• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

equil

I just recently heard about this game when a friend of mine told me to get it so we can play co op.
But I just saw that the online support is going away next month...

Rawk Hawk

Zzoram said:
Yep.
Gotta survive 1-1 again in NG+ to level up again.

Also, mods, why don't we have a spoiler button in the post options like we have a Bold or Quote button? Spoiler is something that's been used on this site for ages, but we still have to manually type the tag.

Kind of thought so, thanks.

My game glitched (or more likely, I screwed something up, but I'm going to blame a glitch to make me feel better) and I'm so mad,
in 1-3 I saved Ostrava, and talked to him, but after beating the boss, Ostrava was no longer in the nexus.. his assassination quest was one I wanted to do for ToB and I didn't get the key to unlock the door in 1-1, so upset.

I have gone back through 1-3 over and over in hopes of him respawning, but no luck. I think maybe I didn't talk to him enough times? I did die to the boss once, but Ostrava was still roaming around when I came through the level a second time, and I cleared all the enemies around him.

Zzoram

equil said:
I just recently heard about this game when a friend of mine told me to get it so we can play co op.
But I just saw that the online support is going away next month...
Online is up until at least October 2011 for north America and will be extended again if still active enough. Youve heard old news.

desverger

GAF, help a fellow gaffer to play and enjoy Demon's Souls.

I've bought the game and played for a while (started out as a Royal), but what has struck me is the breadth of the character building and choice of equipment in here. The game doesn't really support indecision - the souls burning in your pocket that are lost when you eventually die are a constant reminder of the fact that I should have a crystal clear idea how to build my character, and immediately spend said souls to attribute upgrades.

So, help me by recommending a character build.

Out of the starting "classes", I liked the Royal and Temple Knight the most, so I suppose a mage-heavy character, or a heavily armored tank with lots of points in Faith would be the best options for me. Problem is, I don't really have a definite idea how to build those characters to be efficient. With the Royal, I found my melee proficiency so inferior that I was always skulking in a corner waiting for mana regen, and with the Temple Knight, lacking a ranged attack really made me burn through those healing items.

The type of character that I usually play is a stealthy rogue type, but I found the bows unwieldy and parrying and backstabbing quite difficult, and I'd ultimately want to play a character which doesn't rely on those abilities to be efficient.

Zzoram

desverger said:

I've bought the game and played for a while (started out as a Royal), but what has struck me is the breadth of the character building and choice of equipment in here. The game doesn't really support indecision - the souls burning in your pocket that are lost when you eventually die are a constant reminder of the fact that I should have a crystal clear idea how to build my character, and immediately spend said souls to attribute upgrades.

So, help me by recommending a character build.

Out of the starting "classes", I liked the Royal and Temple Knight the most, so I suppose a mage-heavy character, or a heavily armored tank with lots of points in Faith would be the best options for me. Problem is, I don't really have a definite idea how to build those characters to be efficient. With the Royal, I found my melee proficiency so inferior that I was always skulking in a corner waiting for mana regen, and with the Temple Knight, lacking a ranged attack really made me burn through those healing items.

The type of character that I usually play is a stealthy rogue type, but I found the bows unwieldy and parrying and backstabbing quite difficult, and I'd ultimately want to play a character which doesn't rely on those abilities to be efficient.
Royal is best starting class for mages and temple knight is best starting class for melee so you're on the right track.

You should either go melee+magic or melee+bow.

For melee characters, get Vit, End, STR, Dex. Preferably focus more on either STR or Dex, and then use a crushing (dmg based on your str) great sword or great axe for strength focus or sharp (dmg based on your Dex) uchigata or winged spear for Dex focus. Make a sticky compound long bow as well.

Alternate melee option is Vit, End, faith, use the sticky compound long bow, And a Blessed (dmg based on your faith) Mirdan hammer. You start with enough STR and Dex to use a Mirdan hammer as a temple knight. You might need to add Dex to use the bow.

For Mage characters get vit, int, mag, and only get faith if you plan to use talisman of beast. Mage characters should use Moon or Crescent (dmg based on your magic) Kilij.

Tips:
-never put points in luck
-Avoid taking any stat over 40 due to diminishing returns past 40

Is there going to be a Pure White World Tendency event for the Asian server soon?

Since my first play-through (Feb 2010) I haven't touched this beautiful game anymore, I've missed the March 2010 PWWT event and am still waiting to this day for a new event. I'd like to get the Platinum trophy for this piece of art (would be my first Plat), but time is a limited commodity nowadays, so I wouldn't mind a little help from From Software...

oracrest

desverger said:

There really isn't that much anxiety with making a character. Every attribute you improve also helps your physical defense, so it is difficult to really mess up leveling a character. Zzoram had some good tips.

