• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Teknoman said:
Fluted armor helmet
Gloom Armor breastplate
Fluted armor greaves (?)
Fluted armor gauntlets

I forget the shield, but i'm using a Mercury Broadsword.

EDIT: Fun fact, someone just returned the game at work, complaining that it was too hard and he even died in the tutorial. Tried to tell him thats supposed to happen to progress the game...but im not sure if he meant the first time you become a soul or if he just got killed by those normal guys.
Could be by the vangaurd or w.e his name is.

Teknoman

canova said:
you wouldn't last 20 seconds with me ;P

:p Hey i'm still on my first playthrough technically. Had to restart since my 60gig died and just getting back into the souls groove. Forgotten how intense each enemy encounter (outside the beat up human guys) feels.

Need to start learning miracles.

Shiloa

Is there any way to improve lock-on range? I'm sick of moving away and then suddenly the lock-on turning off just at the moment a fireball or something is about to hit me and so my shield is facing the wrong direction.

User 406

Banned
FootNinja said:
Teknoman said:
EDIT: Fun fact, someone just returned the game at work, complaining that it was too hard and he even died in the tutorial. Tried to tell him thats supposed to happen to progress the game...but im not sure if he meant the first time you become a soul or if he just got killed by those normal guys.
Could be by the vangaurd or w.e his name is.

It had to be the vanguard, because the other enemies in the tutorial can't kill you. I was starting a fists only character and was doing ripostes only for the tutorial, and one of the knights hit me when my health was clearly low enough to die, my bar emptied, but I was still standing. I watched, bemused, as he continued to hit me with zero health and nothing happened. So save those grasses for the vanguard, newbies!

I also discovered at the same time that the very first dregling in the tutorial will never actually attack. So I couldn't riposte him. :p

Yaweee

I've found the game to be a lot easier now that I've dumped my default Temple Knight armor, as somebody earlier in the thread suggested. Black Leather + Winged Spear + Shield seems to own for the early stages.

I wish the game gave a better explanation about how movement speeds and stats worked. I still have no idea what the exact mechanics are, but light armor seems >>> heavy armor.

EDIT: Basically, increasing my Equip limit lets me wear better armor while still being able to run and roll easily?

What determines attack speed? The same mechanics?

manzo

Yaweee said:
I've found the game to be a lot easier now that I've dumped my default Temple Knight armor, as somebody earlier in the thread suggested. Black Leather + Winged Spear + Shield seems to own for the early stages.

I wish the game gave a better explanation about how movement speeds and stats worked. I still have no idea what the exact mechanics are, but light armor seems >>> heavy armor.

True. When I understood the rolling system and equipment weight system, the game went from shithard to manageable.

Canova

Banned
Shiloa said:
Is there any way to improve lock-on range? I'm sick of moving away and then suddenly the lock-on turning off just at the moment a fireball or something is about to hit me and so my shield is facing the wrong direction.

no, you can't improve lock-on range.

But if you use bow & arrow, there's a first person view where you can target enemies as far as the arrow can hit

Teknoman said:
Fluted armor helmet
Gloom Armor breastplate
Fluted armor greaves (?)
Fluted armor gauntlets

I forget the shield, but i'm using a Mercury Broadsword.

That's what I thought, great look. The shield is the Knight Shield. It's always nice to have a great, upgraded broadsword as well :)

Poor guy, some people just give up too easily :\

theta11

derFeef said:
I bet this is a famous question, but what is a good beginners class? The Temple Knight looks interesting.

Temple Knight is the best starting class if you plan to go Melee, Royal if you plan to go caster.

And the shield in the pic is the Kite Shield.

oracrest

derFeef said:
I bet this is a famous question, but what is a good beginners class? The Temple Knight looks interesting.

A perfectly legitimate way to select a character. I picked the class that I thought looked best (fluted armor set) and played the first time like that. Had a blast.

heringer

theta11 said:
Temple Knight is the best starting class if you plan to go Melee, Royal if you plan to go caster.

