• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

theta11 said:
Theres a limited about you get from geckos per playthrough, farming them the old fashioned way is pretty lame. I have a few I can spare though (at least I think so) so hit me up on PSN, I'm usually on (though mostly afk :lol )

That'd be great. I'm JimmyStav on PSN. How does trading even work?

theta11

Hesemonni said:
Ok, just got the game in mail. Which class to start with? ...Or rather, any total newbie tips?

Starting classes don't reall matter unless you are going for optimization, if you are, Royalty for magic, Temple Knight for melee. As for tips, don't skip the tutorial level. I can't really think of anything else that won't ruin the fun, oh, try not to even allocate your stats. pick one of the 4 damage stats and stick to it (str/dex/mag/fai) and never put any stat points into luck.

oracrest

Hesemonni said:
Ok, just got the game in mail. Which class to start with? ...Or rather, any total newbie tips?

When stuck on an enemy, try switching to two-handed or one-handed style, and see if that makes the encounter any easier. Also, patience and caution.

theta11

NovemberMike said:
Royal or Temple Knight. Royal is probably the easiest (by far).

Even though I know Royal supposed to be easier, I wasn't able to kill the Vanguard until very recently using a Royal, but I can do it with ease with most melee classes, easiest being Knight and Temple Knight. Killed him on 2nd attempt with Temple Knight actually.

theta11 said:
Even though I know Royal supposed to be easier, I wasn't able to kill the Vanguard until very recently using a Royal, but I can do it with ease with most melee classes, easiest being Knight and Temple Knight. Killed him on 2nd attempt with Temple Knight actually.

You can kill him easily with soul arrow. His ai is bugged against ranged attacks iirc. Also, there's a crescent falchion on that level that makes the royal a decent melee character.

theta11

NovemberMike said:
You can kill him easily with soul arrow. His ai is bugged against ranged attacks iirc. Also, there's a crescent falchion on that level that makes the royal a decent melee character.

I was referring to the tutorial, sorry.

IrishNinja

theta11 - if you have spare chunks of hardstone (and can meet up with SL 207 or so...), youll have made a friend for life! :D

back to grinding dual-wielding black skele-phantoms in 4.2. today's the day, i can just feel it.

elohel

NovemberMike said:
I thought royal was supposed to be the easiest way to do the tutorial vanguard. Just use soul arrow when he's on a recover animation.

you can actually kill that guy? lol

you're talking about the tutorial boss thing right?

elohel said:
you can actually kill that guy? lol

you're talking about the tutorial boss thing right?

Yes, it's possible. I watched my nephew do it with a barbarian once.

I've never done it myself, and I've tried a good 7 or 8 times. :/

So cool to start the game already in body form, plus there's some nice loot involved.

RyanDG

NEOPARADIGM said:
Yes, it's possible. I watched my nephew do it with a barbarian once.

I've never done it myself, and I've tried a good 7 or 8 times. :/

So cool to start the game already in body form, plus there's some nice loot involved.

You don't start in body form though because of what happens immediately following the fight. Won't say anything else but that for those who are interested in seeing it for themselves.

Canova

Banned
Hesemonni said:

Knight or Temple Knight. you gotta play melee to experience Demon's Souls combat to the fullest.

playing melee trains your for any invasion. most of the time, magic users does not stand a chance in PvP

Kalnos said:
It's funny, but you DO have business being in 2-1 and perhaps even 2-2. The preferred order of levels in this game is quite odd and it's really up to you.

B-Genius said:
That's a great way of putting it :lol

Glad you're back and enjoying it! I still need to finish my first playthrough, but what a game.

Not long after I beat 1-1, I went to 4-1 to grab the Crescent Falchion +1 as suggested by some beginner's FAQ. Having toyed around with the slow moving zombie like creatures of the first level, I shit bricks when one of the skeletons came running after me. :lol

Thankfully, I had the thief's ring, plus I chose the Royalty class, so I had soul arrow as well. I quickly learned to creep up on them and get a quick shot in while back-stepping to hit them two more times.

