• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

coldvein

Banned
thanks guys. one more quicky question..

i picked up some dull gold armors (helmet, gloves, etc) and can't equip them. it doesn't give me the "you don't have enough skill to use this item properly" message, they're just all grayed out on the equip screen. sup with dat?

Canova

Banned
coldvein said:

i picked up some dull gold armors (helmet, gloves, etc) and can't equip them. it doesn't give me the "you don't have enough skill to use this item properly" message, they're just all grayed out on the equip screen. sup with dat?

that armor is for female character

Zeliard

Danielsan said:
Flamerlurker is also history. Man I never truly fought him mano a mano. I always used to beat him using the homing soul arrow spell. Fighting every boss with just a sword and shield and no cheesy tricks gives you a whole other appreciation for the bosses. Great fun! Looks like I will be picking a knight again when Dark Souls is released.

Yeah I've made it a point to fight every boss I can in pure melee with this char, with no cheap tactics or exploits. It's both a lot more fun and a lot more fulfilling. Flamelurker can be an early tough one in melee simply because he has quite high physical resistance unless you use sticky white stuff.

Zzoram

coldvein said:
more absolute nub questions:

looking at weapon stats.. i've got a Crescent Falchion +4, physical attack 101 (+0), magical attack 109(+43). and then a Kilij + 3, physical attack 117(+14), magical attack 0.

just wondering what exactly the magical attack stat means. does it only damage magic creatures, or is it a bonus for all attacks against anything? the kilij has a higher physical attack total, but no magic attack. i've been using the falchion. is that right?
I made a crescent Kilij, it's better than a crescent Falchion when they have equal upgrades due to the Kilij having higher base damage.

Demon's Souls is one of the few games I really don't mind using the DS3 with. I have real triggers though, which definitely helps.

coldvein said:

Press the square button a couple of times on the armor to see more info. If it's for females only, it will say so in the top left corner of the info box.

manzo said:
With this beauty:

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/xbox-360-controller-adapter-for-ps3-100cm-cable-51556

I've finished God of War 3 with it and it was BEAUTIFUL. The superior audio visuals of a PS3 exclusive with the perfection of the 360 controller... this baby reignited my love for the PS3. I don't have to deal with the god-awful DS3 controller anymore!
damn i didnt know deal extreme had those in stock. I should buy one. Better than buying a XCM Cross Battle adapter.

Zeliard

Only issue I have with the DS3 relative to Demon's Souls is how easily those loose R2/L2 triggers can be pushed simply by laying the controller on any surface that isn't totally flat. Haven't smacked around any NPCs but there have been some close calls.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ok, I started this game some nights ago, finished 1-1 (i think; I played the castle and defeated Phalanx)
Got the clad ring, defeated the red eyed dude at the mausoleum, but didn't recieve anything special.
Where should I go next? Just do 1-2? or touch some of the other archstones?
Now I have upgraded some stats, but I really don't know what is good and what isn't?
Should I upgrade "luck" as a knight or not?

Also I learned and remembered the firebolt spell, but when I press "up" on the d-pad nothing is happening?

I already read the wiki, but there is nothing like a "beginners" guide... :(

Des0lar said:
Ok, I started this game some nights ago, finished 1-1 (i think; I played the castle and defeated Phalanx)
Got the clad ring, defeated the red eyed dude at the mausoleum, but didn't recieve anything special.
Now I have upgraded some stats, but I really don't know what is good and what isn't?

Also I learned and remembered the firebolt spell, but when I press "up" on the d-pad nothing is happening?

Don't put anything on luck, it's a waste of souls. I have only recently started playing the game as well, but I seriously doubt you'll be able to beat 1-2 at this point. I went to the second archstone after 1-1 and that was a breeze, plus there's a lot of materials there for upgrading your weapons.

Also, I found this thread to be good for me when I started the game.

manzo

AndyMoogle said:
Demon's Souls is one of the few games I really don't mind using the DS3 with. I have real triggers though, which definitely helps.

I have them too. They don't help. Awful stick placement and even more god-awful triggers.

