• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Solo said:
Oh fuck no. Loved the game, but its the definition of one-and-done for me.
I, on the other hand, will definitely go for a second playthrough. There are so many things I left thinking I'd get the chance of covering before the game ends, but I had no idea the stupid Maiden would stop leveling me up after beating all the worlds. My only regret was not consulting the guide that promises completing everything in one playthrough.

Solo said:
Adjucator's shield (no upgrades) + ring of regeneration.
Highly recommended. That combo with high poison resistance greatly reduces the risks of poison. A few times I didn't even bother with treating it and just let it wear off by itself.

Kalnos said:
So, the last time I played this game was about 1 year ago to date, and I'm looking to start again. Last time I was a Wanderer, any advice/ideas on class and build selection? :D

If you are planning to restart (I picked the game back up after a long break and restarting wasn't necessary), royal is a good class to start with because it starts with a spell. Starting class isn't too important, but starting as a thief isn't usually good because they pre assign a lot of points so you don't get to decide what to do with them.

RyanDG

I was going to restart a new character and use a club, but then i realized that the club doesn't have any upgrades available (outside of a special upgrade). However, i've decided to say fuck it. I am going to play as a Barbarian, without a shield/ranged weapons/spells, and only use a club throughout the entire game. Wish me luck. :lol

roxya

Smelly Tramp said:
too HARD. even monster hunter gives you 2 or 3 lives before you have to start from the beginning of the area again.

I find Monster Hunter so much harder than Demon's Souls :<

IrishNinja said:
goddamn, grinded up to SL 185 over in 4-2 with black tendency, this pure bladestone is just not happening. :lol i hear my odds are 1 in 200, so im gonna keep at it! few quick questions:

1) if i beat the boss of 1-4, that should reset a few crystal lizards right? i can still access 2-2/1-3/etc before the endgame?

2) again, whats the fascination with making an uchi w/sharp? if my dex is like 99 and str is 50+, wouldnt quality be better? i gotta check the wiki but im thinking a c in two stats > s in one.

1) Yeah, beating Allant will add an extra respawn to all the crystal lizards in world 1.

2)I think it's more expensive to upgrade two stats to get the same kind of stat bonus you do with a single stat bonus based weapon. For example I have 50 magic and 24 faith, the insanity catalyst has an A bonus for magic while the talisman of beasts has a C/C for magic and faith so I get a higher spell assist from the catalyst. It would probably cost a lot of souls to make my magic and faith stats equally high enough for the ToB to outdo the insanity catalyst. With your current stats I imagine a sharp uchigatana would completely outdo a quality one. Although I suppose since you've maxed out dexterity you've just got to focus on getting strength up to the same level where I think the quality uchigatana would pull ahead.

BTW, do you have the large sword of searching equipped? I've just got marrowstone and bladestone left for the upgrade trophies and I really hope it doesn't take me as long as it seems to be taking you.

elohel

Jinfash said:
Highly recommended. That combo with high poison resistance greatly reduces the risks of poison. A few times I didn't even bother with treating it and just let it wear off by itself.

that's the best isn't it? having so much health regen that you don't have to treat shit?

IrishNinja said:
aw, don't sweat putting a few extra points into DEX! its not like its luck or something :lol

honestly though, if you plan on replaying the game, i dont think you'll mind the extra points there. we might have entirely different builds, but both my kilij and sticky compound bow get strong bonuses from dex, so if there's one stat to fuck up and put more points in than your build might've needed, i think you're safe there.

You're using the short compound bow, I presume? Is the sticky effect permanent? I've never used any of mine.

I just feel like at the rate that I'm leveling up it isn't worth trying to make my Strength into anything formidable. I've come to realize much too late that I vastly prefer strength-based weapons. I just went with Dex initially because it seemed to be the more popular choice : /

EDIT: Just read up on the Meat Cleaver so I might just go for that.

Jimmy Stav said:
You're using the short compound bow, I presume? Is the sticky effect permanent? I've never used any of mine.

I just feel like at the rate that I'm leveling up it isn't worth trying to make my Strength into anything formidable. I've come to realize much too late that I vastly prefer strength-based weapons. I just went with Dex initially because it seemed to be the more popular choice : /

EDIT: Just read up on the Meat Cleaver so I might just go for that.
Sticky bows doesn't refer to the item, it's an upgrade path using spiderstones.

