• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

gdt

elohel said:
should be one of the flowers errr lotus' or w/e

just make sure you block a lot i think and always wait for her to attack(its a girl on the stairs right?)

Yeah. Blocking it is then.

IrishNinja

IrishNinja said:
shit, really? i guess i need black world tendency there...what enemies have them?!

still hoping for specifics on those 1-3/1-4 chunks of hardstone!
also: is the WWT event over? im afraid to play online, since i need worlds 2, 4 & 5 black to grind for the last stones i need, but im assuming the lizards might not be coming because im offline (not sure that's how it works, didnt see it in the DS wiki though). so yeah, can anyone confirm the event's over?

roxya

Jinfash said:
What's the best weapon for someone with 32 magic, 26 strength but low dex and faith? I'm nearing the end of the game and I'm still using the Crescent Falchion +1. Should I just go a ahead and try to upgrade that?

Crescent Falchion is fine, you'd also do well with a 2h weapon like a Crushing Mirdan Hammer, which has the advantage of being enchantable, so you can use Light Weapon on it.

Yeah she is easy. Another tip is to back far enough so she whips out her crossbow. After she shoots attack her for massive ownage. Just block all the time and wait for an opening.

Plague is a nightmare. I'm glad you don't come in contact with much enemies that cast/infect you with it.

Solo

gdt5016 said:
Got my ass kicked twice by the Black Phantom Thief in 3-1, any tips with it? How can I get rid of The Plague it sometimes hits me with? What does that do, anyway?

Almost done with this level, I think. Freke is free too.

The black phantom with a crossbow? Just rush up close so they have to switch to melee and Soul Ray the fuck out of her.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Also, if you plan on blocking some of her arrows, remember to equip a large shield. I remember having lots of trouble when I was using a small one.

oracrest

Novid said:
I beat 5-2 and 5-3 some time back.

Whoever made that level gets a complment from me. That has to be the closest thing to the description of hell and sin i have ever seen yet.

For sure.

It's one of the best game atmospheres out there!

Zoe

Solo said:
The black phantom with a crossbow? Just rush up close so they have to switch to melee and Soul Ray the fuck out of her.

As soon as I meleed, she slaughtered me. It's easy to do ranged attacks cause she never heals herself and she won't chase you.

Solo

Zoe said:
As soon as I meleed, she slaughtered me. It's easy to do ranged attacks cause she never heals herself and she won't chase you.

Oh no, don't melee her. But once you get close enough she will switch to melee allowing you to fire magic at her.

Zoe said:
Melee the crap out of her. as soon as she pulls our her bow, run towards her. She should miss if you circle strafe. When she reloads you should be able to get a backstab in. If you have the grave robbers ring from 4-1 equip that and get her to run after you. once you out run her, she should ignore you and start to walk to back to her spawn. You can run up and backstab her now too. You can do this with every black phantom in the game.

Also i figured if you just back up once shes running after you, you should be able to one swipes at her stunning her each time. Just keep backing up and hitting her, she never really raises her shield.

theta11

IrishNinja said:
still hoping for specifics on those 1-3/1-4 chunks of hardstone!
also: is the WWT event over? im afraid to play online, since i need worlds 2, 4 & 5 black to grind for the last stones i need, but im assuming the lizards might not be coming because im offline (not sure that's how it works, didnt see it in the DS wiki though). so yeah, can anyone confirm the event's over?
Yes the event is over.

