• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Teknoman

Heh, you could go in looking friendly, then just push them off a bridge when they least expect it. Honestly, i'd rather play a fair black phantom, or just hunt them through the stage. Sorta like playing as Nemesis from RE3 or Pyramid Head lol.

Rawk Hawk

Teknoman said:
I never leave fake messages, but I will leave cryptic messages. Of course, you never know whats fake and what isnt. Also make sure to recommend helpful messages. Helps other players, and gives HP back to those that left them.

EDIT: One thing i'm glad they are fixing in Dark Souls is the lack of certain weapon types. So many rare large swords but so few other types (like straight swords or curved swords).

Can you still block/dodge while using a large sword? I know you'll probably have to balance equip burden, but not sure if i'll still be using shields if I decide to go with a rare large sword.
As long as your equipment burden is 50% of the max, you can move at full speeds regardless the weapon you have equiped. I use a large sword, and it does look pretty funny as I'm dive rolling all over the place with it, but I use the Black Leather set because it only weighs 3.1 lbs.

Rawk Hawk

Teknoman said:
Rawk what was your PSN again?
Mr_Rawk_Hawk

I'm currently SL77, thinking of making a second character if I decide to seriously take on PvP, since I picked wanderer as my starting class, I appear to be somewhat behind everyones builds because my luck starts at 13, so I'm basically wasting 6 levels there.

heringer

Beat 3-1. Annoying stage, annoying boss. Yukes.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with the little ammount of armor sets in the game. There just isn't enough for you to get that nice sense of progression. I mean, the game already gives you plenty of that because of it's nature, but I loved that I was always with a brand new set of armor in Monster Hunter Tri, for example.

Canova

Banned
heringer said:

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with the little ammount of armor sets in the game. There just isn't enough for you to get that nice sense of progression. I mean, the game already gives you plenty of that because of it's nature, but I loved that I was always with a brand new set of armor in Monster Hunter Tri, for example.

On top of character starting armors (thief, knight, priest, etc) I think there 5-6 more sets you can find in the game

heringer said:

3-1 is a great stage, nothing like rolling through arrows of death and killing the doll before her first warp with a clever rats ring and crescent weapon.

RyanDG

Teknoman said:
Heh, you could go in looking friendly, then just push them off a bridge when they least expect it. Honestly, i'd rather play a fair black phantom, or just hunt them through the stage. Sorta like playing as Nemesis from RE3 or Pyramid Head lol.

I'm a bastard black phantom. I like stalking people throughout the level just staying out of range and then backstabbing them just as they finish off a real tough enemy. There's enough sneak material in the game that with the right equipment and set skills, it's easy to be right on top of them before they even notice that you have a blade in their back. I've gotten a lot of angry messages from people over the year or so that I've played the game all saying that I should play fair or my favorite is 'learn how to play'.

I love this game. Being evil in Demon's Souls is so much more satisfying than it is in other games. Possibly because I know just how painful it is to be on the otherside of an invasion. From really created something special in the multiplayer aspect of this game.

Rawk Hawk

RyanDG said:
I'm a bastard black phantom. I like stalking people throughout the level just staying out of range and then backstabbing them just as they finish off a real tough enemy. There's enough sneak material in the game that with the right equipment and set skills, it's easy to be right on top of them before they even notice that you have a blade in their back. I've gotten a lot of angry messages from people over the year or so that I've played the game all saying that I should play fair or my favorite is 'learn how to play'.

I love this game. Being evil in Demon's Souls is so much more satisfying than it is in other games. Possibly because I know just how painful it is to be on the otherside of an invasion. From really created something special in the multiplayer aspect of this game.
I hate when people jump you as you are in or just after a fight with a tough enemy, but to be fair, who engages a tough enemy after they see they have been invaded? My first reaction is find blue signs and hunt down the black phantom, or depending on the world, find a good spot that you know he will come through to try and get ahead of you.

