• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is WWT over? I'm gonna play today, but I'll play off line if it's over.

theta11

You can farm stone of ephemeral eyes from plague babies and giant depraved ones in world 5.

edit: it's the black phantom giant depraved ones, so just shift the world pure black and run back from the dirty colosssus stone or if you are feeling brave hop into the baby pit. lol

theta11

IrishNinja said:
hey, im a high DEX build with a quality kilij +5 and sticky compound long bow, sitting on like 5 colorless souls...what are the ups and downs of uchis and the hitless? im assuming if i wanted to even consider makoto id have to keep a regen ring going...just wondering if i should be thinking about beefing another weapon.

also, why are you guys saying it needs purefuckingmanlystone pure bladestone? i need one of those for the trophy, trying to grind in 4-2 (back from 4-3, BWT natch) but its really tricky trying to find the exact distance to soulsuck these black skeletons without getting their attention/owned, even with the thief's ring. im told its among the best places for souls, and prolly my best shot at bladestones, which works fine since ive no luck with chunks of hardstone and im tried of farming these fucking squitoes :lol
you are using the wrong ring o_O you need graverobbers ring/hidden soul miracle, don't forget to be in soul form, and if you are in body wear something light like leather. it is one of the best places for souls (offline) and the only place for pure bladestone :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
5-1 cleared!

5-2 cleared!

Maiden Slain!

Garland Slain!

BP Garland Slain!

All that is left is the old one. W00t!

theta11 said:
you are using the wrong ring o_O you need graverobbers ring/hidden soul miracle, don't forget to be in soul form, and if you are in body wear something light like leather. it is one of the best places for souls (offline) and the only place for pure bladestone :(
the black skele in the secret tunnel drops pure blade stones too.

Jinfash said:
5-1 cleared!

5-2 cleared!

Maiden Slain!

Garland Slain!

BP Garland Slain!

All that is left is the old one. W00t!
if want maidens soul
walk away from maiden
if you want beast demons soul (200k souls or the ability to dupe it)
kill the maiden

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I had absolutely no idea that I had to turn my character's tendency to black in order "unlock" Mephistopheles. Bah, I hope I didn't miss much by missing out on that.

Krauser Kat said:
if want maidens soul
walk away from maiden
if you want beast demons soul (200k souls or the ability to dupe it)
kill the maiden
I was gonna go with the good ending, but dupe the beast demon soul?! tell me more!

Edit: I looked it up and it sounds complicated. Pass.

Solo

Where do I aim at for doing the uber cheap arrow method on the 1-4 boss? I step inside the fog, pull out my bow, but I can't tell if Im hitting him or not. When I aim at what seems to be dead on his head, the arrow hits the top step. When I go higher, it seems to sail over him How do I know if Im hitting him?

IrishNinja

Krauser Kat said:
Its easier to get the blade stone from the skele in the secret passages, it is also faster. Though you get more souls the other way. a good way to check distance is to use an uchi in one hand, if it is touching him you will hit the soul sucker. also wear no armor, you will die in one hit anyway.

ah, gonna try your uchi method, thanks. is wearing no armor just to move quicker, or? i can already roll fairly fast, guess you're right though, im not making if im caught anyway..

prodystopian said:
From what I've read, at high Dex, Sharp Uchi +5 > Hiltless > Makoto. The bleed damage on Makoto isn't enough to overcome the high damage on Hiltless or an Uchi. Canova will know better than me, though.

huh...guess ill have to try it out, then. ive gotten so used to the particular range and speed of the kalij, it might take some getting used to...my DEX is like 50, STR is 41 so is a bit've a blend, would i still stand to gain much here?

theta11 said:

crap, that's what i get for offing people in the nexus
for mephistopholes
:lol , no chance to put that miracle on right now. graverobber would be better than thief ring for this task? and yeah, totally playing as a soul.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
Where do I aim at for doing the uber cheap arrow method on the 1-4 boss? I step inside the fog, pull out my bow, but I can't tell if Im hitting him or not. When I aim at what seems to be dead on his head, the arrow hits the top step. When I go higher, it seems to sail over him How do I know if Im hitting him?

Your avatar is disappointed! :p

Engage him in melee, you'll notice how slow he is, just like the Penetrator. With enough herbs and a powerful weapon(like the one Old King Doran gives you), it's not hard. If you want extra protection, I recommend the chestplate of the Brushwood armor + a ring of great strength for mobility.

theta11

IrishNinja said:
crap, that's what i get for offing people in the nexus
for mephistopholes
:lol , no chance to put that miracle on right now. graverobber would be better than thief ring for this task? and yeah, totally playing as a soul.