And the shield in the pic is the Kite Shield.
Uh oh, I don't like the sound of that. Might start the game over. I'm not really into magician/ranged type of classes. I'm more into melee. Should I restart with Knight or Temple Knight? :(

The Temple Knight can use swords too, right?

heringer said:
Uh oh, I don't like the sound of that. Might start the game over. I'm not really into magician/ranged type of classes. I'm more into melee. Should I restart with Knight or Temple Knight? :(

You can use any type of weapon, there are no class restrictions. And just because you started as a Royal doesn't mean that you're character can't be melee based. Just put your souls into vitality, endurance as well as strength and dexterity and you'll end up with a character just as good at melee as one that started as a knight.

Zzoram

Fucking DS3. I hit stockpile Thomas while putting down the controller. Luckily he's not aggro yet. Who designed this piece of shit R2 nonsense?

coldvein

Banned
hahaha. i think the controller is fine, i'd be a little more upset with the people who designed this game. i mean....come on, cut us some slack.

heringer

Beat the first world boss, yay. It was easy, but I was carrying a few fire bombs and the super cheap Arrow Sow. It would take a looong time to kill it only with my sword.

heringer said:

So it doesn't really matter which class you pick (except in the beginning), eventually you can become anything you want? Fine by me.

A couple noob questions though:

1 - I bought a pair of metal leggins and when my character wears it he can't roll properly. Too heavy and all. Is that because of his stats or just the nature of heavy armor? In this case, what does chest armor and heavy gauntlets change in the gameplay (I haven't noticed any difference, but who knows)?

2 - What do I do with obsolete gear? Can I sell it?

coldvein said:
hahaha. i think the controller is fine, i'd be a little more upset with the people who designed this game. i mean....come on, cut us some slack.

It's a really lame design decision. I mean, maybe the NPC could be angry for a limited ammount of time, or maybe sell you stuff for higher prices, but stop selling you stuff altogether? That's just unfair for the sake of being unfair.

thorin

heringer said:
It would take a looong time to kill it only with my sword.
Actually, if you use turpentine on your sword you can kill him pretty quickly.

I bought a pair of metal leggins and when my character wears it he can't roll properly. Too heavy and all. Is that because of his stats or just the nature of heavy armor? In this case, what does chest armor and heavy gauntlets change in the gameplay (I haven't noticed any difference, but who knows)?
If your equipment weighs more than %50 of your max equip weight then you can't roll quickly. You can raise your max equip weight by raising the endurance stat. Heavy armor offers more damage resistance, but it's not worth losing my rolls so I just stick with light armor.

What do I do with obsolete gear? Can I sell it?
You can't sell anything, just give it to Stockpile Thomas in the nexus and he will hang on to it for you.

Canova

Banned
Advise to new players:

If you really want to appreciate combat experience in Demon's Souls, then go with melee-style.

1. It's more exciting playing melee

2. You have to be up and close and personal with enemies. It forces you to learn enemies pattern and movement. You have to know kinds of enemies attack. There are light attacks that are 100% blockable, there are attacks that consume your stamina, there are attacks that totally un-blockable

3. You have to know when to dodge, when to roll and when to attack. Because all these 2 movements share a stamina bar. So you have to manage your stamina carefully. Exhausting your stamina in front of the enemies is just asking for death

4. You have to know when to use light attack or heavy attack

5. You have to know which weapon to use and its combo. For example heavy weapons are slow, so you have to initiate your attack before the enemies reach you, etc.

There are just so many variables to melee-style that makes the combat that much more exciting

Yaweee

heringer said:
A couple noob questions though:

1 - I bought a pair of metal leggins and when my character wears it he can't roll properly. Too heavy and all. Is that because of his stats or just the nature of heavy armor? In this case, what does chest armor and heavy gauntlets change in the gameplay (I haven't noticed any difference, but who knows)?

Yeah, again, my biggest complaint with what gets explained to the player.

Check out your current equipment weight compared to your max.

0~50%: "Fast" type, allowing full rolls and some speedier movement.
50~100%": "Slow" type, half fulls, kind of clunky.
100%+: "Encumbered" type, can't roll or do quick steps, can't run.

Go for "Fast" early on, makes things a lot easier. Much easier to dodge and block.

The trade-off is the much better stats that the heavier equipment tends to give you.

heringer

Yaweee said:
Yeah, again, my biggest complaint with what gets explained to the player.

