• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 3 Reportedly Cancelled

What is happening?!?!?!
Gaming industry is dying what is this
It is more like retracting. The pandemic is gone, gaming consumption went down by a whole lot after that. Plus, the live service landscape is so overcrowded that players aren't leaving their games to play new stuff with less content or inferior quality, that's why live service games are dropping like flies unless they are industry-defining or revolutionary.

There are things like sunk cost fallacy as well and limited from gamers. Companies fighting between themselves for your time would never work long-term. That's why a game like Genshin actually is fucking succesfull, they get you with the first few hours of steady progress and then when you hit the progress barriers or get up to date with content you just need to play a little to keep up. It helps that HoYo probably has the best content cadence in the industry currently, they have 4 games (Genshin, Honkai Impact 3rd, Honkai Star Rail, and ZZZ) all running at the same time while delivering new content every 45 days. It is nuts honestly since most of it is bug-free and run on most current platforms without any hitches.

S0ULZB0URNE

I am not comparing Destiny vs COD which still isn't even close

The comparison was Bungie vs Activision and I would take Acti portfolio over Bungie and not think twice
It's not close with a 1998 engine and such a low tickrate...

I wouldn't take the portfolio over Bungie and what Bungie will likely do as Sony.

crAptivision hasn't done anything significant in recent years and if we add the 'MS effect' one could expect things to get worse.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I wouldn't take the portfolio over Bungie and what Bungie will likely do.

crAptivision hasn't done anything significant in recent years and if we add the 'MS effect' one could expect things to get worse.
To each their own, Bungie looks to be circling the drain atm

Personally I would take the COD franchise alone over the entirety of Bungie but all comes down to preference

S0ULZB0URNE

To each their own, Bungie looks to be circling the drain atm

Personally I would take the COD franchise alone over the entirety of Bungie but all comes down to preference
Sony is just handling one of its divisions and this stuff happens all the time.
I trust the industry’s leader reorganization.

I personally don't enjoy playing a "competitive" multiplayer shooter with 120+fps to be capped at a paltry 15-25hz tickrate.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sony is just handling one of its divisions and this stuff happens all the time.
I trust the industry’s leader reorganization.

I personally don't enjoy playing a "competitive" multiplayer shooter with 120+fps to be capped at a paltry 15-25hz tickrate.
Didn't Bungie come out and say D2 ran at 30hz?

Edit - That is confirmed by a Bungie blog when the game launched so I don't know what its running at now

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member

I wouldn't take the portfolio over Bungie and what Bungie will likely do as Sony.

Destiny isn't a "competitive" multiplayer shooter on any level, even compared to COD. Muh tickrate muh 1998 is just pure comedy.

S0ULZB0URNE

Didn't Bungie come out and say D2 ran at 30hz?

Edit - That is confirmed by a Bungie blog when the game launched so I don't know what its running at now
30 for 30fps
It's 40 at any frame rate above 30.

40 isn't perfect but is not only better but double that of cod.
As a person who unfortunately played roughly every cod due to having a son It always felt terrible.

Edit: BF2042 is actually 45 according to this...

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Destiny isn't a "competitive" multiplayer shooter on any level, even compared to COD. Muh tickrate muh 1998 is just pure comedy.
Nothing more competitive than Destiny 2's trials.

It is a 1998 engine with a terrible tickrate.
VpuyEUz.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What new IP have we gotten yet from Bungie?

In terms of impact to their respective new parents, Activision has been exponentially more beneficial than Bungie.

Whats hard for you to understand? What new IP does ABK has in the work other then these boring CoD games?

Try again to understand.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Whats hard for you to understand? What new IP does ABK has in the work other then these boring CoD games?
You said Bungie brought new IPs

Acti recently announced a new studio Elsewhere working on an all new franchise

What new IPs does Bungie have that I am missing? (This is a legit question since you stated it)

Nothing more competitive than Destiny 2's trials.
You think D2 trials are more competitive than the high end COD competition?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

What new IPs does Bungie have that I am missing? (This is a legit question since you stated it)

Well. At least we get new IP’s from Bungie. You can’t say that from ABK.

Both of you have problems with reading so im not going to waste time here right now.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Both of you have problems with reading so im not going to waste time here right now.
My bad I read your statement of

Suggesting Bungie was bringing new IPs and ABK wasn't

Instead I showed you ABK was in fact working on a new IP and asked what Bungie's new IP was

Sorry We wasted YOUR time on your made up statement

Sorry Mistake GIF

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You made a broad proclamation about getting new IPs from Bungie, I asked which one.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

So you missed any news or something about the fact that they have several games in development? That alone is more then what ABK has done in the recent years, or should i say decades?

Are you stupid or something?