I would recommend that you find an armor set and weapons that equate to less than 50% of your equip burden. That way, you will dodge and roll fast. You can spend points on endurance to increase your burden amount to use heavier armors with no encumbrance penalty. There is a Thief ring available in the first level that will help you with sneaking up on enemies and backstabbing
you will have to get crafty at walking slowly behind enemies so as not to startle them even with the ring on

With melee, try out the crossbows. They are projectile, like the bows, but without a first person camera, so you can just lock and fire pretty simple.

Hllchild

Neo Member
Personally I used soul arrow when i didn't want to go into first person view but i also relied heavily on rolling behind enemies and backstabbing them. Gave up on parries after the tutorial level lol.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
oracrest said:
With melee, try out the crossbows. They are projectile, like the bows, but without a first person camera, so you can just lock and fire pretty simple.

My two cents:

Crossbows
Pros - They're one handed, so you can still raise your shield while using them.
Cons - No first person view.

Bows
Pros - First person view for targeting from much farther away.
Cons - Two handed. Have to switch stances (using triangle) to raise your shield again.

desverger

Zzoram said:
Royal is best starting class for mages and temple knight is best starting class for melee so you're on the right track.

You should either go melee+magic or melee+bow.

For Mage characters get vit, int, mag, and only get faith if you plan to use talisman of beast. Mage characters should use Moon or Crescent (dmg based on your magic) Kilij.

Cheers! I didn't know weapons like that existed. I think I'm going to try the caster route since I've played the most on the Royal, and try to find one of those magic-based weapons. Any tips on which world I should enter to find one of those?

I noticed that most useful stats seem to be Vit and End - I guess for the stamina and proper rolling ability?

Also, as a mage character, is there really a lot of point in upgrading your Int that much? You get more spell slots only, and more mp - but that's it. You also mentioned Faith - would it be feasible to use both magic and miracles on the same char, or do you just fall in between in terms of efficiency?

desverger said:
Cheers! I didn't know weapons like that existed. I think I'm going to try the caster route since I've played the most on the Royal, and try to find one of those magic-based weapons. Any tips on which world I should enter to find one of those?

I noticed that most useful stats seem to be Vit and End - I guess for the stamina and proper rolling ability?

Also, as a mage character, is there really a lot of point in upgrading your Int that much? You get more spell slots only, and more mp - but that's it. You also mentioned Faith - would it be feasible to use both magic and miracles on the same char, or do you just fall in between in terms of efficiency?

First and easiest to get (even at low level) is the crescent weapon in 4.1. Go up the stairs (skeletons might be a bit hard, turpentine helps). Then go left in the arching building (mind the trap!). Then go left and try not to shit in your pants when you see the double wielding katana red skeleton.

Run to his right side and roll past him to get to the weapon. Mash X to pick it up and then fall down (doesn't really matter if you die granted you got the weapon).

Congrats ! Your life is now 10x times easier !

(Don't put any point in faith or luck for a mage character. Focus on Vit/End/Mag/Int and only level up Str end Dex if you need to wield a specific weapon)

oracrest

Farming bladestone by running back from 4-3.

Damn, that skeleton is a slippery little bitch. Out of 7 runs, he killed me twice, fell off the cliff 4 times, and the last time, my controller ran out of battery, and he just killed my dumb ass standing there.

I managed to get him eventually, he just is tricky when he lunges OFF the ledge after I backstab him.

Rawk Hawk

oracrest said:
Farming bladestone by running back from 4-3.

Damn, that skeleton is a slippery little bitch. Out of 7 runs, he killed me twice, fell off the cliff 4 times, and the last time, my controller ran out of battery, and he just killed my dumb ass standing there.

I managed to get him eventually, he just is tricky when he lunges OFF the ledge after I backstab him.
Which one is that? I've been starting at 4-2 and killing the reaper and then going out to the one through the tunnel, but have had horrible lucky getting a pure stone. Maybe a change will help me, likely no better drop rate, but I need a change, doing the same run over and over is getting old fast. I should just part ways with some SoEE and turn it pure black.. just hate to use them.

EDIT: Just look at the map, guessing you are talking about the BP, so maybe I should just start parting ways with those SoEE lol.

oracrest

Rawk Hawk said:
Which one is that? I've been starting at 4-2 and killing the reaper and then going out to the one through the tunnel, but have had horrible lucky getting a pure stone. Maybe a change will help me, likely no better drop rate, but I need a change, doing the same run over and over is getting old fast. I should just part ways with some SoEE and turn it pure black.. just hate to use them.

EDIT: Just look at the map, guessing you are talking about the BP, so maybe I should just start parting ways with those SoEE lol.

Yeah, make it pure black and play offline. I believe that BP has a better drop rate.

