• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Instro

Crakatak187 said:
There is a shortcut to get there. At the start of the stage you go right and fall down the ledges properly and you can get to the boss in a minute or two.

The purple flame shield is at the dragon's nest in 1-1 with pure white tendency they go away.

Or you can just kill the red dragon with arrows.

Canova

Banned
Fighting old hero without thief ring was a nightmare. lol

He always tracked me down, then he one-shot me with his bomb attack

rac

Banned
I think this will be the first game this gen where I actually want to start a new game right away. 1-4 this weekend my body is ready.

rac said:
I think this will be the first game this gen where I actually want to start a new game right away. 1-4 this weekend my body is ready.

lol ... seriously, the rush going into 1-1 in NG+ knowing what you know, and being level 78 or whatever with +10 gear, is as remarkable as everything else with this game.

You could even say without hesitation, "The True Demon's Souls Starts Here" message is as fitting at the start of NG+ as is it was when you first saw it. :)

Canova

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
lol ... seriously, the rush going into 1-1 in NG+ knowing what you know, and being level 78 or whatever with +10 gear, is as remarkable as everything else with this game.

You could even say without hesitation, "The True Demon's Souls Starts Here" message is as fitting at the start of NG+ as is it was when you first saw it. :)

I definitely enjoyed my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc more than my first. The 1st playthru was stressful

rac

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:

I've done 1-1 so much I'm confident I would be able to beat it even if my attacks only did 1 damage.
Also with my eyes closed.

My first playthrough wasn't really stressful at all. It was in fact enjoyable. Something about exploration and the learning curve in Demon Souls that is really intriguing.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
After creating my bad ass low level invader, I find myself going into games, killing a bunch of blue phantoms and helping people a lot. I guess I don't have what it takes to be a true black phantom.

It is tempting to infect everyone with baby's nail, but one shotting them is not a whole lot of fun.

oracrest

I finally got my priest trophies, all miracles, and fainstone weapon.

I took a few more shots of the play through. They have some really good compositions sometimes. It's especially fun to play with the telescope and get different angles and close ups.

IMG_0599_.jpg

IMG_0594_.jpg

IMG_0602_.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0613_.jpg

Yaweee

4-2 feels brutal as a caster. The damn flying dudes are out of range and I can't manually target =(

Overall, world 4 feels a lot more depressing than the rest of the game due to how many souls you lose when you die. You get so much per kill that if you don't manage to make it back to your bloodstain, =(

Weapon upgrades go higher than +5, but you only need to get +5 with each upgrade path for the respective trophy?

Zzoram

Yaweee said:
4-2 feels brutal as a caster. The damn flying dudes are out of range and I can't manually target =(

Overall, world 4 feels a lot more depressing than the rest of the game due to how many souls you lose when you die. You get so much per kill that if you don't manage to make it back to your bloodstain, =(

Weapon upgrades go higher than +5, but you only need to get +5 with each upgrade path for the respective trophy?
Only plain hardstone or sharpstone upgrades go to +10. The special stones top out at +5.

man NG++ is starting to really test me again. the rate of level progression has basically slowed to nil but the game is not sympathetic to my issues.

i've gone from being able to comfortably snipe BP mind-flayers to bum-rushing them with warding up and throwing down a firestorm before they can cast. its kind of a rush because it does have the potential to go horribly awry.

also, despite strategies saying you can use firestorm to great effect on the old monk it was pretty useless for me. he rolls away when i cast and typically gets hit maybe once or twice for a measly 200-270-ish damage. i found it much easier to equip the dark silver shield and hack away when i had a chance.

chiba

Yaweee said:

Been awhile since I played, but wear your stealth ring, forget the name. Flyers in 4-2 will ignore ya.

Ill Saint

oracrest said:
I finally got my priest trophies, all miracles, and fainstone weapon.
Nice work, and nice shots! I'm struggling to even build a single Blessed weapon. Getting any Faintstone bits at all in world 5 is a serious struggle for me. :(

Instro

Getting bladestone is such a pain, wish I had known before going heavy on the dexterity. Oh well, I managed to finally beat the maneater though the other day so that was a plus.

oracrest

Ill Saint said:
Nice work, and nice shots! I'm struggling to even build a single Blessed weapon. Getting any Faintstone bits at all in world 5 is a serious struggle for me. :(

It wasn't so hard for me. I just unplugged my ethernet cable, to play offline, and ephemeral stone/suicided my way to black world tendency.

