• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

blizeH said:
Really don't understand this game at all, I completed the tutorial, then played through some of the first level where I played some slightly tedious and out-dated gameplay, died a hell of a lot and after about 3 hours of playing, I'm no further than when I started. Ahh? :(

What start did you choose? If it's one that has heavy armor take off armor until you can roll reasonably well. Then focus on learning how to fight the enemies without getting hit, with a focus on dodging, blocking with your shield and timing the enemy strikes.

Eccocid

NovemberMike said:
What start did you choose? If it's one that has heavy armor take off armor until you can roll reasonably well. Then focus on learning how to fight the enemies without getting hit, with a focus on dodging, blocking with your shield and timing the enemy strikes.

What is dated gameplay in it i wonder!?
Does he look for auto aim and cover controls?

jett said:
80-90...I think I'm gonna have to desist in that. I don't like grinding in any game.

I'm using a standard Uchi +8 and it is quite powerful. I don't think I am going to bother grinding for bladestones or colorless souls to upgrade hiltless or makoto.

A.R.K

Finally finished the game last night :D. What an amazing game! The last boss fight was kind of a let down in terms of difficulty but I guess the devs were just trying to give us a break from getting our ass kicked so many times throughout the game :lol

Also for some reason I felt bad killing the boss in 5-3. This was the only time I felt this way (I felt really good when killing other bosses) since this was the only boss who didn't seem to be keen on killing you like the rest of them and just wanted to be left alone. Anyways, just a weird feeling I had when defeating 5-3 boss.

NG+ here I come!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Lince said:
And yes, enemies already killed won't respawn when you do this, only the lizards will.
Hory shit. In other words I can put grinding them aside for later, and when I do hunt/load to my heart's content.

Jinfash said:
Hory shit. In other words I can put grinding them aside for later, and when I do hunt/load to my heart's content.

Yes although the gecko respawn is limited and obeys somewhat complicated rules :

Crystal Lizard spawning rules:

* Each Crystal Lizard keep their own counter.
* At the start of game, set all Crystal Lizard counter to 1.

* If the crystal lizard is killed, decrease count by 1.
* If the crystal lizard escapes and dies (by falling off a ledge, for instance), decrease count by 1.
* If the crystal lizard escapes by burrowing, decrease count by 1.

* If a Boss in that world is killed, increase each Crystal Lizard count in that world by 1. For example, in World 2. If you kill all 3 Bosses. Each Crystal Lizard count = 4.

* If a particular Crystal Lizard counter is 0, it doesn't re-spawn.

Respawn notes

* Don't forget after you kill the very last boss in each world, you are not finished with that world. Killing the last boss gives one more Lizard spawn for each, so you can go back and farm all that world's Lizards again.
* Loading the game (use the menu to Load the character you are playing now) revives all Crystal Lizards (and uses up +respawn count) but other enemies stay dead. This is a key strategy for catching Lizards in places where they are hard to approach without scaring them off (like 4-2), or if they are among other enemies. Get to it's location once and kill off any hostile locals, load the game and quickly kill the Lizard and loot, repeat until all the spawns are used up. Be aware this strategy does not work in the last boss level of each world, since loading the game in these places always starts you back at the boss level entrance, not where you reloaded!

Copy pasted from : http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/crystal-lizards

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Herpity derpity dum. I just checked the page, I don't think I'm gonna trouble myself with farming them if they're governed by such rules.

Zzoram

Jinfash said:
but if I'm reading this correctly, even if loading the game will use up the respawn count it would make up for the times I killed bosses without hunting lizards between kills, right?
If I read what you said correctly then yes.

Crystal geckos respawn only once per boss kill in that world. If you kill all bosses before killing them or letting them escape (counts as a lost respawn) then you still have the 3-4 respawns banked.

Jinfash said:
but if I'm reading this correctly, even if loading the game will use up the respawn count it would make up for the times I killed bosses without hunting lizards between kills, right?

Yes. That is correct. Don't let it bother you too much though, the only thing worth remembering is that you shouldn't kill (or let escape) a lizard before having killed a boss in that world.

The most efficient method is to finish a world before going lizard farming (it's not always possible of course or it wouldn't be fun). Basically exactly what you intended to do before I confused you with my stupid post :lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm trying to decide how I'll use the Yellow Demon Soul, with how I'm playing the game right now, I think I'll benefit from both Soul Thirst and Homing Soul Arrow. The former would net me over 12k souls per kill when used in 4-2's soul farming spot, and the latter sounds useful from the many mentions I've read on the Wiki.

I'm leaning towards Soul Thirst, unless someone thinks HSA would be a lot more beneficial.

