• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

Rawk Hawk said:
Kind of thought so, thanks.

My game glitched (or more likely, I screwed something up, but I'm going to blame a glitch to make me feel better) and I'm so mad,
in 1-3 I saved Ostrava, and talked to him, but after beating the boss, Ostrava was no longer in the nexus.. his assassination quest was one I wanted to do for ToB and I didn't get the key to unlock the door in 1-1, so upset.

I have gone back through 1-3 over and over in hopes of him respawning, but no luck. I think maybe I didn't talk to him enough times? I did die to the boss once, but Ostrava was still roaming around when I came through the level a second time, and I cleared all the enemies around him.

Once you beat Penetrator,
Ostrava is waiting for you deeper into 1-4. He doesn't return to the Nexus after 1-3.

gdt

Woot! Beat 5-1!

What do I do with the Wriggling Demon's Soul? Cure or Poison Cloud? Leaning towards Cure, I think.

Rawk Hawk

oracrest said:
Once you beat Penetrator,
Ostrava is waiting for you deeper into 1-4. He doesn't return to the Nexus after 1-3.

Looking at the map on the wiki, I couldn't find him. They said he would be right on some stairs, but no dice. Everything in 1-3 was dead though, so only thing I can think is while I was fighting Penetrator he found and enemy I hadn't killed yet and died to him.

Either way I'm on my next play through now, and I killed him in 1-1 to get the key lol.

Rawk Hawk

gdt5016 said:
Woot! Beat 5-1!

What do I do with the Wriggling Demon's Soul? Cure or Poison Cloud? Leaning towards Cure, I think.
I went with poison cloud because you can take out some pretty tough enemies by using it and running away to safety lol. So if you don't mind looking like a coward to yourself, poison cloud can help.

oracrest

Rawk Hawk said:
Looking at the map on the wiki, I couldn't find him. They said he would be right on some stairs, but no dice. Everything in 1-3 was dead though, so only thing I can think is while I was fighting Penetrator he found and enemy I hadn't killed yet and died to him.

Either way I'm on my next play through now, and I killed him in 1-1 to get the key lol.

Yeah, he should be right after the blue dragon's second perch. You then fight his black phantom in the hallway before the elevator. It's possible that he was killed by the soldiers near the top of the large stairs before the portcullis in 1-3. You generally need to kill the 3 soldiers at the top of the stairs, then the swordsman and spearman through the narrow passage as well.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I love this game, save for the ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH lock-on camera and total lack of safety when you are near physical edges.

The amount of deaths I've endured by way of enemies rotating and inadvertantly pushing me off thin ledges is astounding.

If Dark Souls pretty much copy>pastes Demon's Souls but enhances ONLY camera, lock-on functionality and adds an edge-safety mechanic, I'm all-in.

Vitten

gdt5016 said:
Woot! Beat 5-1!

Healing spells are pretty useless and a waste of a spell slot. Always use herbs for healing. I'd go with Posion Cloud, it's a pretty handy spell for cheezing Flamelurker or False King or certain BPs who could otherwise kick your ass.

TuxBobble

Sooo...I'm a hoarder. It's not because I like or need to hoard. It's because I have NO IDEA what's good.

Translation: I have yet to spend a single stone, or unique demon's soul. The reason? Because I have no idea what's worth upgrading, in what way. I'm currently up to 4-2, soul level in or around the 50's.

I am a sword/shield user. Been using the black leather armor all game since it's light. I just got the Tower Shield, Adjudicator's Shield, and primarily just use a Dragon's Long Sword +1 because with the fire damage it deals more than any other weapon I have.

If anyone has any good tips on what's worth upgrading, and why, I'd appreciate it. (Also need to figure out what to get so that I can get all the trophies, because I don't know what I need for them)

Thanks everyone!

gdt5016 said:
Woot! Beat 5-1!

Go with poison cloud. It's so useful if you ever plan on taking out Doran with thief's ring.

oracrest

TuxBobble said:
Sooo...I'm a hoarder. It's not because I like or need to hoard. It's because I have NO IDEA what's good.

Translation: I have yet to spend a single stone, or unique demon's soul. The reason? Because I have no idea what's worth upgrading, in what way. I'm currently up to 4-2, soul level in or around the 50's.

I am a sword/shield user. Been using the black leather armor all game since it's light. I just got the Tower Shield, Adjudicator's Shield, and primarily just use a Dragon's Long Sword +1 because with the fire damage it deals more than any other weapon I have.