From 5-1, you can play as far as the stacked shanty roofs, and then drop down to the hidden area below, to harvest the crystal lizard that sits there. (Wear your thief ring, and it helps if you have killed all the bosses in 5 so he appears more times.) When he stopped showing up, I moved onto the one in 5-2, just across the bridge that you can unlock. Once he was dead, I hunted down the meat cleaver black phantom for his faintstones.

Just doing that, I was able to make most of the upgrades with what I had recieved. Th epure faintstone is the easiest, since the female disciple just gives you once if your faith is high enough. Everything else I got from starting at the 5-3 archstone, and going backwards through shanty town. There are 3 shamans per run through that are all close together. Also, be sure to get the primeval demon just past that third shaman, so you can get his colorless demon soul for one of the miracles. (I got the other two by trading with sparky a talisman of god, and gold mask.)

Zzoram

Instro said:
Getting bladestone is such a pain, wish I had known before going heavy on the dexterity. Oh well, I managed to finally beat the maneater though the other day so that was a plus.
I made a Sharp uchi +5 after only ~4 hours farming the secret tunnel dual katana black skeleton.

Ill Saint

oracrest said:
It wasn't so hard for me. I just unplugged my ethernet cable, to play offline, and ephemeral stone/suicided my way to black world tendency.
Thanks for the tips! I kinda suck at farming, but I guess now's a good a time as any to work on it.

oracrest

Ill Saint said:
Thanks for the tips! I kinda suck at farming, but I guess now's a good a time as any to work on it.

Yeah, if you're going to spend any amount of time to farm materials, you might as well take all the advantages you can. I spent a good hour in Stonefang killing worms for their mid-rare drop to no avail. Then I changed the tendency to full black, and I seemed to get one at least every 2 or 3 runs.

heringer

I like 4-1. The flying things are annoying, but you ge ta lot of souls on this stage.

And wow, 5-1 is awesome. It looks really brilliant. Almost like I would want a Vagrant Story remake to look some times. :p

Little pic I took:

demonsouls.jpg

Ill Saint said:
farming is easy. you just have to make sure you're looking ahead. how many deaths do you need for PBWT? how many ethereal stones do you have? is there a tendency event coming up? will you be able to revert your world away from PBWT before you hit NG+(+++) so that they're not all super-hard once you start again? did you clear far enough into the world to make getting to your farm spot easy?

it just takes a little planning.

Ill Saint

Rabbitwork said:
farming is easy. you just have to make sure you're looking ahead. how many deaths do you need for PBWT? how many ethereal stones do you have? is there a tendency event coming up? will you be able to revert your world away from PBWT before you hit NG+(+++) so that they're not all super-hard once you start again? did you clear far enough into the world to make getting to your farm spot easy?

it just takes a little planning.
yeah, the world tendency stuff is no problem, I've got all that sorted. It's more killing those bastard lizards and having the patience to farm critters!

Teknoman

heringer said:
I like 4-1. The flying things are annoying, but you ge ta lot of souls on this stage.

And wow, 5-1 is awesome. It looks really brilliant. Almost like I would want a Vagrant Story remake to look some times. :p

Little pic I took:

demonsouls.jpg

Bring fire.

Yaweee

5-1 is pretty awesome, especially with some of the significant shortcuts you can find by dropping down ledges.

5-2, on the other hand, can suck a camel's ass. An entire stage built around encumbered movement and status ailments? Joy!

9 Bosses down so far, and I can make it to Maneater (need to make enough attempt after quickly gaining 10 soul levels finishing 1-3 and and a little bit of 1-1)

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
In my repeated attempts to kill BP Selen Vinland (finally did it yesterday whooo!) I unintentionally ended up farming a pretty good amount of Marrowstone and Suckerstone. What's a good weapon to build with fatal and tearing?

theta11

heringer said:

Little pic I took:

Are you using Adjudicators Shield as a real shield?! Blasphemy!

Shiloa

I hate 5-1. Demon's Souls has a terrible camera and having an area full of tight corners and things to get in the way of the camera...it's so frustrating.

bone_and_sinew said:
In my repeated attempts to kill BP Selen Vinland (finally did it yesterday whooo!) I unintentionally ended up farming a pretty good amount of Marrowstone and Suckerstone. What's a good weapon to build with fatal and tearing?

For fatal I think an Estoc is the best choice. For tearing the +5 war scythe and uchigatana seem to be equal as far as damage, bleed effect and stat bonuses are concerned, so you may just want to choose based on which moveset you prefer. The uchi requires some extra suckerstone shards and chunks but on the plus side it doesn't need to be upgraded with sharpstone before you start the tearing upgrade path.

