• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Hmm, I've been thinking about doing a spears only run. For melee anyway, I'd still use bows of course. Anyone here tried it before?

Zzoram

Baloonatic said:
Hmm, I've been thinking about doing a spears only run. For melee anyway, I'd still use bows of course. Anyone here tried it before?
Sounds good. Go for a 50dex build with 40 end an 50 vit. use a sharp winged spear +5 (good luck with the bladestone) and a sticky compound long bow +5

I killed the demon in 4-1 and got the soul that can get me Dozer Axe. According to Wiki, I need to upgrade any kind of axe to +6 first before I can get the Dozer Axe. Is it worth it? I'm SL29.

Zzoram said:
Sounds good. Go for a 50dex build with 40 end an 50 vit. use a sharp winged spear +5 (good luck with the bladestone) and a sticky compound long bow +5

Alright, let's do this. I love cowering behind my shield!

Baloonatic said:

I have, and it worked fine, it was my first playthrough, did not really put much emphasis on dex, or a specific weapon. Just grinded through the bosses, figuring out the patterns, worse one was, of course, Flamelurker. Old King Allant was also a pain, but only because of my own greed... Getting invaded was interesting, required some adjustment, but that goes without saying.

Zzoram

Farming marrowstone is by far the worst because you don't even get decent souls from it to level with, plus it's so far from te archstone.

Marrowstone trophy and all spells and all miracles are all I have left. 3 trophies left and PSN says I'm only 80% done.

Zzoram said:
Farming marrowstone is by far the worst because you don't even get decent souls from it to level with, plus it's so far from te archstone.
What I did go from the colossus archstone and run all the way back to where you find the primeval beast.

oracrest

some shots of my faith build "Sister Tabitha." Made a point to get the dull gold armor set for the purposes of this playthrough.

ec71336c.jpg

This is the poison trap in the tower. I thought he fell cool after I killed him.
de7ab62a.jpg

69d16efa.jpg

I have always wondered what this guy's deal is, but never checked the wiki. Are there any consequences to killing/not killing him?
018a2717.jpg

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Took down all of shrine of storms, 2-1, and 1-1 solo with my lv 10 character. Got the makoto and all I need now is to beat flame lurker at lv 10 so I can start upgrading the makoto/adjudicators shield with colorless demons souls. I wonder if I can defeat him at such a low level without any magic.

FootNinja said:
Took down all of shrine of storms, 2-1, and 1-1 solo with my lv 10 character. Got the makoto and all I need now is to beat flame lurker at lv 10 so I can start upgrading the makoto/adjudicators shield with colorless demons souls. I wonder if I can defeat him at such a low level without any magic.
It's possible, but you'll need to dodge his attacks a lot. Summon some phantoms to help?

Zzoram

FootNinja said:

Why do you want to use Makoto? Aren't there better weapons?

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Why do you want to use Makoto? Aren't there better weapons?

Makoto is the best looking weapon in the game. Long, black, jagged katana, it can't get any more badass than that. It's my personal fave too.

Look >>>> Damage ;P

Zzoram

canova said:
Makoto is the best looking weapon in the game. Long, black, jagged katana, it can't get any more badass than that. It's my personal fave too.

Look >>>> Damage ;P

I've only been using it to get into hypermode. Maybe I should start using it.

Getting colorless demon's souls the legit way is a bitch, half of the primeevils I've killed didn't drop one

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:

Getting colorless demon's souls the legit way is a bitch, half of the primeevils I've killed didn't drop one

srsly? equip Sword of Searching when killing primevils, it should help a bit

RyanDG

canova said:

Look >>>> Damage ;P

I prefer Hiltless' look over Makoto's. What's more bad ass than having a katana without a handle and only using wrapped cloth to protect your hands from being sliced up? That's hardcore.

Makoto is far those who can't handle real pain (plus it gets better than Makoto once you pump some colorless demon souls into it).

Canova

Banned
RyanDG said:
I prefer Hiltless' look over Makoto's. What's more bad ass than having a katana without a handle and only using wrapped cloth to protect your hands from being sliced up? That's hardcore.