If anyone has any good tips on what's worth upgrading, and why, I'd appreciate it. (Also need to figure out what to get so that I can get all the trophies, because I don't know what I need for them)

Thanks everyone!

The great thing about this game is that you can really play it through with any of the weapons and armors/shields. It only really gets tricky when you start crafting specialized upgrades that receive damage bonus from a particular stat.

when I finished for the first time, I had the standard long sword upgraded to full +10. I didn't even know about giving the flamelurker's soul to Ed until NG+ (I avoided the wiki until I beat it.)

psykomyko

I absolutely love this game. I played it before, at first hated the trial and error type gameplay, but decided to give it another go. It actually gets better the farther in, (I only got past the first boss when I first played) Its a really addictive game. I have beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3 so far. I beat 2-1 without dying once. Its probably really easy to do, (I'm not the most skilled gamer) but I was shocked I did that. Love this game!

boutrosinit said:
I love this game, save for the ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH lock-on camera and total lack of safety when you are near physical edges.

I never use the lock-on camera in melee myself. I find it restricts my movement and flexibility in combat too much and I just play alot better without it.

TuxBobble

oracrest said:
The great thing about this game is that you can really play it through with any of the weapons and armors/shields. It only really gets tricky when you start crafting specialized upgrades that receive damage bonus from a particular stat.

when I finished for the first time, I had the standard long sword upgraded to full +10. I didn't even know about giving the flamelurker's soul to Ed until NG+ (I avoided the wiki until I beat it.)

Haha, my first PARTIAL playthrough (I eventually restarted due to taking a too long break from the game) I had a +4 Long Sword going. I'm just looking for suggestions.

Also, in case I don't have as much time as I'd like with the game (long story) I'm trying to get all the requirements for the various trophies, while I'm at it.

Rawk Hawk

TuxBobble said:
Haha, my first PARTIAL playthrough (I eventually restarted due to taking a too long break from the game) I had a +4 Long Sword going. I'm just looking for suggestions.

Also, in case I don't have as much time as I'd like with the game (long story) I'm trying to get all the requirements for the various trophies, while I'm at it.
It's definitely different for each person, because generally speaking there doesn't seem to be too many "upgrades" in that no one weapon is better than another. The two I use for my PVE the most are Kilij (Quality) and Mirdan Hammer (Dragon), the hammer I normally two hand because I like the attack style of it and just dodge using rolls, the Kilij I normally one hand with a shield. I almost always have a Cresant weapon on me though in case I'm using a lot of magic, I can slowly regen it while advancing a little more through the level.

The Kilij is going to likely be put away once I completely my transformation from a STR/DEX build to a build for the Blueblood Sword. But if you have any of those, they are nice to try, note I believe the Halberd and Mirdan Hammer have the same attack set but difference of blunt/slashing damage, but maybe someone who knows for sure can verify.

gdt

Hah! Just blazed through 1-2, pretty easy. Died once, and that was only because I got invaded for the first time ever. Soul Arrow'd my way through the boss, like most (except for 5-1).

Now to get Warding. Seems useful enough.

Edit: Dammit, it takes up two slots. Can't lose my Soul Arrow...

TuxBobble said:

Wow, this descibes my experience with the game almost to a T. My soul level is 59, I have been using the black leather armor and the dragon long sword. I have also not used a single unique demon's soul or stone for the same reason as you. The only difference is that I have been using the Purple Flame Shield which I found very early on in the game.

I do this in a lot of games...I hoard money/items because I don't know when I might need them. In Demon's Souls it's especially bad though, because the game doesn't tell you anything. It's the most cryptic game I have played in years.

desverger

BaronLundi said:
First and easiest to get (even at low level) is the crescent weapon in 4.1. Go up the stairs (skeletons might be a bit hard, turpentine helps). Then go left in the arching building (mind the trap!). Then go left and try not to shit in your pants when you see the double wielding katana red skeleton.

Run to his right side and roll past him to get to the weapon. Mash X to pick it up and then fall down (doesn't really matter if you die granted you got the weapon).

Congrats ! Your life is now 10x times easier !

(Don't put any point in faith or luck for a mage character. Focus on Vit/End/Mag/Int and only level up Str end Dex if you need to wield a specific weapon)

Phew, finally managed to get that sucker last night. I used my leet rolling skills to get on the ledge above the skeleton, and then just whittled him down with soul arrow. The weapon is awesome though.