Check out your current equipment weight compared to your max.

0~50%: "Fast" type, allowing full rolls and some speedier movement.
50~100%": "Slow" type, half fulls, kind of clunky.
100%+: "Encumbered" type, can't roll or do quick steps, can't run.

Go for "Fast" early on, makes things a lot easier. Much easier to dodge and block.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my equipment weight is in the 0~50% range. It doesn't matter in that particular case though.

Shiloa

Just beaten the first Latria area. Had a go at the first Shadowmen level...died within a few seconds. What the hell was that thing? Not come across an enemy like that yet. Fast, strong, agile. I couldn't even run away!

Also, which is better, Soul Arrow or Soul Ray?

Rawk Hawk

Yaweee said:
What determines attack speed? The same mechanics?
Weapon I believe, each weapon has it's own speed and there is nothing a player can to do to speed it up or slow it down that I'm aware if.

Canova

Banned
Shiloa said:
Just beaten the first Latria area. Had a go at the first Shadowmen level...died within a few seconds. What the hell was that thing? Not come across an enemy like that yet. Fast, strong, agile. I couldn't even run away!

Also, which is better, Soul Arrow or Soul Ray?

you mean the terminator skeletons? yeah they're deadly. say hi to the black ones

theta11

heringer said:

The starting classes has more to do with your intial gear and stats if you are looking at optimization. Temple Knight edges out other melee classes because it starts with the lowest Magic stat and lowest level meaning you can raise melee relevent stats. In addition Temple Knight starts with a Talisman of God and Heal which means you don't have to pick up a Talisman and the Halberd which has one of the best movesets for melee weapons in the game. ALSO is starts with a shield that is capable off blocking 100% physical damage as well as the ability to parry. That's why most melee (Str/Dex/Fai) builds start with Temple Knight.

There's almost no reason to wear heavy armor in this game, several reasons, first being the strongest player hitting attacks in the game are for the most part magical and fire element and the only heavy armor that protects from any of these is Dark Silver which you get later in the game. These attacks can't be blocked with the equipment you start without taking a ton of damage to both your health and endurance. Heavy armor also reduces the speed at which your stamina regens and stamina is your lifeline. Thirdly heavy armor actually makes noise when you walk so enemies are aware of your presence earlier making some encounters slightly harder.

Instro

So I accidentally walked on top of Sage Freke in the Nexus and did damage to him, he was mad for a second but I can still get spells from him and stuff so I guess Im in the clear. Does this mess up my characters tendency or anything like that?

derFeef said:

I just picked whatever class sounded the most interesting/coolest to me at the time, which ended up being the Wanderer.

Shiloa

Instro said:
So I accidentally walked on top of Sage Freke in the Nexus and did damage to him, he was mad for a second but I can still get spells from him and stuff so I guess Im in the clear. Does this mess up my characters tendency or anything like that?
I did this too but figured it didn't matter considering he still talked to me.

Zoe

I accidentally hit Ostrava once, and all he did was yell at me. It takes a bit to make them attack you.

Zzoram

Shiloa said:
I did this too but figured it didn't matter considering he still talked to me.
You have to hit them 3 times or take off half health, whichever is first, to aggro them, I think, judging from mephistopheles quests

Rawk Hawk

Zzoram said:
You have to hit them 3 times or take off half health, whichever is first, to aggro them, I think, judging from mephistopheles quests
Speaking of, I am trying to get pure black character tendencies, I got pure white and the ring and wanted to move to black.. So I started invading other people (I'm SL75 with a Meat Cleaver and no real build around it lol) and I'm like 1 kill in 12 attempts.

Everyone must love seeing me invade their world, it's like a free kill lol.

Zzoram

Rawk Hawk said:
Speaking of, I am trying to get pure black character tendencies, I got pure white and the ring and wanted to move to black.. So I started invading other people (I'm SL75 with a Meat Cleaver and no real build around it lol) and I'm like 1 kill in 12 attempts.

Everyone must love seeing me invade their world, it's like a free kill lol.
You're boosting them to white character, which is much harder to get IMO than black. To get black you can kill useless NPCs. For example the shopkeeper in world 1, or the depressed blue guy in nexus. Just be careful not to use splash damage and only fight him when the maiden isn't in the big open space in the middle.