Makoto is far those who can't handle real pain (plus it gets better than Makoto once you pump some colorless demon souls into it).

yeah but hiltless looks just like a regular Uchi

Makoto is cursed too

Zzoram said:

If a primeval demon doesn't drop the soul the game won't save it so you can just load your save file and try again.

RyanDG

canova said:
yeah but hiltless looks just like a regular Uchi

Makoto is cursed too

But Makoto's curse is the pansy curse. It's a constant drain easily off set by a regenerator's ring or adjudicator's shield. For Hiltless, it brings the pain when you bring the pain for every hit. You have to like the fact that as you get closer and closer to killing your opponents you are getting closer to closer to killing yourself.

And technically Hiltless doesn't look exactly like the regular uchi. If you look at the handle, you can tell it's completely unwrapped and you are holding onto the blade itself. Yes, technically the blade color is still the same, but the missing handle is hardcore.

To be fair though, I've been playing my no level up barbarian club only run, and I have to say, there is something satisfying about the club in demon's souls as well... It's just a shame that there are a lot of enemies resistant to the blunt damage it causes.

Canova

Banned
RyanDG said:
But Makoto's curse is the pansy curse. It's a constant drain easily off set by a regenerator's ring or adjudicator's shield. For Hiltless, it brings the pain when you bring the pain for every hit. You have to like the fact that as you get closer and closer to killing your opponents you are getting closer to closer to killing yourself.

And technically Hiltless doesn't look exactly like the regular uchi. If you look at the handle, you can tell it's completely unwrapped and you are holding onto the blade itself. Yes, technically the blade color is still the same, but the missing handle is hardcore.

To be fair though, I've been playing my no level up barbarian club only run, and I have to say, there is something satisfying about the club in demon's souls as well... It's just a shame that there are a lot of enemies resistant to the blunt damage it causes.

I still like makoto's look better :p

Best Looking Weapons
1. Makoto
2. Penetrating Sword
3. Great Sword
4. Soulbrandt
5. Dozer Axe

RyanDG

canova said:
I still like makoto's look better :p

Best Looking Weapons
1. Makoto
2. Penetrating Sword
3. Great Sword
4. Soulbrandt
5. Dozer Axe

Opinions and all... But I really think the Hands of God deserves a place up there somewhere, don't you? Demon's Souls takes on a completely different feel when you are punching demons to death.

RyanDG said:
Opinions and all... But I really think the Hands of God deserves a place up there somewhere, don't you? Demon's Souls takes on a completely different feel when you are punching demons to death.

heh i haven't played much lately but when i do pick it up it's usually to go low level invading with iron knuckles. +5 fire on the left hand to stun, +5 moon on the right for magic damage. suppose it's a bit rude really but the lack of range gives them a fighting chance.

Yaweee

After struggling to kill 5 bosses in 14 hours, I started a new character and as a different class (mage this time) and owned the fuck out of 1-1 in my first attempt. Goddamn. I learned so much already.

Is there any way to restore MP without using consumable items?

way more

canova said:

Look >>>> Damage ;P

Best looking but not best attack animation. That goes to the falchion or Sword of Searching.

I can't emphasize my disappointment when I finally got my strength high enough for the katana only to discover it handles like a Chevy. I guess it's made to single hand.

ijed

Yaweee said:
Is there any way to restore MP without using consumable items?

Cresent Weapons give MP regen as well as Fragrant Ring.

There's also a few items like silver catalyst that boost your MP bar - good to equip when you enter a level so you can cast 2nd chance then switch back to your normal gear

Vendor in 3-1 sells cheap spice though so stock up.

theta11

mac said:
Best looking but not best attack animation. That goes to the falchion or Sword of Searching.

I can't emphasize my disappointment when I finally got my strength high enough for the katana only to discover it handles like a Chevy. I guess it's made to single hand.

Katanas are usually dual wielded, the off-hand attack is broken when you use R1 R1 L1 combo. Katanas also have the best running attack in the game which you can combo into a stun lock on pretty much anything that isn't a boss or has hyper armor. The two of those in combination with curse weapon are more or less game breakers on your first playthrough.

heringer

So, this talk about farming for rare materials got me thinking, should I put some points into Luck? I only have 7 right now. :p

I keep hearing about cut demons souls content and this whole land of the giants thing.

