• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

gdt5016 said:
Any tips for the cliffside in 4-1? I can rip those gold dudes up with my Soul Ray (again, does the much lower MP intensive Armor Spider Fireball attack hurt those dudes about the same?), but my Fresh Spices are starting to run low. The fliers are tearing me apart there.

Fire spray is really useful against the silver and black skeletons (and just about every enemy in world 5) since you can fire continuously while retreating but I think "pure magic" attacks like soul arrow and soul ray are more useful against the gold skeletons. How high is your intelligence? Do you only have one slot to remember spells? If so I'd say the best strategy is to use soul remains (dropped by the black skeletons) and the thief's ring to get close to the gold skeletons on the cliffside. If you manage to lock on to an enemy and throw the soul remains at them they will usually turn around and attack the air behind them which leaves them open for a backstab. If you just buy soul arrow from Freke's apprentice it's pretty useful on your first playthrough against the gold skeletons and flying enemies and uses less mana.

If you rescued Ostrava in 1-1 you can trade the brass telescope he gave you with the crow at the tree on the highest point of the level for a fragrant ring that regenerates MP. You may already know what I'm talking about but it's the tree where you'll hear a girl's voice asking for sparkly twinkly stuff. Just drop the item there and you'll hear the crow confirming that it's something she wants and load your save from the start menu. When you reload the item you traded for will be behind the tree. You can also upgrade your crescent falchion with darkmoonstone at blacksmith Ed in 2-1 to increase it's MP regeneration. Be sure to rescue Blige from behind the hidden passage (just before the second fog gate) as he sells arrows for a low price.

gdt

electroshockwave said:
Fire spray is really useful against the silver and black skeletons (and just about every enemy in world 5) since you can fire continuously while retreating but I think "pure magic" attacks like soul arrow and soul ray are more useful against the gold skeletons. How high is your intelligence? Do you only have one slot to remember spells? If so I'd say the best strategy is the use soul remains (dropped by the black skeletons) and the thief's ring to get close to the gold skeletons on the cliffside. If you manage to lock on to an enemy and throw the soul remains at them they will usually turn around and attack the air behind them which leaves them open for a backstab. If you just buy soul arrow from Freke's apprentice it's pretty useful on your first playthrough against the gold skeletons and flying enemies and uses less mana.

If you rescued Ostrava in 1-1 you can trade the brass telescope he gave you with the crow at the tree on the highest point of the level for a fragrant ring that regenerates MP. You may already know what I'm talking about but it's the tree where you'll hear a girl's voice asking for sparkly twinkly stuff. Just drop the item there and you'll hear the crow confirming that it's something she wants and load your save from the start menu. When you reload the item you traded for will be behind the tree. You can also upgrade your crescent falchion with darkmoonstone at blacksmith Ed in 2-1 to increase it's MP regeneration. Be sure to rescue Blige from behind the hidden passage (just before the second fog gate) as he sells arrows for a low price.

This is alot of good info! Had no idea what to do with that telescope.

IrishNinja

electroshockwave showed up & owned shit in 1-4, thanks again man! if i can help you out, just lemme know. i can finally get on back with the game proper now!

time to tie up NG+ and get onto my 3rd playthrough....

IrishNinja said:
...so, the grind took me from about soul level 170 to 217 (with @ 3 mill souls to boot!), but several days & a few glasses of jack & coke later:

23m1oab.jpg

...yeah, with a swag you would kill for/money too strong, pockets on bodybuilder :D
Whoa I'm drinking out of the same mug as I read this post and Nice!

IrishNinja said:
...so, the grind took me from about soul level 170 to 217 (with @ 3 mill souls to boot!), but several days & a few glasses of jack & coke later:

23m1oab.jpg

...yeah, with a swag you would kill for/money too strong, pockets on bodybuilder :D
Congrats man. I'm gonna dread farming it again at a really low level. I gotta figure out how to farm that without soulsucker since I'm still in ng.

theta11

zerokoolpsx said:
Congrats man. I'm gonna dread farming it again at a really low level. I gotta figure out how to farm that without soulsucker since I'm still in ng.

In PBWT the black skeleton in the secret tunnel at the beginning of 4-2 drops pure bladestone, you can farm it there in new game.