Can you still buy a new copy in Europe or should I get a used one? I just checked shopto and it says that it's "on order with the supplier". That should indicate that they are in fact getting new copies, but I was under the impression Scamco did a limited run in PAL.

Kalnos

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
Can you still buy a new copy in Europe or should I get a used one? I just checked shopto and it says that it's "on order with the supplier". That should indicate that they are in fact getting new copies, but I was under the impression Scamco did a limited run in PAL.

Looks like 25 euro on Amazon UK, that's a possibility if you would like the game new.

Kalnos said:
Looks like 25 euro on Amazon UK, that's a possibility if you would like the game new.

Unfortunately, Amazon only delivers books and CDs/DVDs here. Games aren't an option. :(

I'm limited to shopto and dvd.co.uk I believe.

Kalnos

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
Unfortunately, Amazon only delivers books and CDs/DVDs here. Games aren't an option. :(

TBH, there are many sellers on Ebay UK selling new copies with great feedback for about 25-30 euros, I would just buy it there if I were you. Just make sure you get a PAL one.

Lagspike_exe said:

It's only £17.95 at Zavvi and you can get it from Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, and Play.com if you're willing to pay more for it.

archnemesis said:
It's only £17.95 at Zavvi and you can get it from Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, and Play.com if you're willing to pay more for it.

Any experience with Zavvi? Delivery time, quality of service etc. Mainland Europe here.

Lagspike_exe said:
Any experience with Zavvi? Delivery time, quality of service etc. Mainland Europe here.
Long delivery times, at least 10 working days to Sweden. I've never encountered any problems with them (~5 orders), but I've seen a few GAFers complaining in the Cheap Arse Gamer thread.

jett

D-Member
Papercuts said:
What's a good way to kill the blue dragon in 1-4? I was trying to just chip it down with Soul Ray but that was taking FOREVER. I got it down to half so it moved, but the second area makes the camera freak out pretty good if you try and lock on to hit. I had it below 25% and ended up getting hit twice when the camera spazzed, don't really want to do that again.

I haven't been using a bow at all, but it seems like it's pretty much needed for this(Unless there's a spell that is much more effective against it I'm missing). Pretty overwhelming trying to see what bow is best though, where should I start? I have access to pretty much every area now.

White Bow served me well for killing the blue dragon, just bring a bunch of arrows, I'm talking 200 of them. Best place to tackle it is on the second encounter with it on 4-4. Run over to the inside of the castle, turn back, and shoot at his head from behind, he won't be able to hit you.

...it's kind of a lame battle tbh. :p

IrishNinja

electroshockwave said:
1) Yeah, beating Allant will add an extra respawn to all the crystal lizards in world 1.

ah, cool! thanks for this, perhaps not all 11 chunks of hardstone will have to wait till the next playthrough.

and yeah, i guess it makes sense, 2 stats is harder than 1 but since ive been building both...
speaking of, id like to try some invading, and
being the 3rd level boss
, as i approach SL 200, should i be worried that i wont have as many opportunities?

BTW, do you have the large sword of searching equipped? I've just got marrowstone and bladestone left for the upgrade trophies and I really hope it doesn't take me as long as it seems to be taking you.

i do indeed! marrowstone really didnt take so long, i just put it off for not wanting to hang around world 5 bwt :lol but yeah, no idea why its not yet coming in pure bladestone..."I gotta believe!"

speaking of:

Cloudius12 said:
I was prepared to grind on BP Skeleton for hours until I found the Pure BladeStone in like 20 minutes

hey, fuck you too, pal! :D

Is there something better than Leather Armor that's comparably light? I want something else purely for aesthetic purposes :)

Right now I'm using the Meat Cleaver and Sticky Compound Long Bow +1, and really enjoying the combination. The final bosses of each respective area are really easy so far.

theta11

Jimmy Stav said:
Is there something better than Leather Armor that's comparably light? I want something else purely for aesthetic purposes :)

Right now I'm using the Meat Cleaver and Sticky Compound Long Bow +1, and really enjoying the combination. The final bosses of each respective area are really easy so far.

Black Leather set, you get it in world 3-1, lightest armor set in the game I think.