Yeah, the Graverobber's Ring works better (gives a slightly higher level of stealth) for Black Phantoms.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Solo said:
If you're still wondering about the cheap method:

Super Cheap Ranged Strategy

Wear the Thief's Ring and just after you enter the fog, don't move. Pull out your bow and manually aim at his head. If the King's life bar is not showing across the bottom of the screen, then he won't attack you. So just hammer him with arrows for the easy victory.

Note 1: As he gets hit with arrows he will slowly take steps back and gets further away from you. If you're doing less than 25 damage, you won't be able to kill him because he will get too far away for you to hit him.

Note 2: Equip both the Morion Blade and Clever Rat's Ring or either get your health below 30%. You will have an easier time with the added attack power from these items.

Note 3: If you're having trouble doing enough damage before he steps out of arrow range, Rotten Arrows are recommended. It takes approximately 150 arrows to kill him. It's expensive, but extremely effective.

Note 4: Using a White Bow with about 100 Heavy Arrows should just about kill him, making it a much cheaper way to fight.
I was in hyper mode, used a regular compound long bow +5 with heavy arrows, and I was pulling 100 damage. As soon as you enter the fog and aim you'll find his head barely sticking out from above the stairs, aim and shoot, and as soon as one of the arrows hit hold that position. He'll slowly start backing away and his head will disappear from your view but keep shooting from the same position and you'll keep hitting him.

Solo said:
What is hyper mode?
It's when you have less than 30% health and gain an attack boosts from either the Morion Blade or a Clever Rat's Ring, or both.

Another option for fighting the 1-4 boss is using bow and arrows up close. Use R3 to lock onto him then shoot him once or twice. Dodge his attack or run away. Shoot him again, then rinse and repeat.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Jinfash said:
I had absolutely no idea that I had to turn my character's tendency to black in order "unlock" Mephistopheles. Bah, I hope I didn't miss much by missing out on that.

I was gonna go with the good ending, but dupe the beast demon soul?! tell me more!

Edit: I looked it up and it sounds complicated. Pass.
If you are going for trophies and haven't got a friend's ring from the monumental yet, turn your character pure white first! It's immensely annoying going from pure black to pure white.

morion blade + clever cats ring. gives you a dmg multiplier something close to 5. i remember being in hyper mode with a pure black northern regalia and being close to 2500. you can also use a few rotten arrows to help speed up the fight by giving him plague. also see if light arrows do more dmg im sure he is pretty far away.

Inanna said:
If you are going for trophies and haven't got a friend's ring from the monumental yet, turn your character pure white first! It's immensely annoying going from pure black to pure white.
cant you get the ring, just from being pure white. might be easier to start a new character and go from neutral to white. Im pretty sure that killing the black phantom skele in 4-2 messes with your character tendency. after farming him for a bit i, lost my max power on the regalia.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
For Foe's ring you need to be pure black and kill the witch in nexus for Mephistopheles and she'll give it to you. I ended up playing the game twice more (on top of my 3rd game+ so I was on game+++++!!) because I did not plan beforehand and went pure black on my 3rd playthrough before going pure white. I had to kill all the unique named black phantoms in each world twice at least! Only really had problem with Garland's sister Selend (I think? can't remember her name, its been a while since I played the game) in 5-2, and the stasuki guy in 4-1.

Krauser Kat said:
cant you get the ring, just from being pure white. might be easier to start a new character and go from neutral to white. Im pretty sure that killing the black phantom skele in 4-2 messes with your character tendency. after farming him for a bit i, lost my max power on the regalia.
Nope, only killing harmless named NPCs messes with your character tendency. Like people in the nexus or merchants in each world. If you want to make your character pure white, you have to kill all the named black phantoms in each world, and for them to appear you need to turn the world tendency pure black first.

Inanna said:
For Foe's ring you need to be pure black and kill the witch in nexus for Mephistopheles and she'll give it to you. I ended up playing the game twice more (on top of my 3rd game+ so I was on game+++++!!) because I did not plan beforehand and went pure black on my 3rd playthrough before going pure white. I had to kill all the unique named black phantoms in each world twice at least! Only really had problem with Garland's sister Selend (I think? can't remember her name, its been a while since I played the game) in 5-2, and the stasuki guy in 4-1.

Nope, only killing harmless named NPCs messes with your character tendency. Like people in the nexus or merchants in each world. If you want to make your character pure white, you have to kill all the named black phantoms in each world, and for them to appear you need to turn the world tendency pure black first.
if you have a friend who can lose a few levels, you can have them invade you. Killing an invading BP get you closer to white too.