Still, now I can really enjoy the PS3 titles that don't have the gyroshit implemented without having to curse the controller.

Rawk Hawk

Des0lar said:

I went to 2-1 (Stonefang) after 1-1. But I do believe you need to speak to someone in the Nexus after beating 1-1 to unlock them all if you haven't already. After 2-1, I did 1-2 and by then the game made enough sense that I just started picking off other ones I could do well. Currently I've beat like 6-7 levels.

Luck seems fairly useless unless you plan to use one specific weapon (Blue Blood Sword or something?) which is modified by luck, but generally speaking not worth it.

To cast a spell you need a catalyst, pressing up will change the spell you are casting, you need to find a catalyst and equip it to your left or right hand, then casting the spell will be just like swinging the sword.

Zzoram

They should just change the thread caption to be "don't put points in luck it's useless" to help out all the new people. The current title is meaningless.

derFeef

Got my copy today, not sure I will jump in now as I am kind of tired from work. I flew through the manual and you can´t coop anytime you want?

LeCapitan

Neo Member
derFeef said:
Got my copy today, not sure I will jump in now as I am kind of tired from work. I flew through the manual and you can´t coop anytime you want?

You can if you want to help others.

If you want to be helped, you need to be in human form, which may or may not be anytime you want, depending on the circumstances.

Instro

Zzoram said:
They should just change the thread caption to be "don't put points in luck it's useless" to help out all the new people. The current title is meaningless.

Ha this is actually good to know for me, I just started back into my first playthough of DS recently. Flamelurker has been kicking my ass.

Any tips on where to find some better armor btw? Im basically still using the starter armor of the wanderer, Ive found some better shields like the Purple Flame Shield(not enough strength to use it anyway) and the Dark Heater in 1-2 and 2-2 respectively, but not much in the way of armor or helmets.

Also some other questions, what are those little silvery things in world 2 that run away when I get close, and I found the sword that Scirvir was looking for but now hes not in the place where I met him...?

Rawk Hawk

Instro said:
Ha this is actually good to know for me, I just started back into my first playthough of DS recently. Flamelurker has been kicking my ass.

Any tips on where to find some better armor btw? Im basically still using the starter armor of the wanderer, Ive found some better shields like the Purple Flame Shield(not enough strength to use it anyway) and the Dark Heater in 1-2 and 2-2 respectively, but not much in the way of armor or helmets.

Also some other questions, what are those little silvery things in world 2 that run away when I get close, and I found the sword that Scirvir was looking for but now hes not in the place where I met him...?
Armor seems to be more of a preference (heavy and slow verse light and fast), like there isn't just a better piece of leather set with better defense but the same weight. 3-1 has some decent armor in there, think I found 2-3 full sets just from treasure.

Silvery things are Crystal Lizards, they drop good stones for leveling up weapons, but are not unlimited spawns. Probably best to check wiki out on them if you are interested as I'm still not too familiar with them, but basic idea is you want to kill them before they get away as you only have so many chances per play through to kill each one.

Instro

Rawk Hawk said:
Armor seems to be more of a preference (heavy and slow verse light and fast), like there isn't just a better piece of leather set with better defense but the same weight. 3-1 has some decent armor in there, think I found 2-3 full sets just from treasure.

Silvery things are Crystal Lizards, they drop good stones for leveling up weapons, but are not unlimited spawns. Probably best to check wiki out on them if you are interested as I'm still not too familiar with them, but basic idea is you want to kill them before they get away as you only have so many chances per play through to kill each one.

Interesting, good to know. I'll have to look into the wiki a bit more, Ive only kind of skimmed it so far.

TuxBobble

Des0lar said:

"Up" actually cycles your spells/miracles, much like left/right cycles your left/right hand equipment (shield/weapons usually)

In order to CAST a spell, you need to equip a catalyst(magic) or talisman(miracle) in either left or right hand. Then, you press that weapon's button to cast the spell.

i.e. if you put your catalyst in your right hand, you use the right weapon attack button and it will use whatever is selected on your "up" display in your HUD.