IrishNinja

Crakatak187 said:
Whoa I'm drinking out of the same mug as I read this post and Nice!

hah! its a popular brand i guess, think ive seen it elsewhere as well. still sad the last move killed my giant B.I.G. mug.

man, farming that w/o soulsucker...my hat's off to you, man. that's a herculean feat, from here.
3rd playthrough, its fun being away from all the other levels long enough to half-forget where shit is. I tried out different weapons, but still cant pass on my Quality Kilij +5, so to spice things up, im gonna try this playthrough mostly human.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm about to start a NG+. Are there any benefits to picking up any armor/ring I already own from the first game, or should I simply skip some of the perils that only lead to them.

theta11

Jinfash said:
I'm about to start a NG+. Are there any benefits to picking up any armor/ring I already own from the first game, or should I simply skip some of the perils that only lead to them.

The perils are going to more perilous in NG+ sooo... XD

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
theta11 said:
The perils are going to more perilous in NG+ sooo... XD
I can't believe the damage the monsters of 1-1 are dealing to my 115SL (clad in brushwood) character, sheeeeeet.

theta11

Jinfash said:
I can't believe the damage the monsters of 1-1 are dealing to my 115SL (clad in brushwood) character, sheeeeeet.

Protip: Defense doesn't matter, and using Heavy armor slows down the rate at which your stamina regenerates.

Jinfash said:
the only thing better than being able to withstand a hit is to not get hit at all.

go light.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I know, I know, but... the difference in difficulty is staggering. I expected a 20% increase in difficulty (attack/HP) or so, but so far it seems to be a lot more.

theta11

Jinfash said:
I know, I know, but... the difference in difficulty is staggering. I expected a 20% increase in difficulty (attack/HP) or so, but so far it seems to be a lot more.

"NG+ Increased difficulty by approximate 40% compared to NG assumed your CT is neutral. + 40%"

Taken from Demon's Souls Wiki

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
theta11 said:
"NG+ Increased difficulty by approximate 40% compared to NG assumed your CT is neutral. + 40%"

Taken from Demon's Souls Wiki
Damn. What about enemies' souls, how much more do they release? I wish it's 40% but I highly doubt it.

oracrest

Portalbox said:
So I just completed 1-3 for the first time but I noticed one thing: a Fat Official glitched and I didn't get the Official's Hat, so I can't seem to rescue Yuria. Does anyone have a spare hat or can at least let me use theirs for a little while? My PSN account is jorgomt and my Soul Level is 65

Much appreciated. :D

I checked tonight, and I have a level 69 magic user. If I have that in my inventory, which I'm pretty sure I do, it's all yours. PSN message me "oracrest" or PM here to set up a time to co op.

D-Pad

Lost at the last second to Flamelurker. damn that thing moves fast. :\ Tried to equip purple flame shield the first time, went in only to find out I couldn't run or dodge, ha! Went in the second time with steel shield + ring of flame resistance. Couldn't hurt me with my shield up, but I also couldn't get any good attacks on him, despite my pole-axe's reach. Attacks that did land did okay damage.

Anyway, my strategy worked pretty good. Shield, shield, shield, swipe-swipe, get hit, heal under his feet. Couldn't afford to run and heal as I'm not fast enough to get away. I whittled him down to the last iota of health when he cornered me. A flying punch/kick or whatever he does knocked me on my back. I mashed square repeated so he'd full-heal as soon as he finished his stupid animation but Flamelurker was faster and gored me with its fiery claws.

Such bullshit. Can't complain as I had a good day. Beat Tower Knight, Armor Spider, and took down the bridge dragon (1-2) in one day. Shame this may be the last weekend I play, as my sister is taking the system with her to college, but I'm glad I got to experience it... Heh.

IrishNinja

d-pad - personally, putting some colorless souls into the purple shield really helped me, but when going toe-to-toe with him, water veil kept me alive a number of times, you tried that yet? might be what you need to stay alive long enough to finish him!

D-Pad

IrishNinja said:
d-pad - personally, putting some colorless souls into the purple shield really helped me, but when going toe-to-toe with him, water veil kept me alive a number of times, you tried that yet? might be what you need to stay alive long enough to finish him!