I do have a question for the veterans though, if you enter the boss fight it says the black phantom has left the game, do they lose a soul level as if they were banished?

heringer

canova said:
On top of character starting armors (thief, knight, priest, etc) I think there 5-6 more sets you can find in the game
Yeah, not a lot. :(

Anyway, there's a prisioner I forgot to freed in 3-1. Not the mage, but the one with a really blue aura. What does he do when I save him? Do I get something special?

Rawk Hawk said:
I hate when people jump you as you are in or just after a fight with a tough enemy, but to be fair, who engages a tough enemy after they see they have been invaded? My first reaction is find blue signs and hunt down the black phantom, or depending on the world, find a good spot that you know he will come through to try and get ahead of you.

I do have a question for the veterans though, if you enter the boss fight it says the black phantom has left the game, do they lose a soul level as if they were banished?

I don't think so. As far as I know a black phantom only loses a soul level if they die to the environment, exit with a white eye stone or if they were summoned via a red eye stone and get killed.

heringer said:

Anyway, there's a prisioner I forgot to freed in 3-1. Not the mage, but the one with a really blue aura. What does he do when I save him? Do I get something special?

If you have white world tendency an area will open in 3-2, there you can get a key that unlocks Rydell's cell. If you free him he will give you the Dull Rat's Ring, which raises your defense when your health drops below 30%. You'll get through the game fine without it but if you want the Rogue's trophy that's the only way to get the ring apart from trading with another player.

oracrest

heringer said:

And as long as you have white tendency in Tower of Latria, there is another hallway of jail cells that opens up just past his cell. The giant stone blocks will disappear.

Yaweee

Uh, interesting how much changes in world tendency. I had no idea it would change things like that.

Anyhow, I started a new character as a Magician, as I said before, and in a few short hours I'm as far as my first characters. So far, Magic feels >>> Pure Melee. I mean, with my pumped magic stat and light Armor, I have as much mobility as before, but also do more damage with my Crescent Saber than I did with my Winged Spear +5. That, and magic appears to completely destroy the enemies I had a lot of difficult before (despite a lower Soul Level, I can easily kill the Vanguard and flying things in 4-1, and the worms in 2-2.

oracrest said:
And as long as you have white tendency in Tower of Latria, there is another hallway of jail cells that opens up just past his cell. The giant stone blocks will disappear.
I don't think that's the answer to his question. If he's talking about that blue phantom the key to the cell is in 3-2. You have to have pure white world tendency and it's at the stairway above those
worshipping guys. There is two sections I forgot which.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:

plus another level in the prison where there are tons of loots. go thru the door just pass the blob monster

oracrest

Crakatak187 said:
I don't think that's the answer to his question. If he's talking about that blue phantom the key to the cell is in 3-2. You have to have pure white world tendency and it's at the stairway above those
worshipping guys. There is two sections I forgot which.

Because someone already answered it before me.

Canova, I was wondering about that, the "locked" door? I don't remember ever going through it. I had another first in Boletarian palace, where you fight the first blue eyed knight, that little drop off from the wall, to get a hidden item. I killed him in a way that he fell off the wall, and when I went to watch him fall, I noticed a glowing sparkly down there!

can anyone confirm that the asian version still has the souls glitch where you switch back and forth between characters?

i'm real close to getting my platinum in NA version, but i don't want to go through the hassle of soulsucking/duping with somebody else to get myself to SL 712. i'd rather do it again and glitch my way there.

heringer

Any tips for 2-2? The huge bugs are impossible to kill.

Also, I'm kinda lost. I got to a place where
there's a lot of lava and a few bugs in it. How can I get through? I got the ring of fire resistance from that random guy, but it is not enough to get past the lava.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Because someone already answered it before me.