The geckos work like this: The geckos have an initial single spawn. For every boss you kill on that level +1 gets added to the spawn count. So from killing Phalanx right through to the end of world 1 the geckos will have 1 spawn plus 4 for the bosses you kill. if a gecko gets away from you/dies without you looting you lose that spawn.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Solo said:
All I have left is the 1-4 boss (and presumably some kind of endgame), who has raped me several times so far. Im done playing for now, but I do think I figured out a pretty easy way to beat him on my last try. Avoid his big lunge, hit him with Firestorm, retreat, use a few spices to fill magic back up, repeat. Just hitting him once with it took about 1/6 of his life a way, so I think I can probably kill him this way if I can manage to stay out of the way of his other attacks.
I just beat him using the "super cheap range strategy", as in enter the fog door with a thief ring equipped and shoot him with arrows until he's. I don't think I've missed a single chance of a cheap kill in this game :lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just realized that by killing him that way I missed the only chance of getting the Soulbrandt. OWNED! :<

Jinfash said:
I just realized that by killing him that way I missed the only chance of getting the Soulbrandt. OWNED! :<
aww damn the northern reglia is so worth it too. you will get the demon brandt from the old king. i think its easier to get pure black than pure white.

theta11

Krauser Kat said:
If you have the grave robbers ring from 4-1 equip that and get her to run after you. once you out run her, she should ignore you and start to walk to back to her spawn. You can run up and backstab her now too. You can do this with every black phantom in the game.
this bp has thief ring so this strat doesn't always work since you can easily lose her and get arrowed out of nowhere. best thing for her to be on the offense right after she shoots at you. and try not to get hit with the baby nail. lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Krauser Kat said:
aww damn the northern reglia is so worth it too. you will get the demon brandt from the old king. i think its easier to get pure black than pure white.
Wait a second, who drops the Soulbrandt? I was under the impression that it's the False King, but the wiki states:

Once you have reached the very end of the game and have entered the Old One, you will be forced to fight King Allant.
After you finish the battle the Soulbrandt will be in the ground next to where he died. Make sure you get it.
Old one/King Allen still ahead?

theta11 said:
How is that possible? Soulbrandt is unmissable lol
lol yeah, I think I may have misread the wiki. Someone should clear it up for me. :derp

theta11

Jinfash said:
Wait a second, who drops the Soulbrandt? I was under the impression that it's the False King, but the wiki states:

Old one/King Allen still ahead?

lol yeah, I think I may have misread the wiki. Someone should clear it up for me. :derp
soulbrandt drops from the true last boss under the nexus and is unmissable, but it also means it usable only in newgame +,demonbrandt you can get before though.

IrishNinja

theta11 said:
Yes the event is over.

ah, thanks man - can finally play online again!
again, if anyone's got a good method fore getting chunks of hardstone (one of you said 1-3/1-4, but didn't say where...) please let me know, im apparently out of crystal lizards on my NG+!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've completed all the worlds, except for 5, that's how much you guys ruined it for me. Is it still necessary to equip the Gloom set for this zone?

theta11 said:
soulbrandt drops from the true last boss under the nexus and is unmissable, but it also means it usable only in newgame +,demonbrandt you can get before though.
Yeah, I've already gotten the demonbrandt, but I'm relieved to know I didn't miss it.

theta11

IrishNinja said:
ah, thanks man - can finally play online again!
again, if anyone's got a good method fore getting chunks of hardstone (one of you said 1-3/1-4, but didn't say where...) please let me know, im apparently out of crystal lizards on my NG+!
They were probably refering to geckos in those levels. I THINK the geckos in the gecko pit in 2-2 might also drop chunks, but without gods wrath/ firestorm thats a lost cause, lol.

theta11

Jinfash said:
I've completed all the worlds, except for 5, that's how much you guys ruined it for me. Is it still necessary to equip the Gloom set for this zone?
Do world 5 naked like a real man, nothing like dregding through the swamp in cut offs. On a serious note, heavy armor in the swamp is likely to get you killed. try using black leather set, i think that has poison resistance but really youll get poisoned no matter what you wear.

if you need help with world 5 lemme know, my psn is in my profile

Jinfash said:

Yeah, I've already gotten the demonbrandt, but I'm relieved to know I didn't miss it.
Black leather, thief ring, and lots of running. Its not worth fighting those guys. also bring something to help against fire dmg, and something that does fire damage. Those fire tipped spears suck.

roxya said:
Crescent Falchion is fine, you'd also do well with a 2h weapon like a Crushing Mirdan Hammer, which has the advantage of being enchantable, so you can use Light Weapon on it.