A little confusing the first time you play--I couldn't get the hang of it and figured it out on my own. Hope that helps, though.

Zzoram

Instro said:

Armor is not very important except for very specific cases and even then it's not very effective. Light armor is way better since it doesn't impair stamina regen or movement.

Shiloa

Accidently fell through a gap and died right near the end of 3-1. Angrily tried to rush through it all and got eaten by a squid thing. Lost LOADS of souls. :'(

Zzoram

Shiloa said:
Accidently fell through a gap and died right near the end of 3-1. Angrily tried to rush through it all and got eaten by a squid thing. Lost LOADS of souls. :'(
You can't hate the game for that. I also die to impatience sometimes, but you immediately recognize it was your own fault for not being careful.

Instro

Haha, speaking of impatience, I lost like 15k worth of souls because I figured I wouldnt have any trouble beating the Flameluker on my 3rd try. "No need to go back to the nexus, I got this one", then rage.

The fight itself is so easy too, I keep getting his health way down with magic and then I make a mistake before I can finish him.

Teknoman

How awesome am I?

a9pb1u.jpg

Try to ambush me, ha!

EDIT: Crappy DSi photo, but somehow I managed to get a skeleton in a headlock.

rac

Banned
Killed the flamelurker today on my second try.
Thought he was easy enough just dodge and it him with a couple of soul rays. The problem was I didn't know he got more aggressive when he was at low life and I stopped paying attention. The second time I was doing the same strategy and it got stuck in some bones so I took the easy way out and poison clouded him to death.
Its not like I tried to do it okay.

heringer

Played a little, died at the
Dragon boss
. Luckily, I spent my souls before I could lose em. It's pretty cool, battle system is very enjoyable. Graphics are a bit meh, but the atmosphere makes up for it.

I hope doing the same dungeon over and over doesn't get old.

I'm playing with a Royal class, can I buy awesome armor like the one in the picture above? I might start the game again with a Knight. Is magic that important? It doesn't seem to be all the fun. Melee all the way.

Oh, and please keep the random tips coming. :p

Also, I have no idea what the fuck the story is about.

Canova

Banned
heringer said:
Played a little, died at the
Dragon boss
. Luckily, I spent my souls before I could lose em. It's pretty cool, battle system is very enjoyable. Graphics are a bit meh, but the atmosphere makes up for it.

I hope doing the same dungeon over and over doesn't get old.

I'm playing with a Royal class, can I buy awesome armor like the one in the picture above? I might start the game again with a Knight.

Oh, and please keep the random tips coming. :p

Also, I have no idea what the fuck the story is about.

I don't wanna spoil it for you, but eventually you'll find that armor somewhere. and yeah, eventhough you're a Royal class, you can wear that armor

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Trying to beat the game at level 10, looking for some help with 4-1.

Anyone have a char around that level that wants to help?

edit- never mind, manned up a bit and did it solo.

coldvein

Banned
this game is a real fucking ballbuster.

so i'm around the adjudicator archstone, having finally got my body back, and i've got a shit ton of souls that i was going to spend on some healing grasses. right as i'm approaching the vendor a black phantom comes in, and we proceed to throw fireballs back and forth at eachother down the corridor..unfortunately i hit the merchant with a fireball. i eventually kill the phantom but the merchant is apparently pissed at me. i go to the nexus and come back, he's still pissed. to add insult to this heinous injury, the EXACT SAME phantom comes in, and now i'm completely out of healing stuff, merchant won't sell to me, and this time the phantom kills me. my body is gone. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! i almost broke something. i'll eventually get over this stonerx_666 phantom killing me, but is the merchant always going to be attacking me from now on? dude was my main source of grass. :(((((((((((((((((((((

Zzoram

coldvein said:

so i'm around the adjudicator archstone, having finally got my body back, and i've got a shit ton of souls that i was going to spend on some healing grasses. right as i'm approaching the vendor a black phantom comes in, and we proceed to throw fireballs back and forth at eachother down the corridor..unfortunately i hit the merchant with a fireball. i eventually kill the phantom but the merchant is apparently pissed at me. i go to the nexus and come back, he's still pissed. to add insult to this heinous injury, the EXACT SAME phantom comes in, and now i'm completely out of healing stuff, merchant won't sell to me, and this time the phantom kills me. my body is gone. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! i almost broke something. i'll eventually get over this stonerx_666 phantom killing me, but is the merchant always going to be attacking me from now on? dude was my main source of grass. :(((((((((((((((((((((
Cant stress enough to new people not to hit NPCs. Don't fight near them, ever.