Canova, I was wondering about that, the "locked" door? I don't remember ever going through it. I had another first in Boletarian palace, where you fight the first blue eyed knight, that little drop off from the wall, to get a hidden item. I killed him in a way that he fell off the wall, and when I went to watch him fall, I noticed a glowing sparkly down there!

the treasure in the 1-1 drop-off is nothing though. but beyond 3-1 secret door, the loot is awesome, legendary hero souls, 2 chunk of some rare stones, ephemereal stones, etc

heringer said:

there's a lot of lava and a few bugs in it. How can I get through? I got the ring of fire resistance from that random guy, but it is not enough to get past the lava.

use crescent weapons, and piercing move.

there's a small path in the lava area, just you walk close to the wall

oracrest

canova said:
the treasure in the 1-1 drop-off is nothing though. but beyond 3-1 secret door, the loot is awesome, legendary hero souls, 2 chunk of some rare stones, ephemereal stones, etc

Yeah, the item was nothing, but I was impressed that I STILL keep finding little hidden areas and nooks after so much time spent with this game. A testament to it's design and level of exploration.

heringer said:

When I first got down there, I had enough health to run out to an item, only to have my character be overburdened, then I died. It's tricky, but you can make it out there. Perhaps try at a later time when you have more health. There is flame resistance, and also water veil spell, which should help with the damage. (I think?)

Those really huge bugs are one of the "mini bosses" of this level, meaning that you only have to kill them once, and they don't respawn later.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Yeah, the item was nothing, but I was impressed that I STILL keep finding little hidden areas and nooks after so much time spent with this game. A testament to it's design and level of exploration.

When I first got down there, I had enough health to run out to an item, only to have my character be overburdened, then I died. It's tricky, but you can make it out there. Perhaps try at a later time when you have more health. There is flame resistance, and also water veil spell, which should help with the damage. (I think?)

Those really huge bugs are one of the "mini bosses" of this level, meaning that you only have to kill them once, and they don't respawn later.

yeah true, I see your point.

did you find the hidden area in 3-1 behind some rubbles? the area leads to a ledge where you can find a mercury weapon

Yaweee

I did the "dropping" section of 2-2 instead, and goddamnit did I hate it. The "push" boxes for the walls feels so random and glitchy. It's so much shorter than the other way, though!

I do really like how there are two drastically different ways to do that level. The "real" section seems to be massively long, and even after spending quite a bit of time in it I didn't see where it links to the Flamelurker battle.

Instro

Omfg manhunter boss,
Really two of them? Why would you do this?!

Anyway, I think my best bet would be to just equip the heaviest and strongest equipment I have because rolling seems a bit useless in this fight. Whats this boss weak to? My crescent falchion isnt getting the job done quickly enough.

thorin

With the Maneaters I just gave up trying to fight them with my sword. So I left and beat 1-3 & 2-3 and came back and Firestormed their asses. It killed them in one hit.

I wonder though, if you kill one of them and die to the other, does the first one revive?

Instro said:
Omfg manhunter boss,
Really two of them? Why would you do this?!

Anyway, I think my best bet would be to just equip the heaviest and strongest equipment I have because rolling seems a bit useless in this fight. Whats this boss weak to? My crescent falchion isnt getting the job done quickly enough.
They're weak to fire.

thorin said:
With the Maneaters I just gave up trying to fight them with my sword. So I left and beat 1-3 & 2-3 and came back and Firestormed their asses. It killed them in one hit.

I wonder though, if you kill one of them and die to the other, does the first one revive?
Yes, the first one revives and you get to do it all over again, Roxbury style! In fact, you get to do the whole stage all over again. :p

heringer

canova said:

use crescent weapons, and piercing move.

there's a small path in the lava area, just you walk close to the wall
Crescent weapons? How can I get one?

Piercing move didn't seem to damage them any more than slashing. :/

Instro

Hm well firestorm I dont have access too nor would I be able to use it anyway, there a couple other fire spells I could get but Im not sure if I would be better saving those demon souls for weapons.

Hm if I could find some chunks of bladestone to beef up my sharp kilij or sharp uchigatana some more and then use turpentine on it, that might work.

Whats hyper mode btw?

Yaweee

heringer said:
Crescent weapons? How can I get one?

Piercing move didn't seem to damage them any more than slashing. :/

There's a Crescent weapon in 4-1 if you follow a path in the first tower up on to the cliffside, I think. Crescent Saber +1, with an "A" damage scaling for Magic, and MP regeneration when you have it equipped.