Yeah, a crushing weapon with Light Weapon cast on it is probably the best bet. IIRC there's diminishing returns somewhere around 35 in a stat so your strength could go a little higher (but it isn't a huge deal) and your magic stat seems fine. I'd mostly worry about endurance and vitality.

EDIT: For world five, don't worry about getting poisoned, it takes a couple minutes to do serious amounts of damage. Just stay in the swamp, wear Black Leather and try to run past the big guys.

oracrest

Krauser Kat said:
did you record any one your lvl 1 melee run.

I didn't, no. I'm still behind on recording playthroughs on games. I have never done it before.

I still have a few levels to get through to finish it.

I wanted to do some live playthroughs once I figure out how to do that. Has anyone done one before (with any game.) Is it relatively simple? I probably need a camera to record the screen? or is it typically done by actually hooking the system up to the streaming program?

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm kind of regretting my choice of going with a Dexterity build, and I'm wondering if it's too late for me to switch to Strength or not. I'll edit this post with my complete stats, but my Dex is around 25 and my Strength is 18. Would it be foolish to switch at this point? I've come to realize I prefer using a sword and shield rather than two katanas or whatever people tend to specialize with in Dex builds.

The main pros of Dex builds is that sharp weapons can be enchanted, many of the weapons that can be sharp are good (katana, spear etc) and that you get good bows. It's not just about katanas (iirc dual katana is a pvp thing because it permastuns from the running blow).

Canova

Banned
DEX build doesn't mean you have to use 2 katanas.

DEX build is sill the most versatile melee-build out there. Asian swords, spears, bows are all based on dexterity

DEX build + sharp uchis or hiltless + sticky compound long bow = deadly

IIRC dex actually gets a weapon in each category (or close). Straight swords have broadsword, large swords have flamberge, poles have war scythe, meat cleaver in large clubs, war pick in blunt.

The only thing they are locked out of iirc is axes (and technically great swords). Strength is locked out of spears, asian swords, pointy swords etc, magic is locked out of quite a bit of stuff iirc, same with faith.

theta11

Dex builds to me have always been one of the least versatile builds to me behind strength and infont of bbs builds. the difficulty in obtaining pure bladestone and colorless demon souls, also even though you can use other weapons, anything other than asian swords don't do much damage (war scythe being exception) so if you don't like asian swords you are pretty much screwed. strength and faith are pretty on par with the type of weapons available, with strength doing more damage at the cost of survivability of faith, magic is a mixed bag in that the higher your soul level the better magic builds are.

The only problem with dex is that Pure Bladestone is hard to find. Which is really a big problem, but other than that it's pretty versatile.

EDIT: Basically, the only reason to go Dex is for either bows or asian swords, but you can also branch out from that pretty easily.

theta11

its still not a versatile build (versatile meaning diversity/variety/adaptability ) because there are infact very few options, bbs builds being the only build with less. not that it doesn't have options, but if you use anything other than asian swords youd get better returns using another build. dex builds sacrifice those options at the cost of higher damage in a similar way bbs sacrifices high damage for options. so for dex builds if you don't like asian swords you are screwed in a similar way if you don't like straight swords with bbs you are screwed, but those are 2 highest damage melee builds.

theta11

yeah for unoptimized builds nothing really matters but the 18 str is baseline for optimized builds.

@JimmyStav i'd be happy to delevel you as long as you are in range of my chars. alternately you invade a popular spot repeatedly and suicide. itll reduce your highest stat based on your starting stats other than vit due to item burden issues.

IrishNinja

canova said:
DEX build doesn't mean you have to use 2 katanas.