Towards White

Defeat invading Black Phantom
In 3-3, defeat invading Black Phantom as Old Monk - counts as Black Phantom kill. Offline mode doesn't count.
Strike the fatal blow against a Black Phantom as a Blue Phantom in another world - in addition, the host Character Tendency will also go towards White
Defeat Unique Named NPC Black Phantoms which appear only with Pure Black World Tendency.
This applies only to these five unique "named" NPC Black Phantoms:
1-1 Defeat Black Phantom - Executioner Miralda (+1)
2-2 Defeat Black Phantom - Scirvir, the Wanderer (+1)
3-1 Defeat Black Phantom - Lord Rydell (+1)
4-1 Defeat Black Phantom - Satsuki (+1)
5-2 Defeat Black Phantom - Selen Vinland (+1)
Defeating any of these will shift the Character Tendency 20% from Neutral towards White. Defeating all five will move the Character Tendency from Neutral to Pure White (it takes two playthroughs, or 10 kills, to go from pure black to pure white offline).

theta11

Hyper Mode gives 110% damage bonus, It's possible Hyper Mode damage ignores defenses. Casters can go even higher by adding Monk's Head Wrapping.

theta11

You can cheap kill Selen Vinland with Soul Sucker, just sneak up behind her, 2nd easiest BP, Imo BP Satsuki is the hardest enemy in the game.

theta11 said:
You can cheap kill Selen Vinland with Soul Sucker, just sneak up behind her, 2nd easiest BP, Imo BP Satsuki is the hardest enemy in the game.
i killed him on accident with hyper mode. He hit me and i barely survived but it activated the mode and i just swung once and finished him off.

Krauser Kat said:
i killed him on accident with hyper mode. He hit me and i barely survived but it activated the mode and i just swung once and finished him off.

With what?

I took him out with an uchi+8 and Makoto not upgraded. He isn't too bad with max endurance since you can stunlock him with the two katanas, but with that combo it took quite a few hits. I really enjoyed that fight.

At what point should I start to stick with a weapon and upgrade the hell out of it? I have hiltless, ughigatana, dragon sword, etc., but I'm not sure which one to commit to. I haven't really spent any of my upgrade materials.

Jimmy Stav said:
At what point should I start to stick with a weapon and upgrade the hell out of it? I have hiltless, ughigatana, dragon sword, etc., but I'm not sure which one to commit to. I haven't really spent any of my upgrade materials.

Once you've decided you like one. Remember that you can get hard and sharp shards (small and large) from the 2-2 vendor.

NovemberMike said:
Once you've decided you like one. Remember that you can get hard and sharp shards (small and large) from the 2-2 vendor.

Is that all I should take into consideration, or are there right and wrong choices?

Canova

Banned
Solo said:

Why? why would you want to cheap him first playthru? his battle is epic. it deserves a mano-a-mano fight

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
canova said:
Why? why would you want to cheap him first playthru? his battle is epic. it deserves a mano-a-mano fight
True. Plus, he's really not that difficult if you have a good enough upgraded weapon + total protection. Just avoid his grab attack that de-level you and you'll be fine.

Inanna said:
True. Plus, he's really not that difficult if you have a good enough upgraded weapon + total protection. Just avoid his grab attack that de-level you and you'll be fine.

I agree. I got crushed once or twice and settled in for a few hours of battling him, but it only took a few tries. He only has a few attacks. One major thing to take advantage of is his AoE attack where he sticks his sword into the ground. He takes forever to charge it. My strategy was to stay about 1/4 of the room away. When I noticed him charging that, I was able to get to him and hit him before he could use that. He would also do the charge attack from across the room, which was incredibly easy to dodge and hit. Those two were most of where I got my damage and then I would run away again.

Jimmy Stav said:
Is that all I should take into consideration, or are there right and wrong choices?

Well, it's somewhat difficult to get the materials to upgrade so you can usually only get one blessed weapon to 5, one moon weapon to 5 etc per walkthrough, which means you should probably make sure you want to upgrade that weapon, but other than that there's no huge penalty to making a wrong decision.

I've heard really good things about this game, but I am wondering if it is easy to get into. The extent of my experience with RPGs only goes as far as Oblivion and Fallout 3. Those were fairly easy for me to get into.

-Yeti said:
I've heard really good things about this game, but I am wondering if it is easy to get into. The extent of my experience with RPGs only goes as far as Oblivion and Fallout 3. Those were fairly easy for me to get into.

Strictly speaking I'd say no, it's not easy to get into; and the game is pretty hit and miss with a lot of people more generally. But, that said, it's one of those games where if you do manage to get into it, it'll likely crack your top 5 for this gen.

Okay, so, onto the reason I'm posting:

I attacked
Yurt
, and he fell to his death. Is his gear now inaccessible, or can I just not find it? This has happened to me twice now. I've looked everywhere, and I even know right where he fell this time - still no luck. Obviously I can just get it on the next playthrough, but it just doesn't seem right. For God's sake I just picked up
Miranda's
gear a minute ago and I killed her, I don't even know how long ago (i.e., multiple lives ago, multiple days ago).