Honestly, I don't know how to do any of that stuff yet; I haven't read any guides. Like I said, my sister's taking the game back with her so I just jumped in and swung my way through, leveling up Strength and Vitality as I went. The only spells I know are Heal and antidote, but my temple knight can only use one before his magicka becomes too low. If I ever get more time with the game I'll start reading into the stuff, but right now it has really been a (glorious) hack-n-slash.

theta11 said:
In PBWT the black skeleton in the secret tunnel at the beginning of 4-2 drops pure bladestone, you can farm it there in new game.
I know that. I'm trying to figure how to kill it at sl 20 and sl 55. Hmmm backstab and run away. If it hits me, I'm dead no matter what.

theta11

D-Pad said:
Lost at the last second to Flamelurker. damn that thing moves fast. :\ Tried to equip purple flame shield the first time, went in only to find out I couldn't run or dodge, ha! Went in the second time with steel shield + ring of flame resistance. Couldn't hurt me with my shield up, but I also couldn't get any good attacks on him, despite my pole-axe's reach. Attacks that did land did okay damage.

Anyway, my strategy worked pretty good. Shield, shield, shield, swipe-swipe, get hit, heal under his feet. Couldn't afford to run and heal as I'm not fast enough to get away. I whittled him down to the last iota of health when he cornered me. A flying punch/kick or whatever he does knocked me on my back. I mashed square repeated so he'd full-heal as soon as he finished his stupid animation but Flamelurker was faster and gored me with its fiery claws.

Such bullshit. Can't complain as I had a good day. Beat Tower Knight, Armor Spider, and took down the bridge dragon (1-2) in one day. Shame this may be the last weekend I play, as my sister is taking the system with her to college, but I'm glad I got to experience it... Heh.

flamelurker is actually very susceptible to the thief ring, if you can move quickly form one side of the map to the other hell lose you completely and slowly walk back to his starting position giving you time to heal if necessary. blocking bosses is generally a bad idea, they do heavy endurance damage so even after you block them you can't counter efficiently cause they wrecked your stamina. for the most part its better to dodge flamelurker by rolling backwards, as he swipes. also if you use a heavy weapon like you can actually stagger him.

zerokoolpsx said:
I know that. I'm trying to figure how to kill it at sl 20 and sl 55. Hmmm backstab and run away. If it hits me, I'm dead no matter what.
sl20 is going to be hard but really to me the issue out there killing that guy is more the mantas than the skelly. hes easily killable though with at those levels with any dragon weapon capable of stun locking, knight sword, mirdan hammer. just bait him into doing the jumping double slash which you can walk around then backstab him and as hes getting up combo his back. at those soul levels you don't much options plus hes resistant to all damage but his fire defense isn't as high as all the other defenses. farming that skelly is pretty hard on new game without using a twink.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
NG+ is freaking brutal.

My first objective was to unlock 4-2 to farm souls during PBT + avarice ring + soul thirst, which should yield a nice sum of souls now that I'm in NG+.

So I started in offline mide to retain the world tendencies from the first game, and I completed 1-1 then went straight to 4-1, forgot that 4 was pure black from my previous playthrough and Satsuki raped me on sight! after at least 10 attempts to kill him (I came really close a couple of times but the bastard fully healed himself) and I said fuck it, and connected online to neutralize 4 and I did.

Thanks GOD for the short cut to the boss in 4-1! took me less than two minutes to reach him and took him down fast with some magic spam.

I mean holy shit, I'm shitting bricks like I'm playing it for the first time.

So I beat worlds 3 and 5 in NG+++ last night which allowed me to learn the final two miracles and platinum the game. When I first started playing this I thought how much I'd love to platinum it but I didn't think I would have the time to do it. I don't replay most games and I end up not finishing a lot of RPGs but once New Game+ started the game just compelled me to continue playing to see what new challenge it would offer and try more weapons and strategies. This really is one of the standout games of the generation for me. I almost feel a bit lost about what to do now, I've pretty much exclusively been playing Demon's Souls since November apart from when I beat TR: Underworld while waiting for the white tendency event to start.

zerokoolpsx said:

I think you're better off trying to farm the BP black skeleton than the one in the hidden passage. I tried both when I was farming for pure bladestone and the the latter seemed to drop chunks less often so I think it also has a lower chance of dropping pure bladestone. If you go into hyper mode with the clever rat's ring and the morion blade (short sword +8 and the storm king's demon soul is the easiest way to make it) and two-handed backstab the BP black skeleton with a fully upgraded dragon long sword I think you have a good chance of killing it in one hit as I was able to do it with a fully powered Northern Regalia in NG++. If you don't kill it immediately it should be fairly easy to finish off as it's getting up. This should work regardless of your stats as the dragon long sword has low stat requirements and no stat bonuses. If you have the makoto sword it will be a lot easier to get into hyper mode because it drains your health if you have it equipped.

theta11

Congrats on the platinum! What I've been doing recently is trying new character builds at around the SL 80-120 mark. at such a low SL they really have to be specialized to be effective so all my characters have a distinct difference in playstyle. it's nice to tackle the bosses in different ways. and after playing through the game with the same char a few time the change of pace is nice.

gdt

Woo! Took down 4-1. Now, what do I do with his Soul (same for the Grey Demon, actually)?