Basically exactly what you intended to do before I confused you with my stupid post

It's ok man, I got it eventually and that's what matters lol.

elohel

from software not telling us anything is kinda what drove the game

this whole game is about discovery on your own, and how difficult that can be and how patient you must be

rarely do games ever really reward you for these things

who was it that finished the game with sl4 or something?

lol that was crazy

but if you're not into discovery/exploration(not to be mistaken with open world) games then this isn't for you, and sorry if we made it seem like it was lol

IrishNinja

canova said:
yes it's limited

the lizards respawn each time after you kill a boss. so at most, the will respawn 4 times (5 times in world one)

chunk of hardstones are plentiful in 1-3 and 1-4

shit, really? i guess i need black world tendency there...what enemies have them?!

Gaaraz

Thanks guys, seems like I need to stick with it and be a little more patient then! I'm really (really!) not feeling right now at all, don't particularly like the controls and I am surprised people are praising up the camera since I can't get on with it at all and am constantly having to switch it to inverse and back again to try and get it to feel right... odd since I never even normally notice any camera problems in games before.

I'm a Knight by the way (based on nothing but my girlfriend thought it looked quite cool) so maybe that isn't helping me avoid attacks, the roll I do is just super super slow, but I often wield my weapon in both hands which seems a little better than a shield.

roxya

blizeH said:
I'm a Knight by the way (based on nothing but my girlfriend thought it looked quite cool) so maybe that isn't helping me avoid attacks, the roll I do is just super super slow, but I often wield my weapon in both hands which seems a little better than a shield.

Take off some armour until you're under 50% of your equippable weight. Then you can actually roll properly :)

Krauser Kat said:
if you can get to 110 i can give you my +5 sharp.

How much dex do you have, and what is the attack rating when you try to equip that? I wasn't able to get anything with a really high dex modifier, and I was curious what that bump is like.

Solo

Dirty Colossus was such a joke :lol

Just got the Maiden, Blue Dragon, and the 1-4 boss left, then whatever the endgame is.

prodystopian said:
How much dex do you have, and what is the attack rating when you try to equip that? I wasn't able to get anything with a really high dex modifier, and I was curious what that bump is like.
i think im at middle low 50s later 40s and have 340+ The best part about a +5 sharp is i can cursed weapon or light weapon it unlike a +5 crescent.

will let you know when i get home from work

Krauser Kat said:
i think im at middle low 50s later 40s and have 340+ The best part about a +5 sharp is i can cursed weapon or light weapon it unlike a +5 crescent.

will let you know when i get home from work

Wow. I'm almost 100 points lower than that at about the same dex with an Uchi +8.

gdt

Solo said:
What happened, gdt? You were giving me advice last week, but now it appears I'm way ahead of you!

3-1 stopped me dead about a month ago :lol . I have something like 10/11 hrs in the game, and that's just from 1-1, 2-1, and parts of 3-1. And fiddling around (grinding) in 1-1 and 2-1.

Lets Soul Arrow up some guards.

gdt

Solo said:
Get moving, man! I'll probably beat the game today :lol

...aaaand now I remember why I stopped. Those fucking guards are a major pain for me. Crossbow and Soul Arrow barely register, but my Long Sword + 3 rips him. However, get too close, and it's curtains for me.

I was able to take down two, but the third got me.

Solo

You need a higher magic skill and Soul Ray, methinks. If you can't handle the regular ones, you'll certainly stand no chance against the black phantom ones you will encounter later.

oracrest

gdt5016 said:
...aaaand now I remember why I stopped. Those fucking guards are a major pain for me. Crossbow and Soul Arrow barely register, but my Long Sword + 3 rips him. However, get too close, and it's curtains for me.

This is the true stealth level of the game. When the Mind Flayers see you, they can be one of the hardest enemies in the game. Try walking at them from behind, and either duel wield, or use only strong attacks to knock them over. Well timed strong attacks will keep knocking them down until they die.

gdt

Actually made some progress, got some more keys, picked up the Heavy Crossbow (don't have more bolts though), and ran into Freke and a blue glowing dude, but couldn't unlock either of them. Been taking down guards with stealth.

gdt5016 said:

Are you talking about the Cthulu guards? If you've beaten the spider you should be able to get fire spray with the demon soul, and that spell dominates the cthulu guards because you can strafe dodge their spells.

EDIT: Haha, you have to release Freke first...

Hmm, you might try double stacking thief's ring and cloak or demon's prank so you can line up backstabs more easily.

gdt

Woo!

Made alot more progress, got The Warden's Key on that bridge full of arrows (anything else I had to pick up there? I haven't turned off the arrow shooter thing, so I couldn't get more stuff).

Haven't freed Freke yet though, but I found the double passage that the Warden's Key is for...then the guard killed me there lol.

Guards aren't too much trouble anymore, not after I upgraded my magic abilities :lol . 3 hits of Soul Arrow and they're down, or, 2 hits from my Dual Wielded Long Sword :D .

My SA doesn't have too much range though, that's how I died in that long hallway.

Oh well, I'll go back in tonight.