After several close calls I met up with the duel-wielding skeleton in front of the Crescent Falchion. He was much easier since you could just spam him a couple times and run around the corner. Cheap, but at least I've got a decent blade for melee encounters.

Beat the tower knight yesterday. Want to play more, but probably will need to wait for the weekend! :D

theta11

NovemberMike said:
I thought royal was supposed to be the easiest way to do the tutorial vanguard. Just use soul arrow when he's on a recover animation.

Like i said, i know it supposed to be easier with Royal, but i never found it so. i always found melee easier at doing it but maybe thats just my playstyle.

IrishNinja said:
theta11 - if you have spare chunks of hardstone (and can meet up with SL 207 or so...), youll have made a friend for life! :D

back to grinding dual-wielding black skele-phantoms in 4.2. today's the day, i can just feel it.

I do have spare chunks but you are 40 levels over coop with my highest char. unless you can delevel me after i give you items...

Edit: I have 82 chunks on my main atm :lol hes SL 123

IrishNinja said:

How many chunks do you need? I don't think I've got much right now but I think I've got a few more respawns on the crystal lizards in 1-4 and I'll soon be in your level range if I have to keep farming bladestone.

IrishNinja

theta11 said:
I do have spare chunks but you are 40 levels over coop with my highest char. unless you can delevel me after i give you items...

Edit: I have 82 chunks on my main atm :lol hes SL 123

haha...thats why too high to level/go back down for a favor, appreciate it though. im told 120 range is where PVP is at, yeah?

electroshockwave said:
How many chunks do you need? I don't think I've got much right now but I think I've got a few more respawns on the crystal lizards in 1-4 and I'll soon be in your level range if I have to keep farming bladestone.

aw, i fucked up today and went to SL 217...i swear im stopping the grind, just farming that one dual wielder. i need 11, i think? lemme know if you can hook it up...if you need chunks of bladestone, please believe i can help out! ive got 50+ of the stupid bastards and still no pure.

speaking of this particular grind...
1) one of you said the quickest way was to soulsuck the dual-wielding BP and then load profile...i tried this, and it just put me back where he was, but now those stupid vagina-monsters in the sky (the ones who throw darts at you, all over 4-4) were there for some reason. shame, i was hoping for a quicker way.
2) another of you said to go after the other dude in the hidden passage of 4-2...WTF? you cant sneak up on this guy, im not looking for a fair fight! :lol

theta11

IrishNinja said:
haha...thats why too high to level/go back down for a favor, appreciate it though. im told 120 range is where PVP is at, yeah?

aw, i fucked up today and went to SL 217...i swear im stopping the grind, just farming that one dual wielder. i need 11, i think? lemme know if you can hook it up...if you need chunks of bladestone, please believe i can help out! ive got 50+ of the stupid bastards and still no pure.

speaking of this particular grind...
1) one of you said the quickest way was to soulsuck the dual-wielding BP and then load profile...i tried this, and it just put me back where he was, but now those stupid vagina-monsters in the sky (the ones who throw darts at you, all over 4-4) were there for some reason. shame, i was hoping for a quicker way.
2) another of you said to go after the other dude in the hidden passage of 4-2...WTF? you cant sneak up on this guy, im not looking for a fair fight! :lol

120 is generally considered the PVP level, thats why I have all my chars around there, simply more people around that range.

@1: That doesn't work, when you choose the option to load your profile the game actually saves so it would create a save of the skeleton dead and already looted. Only way to do this would be to loot the skeleton and not press X the second time to remove the item box so the item pickup save doesn't initiate, the quit back to XMB using the PS button. Not worth it imo.