Also, there is an "infinite" supply of stones from the merchant in 5-2, but you can only buy one at a time.

oracrest

Farmed the black phantom dual katana skeleton for about 4 or 5 hours last night, and didn't get any pure bladestone. 2 Uchigatanas though.

I am also at about 300,000 souls. I have been playing online with a friend, and I afraid I am going to level up out of his range, so I have just been holding on to all these souls from farming.

And the servers still seem plenty busy. When we were playing, he was getting invaded almost every time before he had a chance to summon me in. And plenty of other people were summoning me in to their game. I had to start dropping my sign down in St. Urbain's cave.

Just got this game...right now I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. I'm soul level 31 I think, but my character (female temple knight) is still not strong enough to wield the Purple Flame Shield. What stats should I focus on upgrading in order to do this?

Instro

oracrest said:
Farmed the black phantom dual katana skeleton for about 4 or 5 hours last night, and didn't get any pure bladestone. 2 Uchigatanas though.

I am also at about 300,000 souls. I have been playing online with a friend, and I afraid I am going to level up out of his range, so I have just been holding on to all these souls from farming.

And the servers still seem plenty busy. When we were playing, he was getting invaded almost every time before he had a chance to summon me in. And plenty of other people were summoning me in to their game. I had to start dropping my sign down in St. Urbain's cave.

I got my pure bladestone from the dual katana skeleton in the hidden passage in 4-2. It was great because I had been farming bladestone the previous night, so I had planned to move further into the game instead of wasting more time, but I said to myself "well I might as well do one run real quick cause i need some souls", was really surprised when I got a pure bladestone on that one run, very lucky. Didnt even have to bother with the black phantom version. +5 uchigatana is so nice.

Anyway finished my first playthrough today, I really enjoyed the game very much. King Allant was quite tough, but I handled him pretty well after a couple tries. Too bad I missed out on Doran, but I'll get him on my NG+ which I've already started. PvP seems quite a bit more active at these higher soul levels, I didnt get invaded once my first playthrough, but got invaded twice on 1-1 in my 2nd playthrough. Kicked their asses though.

Kyleripman said:
Just got this game...right now I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. I'm soul level 31 I think, but my character (female temple knight) is still not strong enough to wield the Purple Flame Shield. What stats should I focus on upgrading in order to do this?

Check the items stats(press square), pretty sure you need something like 22 strength.

Kyleripman said:

22 Strength is the only stat requirement for the PFS but as it is quite heavy you will probably also want to upgrade your endurance so you can still roll quickly with it equipped. If you're not sure about how to read the weapon stats page I made a post explaining it earlier in the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25151292&postcount=2794

oracrest

Instro said:
I got my pure bladestone from the dual katana skeleton in the hidden passage in 4-2. It was great because I had been farming bladestone the previous night, so I had planned to move further into the game instead of wasting more time, but I said to myself "well I might as well do one run real quick cause i need some souls", was really surprised when I got a pure bladestone on that one run, very lucky. Didnt even have to bother with the black phantom version. +5 uchigatana is so nice.

I have read that some people just get lucky, as is with all probablility. I read on one forum about someone that got it on their first dual katana skeleton kill :/

Some dude broke it down that if you kill BP 100 times, you have a 59.5% chance of getting the pure. I have probably put in the ballpark of 6 or 7 hours of farming into it. I would like to actually get the damned thing, but if all else fails, someone said they would trade an extra one they have to me.

Congrats on beating it. I was the same way about multiplayer, I didn't really even experiment with it until NG+

electroshockwave said:
22 Strength is the only stat requirement for the PFS but as it is quite heavy you will probably also want to upgrade your endurance so you can still roll quickly with it equipped. If you're not sure about how to read the weapon stats page I made a post explaining it earlier in the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25151292&postcount=2794

Thanks! (and thanks, instro, too)
With the flame shield I was able to beat Flamelurker...would it even be possible without?

Instro said:
You are so damn lucky. I never seen it dropped, not from the one in the hidden passage. Demon's souls wiki listed it as very rare.
Kyleripman said:
With the flame shield I was able to beat Flamelurker...would it even be possible without?
You can beat it without PFS. Using magic speeds up the process.

Ifrit

If anyone's up to some Demon's Souls Talk, in the latest 3 episodes of The Geekbox Ryan Scott, who normally hates hard games, decides to give Demon's Souls a shot just to prove himself, by the second week he ends up loving it and on the third one he spends like half an episode talking about it, good stuff

Zeliard

Ifrit said:
If anyone's up to some Demon's Souls Talk, in the latest 3 episodes of the geekbox Ryan Scott, who normally hates hard games, decides to give Demon's Souls a shot just to prove himself, by the second week he ends up loving it and on the third one he spends like half an episode talking about it, good stuff

It's almost enough to forgive him for his hatred of Ninja Gaiden. :p

babuchy

Recently started playing DS, I'm a big fan of WRPG like BG2 and NWN, so I started with a Mage, and in only 6 hours played and I'm freaking out with this amazing and huge game ...