Is there any links to interviews confirming this? I'd like to know more

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Hitless would be stronger if I were to level my guy passed 10, because it scales with dex. Makoto is stronger at lv 10 and has that nice 600 bleed, not to mention the best range of all the katana.

FootNinja said:
Hitless would be stronger if I were to level my guy passed 10, because it scales with dex. Makoto is stronger at lv 10 and has that nice 600 bleed, not to mention the best range of all the katana.

Don't forget that the Makoto also drains HP as you use it. I believe it can be nulled if you use the regen ring however (to some extent).

I LOVE my hiltless.

catashtrophe said:
I keep hearing about cut demons souls content and this whole land of the giants thing.

Is there any links to interviews confirming this? I'd like to know more

The only information regarding this stuff is in the game. The broke archstone, the mention of the land of Giants to the North, etc...

I presume I could be wrong but I don't remember any interviews which discuss the content.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Don't forget that the Makoto also drains HP as you use it. I believe it can be nulled if you use the regen ring however (to some extent).

I LOVE my hiltless.
Well yea, I have the adjudicator's shield AND regen ring, so my health not only doesn't drop, it actually regenerates. My last playthrough was a dex build with +5 hitless and sharp uchi, but I always wanted an invade low level's with makoto character.

theta11

heringer said:
So, this talk about farming for rare materials got me thinking, should I put some points into Luck? I only have 7 right now. :p

Not really, luck increases the chance that an item will drop not the drop rate of the item, and since most of the time you will be farming in PBWT or should be anyways that makes for it. Plus BP enemies always drop an item so luck doesn't play a factor. You really only should raise luck if you are using a Blueblood Sword.

theta11

FootNinja said:
Well yea, I have the adjudicator's shield AND regen ring, so my health not only doesn't drop, it actually regenerates. My last playthrough was a dex build with +5 hitless and sharp uchi, but I always wanted an invade low level's with makoto character.

Invading low levels sure is fun >_>, why not level up to 120 and invade 4-1.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
theta11 said:
Invading low levels sure is fun >_>, why not level up to 120 and invade 4-1.
Had my fill of that last playthrough. Playing through the game at a low level is actually a challenge, unlike anything was before. Chasing around new players is just a perk for my hard work.

Rawk Hawk

I like the looks of the meat cleaver, and am trying to build my character around that. I'm generally not that good with the large weapons in PvP, but I'll get better lol.

I am a bit confused about this cracked talisman I keep reading about? I've read that's what I want to use for casting Cursed Weapon, I don't have a ToB yet, but want to make sure I don't level up the wrong stats to be able to do this.

Teknoman

Didnt expect this...but some high level black phantom came into my game...and actually killed all the enemies for me, then left.

Whats funny is that I put the controller down to do something while alive (never again), then I come back, and some black phantom is standing in from of me. First thing I do is ready my shield, but then he turns around and destroys all the skeleton enemies leading further into 4-1. Felt strange, because I knew that at any moment he could turn around and one shot me :p

Rawk Hawk

Teknoman said:
Didnt expect this...but some high level black phantom came into my game...and actually killed all the enemies for me, then left.

Whats funny is that I put the controller down to do something while alive (never again), then I come back, and some black phantom is standing in from of me. First thing I do is ready my shield, but then he turns around and destroys all the skeleton enemies leading further into 4-1. Felt strange, because I knew that at any moment he could turn around and one shot me :p
All black phantoms are actually lower level than you, but probably just had a better weapon for it. Seems nice of him to help you, wonder why he would do that..

Anyway I found that for the skeletons my Dragon Mirdan Hammer +2 just plows through them, blunt and fire together seems it be a great combo.

What level are you Tek, we should set up some PvP!

Teknoman said:

This has actually happened to me quite a bit.

Some folks are just nice like that :) Especially when it happens on the harder levels. One of my first times playing 3-1 it happened to me...

Teknoman said:

What SL were you AT most he was probably 20 levels up. Im always a dick when i invade and go straight for the lizards. I guess a BP friend would be great for farming the lizards in 2-2 since they would not run away until hit. Making sure you get all of them.