NovemberMike said:
Are you talking about the Cthulu guards? If you've beaten the spider you should be able to get fire spray with the demon soul, and that spell dominates the cthulu guards because you can strafe dodge their spells.

EDIT: Haha, you have to release Freke first...

Hmm, you might try double stacking thief's ring and cloak or demon's prank so you can line up backstabs more easily.
Cthulu guards are easy as hell. you cant be to close or to far. if he is shooting soul ray your to far. Get close enough for them to shoot the paralysis green thing, they will rush you if you are in paralysis or not. The range on the attack is shorter than the distance is goes, just stay out of range and wait for them to come and attack you.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What's the best weapon for someone with 32 magic, 26 strength but low dex and faith? I'm nearing the end of the game and I'm still using the Crescent Falchion +1. Should I just go a ahead and try to upgrade that?

Solo

5-3 done and Blue Dragon annihilated. All I have left is the 1-4 boss (and presumably some kind of endgame), who has raped me several times so far. Im done playing for now, but I do think I figured out a pretty easy way to beat him on my last try. Avoid his big lunge, hit him with Firestorm, retreat, use a few spices to fill magic back up, repeat. Just hitting him once with it took about 1/6 of his life a way, so I think I can probably kill him this way if I can manage to stay out of the way of his other attacks.

Jinfash said:
What's the best weapon for someone with 32 magic, 26 strength but low dex and magic?

We'll need this clarified.

But the Crescent Falchion is a really good sword, gets magic bonus (and does magic damage), and is relatively easy to level up: darkmoon stones drop like crazy in level 4, and since that's the best grinding level anyway, getting it to +5 isn't a chore at all.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
NEOPARADIGM said:
We'll need this clarified.

But the Crescent Falchion is a really good sword, gets magic bonus (and does magic damage), and is relatively easy to level up: darkmoon stones drop like crazy in level 4, and since that's the best grinding level anyway, getting it to +5 isn't a chore at all.
Second is a terribly misspelled faith lol. Fixed.

Thanks for the tip tough.

Novid

Banned
I beat 5-2 and 5-3 some time back.

Whoever made that level gets a complment from me. That has to be the closest thing to the description of hell and sin i have ever seen yet.

RDreamer

Got this game for christmas and started playing about a week ago. I'm liking it a bit more than I thought I would. It's actually a lot more forgiving so far than I thought. For one they could put the bloodstain where you actually died. Instead, they decided to be nice and put it back further kind of where you started the action that killed you. I got back a ton of my souls that would have been for sure lost the other way.

I really didn't like 3-1, which I just beat. It was really hard figuring out how to get anywhere, and those magic dudes were pretty randomly hard. 90% of that hard was due to the crappy targeting system. That thing pisses me off so many times. Really, that's my biggest problem in the game.

4-1 was kicking my ass hard, until I realized I hadn't saved Sage Freke, and then I got Soul Ray and things seem a bit easier. Haven't traveled enough to get to the boss yet, though.

I'm kind of regretting my choice of going with a Dexterity build, and I'm wondering if it's too late for me to switch to Strength or not. I'll edit this post with my complete stats, but my Dex is around 25 and my Strength is 18. Would it be foolish to switch at this point? I've come to realize I prefer using a sword and shield rather than two katanas or whatever people tend to specialize with in Dex builds.

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm kind of regretting my choice of going with a Dexterity build, and I'm wondering if it's too late for me to switch to Strength or not. I'll edit this post with my complete stats, but my Dex is around 25 and my Strength is 18. Would it be foolish to switch at this point? I've come to realize I prefer using a sword and shield rather than two katanas or whatever people tend to specialize with in Dex builds.

You don't necessarily need to switch. I used shield and spear for most of the game with only 22 strength (only to meet a requirement for something I can't remember). For soul levels, focus on endurance and some vitality which will be important for either focus. Then decide when you know which weapon(s) you want to focus on.

Dex builds don't have to be dual katana. There is nothing wrong with using a shield and a katana.

RDreamer

I was going to try and do a sort of hybrid melee and magic build like I do in almost every game, but I realized I've been using like 100% magic so far. What stats should I be upping and to what levels? So far I've been doing intelligence and magic for the most part, but a bit in endurance and vitality to keep me surviving. Is that good?

gdt

Got my ass kicked twice by the Black Phantom Thief in 3-1, any tips with it? How can I get rid of The Plague it sometimes hits me with? What does that do, anyway?

Almost done with this level, I think. Freke is free too.

elohel

gdt5016 said:
Got my ass kicked twice by the Black Phantom Thief in 3-1, any tips with it? How can I get rid of The Plague it sometimes hits me with? What does that do, anyway?

should be one of the flowers errr lotus' or w/e

just make sure you block a lot i think and always wait for her to attack(its a girl on the stairs right?)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
gdt5016 said:

The invisible person on the stairs? I just locked on and side stepped the arrows and blasted her with magic on her recovery. Just walk down the stairs if she tries to use weapons.

Top Bottom