@2: He also drops pure bladestone but only with pure black world tendency and even though he's not a black phantom he takes longer to kill than the BP due to not being able to soul suck him. He also allegedly has a lower drop rate for pure bladestone if you believe that sort of thing. :lol

Lord Helmet said:
Not long after I beat 1-1, I went to 4-1 to grab the Crescent Falchion +1 as suggested by some beginner's FAQ. Having toyed around with the slow moving zombie like creatures of the first level, I shit bricks when one of the skeletons came running after me. :lol

Please please please change world 4 to pure black and redo 4-1.

Zzoram

So I played a bit offline today because I wanted to keep the PWWT from the Christmas event. I managed to get Makoto and free Rydell. Oh and I cheesed Maneater with arrows through the fog. After I get the world 5 PWWT events I'll go online again to neutralize and get better drop rates.

Are the world 5 PWWT events hard or tricky? Do I have to kill Satsuki in 4-1 or should I just keep his sword and ignore him?

theta11

Zzoram said:
So I played a bit offline today because I wanted to keep the PWWT from the Christmas event. I managed to get Makoto and free Rydell. Oh and I cheesed Maneater with arrows through the fog. After I get the world 5 PWWT events I'll go online again to neutralize and get better drop rates.

Are the world 5 PWWT events hard or tricky? Do I have to kill Satsuki in 4-1 or should I just keep his sword and ignore him?

World 5 PWWT involves killing black phantom Garl Vinland, same as normal with more hp and damage. he drops bramd and a crest that you can trade with his sister in 5-2 who also appears only in pure white. if you give the sword to satsuki he will attack you, if you dont give the sword to satsuki he will attack you. basically if you talk to him he will attack you :lol

Portalbox

So I just completed 1-3 for the first time but I noticed one thing: a Fat Official glitched and I didn't get the Official's Hat, so I can't seem to rescue Yuria. Does anyone have a spare hat or can at least let me use theirs for a little while? My PSN account is jorgomt and my Soul Level is 65

Much appreciated. :D

oracrest

Portalbox said:
So I just completed 1-3 for the first time but I noticed one thing: a Fat Official glitched and I didn't get the Official's Hat, so I can't seem to rescue Yuria. Does anyone have a spare hat or can at least let me use theirs for a little while? My PSN account is jorgomt and my Soul Level is 65

Much appreciated. :D

I think my magic user is level 67, let me check later. I can give you mine, I think I have done all that mission already.

theta11 said:
World 5 PWWT involves killing black phantom Garl Vinland, same as normal with more hp and damage. he drops bramd and a crest that you can trade with his sister in 5-2 who also appears only in pure white. if you give the sword to satsuki he will attack you, if you dont give the sword to satsuki he will attack you. basically if you talk to him he will attack you :lol

I think that is only if you have Makoto in your inventory. If you have it with Stockpile Thomas, he'll still be asking for the sword.

theta11

prodystopian said:
I think that is only if you have Makoto in your inventory. If you have it with Stockpile Thomas, he'll still be asking for the sword.

That's true, wish he was more important or gave something, he really doesn't serve any purpose other than messing with players that didn't know better and gave him the sword. :lol

IrishNinja said:
aw, i fucked up today and went to SL 217...i swear im stopping the grind, just farming that one dual wielder. i need 11, i think? lemme know if you can hook it up...if you need chunks of bladestone, please believe i can help out! ive got 50+ of the stupid bastards and still no pure. [/I] :lol

I think I've levelled high enough to summon you now and I've got the hardstone chunks you need. We'll have to trade in 1-4 because that's the only level I haven't beat yet unless you want to summon me and trade somewhere else.

I've got far more bladestone chunks than I need too but if you've got any extra marrowstone chunks I'd be grateful. My PSN ID is electroshockwave.

Zzoram

I am level 71 in my first game. What's a high enough level to safely beat 1-1 in NG+? Also, is it best to grind for all the non-crystal lizard stones I can in NG or NG+? Because killing stuff is easier in NG and I can 1-hit crystal lizards now but in NG+ I may not be able to and they could escape.