Xanathus

Actually black phantoms can only invade players that are a higher soul level than them, so technically you're at an advantage against black phantoms especially if you summon blue phantoms. Of course that doesn't help much against black phantoms who delevel themselves while still using max upgraded weapons and armor.

Teknoman

Only SL 34. Of course after I remembered Adjucator's weakness and made it to 4-2, I had a crazy duel with someone trying to kill me while I was fighting the reaper(?). I won, but there were some close moments. One thing I like about the PvP is that it can span the entire area (before the boss fight anyway).

heringer

I'm such a fucking noob.

So, I manage to beat the Knight in 1-2, then I proceed to the 2-1 level, super happy with my new shinny body. As soon as I enter the stage I see a message "Run straight forward" on the edge of a cliff. I thought to myself "cool, probably a secret area". Nope. Lost my body in less than a minute. :(

Why the fake messages? There was a bunch on this level. Was that placed by developers?

Anyway, still managed to beat the level with no major frustration. The
Spider
boss was super easy using the Arrow Soul. Lot's of shards and materials in the level, which is very nice.

A few more noob questions:

- Where do I get the talisman to use miracles?

- How do I enchant my weapons? Can I remove the enchantment?

- Is there a place on the web where I can see all types of weapons with detailed descriptions? I'm under the impression that it's easier to backstab with some types of sword.

There are more questions, but I can't remember all of them right now.

Zzoram

heringer said:
I'm such a fucking noob.

So, I manage to beat the Knight in 1-2, then I proceed to the 2-1 level, super happy with my new shinny body. As soon as I enter the stage I see a message "Run straight forward" on the edge of a cliff. I thought to myself "cool, probably a secret area". Nope. Lost my body in less than a minute. :(

Why the fake messages? There was a bunch on this level. Was that placed by developers?

Spider
boss was super easy using the Arrow Soul. Lot's of shards and materials in the level, which is very nice.

- Is there a place on the web where I can see all types of weapons with detailed descriptions? I'm under the impression that it's easier to backstab with some types of sword.

Fake messages are left by players. You can never tell if a message is real or not. Sometimes there really IS a secret area you have to fall down to, other times it's just a trick.

The wiki contains information about everything but avoid the walkthroughs and maps to not get spoiled.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Enchant weapon is a temporary spell that only works on nonmagical weapons.

heringer said:
I'm such a fucking noob.

Spider

-You can get a Talisman of God just to the right of the first fog gate in 4-1.
-To enchant a weapon you must learn and remember an enchanting spell (such as Enchant weapon, Light weapon and Cursed weapon) and a have a catalyst equipped in your left hand. The enchantment will wear off after a minute. You can also use the sticky white stuff item to enchant weapons. Not every weapon or upgrade path allows enchantment, here's the full list: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/enchant
-The wiki has details on every weapon. I'm not really sure if it is more or less difficult to get critical hits with different weapons but the amount of extra damage may change depending on whether or not the weapon has a critical damage special effect like weapons that follow the fatal upgrade path using marrowstone.

Teknoman

I never leave fake messages, but I will leave cryptic messages. Of course, you never know whats fake and what isnt. Also make sure to recommend helpful messages. Helps other players, and gives HP back to those that left them.

EDIT: One thing i'm glad they are fixing in Dark Souls is the lack of certain weapon types. So many rare large swords but so few other types (like straight swords or curved swords).

Can you still block/dodge while using a large sword? I know you'll probably have to balance equip burden, but not sure if i'll still be using shields if I decide to go with a rare large sword.

Zeliard

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This has actually happened to me quite a bit.

Some folks are just nice like that :) Especially when it happens on the harder levels. One of my first times playing 3-1 it happened to me...

Yeah, it's cool. The issue though is that friendly Black Phantoms basically make it easy-mode since the enemies don't target them. I had it happen to me once, it was fun to see. I was about to attack him and he bowed, so I hesitated. Then he sort of just ran ahead and started killing fools, and I was like "well, ok then."

I try not to invade others as a friendly BP though because I don't know if they need the help, though it'd be a fun mind fuck to pull.

Top Bottom