GODDAMN rolling skeletons though. Took me a while to get past them with the super slow cast animation :p

I assume the mana regen from the Crescent Falchion doesn't stack with Fragrant Ring?

I've also been working through 3-1. Is this the level to beat in order to rescue the mage to get access to new spells? Anyway, it's a creepy place! I had to equip the Thief's Ring since I was getting jumped by the tentacle heads, lol.

desverger said:
Phew, finally managed to get that sucker last night. I used my leet rolling skills to get on the ledge above the skeleton, and then just whittled him down with soul arrow. The weapon is awesome though.

GODDAMN rolling skeletons though. Took me a while to get past them with the super slow cast animation :p

I assume the mana regen from the Crescent Falchion doesn't stack with Fragrant Ring?

I've also been working through 3-1. Is this the level to beat in order to rescue the mage to get access to new spells? Anyway, it's a creepy place! I had to equip the Thief's Ring since I was getting jumped by the tentacle heads, lol.
Crescent Falchion does stack with Fragrant Ring. Crescent Falchion +1 and Crescent Falchion +1 doesn't stack since it provides the same mp regen, but Crescent Falchion +5 with Fragrant Ring and Phosphorescent Pole +5 stack. Anything that provides two of the same mp/hp or stamina regeneration won't stack.
3-1 is where you save Sage Freke once you get his cell key.

oracrest

desverger said:
Let me guess, you also had 5+ golden eggs and a rocket launcher at the end of RE4 :p

That game was much more liberal with the ammo.

I had a save at the end of RE2, 1/3 health bar, no herbs, a few acid rounds, and nothing but the final boss. Also, I couldn't go back into earlier areas and find more stuff from what I remember.

I didn't beat it.

Reilly

oracrest said:
That game was much more liberal with the ammo.

I had a save at the end of RE2, 1/3 health bar, no herbs, a few acid rounds, and nothing but the final boss. Also, I couldn't go back into earlier areas and find more stuff from what I remember.

I didn't beat it.

That game only takes about 3 hours to beat though...

gdt

Fuck you Flamelurker, fuck you.

He's beaten me three times, the last of which I got him down to 20% health. And then I have to trek my ass alllllllllllllll the way back to him.

gdt

My strategy for Flamelurker is Water Viel, then Soul Arrow for when he bounces back. If he charges, back up then attack with Crescent Falcon after he does.

Works well, but when his health goes down he starts spamming all of his flame bomb attack. Really rips me apart at the end.

Is it worth switching Water Veil for Poison Cloud?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I have fought flame lurker at regular level's and at level 9 (with weak armor) and I swear I don't understand how people have trouble with him. Everytime I used katana's which is not in any way shape or form the best way to hurt him. I didn't avoid his attacks in any special way and just brawled him to death with little trouble. In fact the only thing I did differently was wearing the ring of flame resistance. Red eyed knights give me way more trouble.

gdt

FootNinja said:
I have fought flame lurker at regular level's and at level 9 (with weak armor) and I swear I don't understand how people have trouble with him. Everytime I used katana's which is not in any way shape or form the best way to hurt him. I didn't avoid his attacks in any special way and just brawled him to death with little trouble.

He's not crazy hard (I can get him down to low health no problem), it's just his low health mode really fucks you up.

Edit: Gonna switch to Soul Ray instead of Soul Arrow.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
gdt5016 said:
He's not crazy hard (I can get him down to low health no problem), it's just his low health mode really fucks you up.

Edit: Gonna switch to Soul Ray instead of Soul Arrow.
You're using the ring of flame resistance, and have plenty of good grasses?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
gdt5016 said:
Nope. Ring of Regeneration and Ring of Magical Sharpness.

Edit: Yeah, plenty of grasses right now.
Pretty sure all of his attacks are flame, so that would give you the extra edge in defense to survive his attacks I would think.

oracrest

gdt5016 said:
I love my Adjicator's (sp) Shield, but I'll try this. Where can I get it?

It's below the dragon's perch, in 1-1. Try getting them to the near bridge, and then run back to the perch to grab all the loot before he returns.

oracrest

gdt5016 said:
Fuck you Flamelurker, fuck you.

He's beaten me three times, the last of which I got him down to 20% health. And then I have to trek my ass alllllllllllllll the way back to him.