The best RPG I've played in years

p.s.: damned tower knight!!! :p

Ifrit

Zeliard said:
It's almost enough to forgive him for his hatred of Ninja Gaiden. :p

Yeah, I kinda hate when they say NG is cheap and all without giving it a fair chance
NG2 CAN be cheap at some point on PotMN, but they shouldn't know that if they can't finish it on the normal dificulty, which is NOT cheap
, however, I do enjoy when they talk shit about battletoads XD

Rawk Hawk

Well I made a Blueblood Sword, and I kind of like it.. I'm at SL106 and debating deleveling myself to make a build for this since then my Wanderer class won't be a bad thing.

Appears I am in a tough place to do this without a red eyes stone, but if anyone has soulsucker and is in a situation where we can try to meet up (via black stone since I don't have red) let me know, you can collect up some souls while deleveling me. I need to get down to about 45 or so.

oracrest

Ifrit said:
If anyone's up to some Demon's Souls Talk, in the latest 3 episodes of The Geekbox Ryan Scott, who normally hates hard games, decides to give Demon's Souls a shot just to prove himself, by the second week he ends up loving it and on the third one he spends like half an episode talking about it, good stuff

I love listening to people talk about their experiences. You can tell he straight up falls in love with the game between the first and second podcasts.

Rawk Hawk

Anyone in range I could get in 4-1 lol, I can't seem to invade anyone (to just warp out and lose a level that way). 4-1 always seems like the popular spot, but I can't seem to find anyone.

Instro

Kyleripman said:

I didnt have the strength to use PFS, just ran around spamming soul arrow. Worked pretty well, sucks if you get caught though because he can kill you really quick if you make a mistake.

oracrest

If I get the European black phantom version, does it allow me to make 4 more characters with a different save file? I am full up on my NA version, but wanted to start more characters.

oracrest said:
If I get the European black phantom version, does it allow me to make 4 more characters with a different save file? I am full up on my NA version, but wanted to start more characters.
Can't you delete one of your old characters instead? I have three different versions of the game and they all have completely different save files.

oracrest

archnemesis said:
Can't you delete one of your old characters instead? I have three different versions of the game and they all have completely different save files.

Sweet, good to know. I can't bring myself to delete any characters. I still go back and use them all.

oracrest

archnemesis said:

Sweet, good to know. I can't bring myself to delete any characters. I still go back and use them all.

Rabbitwork said:
can anyone confirm that the asian version still has the souls glitch where you switch back and forth between characters?

i'm real close to getting my platinum in NA version, but i don't want to go through the hassle of soulsucking/duping with somebody else to get myself to SL 712. i'd rather do it again and glitch my way there.
anyone have an answer to this?

Instro said:
I didnt have the strength to use PFS, just ran around spamming soul arrow. Worked pretty well, sucks if you get caught though because he can kill you really quick if you make a mistake.

Pretty basic question, but where do you start acquiring magic? I'm SL 39 now and I don't have a single spell other than the heal miracle that comes with being a Temple Knight.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Kyleripman said:
Pretty basic question, but where do you start acquiring magic? I'm SL 39 now and I don't have a single spell other than the heal miracle that comes with being a Temple Knight.
There are npc's who teach you magic spells. Saint urbain, yuria the witch, sage freke ect. You have to have certain stats and the items which let you use magic though. I only ever learned like 2 magic spells, so my memory is really fuzzy.

theta11

oracrest said:

Just do what I did and use another PSN account, I've got a JPN, a Euro and a USA PSN account on my PS3 which is why I have 12 DS Characters :D

theta11

Kyleripman said:

Magic is learned from Sage Frekes Apprentice, Sage Freke and Yuria. For Freke and the Apprentice to teach you anything it requires you have a Magic stat above 10. Freke and Yuria need to be unlocked before you can buy magic from them and they carry magic which you need boss souls to trade. The apprentice is available after you complete 1-1 and talk to the monumental though.

User 406

Banned
Zzoram said:
No idea why anyone would want to maintain more than 4 save files in this game anyways.

Let's see, I've got my original character who's at SL 420 and counting, a fists only guy, a club only barbarian, a blueblood user, a pure mage, a spear/tower shield/brushwood armor tank, a permanent SL 1 guy, and some other experiment I've forgotten about. If I want to tinker further, I'll need a third PSN account. :p

When I get bored with one, I can always make some progress on one of the others.

Rawk Hawk

I am down to SL 103, but still having a hard time invading people. Anyone with soulsucker that wants some free souls let me know, think if I'm doing my math right I need to get down to SL 45 before I can start rebuilding.

Top Bottom