I wouldn't kill NPCs until you're almost ready to move to NG+ though just in case.

I finished the black character tendency stuff and am now painfully working my way back to white so I don't get so HP gimped. Being black character lowers your soul form HP even lower than 50%.

Rawk Hawk

Zzoram said:
You're boosting them to white character, which is much harder to get IMO than black. To get black you can kill useless NPCs. For example the shopkeeper in world 1, or the depressed blue guy in nexus. Just be careful not to use splash damage and only fight him when the maiden isn't in the big open space in the middle.

I wouldn't kill NPCs until you're almost ready to move to NG+ though just in case.
Interesting, yea I might just wait 'til I'm ready for NG+ and do that that, instead of trying to get it from other players.

heringer

theta11 said:
There's almost no reason to wear heavy armor in this game, several reasons, first being the strongest player hitting attacks in the game are for the most part magical and fire element and the only heavy armor that protects from any of these is Dark Silver which you get later in the game. These attacks can't be blocked with the equipment you start without taking a ton of damage to both your health and endurance. Heavy armor also reduces the speed at which your stamina regens and stamina is your lifeline. Thirdly heavy armor actually makes noise when you walk so enemies are aware of your presence earlier making some encounters slightly harder.
Well, that sucks. I love the look of heavy armors. :(

Anyway, having trouble in the second boss of the first world. Any tips? I know I have to hit it's
feet, but he doesn't allow any room for me to circle strafe him.

Yaweee

heringer said:

Anyway, having trouble in the second boss of the first world. Any tips? I know I have to hit it's

If you're capable of doing full rolls, you should be able to strafe around him, or break out of lock-on mode and just run behind him, then lock back on and staby-staby-staby.

derFeef

Allright I think I will keep playing with the Temple Knight. That said .. I have no idea what to do, died like six times and I am a bit frustrated and angry. Looking forward to more!

Some questions as neither the game, manual or wiki tells me something. I go into the first world and I am dead and I need to slay something big in order to finish that world and regain my body, right? Now how do I know what this is and where to find it?

Something tells me I have "heal" as a spell (I know it´s called differently :p), but how do I use it? Pressing up on the d-pad does not do anything. Using that talisman eats up lot´s of MP and I can´t seem to find anything to gain that back.

Canova

Banned
heringer said:

increase your stamina/endurance so you can wear heavy armors with ease

Yaweee

derFeef said:
Allright I think I will keep playing with the Temple Knight. That said .. I have no idea what to do, died like six times and I am a bit frustrated and angry. Looking forward to more!

Some questions as neither the game, manual or wiki tells me something. I go into the first world and I am dead and I need to slay something big in order to finish that world and regain my body, right? Now how do I know what this is and where to find it?

Something tells me I have "heal" as a spell (I know it´s called differently :p), but how do I use it? Pressing up on the d-pad does not do anything. Using that talisman eats up lot´s of MP and I can´t seem to find anything to gain that back.

The boss of each level is how you regain your Body. Once you finish 1-1, you get the item that lets you invade other people's games to murder them when you're in Soul form to get your body back, as well. Generally, 1-1 is the intro level, and after that you can start doing tons of the real gameplay mechanics, liking using your Souls to buy permanent stat increases.

The Spice item restores MP. The talisman is how you use the miracles, so you're doing it right. It is expensive MP wise, but it is essentially a full heal for no permanent cost to your character.

Zzoram

For people stuck on a boss, go do another level. You can do things in any order you want, the only exceptions being that 1-1 is the first level and 1-4 is the last level.

heringer

Yaweee said:
If you're capable of doing full rolls, you should be able to strafe around him, or break out of lock-on mode and just run behind him, then lock back on and staby-staby-staby.
Hm, might try running behind him. I'm using a long sword now, is stab more efficient than slashing in this case?

canova said:
increase your stamina/endurance so you can wear heavy armors with ease
That's what I was doing (put like 4 sou levels into endurance, but it still wasn't enough), but now that people are saying that heavy armor is worthless... :(

Zzoram said:
For people stuck on a boss, go do another level. You can do things in any order you want, the only exceptions being that 1-1 is the first level and 1-4 is the last level.
Isn't the difficulty somewhat progressive though? I mean, I assume 2-1 is harder than 1-2...