Also, once I get the Friend Ring and am ready to move to NG+, should I kill NPCs to trigger Mephistopheles and try to get the Foe Ring just before leaving NG? Because that way I would only lose critical NPCs just before getting them all back in NG+.

oracrest

Zzoram said:
I am level 71 in my first game. What's a high enough level to safely beat 1-1 in NG+? Also, is it best to grind for all the non-crystal lizard stones I can in NG or NG+? Because killing stuff is easier in NG and I can 1-hit crystal lizards now but in NG+ I may not be able to and they could escape.

If you can hit a lizard once, you can keep them incapacitated. You just have to wait a bit between hits so when you hit them, they fall over again (wait until they flip on their stomach again, and whack em.) If you swing as fast as possible, they can turn around and run before you recover.

Zzoram

oracrest said:
If you can hit a lizard once, you can keep them incapacitated. You just have to wait a bit between hits so when you hit them, they fall over again (wait until they flip on their stomach again, and whack em.) If you swing as fast as possible, they can turn around and run before you recover.

I mostly hit them at a distance with arrows so they don't get a chance to run. Hitting a moving target is way harder.

gdt

Making some progress in 4-1, got the Abjudicator Shield and the Crescent Falcon+1.

My life is complete. These weapons are so boss, and my Soul Ray is ripping this dudes apart. Soul Ray is heavy on the MP usage though, will the Fireball spell (the one I got from the Armor Spider Soul) do on this level? Or should I stick with Soul Ray to easily dispatch everything around here?

LeCapitan

Neo Member
I'm loving every second of my pain and misery in this game.

Decided to try 5-1 last night and ended up beating leechmonger after 8 or so attempts at the level. I had some trouble with those big trolls, but leechmonger was easy once I figured out
you have to drop down asap to avoid those balls of bugs.

Im on soul level 115 and need help with obtaining all weapons trophy (US Version)

Could anyone drop me the Blind, Large Sword of Moonlight, Phosphorescent Pole and Talisman of beast so i can get the trophy and i'll give them right back

:D

oracrest

Zzoram said:
I mostly hit them at a distance with arrows so they don't get a chance to run. Hitting a moving target is way harder.

I see. I have gotten into the habit of sprinting at them. I used to shoot arrows, but if you miss once, your pretty screwed, and they will get away. Also, when they burrow into their spot, you can still hit them for a second, even when the lizard disappears. Pretty much as long as the auto target is still on. I also find that two handed wielding hits lower than one handed with weapons I have had experience with. Oh, and thief ring :)

theta11

Zzoram said:

In NG+ arrows don't work as well on geckos because the have more HP so the amount of damage need to stun them is usually much high than a single arrow, i usually use the arrows to clear/lure enemies around them then use thief ring to get close.

catashtrophe said:
Im on soul level 115 and need help with obtaining all weapons trophy (US Version)

Could anyone drop me the Blind, Large Sword of Moonlight, Phosphorescent Pole and Talisman of beast so i can get the trophy and i'll give them right back

Just shift 2 3 and 5 to pbwt and just kill the BPs, selen can be soulsucked for an easy kill, and scirvir can be pushed off the cliff. rydell is just easy =/

roxya

Zzoram said:
I am level 71 in my first game. What's a high enough level to safely beat 1-1 in NG+?

71 is fine for NG+ if you didn't badly screw up your build. 1-1 is still really easy, just be sure to give the enemies at least a small bit of respect.

catashtrophe said:

Large Sword of Moonlight is rather easy to get, its located in world 5-2

I finally got a pure bladestone after hours spent farming in the past two days. I was going into hyper mode and using fireball on the reaper and the three black phantom skeletons then evacuating in what seemed an endless cycle. Every time the black skeleton dropped chunks I thought I was somehow closer to getting a pure stone but in the next five drops all I'd get was soul remains or shards as if the game was toying with me. I equipped the ring of avarice for the extra souls, which resulted in levelling up my character by over 40 levels with almost 4 million souls still unspent. Originally I was making a sharp dagger since I've got low dexterity anyway and just wanted the trophy but I ended up with so many shards and chunks I made a sharp uchi+5 instead.