Cloudius12 said:
I was prepared to grind on BP Skeleton for hours until I found the Pure BladeStone in like 20 minutes

I've been farming this today out of boredom, I'm at 10 millions souls and still no Pure Bladestone, kinda annoying since it's one of the only 2 items in the game I don't have. Luckily I already got the trophy. =_=

Aske

I finally picked this game up yesterday, admittedly with some trepidation, because I'm not a fan of RPGs that confront me with a pile of numbers. But the games's atmosphere combined with near universal praise for its gameplay has kept it on my should-buy list for a while, and so far I'm enjoying it.

Game is pretty overwhelming in terms of the concepts it introduces early on with regard to items and equipment, not helped by the clunky menu system which I can't pause the game to figure out; but so far the combat and level design hasn't felt unfair. I'm a royal though, so I have that whole soul arrow/magic recharge thing making life easy.

Couple of questions: first of all, is there anywhere in the menu system that will remind me of the meanings of the funky little runes that stand for strength, attack power, durability, etc; or will I need to keep the instruction manual handy until I have them memorized? Second, this may be a stupid question, but is there any point to my smashing smashable stuff, and thus slowly damaging my weapon, if I don't see the obvious glow of an item pickup? Games have taught me to wreck the shit out of everything I see, but I sense this mightn't be necessary in DS.

Aske said:
I finally picked this game up yesterday, admittedly with some trepidation, because I'm not a fan of RPGs that confront me with a pile of numbers. But the games's atmosphere combined with near universal praise for its gameplay has kept it on my should-buy list for a while, and so far I'm enjoying it.

Game is pretty overwhelming in terms of the concepts it introduces early on with regard to items and equipment, not helped by the clunky menu system which I can't pause the game to figure out; but so far the combat and level design hasn't felt unfair. I'm a royal though, so I have that whole soul arrow/magic recharge thing making life easy.

Couple of questions: first of all, is there anywhere in the menu system that will remind me of the meanings of the funky little runes that stand for strength, attack power, durability, etc; or will I need to keep the instruction manual handy until I have them memorized? Second, this may be a stupid question, but is there any point to my smashing smashable stuff, and thus slowly damaging my weapon, if I don't see the obvious glow of an item pickup? Games have taught me to wreck the shit out of everything I see, but I sense this mightn't be necessary in DS.

I've found things under smashables that I couldn't see the glow of. But it's not very often.

IrishNinja

theta11 said:
I've been farming this today out of boredom, I'm at 10 millions souls and still no Pure Bladestone, kinda annoying since it's one of the only 2 items in the game I don't have. Luckily I already got the trophy. =_=

...sad, but then kinda glad its not just me. ive grinded from SL 170 or so to just under 200 and still no pure yet; same as most everybody, 4-2 (by way of 4-3), pure black tendency, sword of searching. i know only the dual-wielding skeleton has it, but he shits shards, chunks, occasional uchi's and tons of worthless soul remains :lol
im starting to think i should waste a point or two into Luck, its that sad.

And though I was convinced I wouldn't attempt NG+, I think I might have to. This game has gotten exponentially more enjoyable now that I have a set of gear that I'm sticking with. A couple questions:

Where did Satsuki go? I never got to give him the Makoto/kill him.

Is it worth bumping my Strength to 27 to one-hand the Meatcleaver?

theta11

IrishNinja said:
...sad, but then kinda glad its not just me. ive grinded from SL 170 or so to just under 200 and still no pure yet; same as most everybody, 4-2 (by way of 4-3), pure black tendency, sword of searching. i know only the dual-wielding skeleton has it, but he shits shards, chunks, occasional uchi's and tons of worthless soul remains :lol
im starting to think i should waste a point or two into Luck, its that sad.

11947836 souls later and finally it drops! Also as a note, Large Sword of Searching and Luck are totally useless for this, they increase the chance that an item actually drops not the actual drop rate, since BPs have a 100% chance to drop an item it down to your own luck that the item is Pure Bladestone. :(

theta11

Jimmy Stav said:
And though I was convinced I wouldn't attempt NG+, I think I might have to. This game has gotten exponentially more enjoyable now that I have a set of gear that I'm sticking with. A couple questions:

Satsuki is a PWWT event, He'll only be there during PW, not that it matters, he isn't there to to do anything other than tell you that the Makoto is available for pickup in 4-2.

And meat cleaver sucks in the 1 hand stance imo. =/

Jimmy Stav said:

That only occurs in Pure White.