Regeneration or Meat Cleaver?

I have A Ring of Regeneration and The Adjudicator's Shield, so I'm pretty good in that department.

But I'm digging the Crescent Falcon + 1 as well.

Dozer Axe is the only thing to make with The Grey Demon's Soul, but it doesn't seem too useful for me.

gdt5016 said:
Woo! Took down 4-1. Now, what do I do with his Soul (same for the Grey Demon, actually)?

Regeneration or Meat Cleaver?

I have A Ring of Regeneration and The Adjudicator's Shield, so I'm pretty good in that department.

But I'm digging the Crescent Falcon + 1 as well.

Dozer Axe is the only thing to make with The Grey Demon's Soul, but it doesn't seem too useful for me.
Get the meat cleaver and dozer axe sucks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How important is the Luck stat in your character build if you're not that interested in farming any ores? I'm asking this because my characters (only character for that matter) is at SL 130 but luck stat is left at level 13.

The only advantage I've seen so far is the Blueblood Sword being uber effective. Speaking of weapons, I'm on NG+, SL 130, but I'm still stuck with my Crescent Falchion +5. I really like it, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a better weapon for a character majoring in Magic (42) and minoring in Strength (30), with the other two relatively lower.

I'm also wondering if I should switch my Adjucitator Shield to something better, it served me well up until this point but I'm looking for something more protective. As it is now, one blow to a raised up shield (in 4) costs around 75% of my stamina.

Any suggestions?

Edit: btw, is it possible to share boss demon's souls in online mode?

roxya

Jinfash said:
How important is the Luck stat in your character build if you're not that interested in farming any ores? I'm asking this because my characters (only character for that matter) is at SL 130 but luck stat is left at level 13.

The only advantage I've seen so far is the Blueblood Sword being uber effective. Speaking of weapons, I'm on NG+, SL 130, but I'm still stuck with my Crescent Falchion +5. I really like it, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on a better weapon for a character majoring in Magic (42) and minoring in Strength (30), with the other two relatively lower.

I'm also wondering if I should switch my Adjucitator Shield to something better, it served me well up until this point but I'm looking for something more protective. As it is now, one blow to a raised up shield (in 4) costs around 75% of my stamina.

Any suggestions?

Edit: btw, is it possible to share boss demon's souls in online mode?

Luck isn't important, as you say, only if you want to use BBS.

With that much strength, you could try 2h a strength weapon (DBS, Crushing mirdan hammer/crushing something else) and using Light Weapon, which'll add a nice boost with your magic stat. I can't think of a weapon that'll work with both without enchanting it.

Purple Flame Shield should be fine. Dark Silver Shield is good but it hurts your own magic damage. Eventually I stay 2h only so I just keep Adjudicator around for regen.

oracrest

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Flamelurker was always a coop favorite of mine. Xo to him.

Flamelurker is a definite bottleneck for me in my level 1 playthrough. He is really tough, and kills me very easily.

I also haven't been able to get past the eye laser ghost in 4-2, so I am working on world 5 in hopes of trying the silver shield later.

I am in the swamp now, and running low on royal lotuses. I managed to kill the big sword wielding black phantom, but the two giant trolls are troublesome. I usually get stuck in the mud when hopping back, and one hit killed, heh.

Zzoram

5-1 boss is so easy. I just walked a bit to the left, spammed flame spray, and didn't get hit once. The boss died in like 30 seconds.

Kalnos

Banned
Zzoram said:
5-1 boss is so easy. I just walked a bit to the left, spammed flame spray, and didn't get hit once. The boss died in like 30 seconds.

All of the bosses in world 5 are jokes, unfortunately. The levels are annoying as hell though.