My bad I read your statement of

Suggesting Bungie was bringing new IPs and ABK wasn't

Instead I showed you ABK was in fact working on a new IP and asked what Bungie's new IP was

Sorry We wasted YOUR time on your made up statement

Sorry Mistake GIF

Marathon is new for the majority of the gamers. That scifi game was also in development internally at Bungie. It will now be at PS, but that alone is more new titles Bungie had in development then ABK.

ABK might be a big publisher but the console side, their portfolio is pretty poor outside CoD. Those other games aren’t that big or interesting. Without CoD, they are basically not much.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You think D2 trials are more competitive than the high end COD competition?
Are you alluding to cod being more skilled based/competitive because it's more commercially popular lol?

Automatically because of the tickrate differences Destiny 2 wins in this regard.

You can't have a serious competitive fps game with that tickrate.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Are you alluding to cod being more skilled based/competitive because it's more commercially popular lol?

Automatically because of the tickrate differences Destiny 2 wins in this regard.

You can't have a serious competitive fps game with that tickrate.
I don't know who is more skilled in D2 pros or COD pros

Wait does D2 even have a pro league?

I know I have played both and me personally D2 feels way more casual than COD ranked especially at high end

But again all personal preferences

S0ULZB0URNE

I know I have played both and me personally D2 feels way more casual than COD ranked especially at high end

Trials of Osiris event is usually every Friday to Monday and it's very competitive.

Casual is a super low tickrate.
Serious players want speed.

Let me add another highly competitive fps... Counter-Strike 2 is 64hz

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Marathon is new for the majority of the gamers. That scifi game was also in development internally at Bungie. It will now be at PS, but that alone is more new titles Bungie had in development then ABK.

ABK might be a big publisher but the console side, their portfolio is pretty poor outside CoD. Those other games aren’t that big or interesting. Without CoD, they are basically not much.
Marathon is not even close to being new so that sure doesnt count as a new IP and you just found out about this sci fi game what yesterday because people got fired?

I presented you with ABK new studio Elsewhere so seems like its pretty even on actual new IPs.

Muffdraul

Halo Infinite was supposed to be a 10 year project with multiple campaign DLCs and solid MP content support. Look how that turned out. I know it is a different studio, but my point is sadly plans change.
I don't disagree with a single thing you said there. My only point here is that "it can't be cancelled unless it was announced" is nonsense. A project can be cancelled whether it was announced or not.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Marathon is not even close to being new so that sure doesnt count as a new IP and you just found out about this sci fi game what yesterday because people got fired?

I presented you with ABK new studio Elsewhere so seems like its pretty even on actual new IPs.

Who cares how we found out about it? For a company the size of ABK, they are pretty lazy and shit in every way, when the majority of their studios are all doing the same for 1 iP.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That ain't how it works chief, lol.

Every annual Call of Duty is also a new IP for many.
I knew he was counting Marathon as a new IP then looked it up to prove his point and found out he was wrong then said he wasn't wasting anymore of his time yet keeps replying :)

Who cares how we found out about it? For a company the size of ABK, they are pretty lazy and shit in every way, when the majority of their studios are all doing the same for 1 iP.
K-Pop GIF

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
That ain't how it works chief, lol.

Every annual Call of Duty is also a new IP for many.

How many Marathon games have been released? Most gamers have not even played it, or lets say…don’t even know the IP. It was released for Mac back in 1994. Now tell me how many CoD games have been released?

So yes..Marathon will be seen for majority as a new game. You can’t say the same about another CoD game. Even people that never played CoD know the name. Ask these people about Marathon and i bet almost no one knows it.

clarky

Gold Member
How many Marathon games have been released? Most gamers have not even played it, or lets say…don’t even know the IP. It was released for Mac back in 1994. Now tell me how many CoD games have been released?

So yes..Marathon will be seen for majority as a new game. You can’t say the same about another CoD game. Even people that never played CoD know the name. Ask these people about Marathon and i bet almost no one knows it.
Every nerd on this forum has heard of Marathon. If Bungie didn't think it was a known IP they wouldn't have used the name.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I knew he was counting Marathon as a new IP then looked it up to prove his point and found out he was wrong then said he wasn't wasting anymore of his time yet keeps replying :)

K-Pop GIF

You knew nothing….

Maybe you should start reading correctly what people say.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You knew nothing….

Maybe you should start reading correctly what people say.
Nahh have read what you said, you were wrong and you try to turn it on others.

Try to chill out some and not be on the offensive all the time

And this statement you wanted to quote me

Is just wrong, false, fake, made up

I can read fine, maybe you should learn what new IPs mean

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member

Of course it doesn't. There's no competitive integrity to the buildcrafting or to the RNG loot. The best Trials players make their money off Twitch/YouTube carrying viewers to a Lighthouse visit, not by winning (nonexistent) tournaments.