You can also fight him in Pure black world tendency where he is more difficult (and more fun). Just make sure not to have the skeleton see you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
jett said:
White Bow served me well for killing the blue dragon, just bring a bunch of arrows, I'm talking 200 of them. Best place to tackle it is on the second encounter with it on 4-4. Run over to the inside of the castle, turn back, and shoot at his head from behind, he won't be able to hit you.

...it's kind of a lame battle tbh. :p

Alright, I'll try that. And yeah it's super boring, the dragons are my least favorite part of world 1. I want to get the stuff Biorr dropped though, dumbass is zero help in 1-4. :lol

IrishNinja

theta11 said:
11947836 souls later and finally it drops! Also as a note, Large Sword of Searching and Luck are totally useless for this, they increase the chance that an item actually drops not the actual drop rate, since BPs have a 100% chance to drop an item it down to your own luck that the item is Pure Bladestone. :(

ah, congrats man! damn, that took a while:lol i hit SL 207 or so today, still no luck...here's to tomorrow!

still worried i wont find anyone to invade if i keep grinding, but ill try anyway once the farming's tied up & i can play online again.

theta11

IrishNinja said:
ah, congrats man! damn, that took a while:lol i hit SL 207 or so today, still no luck...here's to tomorrow!

still worried i wont find anyone to invade if i keep grinding, but ill try anyway once the farming's tied up & i can play online again.

You are already fairly high, general view is that most people are around 50-150. Good news is that you can delevel using Soulsucker glitch as long as you don't raise Vit too high.

Pilgor

Blacksmith Ed disappeared in my game, and now I'm finding it hard to want to continue to the end. There is no fix as far as I know, it's just a glitch where he disappears and never comes back.

FML

I have a shortcut ready to the final boss of 1-4, which has me wondering about NG+. Should I be upgrading my equipment as much as possible before moving on? Is what I have now most likely what I'll be using for the rest of the game? Can I upgrade the Meat Cleaver? Also, do I even have to care about Crystal Lizards at this point if the only thing I need to upgrade is my Sticky Compound Longbow?

EDIT: And how does co-op work in this game? I've never noticed an option to do friend-specific MP. It would be nice to have the option to help out a friend who just bought the game.

Jimmy Stav said:
I have a shortcut ready to the final boss of 1-4, which has me wondering about NG+. Should I be upgrading my equipment as much as possible before moving on? Is what I have now most likely what I'll be using for the rest of the game? Can I upgrade the Meat Cleaver? Also, do I even have to care about Crystal Lizards at this point if the only thing I need to upgrade is my Sticky Compound Longbow?

EDIT: And how does co-op work in this game? I've never noticed an option to do friend-specific MP. It would be nice to have the option to help out a friend who just bought the game.

You should forge any demon soul based weapons you may need at Blacksmith Ed before the endgame as you won't be able to do it in NG+ until you beat Flamelurker. I think you also can't upgrade unique weapons with colourless demon souls until then either so you may want to do that too. Aside from that I don't think you're really in any rush. You can't upgrade the meat cleaver or any of the other 9 demon soul forged weapons. Whether you go after the crystal lizards depends on whether or not you're interested in trophies or think you might want to create other weapons.

There isn't an option for friend specific multiplayer. You will have to co-ordinate with a friend where you set your soul sign so that you don't get summoned by someone else. There's no voice chat so I'd recommend using skype or something to communicate. Also, you will have to be within their soul level range (http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/online#toc7) for them to be able to summon you. Your current character is probably too high a level so you might want to start another character to play through the game with them.

prodystopian said:
How? Melee?

Yeah, using the Meat Cleaver. I'd roll back from his attack and counter with an R2 strike, which I then repeated as he pushed me back across the bridge. Eventually I'd get far enough away that he'd start walking back to the Mausoleum, allowing me to backstab. It took awhile.

ssowinski

So now that you can run a filemanager on FW 3.55 should I finally go retrieve my locked gamesave from my old PS3 and transfer it to my new one so I don't lose the 30 hours progress?

The bluray drive in my old one died so I can't play the game anymore but it's still good for PSN games and streaming movies.

I had an old GOW3 gamesave that would let you back it up to USB but you couldn't run it on another console. I tried some save/filesave trickery on it and got it working on my new one a few months back.

Has anyone tried to move a DS gamesave to a new console? Any sucesses?

