• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zzoram

I logged on once to get my worlds PWWT but couldn't play during the event. I'm going to play Offline next week to get the special events before going Online again to neutralize my WT.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
archnemesis said:
You can only be invaded by other players when you're in body form (after beating a boss or after using a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes), and it can't happen during a boss battle. Invading players are also always a lower level then you are, so unless you waste your stat allocations on luck you shouldn't be underpowered.
Or you can log out of PSN if you're too scared of being invaded when you're in body form. I'm sorry but I'm in this thread solely to offer cowardly advice. :lol

theta11

D-Pad said:
Is this sort of thing going to happen the whole game? Because that'll suck if some overpowered player invades while I'm in the middle of a boss fight or something.
World 4 and in particular 4-1 is the most invaded world. Back in the day it was the unofficial PvP world. You are more likely to get invaded there than anywhere else.

Also you can't be invaded while in boss fight and walking through the boss fog ejects all black phantoms from your world.

I'm looking for some advice on an upgrade path for a weapon that'll take me through my first playthrough.

SL78
Vitality 32
Intelligence 15
Strength 18
Dexterity 25
Magic 10
Faith 16
Luck 10

I hate the HP loss of Hiltless, and I think (in this game) katanas are a bit lame. I'm regretting my choice of a Dex build right now, but are there any non-katanas that I can get a damage bonus with Dex? I've been using the Dragon Long Sword +1 and a Steel Shield. Whatever weapon I'm recommended, I want to still use a shield.

npm0925

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm looking for some advice on an upgrade path for a weapon that'll take me through my first playthrough.

SL78
Vitality 32
Intelligence 15
Strength 18
Dexterity 25
Magic 10
Faith 16
Luck 10

I hate the HP loss of Hiltless, and I think (in this game) katanas are a bit lame. I'm regretting my choice of a Dex build right now, but are there any non-katanas that I can get a damage bonus with Dex? I've been using the Dragon Long Sword +1 and a Steel Shield. Whatever weapon I'm recommended, I want to still use a shield.
Increase STR to 22 for the Purple Dragon Shield and go with a custom-made quality winged spear +5 (which draws its bonuses from STR and DEX).

theta11

Jimmy Stav said:

SL78
Vitality 32
Intelligence 15
Strength 18
Dexterity 25
Magic 10
Faith 16
Luck 10

You should be more than strong enough to beat the game, the lowest I've personally done is 48.

Even though weapons like Hiltless take damage from Dex, you don't have enough Dex for it to beat out the static damage weapons like the Dragon enchant, I think you need to have around 30 of a specialized stat before it starts getting better than Dragon. Imo Dragon weapons are the best weapon to use on your first playthrough since they are so easy to make +5 and generally not until around SL 80 (If you have an optimized build) will special weapons start to beat out Dragon/Soulbrandt/Demonbrandt.

Anyhow, for options (weapons with Sharp enchants which add damage with Dex stat) you have Winged Spear, War Scythe, Flamberge or if you go with the Quality enchant which might be better since your Dex and Str are both in the 20ish range you've got a few more options and Clearstones are way easier to get than Bladestones so that is also a good route. There are more weapons with the Quality enchant than I care to list here, so yeah you have your pick with either that or Dragon but I highly recommend Dragon for your first playthrough.

theta11

npm0925 said:
Increase STR to 22 for the Purple Dragon Shield and go with a custom-made quality winged spear +5 (which draws its bonuses from STR and DEX).

purple dragon shield is not worth the upgrade points for non str builds, its heavier than the steel shield and the both have similar endurance and only adds 20% additional fire damage reduction. its just not good enough, hed get better returns getting his vit and endurance to 40 first.

gdt

Wooo! Fuck you 3-1 Boss.

Used her soul to learn Soul Ray, was that a good choice?

I also have that Fireball spell from the 2-1 boss, but I can only remember one spell at a time, how can I upgrade that?

I like the idea of sticking with the Dragon Sword if only because I wasn't very smart about Crystal Lizard spawns and whatnot. If I do go with that, should I just focus all of my points on End and Vit, while leaving Str and Dex alone? I'm not sure when I'll ever have time for a second playthrough.

theta11

Jimmy Stav said:
I like the idea of sticking with the Dragon Sword if only because I wasn't very smart about Crystal Lizard spawns and whatnot. If I do go with that, should I just focus all of my points on End and Vit, while leaving Str and Dex alone? I'm not sure when I'll ever have time for a second playthrough.

If you aren't going to go again yeah just stick with a dragon weapon, you can get shards and chunks from the bear bugs in 2-2 and there a pure dragonstone in the lava and another for killing dragon god. you can also buy shards of dragonstone from the merchant in 2-2.

gdt5016 said:
Wooo! Fuck you 3-1 Boss.

Used her soul to learn Soul Ray, was that a good choice?

I also have that Fireball spell from the 2-1 boss, but I can only remember one spell at a time, how can I upgrade that?