The conceit of the mode is that you have to win 7 games in a row to make it to said Lighthouse, which at first glance seems akin to a tournament structure, but of course, no it's not even that, as you can be on your "Lighthouse game" and get matched against people playing their first game of the week, or people who are 0-12. They've tried all sorts of matchmaking shenanigans to try to make it work, but it just doesn't. The latest trick they're implementing is allowing you, if you queue in a full party of 3, to get the adept weapon of the week upon winning 7 games total (rather than in a row).

Every real competitive game understands that tracking a skill rating that settles you in a bracket where you're winning roughly 50% of the time is the way to do it. It gives the best quality of matches, and lets you progress your skills.

You can be on your final game and be matched up against people who are 0-10 and just trying to farm some base rewards or finish a challenge. Or even worse you can be solo queueing, be on your six wins, and get those players as teammates.

Claims of it being some kind of legit competitive mode are hilarious. If anything it's designed as a pub stomp mode, which is why it has such terrible player retention statistics.

Ironically enough Destiny has an explicit "Comp" mode which I haven't played enough to form much of an opinion of as far as matchmaking and competitive integrity beyond just noting that the fundamentals of Destiny multiplayer are anti-competitive.

You can prefer the experience of one or the other, sure. But I think claiming that Destiny is somehow more competitive than COD is something that can be quantified and debunked.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Nahh have read what you said, you were wrong and you try to turn it on others.

Try to chill out some and not be on the offensive all the time

And this statement you wanted to quote me

Is just wrong, false, fake, made up

I can read fine, maybe you should learn what new IPs mean

I did not. Because you really think everyone knows Marathon as they know CoD? I can tell you it’s not ask some random people and you get your answer.

The word “majority” says it all. Don’t talk shit right now like “learn what new IPs mean”. I know, you don’t have to tell me anything. But acting like Marathon is some well known IP? Nahh it’s not and for the majority of the gamers it’s new. Comparing that with CoD…lol ok if you say so.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I did not. Because you really think everyone knows Marathon as they know CoD? I can tell you it’s not ask some random people and you get your answer.

The word “majority” says it all. Don’t talk shit right now like “learn what new IPs mean”. I know, you don’t have to tell me anything. But acting like Marathon is some well known IP? Nahh it’s not and for the majority of the gamers it’s new. Comparing that with CoD…lol ok if you say so.
So your shift is from new IPs to well known.

Got it

Maybe you should learn some reading comprehension of your own words

Nice try though

200.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So your shift is from new IPs to well known.

Got it

Maybe you should learn some reading comprehension of your own words

Nice try though

200.gif
Well known compared to CoD. Because its not. All these casual CoD gamers see this a new IP since the IP is freaking old.

So for the “MAJORITY” this will be a new game. But hey…since you like to be right, congratulations on it then.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well known compared to CoD. Because its not. All these casual CoD gamers see this a new IP since the IP is freaking old.

So for the “MAJORITY” this will be a new game. But hey…since you like to be right, congratulations on it then.
You are the one who got all pissy with adamsapple adamsapple and I for just asking you to tell us what new IPs when you brought it up and now pissy you were proven wrong

No need to reply for reasons :)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You are the one who got all pissy with adamsapple adamsapple and I for just asking you to tell us what new IPs when you brought it up and now pissy you were proven wrong

No need to reply for reasons :)

What did you prove here? That ABK has a new studio? Then what? That still says nothing about the games Bungie had in development.

For over decades we haven’t seen much from ABK. This is not going to change it right away. So in the end…you didn’t prove shit here. And since you ignore the comments about Marathon. You know i’m right about that and that this IP will be new for a lot of people. Or should i say it again…majority?

You are the one who got all pissy with @adamsapple

I don’t give a fuck dude.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I can't believe that a bullshitter like Jason has such a following. So, if I understood correctly:

- Sony buys Bungie at an outrageous price because they have a successful GaaS with an established community and a pipeline for future content.

- 2 years after the acquisition, it's revealed that Bungie had no plans to continue the IP, the only reason for Sony to acquire them.

This is like buying Rockstar and then, announcing that GTA 5 would be their last GTA.

And that guy has a reputation, my lord. No wonder the Pentagon is talking openly about aliens.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can't believe that a bullshitter like Jason has such a following. So, if I understood correctly:

- Sony buys Bungie at an outrageous price because they have a successful GaaS with an established community and a pipeline for future content.

- 2 years after the acquisition, it's revealed that Bungie had no plans to continue the IP, the only reason for Sony to acquire them.

This is like buying Rockstar and then, announcing that GTA 5 would be their last GTA.

And that guy has a reputation, my lord. No wonder the Pentagon is talking openly about aliens.
Good point.

So if Destiny 3 was never on the roadmap, Sony spent $3.6B for Destiny 2 and Marathon? Makes no sense.

Top Bottom