DEX build is sill the most versatile melee-build out there. Asian swords, spears, bows are all based on dexterity

DEX build + sharp uchis or hiltless + sticky compound long bow = deadly

hey, im a high DEX build with a quality kilij +5 and sticky compound long bow, sitting on like 5 colorless souls...what are the ups and downs of uchis and the hitless? im assuming if i wanted to even consider makoto id have to keep a regen ring going...just wondering if i should be thinking about beefing another weapon.

also, why are you guys saying it needs purefuckingmanlystone pure bladestone? i need one of those for the trophy, trying to grind in 4-2 (back from 4-3, BWT natch) but its really tricky trying to find the exact distance to soulsuck these black skeletons without getting their attention/owned, even with the thief's ring. im told its among the best places for souls, and prolly my best shot at bladestones, which works fine since ive no luck with chunks of hardstone and im tried of farming these fucking squitoes :lol

elohel

theta11 said:
Do world 5 naked like a real man, nothing like dregding through the swamp in cut offs. On a serious note, heavy armor in the swamp is likely to get you killed. try using black leather set, i think that has poison resistance but really youll get poisoned no matter what you wear.

can you roll in black leather? Or does the swamp make it impossible regardless of what you wear?

IrishNinja said:
hey, im a high DEX build with a quality kilij +5 and sticky compound long bow, sitting on like 5 colorless souls...what are the ups and downs of uchis and the hitless? im assuming if i wanted to even consider makoto id have to keep a regen ring going...just wondering if i should be thinking about beefing another weapon.

also, why are you guys saying it needs purefuckingmanlystone pure bladestone? i need one of those for the trophy, trying to grind in 4-2 (back from 4-3, BWT natch) but its really tricky trying to find the exact distance to soulsuck these black skeletons without getting their attention/owned, even with the thief's ring. im told its among the best places for souls, and prolly my best shot at bladestones, which works fine since ive no luck with chunks of hardstone and im tried of farming these fucking squitoes :lol

Its easier to get the blade stone from the skele in the secret passages, it is also faster. Though you get more souls the other way. a good way to check distance is to use an uchi in one hand, if it is touching him you will hit the soul sucker. also wear no armor, you will die in one hit anyway.

IrishNinja said:

From what I've read, at high Dex, Sharp Uchi +5 > Hiltless > Makoto. The bleed damage on Makoto isn't enough to overcome the high damage on Hiltless or an Uchi. Canova will know better than me, though.

prodystopian said:
From what I've read, at high Dex, Sharp Uchi +5 > Hiltless > Makoto. The bleed damage on Makoto isn't enough to overcome the high damage on Hiltless or an Uchi. Canova will know better than me, though.
That's right. With my thief (99 dexterity) there was quite a large difference between those.

Lince said:
you don't need to quit, just get the loot from the lizards position yourself and reload the game from the System menu, no need to quit to the main menu. And yes, enemies already killed won't respawn when you do this, only the lizards will.
well the only execption I can think of is 4-3 where it doesnt work like that lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
theta11 said:

Thanks for offering to help, but I think I got the hang of it.

Black leather set was perfect, it takes a really long walk in the swamp to get me killed. Also, since my character has great magic stats, I came equipped with all my fire spells plus a dragon sword +3 and they've been doing wonders. I'm really close to finishing off 4-2.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Alright so I finally got to spend some time with this last night, beat the first boss and started 1-2 but got my ass kicked before the first fog on the bridge by a bunch of archers and two shielded-knights, questions:

-How often does the Maiden in Black give me Stone of Ephemeral eyes? I didn't go back to the Nexus after the first boss, I trudged along and lost my body in said encounter above. If I use it, get my ass-kicked again and go back will she hook it up with another one or it's a one-time/once in a while donation? If it's scarce I'll save it for the boss fight.