Zzoram

heringer said:
Hm, might try running behind him. I'm using a long sword now, is stab more efficient than slashing in this case?

That's what I was doing (put like 4 sou levels into endurance, but it still wasn't enough), but now that people are saying that heavy armor is worthless... :(

Isn't the difficulty somewhat progressive though? I mean, I assume 2-1 is harder than 1-2...

I personally think the easiest order to go is:

1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 1-2, 1-3, 4-1, 5-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2, 5-3, 4-2, 4-3, 1-4

derFeef

Yaweee said:
The boss of each level is how you regain your Body. Once you finish 1-1, you get the item that lets you invade other people's games to murder them when you're in Soul form to get your body back, as well. Generally, 1-1 is the intro level, and after that you can start doing tons of the real gameplay mechanics, liking using your Souls to buy permanent stat increases.

The Spice item restores MP. The talisman is how you use the miracles, so you're doing it right. It is expensive MP wise, but it is essentially a full heal for no permanent cost to your character.
Thanks. I learned it the hard way that I can´t do much with my souls right now. I had almost 2000, went back to the nexus and realized that there is not much to do. Then I had to do everything from start in the first world, which was a bit of a bummer ;)

Yaweee

heringer said:

1) I don't know what the 1-2 boss is weak against, but the extra range from spears has been a godsend for me. You can spear things even while you shield is up.

2) Increasing your Endurance increases your maximum equip burden, which also increases your 50% allocation, allowing you to maybe fit in some heavy armor. There's a good PVP video of somebody with endurance so high that he is rolling around in some heavy duty armor owning people. Also, Endurance increases your Stamina, which is extremely important.

3) like the other people said, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 are pretty non-linear. You can do any, even if there is some slight difference in difficulty. I take it as the reason why world 1 has for stages, i.e. prologue, followed by 5 roughly equal sets of 3 stages each.

2-1 Is extremely nice to do early, as your first time through it will net you a fuckload of the basic upgrade reagents (miner guys carry satchels full of the stuff)

Roklie

Just finished my first playthrough, think I'm playing offline 1-1 in NG to make sure that I won't lose all my souls, had completely forgotten that you couldn't level up before finishing it.

Yaweee said:
1) I don't know what the 1-2 boss is weak against, but the extra range from spears has been a godsend for me. You can spear things even while you shield is up.

2) Increasing your Endurance increases your maximum equip burden, which also increases your 50% allocation, allowing you to maybe fit in some heavy armor. There's a good PVP video of somebody with endurance so high that he is rolling around in some heavy duty armor owning people. Also, Endurance increases your Stamina, which is extremely important.

3) like the other people said, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1 are pretty non-linear. You can do any, even if there is some slight difference in difficulty. I take it as the reason why world 1 has for stages, i.e. prologue, followed by 5 roughly equal sets of 3 stages each.

2-1 Is extremely nice to do early, as your first time through it will net you a fuckload of the basic upgrade reagents (miner guys carry satchels full of the stuff)

Just one note - you cap out Stamina at 40 Endurance.

One question - does using a pure-stone gives you an automatically maxed out weapon (e.g. +10) or is it just one level upgrade?

heringer

Hmm, thanks for the tips guys.

A few more questions though:

1 - I upgraded my long sword. Are the itens necessary to do upgrades hard to find? Can I buy them somewhere? How's the best way to farm them?

2 - The only advantage of playing in body form is the higher HP?

3 - How can I invade other worlds?

Canova

Banned
heringer said:
Hmm, thanks for the tips guys.

A few more questions though:

1 - I upgraded my long sword. Are the itens necessary to do upgrades hard to find? Can I buy them somewhere? How's the best way to farm them?

2 - The only advantage of playing in body form is the higher HP?

3 - How can I invade other worlds?

1. yes, materials for long sword are easy to find

2. yes, and I love to be able to hear my foot steps

3. you have find a black stone first by killing one of the black phantoms

heringer

I definitely miss the sound of my footsteps. The rattle of the armor is kinda odd though, like it's out of sync or something.

Top Bottom