You can utilize the shortcut to get to him. Lemme see if I can explain from memory...

from the archstone, head down the right miners tunnel, and go around to the right at the chasm, break through those boxes, and step down to the wooden floor. Turn around and walk against the wall to fall down one level. Then, fall off the end of this walkway (the end you'll be facing, genrally.) from there, you should see a cavern down below, drop down to it (crystal lizard!!). From this cave, go to the left corner dropoff. Step down (you should see an item on a guy hanging on a beam above you.) turn around, and walk slowly into the wall, barely inching to the ledge of the floor. You want to be facing the stone face as much as you can when you fall this time. You should fall a ways, and land on the very edge of another wood floor. Go forward, and do another careful fall facing the stone, and inch off the ledge. You will land on another wood floor. You should see some bearbug husks ahead on the wall, roll off and into them. You'll land on another cave outcropping. Turn around and drop off the ledge, bottom floor!!

If one could do the shortcut from this description, I'll be impressed with myself :)

Rawk Hawk

oracrest said:
You can utilize the shortcut to get to him. Lemme see if I can explain from memory...
[Snip]
If one could do the shortcut from this description, I'll be impressed with myself :)
I'm at him on NG+, not bad really, I can picture the entire journey from that.

I'd only add as more of a tip:

Not much of a spoiler, but in case someone didn't want to know anything about the shortcut: If you keep the camera looking down and brightness up a tad, you can normally see the ledges/wooden planks below. I'm not sure if there is only 1 way or if there are multiple ways of doing it, but just take it slow and keep looking down

Boken

Banned
I died twice in a row and lost 10k souls because I didnt want to go back to the nexus after defeating the boss of 1-1 and instead kept pushing through the zone. sadface. : (

oracrest

I finally fought against Black Phantom Satsuki last night. Man, what a pain in the ass he was. He killed me in one hit, and then he would do his quick dark moon grass everytime he got low in health. It took me about 8 to 10 times before I was able to rush him fast enough before he healed. But, that bumped up my Character Tendency enough to get the friend's ring, and subsequently the ring trophy.

All I have left is the trophy for all unique weapons, and the moonlight stone weapon, and then I am platinum, baby!

Do I have to engage the Selen Vinland quest for her BP to show up in black world tendency?

gdt

Upgraded my Crescent Falcon to +3. It's not too hard farming Darkmoonstones (shards at least) in 4-2. I'll probably go up to +4, then continue with 4-2, hopefully picking up more chunks.

oracrest

gdt5016 said:
Killed Patches, got the Theif's Ring.

Also beat the Maneaters...by myself. Like a Boss.

Congrats on beating Maneater. He was the toughest battle for me to get through the first time. I must have fought him 20 times at least. It took me a while to see that there is
an item on the side of the stairway in this arena

Every time I fight the Flamelurker I use the cheap strategy I discovered the first time. You have to run around the right side of the area, making sure he's following you, and then hide in the back right corner of the stairs and start shooting him with soul ray. He keeps on running into the wall instead of attacking.

gdt5016 said:
Killed Patches, got the Theif's Ring.

Also beat the Maneaters...by myself. Like a Boss.
You can also get a Thief's Ring in 1-1 if you drop down onto the ledge where Ostrava first appears. It's quite handy I must say.

gdt5016 said:
I love my Adjicator's (sp) Shield, but I'll try this. Where can I get it?
It's one of the items the two dragons are guarding in 1-1 off on the cliff.

TuxBobble

Ugh. So I didn't realize there was a part after Maneater. I missed the staircase the first time through (it was late and I just didn't notice it.) and this time around, I keep climbing the stairs and
the SAME jerk keeps black phantoming his way into my game as the boss...and he's got ridiculous equipment whereas I have garbage. The regular boss I could beat (AI) but people who are specced out for the sole purpose of kicking 3-3 ass? I've got no chance. I literally dealt so little damage he recovered it in 1-2 seconds...

Now I'm waving at him through the fog because I've got nothing better to do...

patsu

oracrest said:
I finally fought against Black Phantom Satsuki last night. Man, what a pain in the ass he was. He killed me in one hit, and then he would do his quick dark moon grass everytime he got low in health. It took me about 8 to 10 times before I was able to rush him fast enough before he healed. But, that bumped up my Character Tendency enough to get the friend's ring, and subsequently the ring trophy.

I beat Satsuki in 2 tries. To prevent him from eating Dark Moon grass, I lightened my load first (No armor !). He'd kill me with 1-2 hit anyway, so my armor doesn't really make a difference.

With the lightened load, I was faster than him. Once I scored a hit, I would stay close and keep slashing him until he dies. He wouldn't have time to heal. Just watch your own stamina so that you don't overdo the slashing.

Top Bottom