-Is there an item that creates checkpoints? I love everything about the game so far except having to start a level from the beginning when dying. I didn't mind the mid-level shortcut created by opening a hidden gate in 1-1, in fact I love being rewarded by exploration and taking the harder path but there needs to be more of those or said item.

-Who do I kill in the Nexus? In one of the "help a noob" way earlier posts I saw a recommendation to kill a dude who fucks with your shit later without warning. When do I do that?

Demon's Crack indeed. I adore the combat and actually having to take each enemy encounter serious or else I die, the tension of entering a new area and not knowing what baddies to expect, finding good shit when I'm exploring, etc..

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
bone_and_sinew said:
Alright so I finally got to spend some time with this last night, beat the first boss and started 1-2 but got my ass kicked before the first fog on the bridge by a bunch of archers and two shielded-knights, questions:

-How often does the Maiden in Black give me Stone of Ephemeral eyes? I didn't go back to the Nexus after the first boss, I trudged along and lost my body in said encounter above. If I use it, get my ass-kicked again and go back will she hook it up with another one or it's a one-time/once in a while donation? If it's scarce I'll save it for the boss fight.

-Is there an item that creates checkpoints? I love everything about the game so far except having to start a level from the beginning when dying. I didn't mind the mid-level shortcut created by opening a hidden gate in 1-1, in fact I love being rewarded by exploration and taking the harder path but there needs to be more of those or said item.

-Who do I kill in the Nexus? In one of the "help a noob" way earlier posts I saw a recommendation to kill a dude who fucks with your shit later without warning. When do I do that?

Demon's Crack indeed. I adore the combat and actually having to take each enemy encounter serious or else I die, the tension of entering a new area and not knowing what baddies to expect, finding good shit when I'm exploring, etc..
- Stones of ephemeral eyes are somewhat rare, and I don't remember the maiden in black giving out one, which probably answers your question: she won't be giving you any more. Don't ever rely on regaining your physical form to beat bosses, you're bound the play the game mostly in soul form. If you're desperate for extra HP, use the Cling Ring.

Later in the game you'll find vendors selling the Stone of ephemeral eyes for 50k souls.

- There's no checkpoint system of any sort, items or not. However a lot of levels have, as you mentioned, unlockable short cuts. I'll also add one more thing, when you die and start over the level, you'll be more familiar with the level and won't have to go through any detours to gain any items you already picked up. So you'll always find yourself at your bloodstain in a couple of minutes, don't worry you'll see it for yourself and get used to it.

- I think I was the one who asked the question. The NPC in question is called Yurt the Silent Chief, you'll find him locked a in cage in 3-2. As soon as you talk to him and unlock his cell he'll start wandering around his cage, one that is located on a high tower. This guy needs to be dealt with so you have two options: Either kill right after you talk to him and set him free, which will be easier in case your stats are low since you'll easily be able to push him over the ledge, or ignore him and beat the boss of 3-2. If you go with the latter you'll find him somewhere in the Nexus with two unnamed NPC bodies laying around him. If continue ignoring him he'll kill one NPC after every boss fight you complete.

The only downside of killing him right away is that you have to comeback later for his set of armor (after dying, reloading or killing the boss) and you'll have to worry about his set's item weight, whereas in the Nexus you won't have to worry about that since Stockpile Tom is right next to you.

I hope that helps.

Zoe

Jinfash said:
- I think I was the one who asked the question. The NPC in question is called Yurt the Silent Chief, you'll find him locked a in cage in 3-1.

He's in 3-2.

bone_and_sinew said:

Most people use them to modify their world tendency. Play the game in soul form, it's not too bad.

Most levels tend to either be short or have a shortcut. 2-1 has a shortcut, 2-2 has a shortcut from the start, 3-1 is based around finding keys so once you have them you're good, 3-2 has a shortcut, 4-1 and 4-2 don't have shortcuts but aren't too long and 5-1 and 5-2 have shortcuts of sorts.

You rescue him in 3-2. Just kill him there if you want.

Top Bottom