After all that I decided to spend 20 minutes quickly farming before going to bed in the hope that I would get lucky. I ignored the gold skeletons and brought my pattern down to ~2 minutes at a time. When the pure bladestone finally dropped I was so relieved to be free of the monotony of farming. I'm looking forward to taking out some built-up frustration on BP Satsuki and Selen Vinland tomorrow to get the unique weapons trophy.

Zzoram

oracrest said:
I see. I have gotten into the habit of sprinting at them. I used to shoot arrows, but if you miss once, your pretty screwed, and they will get away. Also, when they burrow into their spot, you can still hit them for a second, even when the lizard disappears. Pretty much as long as the auto target is still on. I also find that two handed wielding hits lower than one handed with weapons I have had experience with. Oh, and thief ring :)

In my experience, if you're far enough with thief's ring, arrows work great since you can shoot enemies standing beside the lizards and they won't care. In fact, I could've swore I've hit the ground near lizards and they didn't run away due to me being so far away.

IrishNinja

electroshockwave said:
I think I've levelled high enough to summon you now and I've got the hardstone chunks you need. We'll have to trade in 1-4 because that's the only level I haven't beat yet unless you want to summon me and trade somewhere else.

I've got far more bladestone chunks than I need too but if you've got any extra marrowstone chunks I'd be grateful. My PSN ID is electroshockwave.

aw, my bad man, just read this but its my night off so ill be signing on soon (playing offline though, at least till i get mah purestone). ill add you, what SL you at now? also, i have no spare chunks of marrow but if i give you the dagger i made of them, will that do anything for you? if not, im sorry man.

congrats on getting your bladestone knocked out, though :D wish me luck, off to work on mine soon.

IrishNinja

...so, the grind took me from about soul level 170 to 217 (with @ 3 mill souls to boot!), but several days & a few glasses of jack & coke later:

23m1oab.jpg

...yeah, with a swag you would kill for/money too strong, pockets on bodybuilder :D

IrishNinja

thank you sir :D if i can just get hardstone sorted, the grind is over, i can finish NG+ and start the remaining 1.5 playthroughs for my #$%@ing platinum:lol

theta11

Grats on the Pure Bladestone man! See you took a pic when you got it just like me. :lol Pure Bladestone is the only sour note of this game.

I'd be happy to level up to give you the Hardstone if you can delevel me back down when the trade is over. I have 8 million souls one character and 12 on the other so its no problem to get up there but I don't want to stay there for PvP reasons.

gdt

Any tips for the cliffside in 4-1? I can rip those gold dudes up with my Soul Ray (again, does the much lower MP intensive Armor Spider Fireball attack hurt those dudes about the same?), but my Fresh Spices are starting to run low. The fliers are tearing me apart there.

Zoe

gdt5016 said:
Any tips for the cliffside in 4-1? I can rip those gold dudes up with my Soul Ray (again, does the much lower MP intensive Armor Spider Fireball attack hurt those dudes about the same?), but my Fresh Spices are starting to run low. The fliers are tearing me apart there.

I was able to get them easily with Soul Arrow (under PWWT). You should be take out any fliers that get close though. Just hang out in the wider area before the first guy.

gdt5016 said:

You're talking about the mantas? Thief's ring sometimes stops them from shooting at you altogether. Otherwise, just use divide and conquer tactics: the Crescent Falchion +1 should be able to take them down in around 5-8 hits depending on your stats.

Don't know much about magic, sorry.

theta11

gdt5016 said:

You can kill the mantas with a bow and arrow close the beginning of the stage, maybe soul ray might work. after the 2nd fog gate behind the vanguard go up stairs by the silver skeleton silver archer and black skeleton. don't engage then, instead go up the ladder before them and go along the rooftop, you should get to a vantage point behind the 2nd gold skeleton but the 2 mantas will patrol and you can kill them from there as the fly very close but never attack you from the roof.

Top Bottom