Yaweee

Shiloa said:
I hate 5-1. Demon's Souls has a terrible camera and having an area full of tight corners and things to get in the way of the camera...it's so frustrating.

Yeah, the junction of pits, ledges, the bad camera, and the weird push/boundary box is one of the game's biggest problems.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
BLARGH 4-2 is such a sweltering asshole.

First I run into the grim reaper and tear him up before he points his spindly-ass finger at me (for ridiculous damage) and you get, like, thousands of souls, like, bam! not even three minutes into the thing. but fuck if I'm gonna run back and forth there to power level like some ass who enjoys the loading screens too much when the whole level is riddled with crazy soul-dropping enemies. So I press on, then I gotta crawl that thin-ass ledge luring all those damned skeletors out one at a time - especially those iced out ones - two at a time? fuck you 4-2. :|

but then. BUT THEN! you have to run across a small bridge and on some steps you meet one of those ghostly motherfuckers and he does that god damned dragon ball z hyper beam shit every time! gaaaawd that does too many damages. But after dying three times, and essentially amounting a pool of 40k souls in his face, I figured that you could run up real close and his face-laser misses! what I failed to plan for was the fact that I had to fight him, so I flailed a bit thinking he was easy to kill cus there are a lot of enemies in 4 that have high damage output and low life, BUT NAAAAAAAH - this dude is apparently the ghost of hercules because he took a good flurry, depleting my entire stamina bar and then just pushed me off the ledge (where I got a nice little 'oh noes' falling animation which I've never seen before, such lovely details) BUT THEN I REALIZE I DIDNT PICK UP THE SOUL SPLOOGE BEFORE I STARTED WHACKING AT HIM OH FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Brobzoid said:

First I run into the grim reaper and tear him up before he points his spindly-ass finger at me (for ridiculous damage) and you get, like, thousands of souls, like, bam! not even three minutes into the thing. but fuck if I'm gonna run back and forth there to power level like some ass who enjoys the loading screens too much when the whole level is riddled with crazy soul-dropping enemies. So I press on, then I gotta crawl that thin-ass ledge luring all those damned skeletors out one at a time - especially those iced out ones - two at a time? fuck you 4-2. :|

but then. BUT THEN! you have to run across a small bridge and on some steps you meet one of those ghostly motherfuckers and he does that god damned dragon ball z hyper beam shit every time! gaaaawd that does too many damages. But after dying three times, and essentially amounting a pool of 40k souls in his face, I figured that you could run up real close and his face-laser misses! what I failed to plan for was the fact that I had to fight him, so I flailed a bit thinking he was easy to kill cus there are a lot of enemies in 4 that have high damage output and low life, BUT NAAAAAAAH - this dude is apparently the ghost of hercules because he took a good flurry, depleting my entire stamina bar and then just pushed me off the ledge (where I got a nice little 'oh noes' falling animation which I've never seen before, such lovely details) BUT THEN I REALIZE I DIDNT PICK UP THE SOUL SPLOOGE BEFORE I STARTED WHACKING AT HIM OH FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
All about strategy. You can actually arrow him to death, without being hurt.

Canova

Banned
Brobzoid said:

hahahahaha

it's always fun to read Demon's Souls noob story.

I see that you don't utilize upgraded bow & heavy arrows much, use those. Make 4-2 a lot easier. In fact you can farm the first reaper with just bow and arrow, fast

Also did you equip thief rings? those flying mantas would leave you alone when you have thief ring equipped

As far as the laser from the ghost, that's magic attack, so if you have anything in your inventory to reduce magic damage, use it

warriors dont arrows. you gotta get up in that ass with some cutlery >:I

hahahaha this noob got an attitude ;P

EDIT: tongue and cheek, don't take it seriously ;)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I'm OG from the first OT y'all haters! Just been so long since I played I don't remember much. u_u

I have the thief and the cling ring equipped at the moment, the mantras aren't really giving me that much of a problem, sometimes they snipe at me when I'm preoccupied with other enemies (it's kind of a pain to stay on top of where they are since you gotta pin the camera in the ground all the damn time). Is there a ring that reduces magic damage taken? I have a fire resistance ring and various other specific ones (gash, poison, etc). I suppose I could buff my shield in a anti-magic fashion, but that seems like a pretty costly investment just to fuck over the few ghosts in 4-2 I actually have to tussle with.