Instro said:
Whats hyper mode btw?
Hyper mode is when you have 30% hp and have clever rats ring + morion blade in off hand and your weapon, you do +110% damage increase for melee. For mage, wear ring of magical sharpness, clever rats ring, morion blade offhand, insanity catalyst or kris blade +5 main hand, and monk's headwrap. Huge numbers, but any strong attack will kill you. That's the trade off.

Speevy

Banned
Just bought the game again yesterday (had beaten it before and my old PS3 died, so I had to start over), tore through the first castle without dying once.

Still amazing.

ZeroRay

Decided to make another character, a magician Royal. So boring, feels like easy automatic mode from DMC.

So I started again with a wanderer; much better.

Edit: Also had a nice experience with a ghost. Started 1-1 with someone and it seems like that person made the same progress I did. It ended up with both of us touching the Phalanx archstone at the same time. Don't know if it was the same guy, but I'd like to think so. :D

Nice to know you're never alone.

Instro said:
Hm well firestorm I dont have access too nor would I be able to use it anyway, there a couple other fire spells I could get but Im not sure if I would be better saving those demon souls for weapons.

Hm if I could find some chunks of bladestone to beef up my sharp kilij or sharp uchigatana some more and then use turpentine on it, that might work.

Whats hyper mode btw?
Hyper mode is when you equip a clever cats ring and a morion blade and drop your health under 30%. You get 50% + 30 for physical attacks. if you wear a magical sharpness ring your get another 20% and headcollar +30%.
physical is 100x1.5=150x1.3= 195%
magic is ((((100*1.5)1.3)1.3)1.2)=304%

only problem is your health is shit and you will probably die from a single hit without warding. This method is great of using arrows to kill a couple of bosses ( i use it on the flamelurker now).

oracrest

canova said:
yeah true, I see your point.

did you find the hidden area in 3-1 behind some rubbles? the area leads to a ledge where you can find a mercury weapon

The giant stone cube at the corner that disappears in white tendency? The funny thing with that was it happened to be white the first time I ever got there, and I never realized it would otherwise be blocked off. I also got Rydell's key the first time on that tower. I think it was a server event way back when.

Man, platinum is going to be really hard I think. It's less about the time to do all the requirements, but every playthrough, I just want to play it again with a new character to try different weapons and stuff instead.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Any news on a PBWT event for Valentine's Day week? I could really use it right now since I'm chunk/pure ore farming and I'm short on SOEEs.

heringer

Yaweee said:
There's a Crescent weapon in 4-1 if you follow a path in the first tower up on to the cliffside, I think. Crescent Saber +1, with an "A" damage scaling for Magic, and MP regeneration when you have it equipped.
Found this one, thanks. It's nice, but the Dragon Sword I found in 2-2 is better. :D

Also, just bought the Evacuate miracle. Kinda pricey, I hope it's worth it.

Joei

I wish I could forget I ever played this game and everything about it.

Just so I could experience it's virgin awesomeness again

You can do it man. Just get a Purple flame shield and enough endurance to wield it without slowing you down. That shield blocks majority of the fire attack. Just watch out when he's dying he goes berserk hahaha

Or you can get him stuck in the ribcages and arrow his ass to death.

TuxBobble

Yea well, it would be ne thing if i wasn't standing OUTSIDE of the boss...lol. But I don't have water veil OR the purple flame shield. So I wasn't planning on leaving and having to fight through all these enemies again. The fat bugs in the tunnel take FOREVER for me to kill...

Xanathus

TuxBobble said:
Yea well, it would be ne thing if i wasn't standing OUTSIDE of the boss...lol. But I don't have water veil OR the purple flame shield. So I wasn't planning on leaving and having to fight through all these enemies again. The fat bugs in the tunnel take FOREVER for me to kill...
There's a shortcut to the boss by going to the end of the right tunnel at the very start of the level, and carefully dropping down the pit using the broken walkways.

There is a shortcut to get there. At the start of the stage you go right and fall down the ledges properly and you can get to the boss in a minute or two.

The purple flame shield is at the dragon's nest in 1-1 with pure white tendency they go away.

Top Bottom