Intellect increases your MP and Spell Memory, you get a new slot at level 10,14,18,24,30 and 40

theta11 said:
If you aren't going to go again yeah just stick with a dragon weapon, you can get shards and chunks from the bear bugs in 2-2 and there a pure dragonstone in the lava and another for killing dragon god. you can also buy shards of dragonstone from the merchant in 2-2.

Intellect increase your MP and Spell Memory

So if I go with the dragon sword, I'm basically eliminating the option of a second playthrough? That isn't necessarily a problem, as I doubt I'll have time for this game again until Project Dark comes out.

And thank you for the help so far.

theta11

Jimmy Stav said:
So if I go with the dragon sword, I'm basically eliminating the option of a second playthrough? That isn't necessarily a problem, as I doubt I'll have time for this game again until Project Dark comes out.

And thank you for the help so far.

No not at all, it's just that dragon weapons don't scale at all with your stats, only part your stats come into play is to equip the weapon in particular, as you go through new game+ and level the dragon weapon becomes less optimal because weapons that scale with your stats start to pull away. the only problem with dragon weapons is that if you can upgrade one to max early into the first playthrough it more or less trivializes alot of the game, where the only enemies that are hard to beat enemies which are strong against fire which is only in world 2. most other things die in 1-2 hits.

Solo

Finally beat the 1-4 boss, and beat the game :) The 1-4 boss is, for all intents and purposes, the final boss of the game, since the actual final boss is such a fucking joke. I just walked up to him, used Firestorm ONCE, fight over :lol :lol

Anyways, amazing game, will be there day one for Project Dark and the inevitable Demon's Souls 2, but I will never touch this game again.

Draft

Solo said:
Finally beat the 1-4 boss, and beat the game :) The 1-4 boss is, for all intents and purposes, the final boss of the game, since the actual final boss is such a fucking joke. I just walked up to him, used Firestorm ONCE, fight over :lol :lol

Anyways, amazing game, will be there day one for Project Dark and the inevitable Demon's Souls 2, but I will never touch this game again.
The fact that you firestormed poor old King Allant is just hilarious.

Solo

I Firestormed darn near every one of the last 8-9 bosses I faced :lol :lol It was a necessity for certain fights (Maneater, 1-4 Allant), and twisted pleasure for the others.

Draft

I think Allant's demon is one of the more entertaining fights to do straight melee style. Definitely firestormed the hell out of Maneater, though :lol

Draft said:
I think Allant's demon is one of the more entertaining fights to do straight melee style. Definitely firestormed the hell out of Maneater, though :lol

I agree this battle has a really nice feel to it and it's not that difficult a fight either (if you can roll). Just dogde everything and run up to the bad guy with you two handed weapon when he charges his magic attack.

Favorite boss alongside Old Hero.

MWS Natural said:
I've had this game for about 2 weeks now but I've been too scared to start. Give me some motivation GAF! lol
I've had the game since August and haven't played it yet for the same reason. I'm waiting for when I have a full day or two to dedicate to playing it.

DIrtyWeasel said:
I've had the game since August and haven't played it yet for the same reason. I'm waiting for when I have a full day or two to dedicate to playing it.

I've been occasionally following the thread but it feels overwhelming reading all of the various choices of builds and strategy.

MWS Natural said:
I've been occasionally following the thread but it feels overwhelming reading all of the various choices of builds and strategy.

You absolutely don't need to worry about that (or world/character tendency) to finish the game. I would advise players not to distribute points evenly. If you can't decide to go magic/strength/dex or whatever, just invest in vitality or endurance until you figure it out as those are both very helpful up to 40.

MWS Natural said:

It only matters in the second playthrough. First time Dragon weapons are the best and they don't care about your stats.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm trying to get Yuria but I already beat 1-3. I have the keys already so I went down to where Biorr is and got the bloody set, but I don't have the official's cap. Can I still get it here somehow?

Zeal

Banned
can we get some new project dark info up in this bitch. god, cannot wait to see the sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. yes, greatest. ever.

prodystopian said:
You absolutely don't need to worry about that (or world/character tendency) to finish the game. I would advise players not to distribute points evenly. If you can't decide to go magic/strength/dex or whatever, just invest in vitality or endurance until you figure it out as those are both very helpful up to 40.

This exactly.

Also don't put anything in luck unless you know what you're doing.

Make sure you're able to roll (= remove pieces of armor until you can roll smoothly. You don't want to get hit anyway)

Wear the thief ring.

Pay attention to your vitality bar, when it depletes, how fast it regenerates.

The game is not that hard, but you must heed your enemies : treat each of them as a lethal adversary. Don't rush. Focus on recognizing their attack patterns, rolling/dodging their attacks, blocking them and then (only then) hitting when there's an opening.

Don't feel bad for losing souls.

The game may seem overwhelming at first. Then it clicks. When that happens you realize it's actually as fair as one can be (and anyway you end up enjoying your failed attempts almost as much as your successes).

Canova

Banned
Solo said:

aw c'mon, so that's it? at least you gotta do 2-3 more playthrus to get all the gold trophies, co-op a few times, invade a couple of noobs. You have beaten the game, come this far, it'd be a waste not to enjoy NG+

theta11

canova said:
aw c'mon, so that's it? at least you gotta do 2-3 more playthrus to get all the gold trophies, co-op a few times, invade a couple of noobs. You have beaten the game, come this far, it'd be a waste not to enjoy NG+

True Demon's Souls starts here.