Ya you're gonna need another vendor. Don't worry you can also farm knights if you beat the tower knight boss in 1-2. Go to the 1-3 archstone and run backwards, there will be 2 knights with their backs to you and they drop good grasses.

Also, walking around 4-1 or 4-2 in body form is asking for trouble. Those are by far the 2 most popular invasion sites, plus where people used to run PvP tournaments.

Canova

Banned
coldvein said:

hahahahahahaha......

yes he is. till the next play thru, might as well just kill him now.

he's not the only one selling grass.

Edit: nm

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
The world tendency in the shrine of storms looks extremely white, and yet It isn't pure white.. the makoto has yet to drop and I have killed the old hero and adjudicator. I wasn't being invaded, since I am only level 10 and I don't know of a way to get the world tendency up :/

Out of luck I am?

Canova

Banned
FootNinja said:
The world tendency in the shrine of storms looks extremely white, and yet It isn't pure white.. the makoto has yet to drop and I have killed the old hero and adjudicator. I wasn't being invaded, since I am only level 10 and I don't know of a way to get the world tendency up :/

Out of luck I am?

hmm that's weird? did you ever die in the body form in world 4?

just kill the last boss and hopefully that turns it to pure white

coldvein said:

Yeah, he's going to be permanently angry so you may as well just kill him. If you need grasses I think Patches sells them for cheaper than Blige does, You have to meet him in 4-2 or 2-2 before he appears in the Nexus where you can buy things from him. You can also farm grasses from the soldiers and knights in world 1. Blige more useful as a source of a cheap arrows but Patches also sells better arrows for a pretty low price too.

Like ZZoram says you have to be careful to not accidentally attack NPCs. Some are more vital than others and how much losing them affects you may depend on your character. I killed both Patches and Blige when I got invaded on my first playthrough but it didn't affect me because I didn't really use a bow until NG++. If you do aggro an NPC that you don't want to you should just quit the game via the XMB before the game can save it. And if you're going through a level that you haven't beaten yet to touch your bloodstain or something you're better off doing it in soul form. 4-2 is a particularly invasion heavy level but once you're past the first fog gate you should be fine.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
canova said:
hmm that's weird? did you ever die in the body form in world 4?

just kill the last boss and hopefully that turns it to pure white
haven't died at all so far. I am afraid to fight the last boss, because I don't remember if it was a hard fight or not.

Is that special weapon in the same area as the boss or do I get it elsewhere?

Canova

Banned
FootNinja said:
haven't died at all so far. I am afraid to fight the last boss, because I don't remember if it was a hard fight or not.

Is that special weapon in the same area as the boss or do I get it elsewhere?

if you don't want spoil the white tendency just suicide in the nexus, then go out kill the boss.

yeah that special weapon, storm ruler, is in the same area as the boss

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
canova said:
if you don't want spoil the white tendency just suicide in the nexus, then go out kill the boss.

yeah that special weapon, storm ruler, is in the same area as the boss
I'm going to try the boss in human form and if die I will just bring the world tendency to pure black and kill black phantom Satsuki and or a primeval demon somehow which should bring the world tendency to pure white.

Teknoman

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Love your characters look. What armor and stuff is all that?!

Fluted armor helmet
Gloom Armor breastplate
Fluted armor greaves (?)
Fluted armor gauntlets

I forget the shield, but i'm using a Mercury Broadsword.

EDIT: Fun fact, someone just returned the game at work, complaining that it was too hard and he even died in the tutorial. Tried to tell him thats supposed to happen to progress the game...but im not sure if he meant the first time you become a soul or if he just got killed by those normal guys.

Top Bottom