Man

-Yeti said:
The difficulty is an urban legend btw. Game actually dares to kill you!

-Yeti said:

It's far more similar to Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden than Oblivion or Fallout, although the speed is below the actual action games.

I guess I'll rent it first then. I don't want another game to be frustrated at, but at the same time I really want a good RPG to play.

Hopefully I find it to be the latter.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Strictly speaking I'd say no, it's not easy to get into; and the game is pretty hit and miss with a lot of people more generally. But, that said, it's one of those games where if you do manage to get into it, it'll likely crack your top 5 for this gen.

Okay, so, onto the reason I'm posting:

I attacked
Yurt
, and he fell to his death. Is his gear now inaccessible, or can I just not find it? This has happened to me twice now. I've looked everywhere, and I even know right where he fell this time - still no luck. Obviously I can just get it on the next playthrough, but it just doesn't seem right. For God's sake I just picked up
Miranda's
gear a minute ago and I killed her, I don't even know how long ago (i.e., multiple lives ago, multiple days ago).

Quit and reload the zone and his armor will be sitting on the platform (or so I've heard).

IrishNinja

ok, so a friend & i took turns grinding, got the marrowstone down! grinding with BPs in 4-2 (from 4-3) now, gaining mad levels whilst holding out for pure bladestone...any day now...if i get impatient, ill start taking out the BP in the hidden chamber.

which leaves me 11 chunks of hardstone away from completing my grind & getting back on with the game proper. ive clearly exhausted the cyrstal lizards in both 2-2 and 1-3, so i was thinking, if i go kill
the dragon in 1-4, you think they'll come back? i could go take out the boss at the end of 1-4 but then you go into endgame mode, and i know you cant soul level anymore, but i cant recall if you have access to the other levels.
i'm told the gap between NG+ and 3rd playthrough isnt quite as wide as it was from my first to 2nd game, and it looks like ill need at least one more full run (plus half another) for the last of the demon's souls i need for spells anyway, just wondering how i should plan to go about this to ensure i dont have a hard time gathering these things.

oh yeah - gotta check the DS wiki, but you guys were saying sharp uchi was the way to go. if i have say 99 DEX and like 50 STR, isnt quality (c on both stats) gonna offer more than sharp (s on dex)? i seem to recall reading that somewhere, and that's kinda how my stats are shaping up at the moment.

theta11

NEOPARADIGM said:
I attacked
Yurt
Miranda's
Yeah, If he falls to his death, save (by going into your inventory and backing out) then load your character profile. I'm not sure however if you leave 3-2 and come back it will still be there though.

(When he falls off he actually dies before he hits the ground so his loot actually just floats in mid air which is why you couldn't see it on the floor)

theta11

Krauser Kat said:

In new game ++ and above all his hits are one hit kills. =(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
theta11 said:
Yeah, If he falls to his death, save (by going into your inventory and backing out) then load your character profile. I'm not sure however if you leave 3-2 and come back it will still be there though.

(When he falls off he actually dies before he hits the ground so his loot actually just floats in mid air which is why you couldn't see it on the floor)
Yeah, it'll still be there, next to his cage.

Jimmy Stav said:
Quit and reload the zone and his armor will be sitting on the platform (or so I've heard).

theta11 said:

Jinfash said:
Yeah, it'll still be there, next to his cage.

Sweet fellas, thanks.

D-Pad

Was playing this today and went into the world with the rolling skeletons for the first time (and shortly after I beat the first boss (in world 1). After facing near death I decide the world was not for me and headed back for the Nexus. "Cannot leave while in multiplayer mode" (or something. Huh?! I tried again, no luck. Next thing I know a red guy appears. My sister, who was watching at the time, jumps up and says something like, "Oooooh crap I think someone is invading your world!" Fucker just stood there and kept taunting me nearer. each of his(her?) swings was a near ohko. Needless to say I died.:lol

Is this sort of thing going to happen the whole game? Because that'll suck if some overpowered player invades while I'm in the middle of a boss fight or something.

I know this is mentioned breifly in the the guides, so I'm not really looking for an answer. Just posting my first impressions/experience with the game. Don't really see the appeal just yet, but my sister seems into it so it's all good.

D-Pad said:
Is this sort of thing going to happen the whole game? Because that'll suck if some overpowered player invades while I'm in the middle of a boss fight or something.
You can only be invaded by other players when you're in body form (after beating a boss or after using a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes), and it can't happen during a boss battle. Invading players are also always a lower level then you are, so unless you waste your stat allocations on luck you shouldn't be underpowered.

Top Bottom