IrishNinja

electroshockwave said:
So I beat worlds 3 and 5 in NG+++ last night which allowed me to learn the final two miracles and platinum the game. When I first started playing this I thought how much I'd love to platinum it but I didn't think I would have the time to do it. I don't replay most games and I end up not finishing a lot of RPGs but once New Game+ started the game just compelled me to continue playing to see what new challenge it would offer and try more weapons and strategies. This really is one of the standout games of the generation for me. I almost feel a bit lost about what to do now, I've pretty much exclusively been playing Demon's Souls since November apart from when I beat TR: Underworld while waiting for the white tendency event to start.

congrats, m'man! you're an inspiration. i'm halfway through my 3rd playthrough and dreading having to redo both those worlds, but it's getting done!

BeeDog

Backfoggen said:
What exactly do you have to do in order to trigger the finishing move? After hours of playing I just randomly did it.

I guess you're referring to the backstab move, which you do when you try to attack a humanoid enemy that has its back turned towards you.

zerokoolpsx said:
I know that. I'm trying to figure how to kill it at sl 20 and sl 55. Hmmm back stab and run away. If it hits me, I'm dead no matter what.
At SL20 you probably smash everything into magic, and use firespray or flametoss. The mirdian dragon hammer destroys the skeletons as well.

oracrest said:
Flamelurker is a definite bottleneck for me in my level 1 playthrough. He is really tough, and kills me very easily.

I also haven't been able to get past the eye laser ghost in 4-2, so I am working on world 5 in hopes of trying the silver shield later.

I am in the swamp now, and running low on royal lotuses. I managed to kill the big sword wielding black phantom, but the two giant trolls are troublesome. I usually get stuck in the mud when hopping back, and one hit killed, heh.
have you seen the speed run? He falls of the edge and lands in the reapers face, then knocks him off the edge. skipping both of them.

oracrest

Krauser Kat said:
have you seen the speed run? He falls of the edge and lands in the reapers face, then knocks him off the edge. skipping both of them.

That's a good move. I feel like I am cheating though! I will do that if I just can't make it ever.

I did manage to get to the village of filth after the two trolls in 5-2. Trying to get closer and closer to the shortcut (Which I never knew about until I co-oped that level with Canova.) The villagers are hard, I am pretty much dead if they catch me in their wild flail.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
A few days ago I beat Flamelurker (didn't seem too hard, was SL35 or so). Last night I ended up beating Armor Spider and then Fool's Idol. After that I went back to
2-2
to see if I could go any further.

I'm SL40 or so I think, and I didn't even make it into the hallway before the Dragon God smited me. Every other boss (so far) seems relatively easy, but what the heck is up with this one?

Also, the BP in
5-2
is just unfair.
I have a steel shield +3 and I can't block the BPs attack. Not being able to roll doesn't help.

LeCapitan said:
A few days ago I beat Flamelurker (didn't seem too hard, was SL35 or so). Last night I ended up beating Armor Spider and then Fool's Idol. After that I went back to
2-2
to see if I could go any further.

I'm SL40 or so I think, and I didn't even make it into the hallway before the Dragon God smited me. Every other boss (so far) seems relatively easy, but what the heck is up with this one?

Also, the BP in
5-2
is just unfair.
I have a steel shield +3 and I can't block the BPs attack. Not being able to roll doesn't help.
Dragon god is more of a puzzle, than a boss fight. you need to destroy the debris and run.

oracrest

LeCapitan said:
Also, the BP in
5-2
is just unfair.

You have to fight him on an island. Also, don't block but roll. You can roll through his attack if your timing is good enough. Making sure you can roll from the island is the main strategy.

Zzoram

I beat 5-1,5-2,5-3, 2-3, 1-3. All I have left are 4-2, 4-3, and 1-4 now. Why can't I summon in body form in 4-2? It keeps not letting me put my blue eye stone down anywhere.

I'm level 91 now, are there just no players within my range online so it's not letting me summon?

nvm im an idiot, I forgot how blue eye stones work

Jswanko

Just picked up after sitting on the fence for a year and I definitely don't regret it. It sucks having to replay the same section over and over but i love how rewarding it is to try something different and finally get it right.

Zzoram

Jswanko said:
Just picked up after sitting on the fence for a year and I definitely don't regret it. It sucks having to replay the same section over and over but i love how rewarding it is to try something different and finally get it right.

Ya it's like a platformer in that levels aren't really that long, but you have to learn the particulars of each level by dying repeatedly before you can rush through them like a champ.

Top Bottom