Papercuts said:
Huh, the fat official isn't there anymore. Doesn't look like I can get the cap. =(

I got a few caps I can hook you up with if you need one.

Papercuts

theta11 said:
I summon you or you summon me and I drop the cap on the floor and you pick it up. lol

Ooh, that sounds good. I really want to get Yuria so I can get firestorm. Don't we need to be similar soul levels? I'm a 53 right now.

theta11

Papercuts said:
Ooh, that sounds good. I really want to get Yuria so I can get firestorm. Don't we need to be similar soul levels? I'm a 53 right now.

My PSN is in my profile, add me and shoot me a message, I'm online alot.

theta11

MWS Natural said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I have been reading the Demons Soul's wiki and I am thinking of starting as a Hunter or Royalty.

Royalty is always a good choice for casters, melee its usually Temple Knight.

Solo said:
Oh fuck no. Loved the game, but its the definition of one-and-done for me.

I'm getting close to finishing and I think I'll do the same (and it helps that my finishing it will coincide with the start of the semester, so I don't have much of a choice).

Solo and Jimmy: I did have some fun playing around in NG+ and would encourage you to do the same.

I killed Satsuki's black phantom and some others. I can't go through a few more times and go after trophies, though. It would require the amount of time equal to another game or two and I'd rather work on my backlog.

prodystopian said:
Solo and Jimmy: I did have some fun playing around in NG+ and would encourage you to do the same.

I killed Satsuki's black phantom and some others. I can't go through a few more times and go after trophies, though. It would require the amount of time equal to another game or two and I'd rather work on my backlog.

I think the frustration of World 5 is enough to keep me from playing through again. 5-2 is fucking insane. How in the hell are you supposed to deal with the constant poison and water?

Jimmy Stav said:
I think the frustration of World 5 is enough to keep me from playing through again. 5-2 is fucking insane. How in the hell are you supposed to deal with the constant poison and water?

I wouldn't know, I didn't do all of NG+:lol

Jimmy Stav said:

SL78
Vitality 32
Intelligence 15
Strength 18
Dexterity 25
Magic 10
Faith 16
Luck 10

Use Meat Cleaver if you still have Adjucator's soul. Since your strength is 18, you can two hand it just fine. Having dex and faith also raises its attack power. You need a lot of endurance to do it's 3 hit combo with hyper armor. So what class did you start with again?
Jimmy Stav said:
Easiest way is to upgrade Adjucator's shield from 4-1 up to +5. It's +8hp/sec nullifies the poison from the swamp. I can walk around all day in that thing.

Solo

Jimmy Stav said:

Adjucator's shield (no upgrades) + ring of regeneration.

RyanDG

Jimmy Stav said:
How in the hell are you supposed to deal with the constant poison and water?

There's a lot of poison resistance rings/armor combinations you can wear specifically for that level. It's what I did. And make sure you kill as many of the floating lily pad/flower things - they drop a ton of Royal Lotus'.

IrishNinja

goddamn, grinded up to SL 185 over in 4-2 with black tendency, this pure bladestone is just not happening. :lol i hear my odds are 1 in 200, so im gonna keep at it! few quick questions:

1) if i beat the boss of 1-4, that should reset a few crystal lizards right? i can still access 2-2/1-3/etc before the endgame?

2) again, whats the fascination with making an uchi w/sharp? if my dex is like 99 and str is 50+, wouldnt quality be better? i gotta check the wiki but im thinking a c in two stats > s in one.

Kalnos

Banned
So, the last time I played this game was about 1 year ago to date, and I'm looking to start again. Last time I was a Wanderer, any advice/ideas on class and build selection? :D

Kalnos said:
So, the last time I played this game was about 1 year ago to date, and I'm looking to start again. Last time I was a Wanderer, any advice/ideas on class and build selection? :D
Play how you like. Until you decide on build, then go from there.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on 5-2. It made it doable.

Definitely regretting my decision to go with Dex instead of Strength. I think at 25 Dex it's too late to turn back. Oh well.

IrishNinja

aw, don't sweat putting a few extra points into DEX! its not like its luck or something :lol

honestly though, if you plan on replaying the game, i dont think you'll mind the extra points there. we might have entirely different builds, but both my kilij and sticky compound bow get strong bonuses from dex, so if there's one stat to fuck up and put more points in than your build might've needed, i think you're safe there.

Papercuts

What's a good way to kill the blue dragon in 1-4? I was trying to just chip it down with Soul Ray but that was taking FOREVER. I got it down to half so it moved, but the second area makes the camera freak out pretty good if you try and lock on to hit. I had it below 25% and ended up getting hit twice when the camera spazzed, don't really want to do that again.

I haven't been using a bow at all, but it seems like it's pretty much needed for this(Unless there's a spell that is much more effective against it I'm missing). Pretty overwhelming trying to see what bow is best though, where should I start? I have access to pretty much every area now.

Top Bottom