Jimmy Stav said:
Yeah, using the Meat Cleaver. I'd roll back from his attack and counter with an R2 strike, which I then repeated as he pushed me back across the bridge. Eventually I'd get far enough away that he'd start walking back to the Mausoleum, allowing me to backstab. It took awhile.

Nice. I thought about it, but I wanted to beat the game first and I couldn't bring myself to try on NG+.

way more

Jimmy Stav said:

I'm such a bore. I stuck with my leather armor and falchion (later Sword of Searching) for nearly the entire game. On my NG+ I'm going to force myself to try some new stuff.

The problem is that any heavier armor reduces your dexterity regeneration rate and I was a badass ninja swift samurai who needed all my dex.

I did find switching to the sages hood made me feel like I had at least changed something.
venerable_sages_hood.jpg

I've had this game since launch, started a few times and never really got anywhere. Popped in yesterday and played over 12 hours. I haven't played a game for that long in years. Wow.

Beat 1-1, 2-1, and got to the end of 2-2, but wanted to cash in on the souls I'd farmed. Other than that, just running around places I have no business being in, grabbing items a bit early. Loving every bit of it. Hope they do another pure WT/BT session now that I have somewhat of a clue. Wish I had more time to play.

Kalnos

Banned
Lord Helmet said:
I've had this game since launch, started a few times and never really got anywhere. Popped in yesterday and played over 12 hours. I haven't played a game for that long in years. Wow.

Beat 1-1, 2-1, and got to the end of 2-2, but wanted to cash in on the souls I'd farmed. Other than that, just running around places I have no business being in, grabbing items a bit early. Loving every bit of it. Hope they do another pure WT/BT session now that I have somewhat of a clue. Wish I had more time to play.

It's funny, but you DO have business being in 2-1 and perhaps even 2-2. The preferred order of levels in this game is quite odd and it's really up to you.

IrishNinja

theta11 said:
You are already fairly high, general view is that most people are around 50-150. Good news is that you can delevel using Soulsucker glitch as long as you don't raise Vit too high.

aw, man, no way im going backwards!:lol ill just keep trying till i get someone, bound to be a few people around my level or id never see all these gray ghosts right?

to the person asking @ NG+: also remember Patches wont be there for a bit, and since that mode is balls-hard you might want to consider tossing a decent amount of good herbs & hard arrows into storage, that kinda thing. your call though...just dont go thinking your SL 100+ stats are gonna do a bit've good, you can easily die in but a few hits from enemies you arent sweating right now.

ssowinski said:
So now that you can run a filemanager on FW 3.55 should I finally go retrieve my locked gamesave from my old PS3 and transfer it to my new one so I don't lose the 30 hours progress?

oh man, this was one of the first things i thought of when the thread came up about cracking open the PS3. i too would love to know if anyone's backed up their save successfully yet, its a great question.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Helmet said:

That's a great way of putting it :lol

Glad you're back and enjoying it! I still need to finish my first playthrough, but what a game.

theta11

IrishNinja said:
aw, man, no way im going backwards!:lol ill just keep trying till i get someone, bound to be a few people around my level or id never see all these gray ghosts right?

You can see ghosts that are outside of your level range. :(

oracrest

mac said:
I did find switching to the sages hood made me feel like I had at least changed something.
venerable_sages_hood.jpg

I'm one of those stubborn players that wears what I think looks most interesting, and deals with the gameplay mechanics after the fact.

It wasn't until a few stages into NG+ that I realized I had beaten my first playthrough encumbered by heavy armor. :lol

Noogy

oracrest said:
I'm one of those stubborn players that wears what I think looks most interesting, and deals with the gameplay mechanics after the fact.

It wasn't until a few stages into NG+ that I realized I had beaten my first playthrough encumbered by heavy armor. :lol

Haha, as did I :) It wasn't until a friend came over to give me some advice that I wondered why dodging was so useless! I simply changed my boots, and now I could actually evade attacks. After that, Maneater was a cinch on subsequent playthroughs.

theta11

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm now SL100 so I figure now's as good a time as any to move on to NG+. Farming Spiderstone Shards/Chunks is driving me insane.

Theres a limited about you get from geckos per playthrough, farming them the old fashioned way is pretty lame. I have a few I can spare though (at least I think so) so hit me up on PSN, I'm usually on (though mostly afk :lol )

Top Bottom