I'm playing a wanderer currently rocking the standard blade upped +3 and a heater shield +2. Imma start busting points into some heavier swords once I get the strength to use them properly, but til then I'm gonna continue to roll how I roll.

I didn't need no stinking arrows or magic last time through and I ain't gonna be needing it now either. >:|

Save maybe a enchant spell or something, cus sticky white stuff is too expensive. :c

Yaweee

Just finished my first playthrough. I was kind of disappointed in the endgame.

Is what I read true that increasing your Luck can be counterproductive for getting rare drops?

Rabbitwork said:
... but the game is not sympathetic to my issues.

I lol'd. :)

Yaweee said:
Is what I read true that increasing your Luck can be counterproductive for getting rare drops?

Counterproductive? No. It just doesn't help all that much since a lot of the rare drops come from enemies that always drop something anyway, so increasing drop rate is meaningless. But definitely not counterproductive.

Yaweee

This World Tendency stuff is depressingly . I need to essentially play Offline to do the Pure Black stuff, and even then playing in the "hard" mode that it offers is extremely limited? And online, the world freaking resets to average everytime you go back to the Nexus? That really sucks.

Can I get black online, then turn the system off and continue in offline mode, keeping the Black I earned online?

Teknoman

Yaweee said:
This World Tendency stuff is depressingly . I need to essentially play Offline to do the Pure Black stuff, and even then playing in the "hard" mode that it offers is extremely limited? And online, the world freaking resets to average everytime you go back to the Nexus? That really sucks.

Can I get black online, then turn the system off and continue in offline mode, keeping the Black I earned online?

You could wait for another world tendency event turned on by Atlus(?) They've set things to pure black or pure white for various occasions.

Broseybrose

Yaweee said:

Returning to the nexus while logged in is what will fuck up your black WT. It sounds like youve got it figured out.

heringer

Just killed
Yurt
. Nice armor. :)

Currently using a Dragon Claymore 1+. It's pretty cool. I have a question though, does the Enchant Weapon spell change weapons that already carry fire damage?

Broseybrose

heringer said:
Just killed
Yurt
. Nice armor. :)

Currently using a Dragon Claymore 1+. It's pretty cool. I have a question though, does the Enchant Weapon spell change weapons that already carry fire damage?
No, you can only enchant or curse non-magic/fire weapons.

heringer

Just got summoned to a 4-2 game and we beat the stage. Got my body back and tons of souls. Nice. :)

fallagin said:
HaHa, he is such an ass. He killed a couple dudes before I found out online that you pretty much MUST kill him.
Yeah, I'm glad a friend of mine had told me beforehand that I should kill him on sight. :p

oracrest

Brobzoid said:
... just to fuck over the few ghosts in 4-2 ...

They are tricky. They have been a bottle neck for a few playthroughs for me. I did figure out that if you can survive one hit with a shield, then you are good for killing him. I use thief ring so they start the beam a lot later. Once the beam knocks your shield once, you can immediately start attacking, even though the beam is still touching you and panning slowly. I popped it into two handed wielding, and swung with the light attack. My stamina usually runs out before it's dead, but it will replenish enough to finish him off before he swings or beams again.

Yaweee said:

Yeah, whatever world tendency you get to will retain whether you are online or not. The only thing that online does it knock it a step towards whatever the server average is when you go in and out of the Nexus. You may notice when Atlus does a server event, your game might not actually be pure white when you go online. you will have to go in and out of the Nexus enough times to knock it all the way to what the server is set to, if you are in pure black initially, for example.

If you really want to specifically do the black tendency events, then go offline for it.

Rawk Hawk

End game question:

I've beaten all the levels and after killing the False King in 1-4 it triggered the nexus event (this is my first play through). The maiden doesn't seem to want to allow me to level up anymore, I've gone back to the nexus to farm items and such, but have I prevented myself from leveling up until NG+?

Zzoram

Rawk Hawk said:
End game question:

I've beaten all the levels and after killing the False King in 1-4 it triggered the nexus event (this is my first play through). The maiden doesn't seem to want to allow me to level up anymore, I've gone back to the nexus to farm items and such, but have I prevented myself from leveling up until NG+?

Yep.
Gotta survive 1-1 again in NG+ to level up again.

Also, mods, why don't we have a spoiler button in the post options like we have a Bold or Quote button? Spoiler is something that's been used on this site for ages, but we still have to manually type the tag.

Top Bottom