• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 3 Reportedly Cancelled

JaksGhost

I can't believe that a bullshitter like Jason has such a following. So, if I understood correctly:

- Sony buys Bungie at an outrageous price because they have a successful GaaS with an established community and a pipeline for future content.

- 2 years after the acquisition, it's revealed that Bungie had no plans to continue the IP, the only reason for Sony to acquire them.

This is like buying Rockstar and then, announcing that GTA 5 would be their last GTA.

And that guy has a reputation, my lord. No wonder the Pentagon is talking openly about aliens.
It will be 8 years since the release of Destiny 2 by the time Marathon is supposed to take over the mantel as their main focus as their next big GaaS. Depending on how successful it was their next game would've been another 5-6 years out from there if they followed the same tracjectory. Bungie did have several other projects in various forms of development though like Gummie Bears and Matter. Sony took one of them to form a new SIE studio to ramp up production. The issue seems to be they grew too fast during COVID and couldn't deliver with the expansions before The Final Shape. Bungie went from 700-800 employees in 2021 to over 1300 by 2023 before the first cuts happened in October that year. The bubble bursting is beating everyone's ass.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The issue seems to be they grew too fast during COVID and couldn't deliver with the expansions before The Final Shape. Bungie went from 700-800 employees in 2021 to over 1300 by 2023 before the first cuts happened in October that year. The bubble bursting is beating everyone's ass.
And thats a problem a lot of tech companies had. Sales zoomed up during covid lockdown and many went ape shit hiring think covid golden goose sales will keep going forever.

Traditional companies making shit in factories didnt get caught. Thats why despite sales going back down, people probably didnt hear too many saying they are cutting 5% or 5,000 jobs due to too many factory jobs or too many 24 hour assembly lines being shut down. The companies just stuck out out and when society went back to normal, the employee count was already normalized.

There were exceptions. Peloton being the hall of fame posterboy of fad sales for a year. And then rock bottom sales after that year leading to the worst financial ever and literally a stoppage in manufacturing.

This...This was a terrible buy. I don't know what Sony was thinking but this was a bad buy imo and it's all buggered

Because fuckin Jim got greedy eyes over GaaS crap ...so Bungie kinda made sense (if your a Ceo bent on making that sweet sweet gaas money). This has fucked PS5 owners though who now are behind as all hell in two areas: single player big budget exclusives and Sony being the graphics king ...they've been surpassed this gen by Ubisoft for christ sakes

demonstr8

If Bungie aren't going to be working on Destiny going forward then what are 850 people going to be working on from now on? Surely not only Marathon - it doesn't make sense to me.

JaksGhost

If Bungie aren't going to be working on Destiny going forward then what are 850 people going to be working on from now on? Surely not only Marathon - it doesn't make sense to me.
That's the amount of staff it took to just run Destiny 2 throughout the years before they were acquired by PlayStation. They'll still have people developing content packs to close out their 10 year plan for D2. If Marathon is just as ambitious as the predecessor the number makes sense. Other projects are in various forms of development so a small portion may be dedicated to them too aside from the team being branched into the new studio. If they don't deliver I see it being shrunk again with PlayStation using the talent to incubate more IPs, create new studios, or just use them as new support teams.

Last edited:

SonGoku

I don't get it so are they making destiny 3 or not?
Seems like a incredibly wasteful investment on Sony part to buy this studio for 3 billion and not at least exploit destiny ip popularity with at least one more entry.

If their next big game (marathon?) isnt a resounding success all the people responsible for bungies acquisition should be held accountable

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
They have all this year mapped out and Frontiers D2 expansion next year. D2 isnt going anywhere it seems.

Solarstrike

I know I'm not alone in remembering the first time setting foot in Destiny 1. It was something special in gaming and it's not often that a game comes along as holds interest like Destiny does. After following the news of it's development for years, from articles to E3's, then to finally be able to play it? I'm sure we all can remember. Exploring the different worlds with friends, family, or just wandering around by yourself and discovering new areas. I've been playing the game(s) for years along with my brothers and even my mother who is in her 70's was playing both Destiny 1 and 2 for a bit on her XBox. Destiny's interesting characters and countless memorable moments to experience is what keeps players coming back. The level design is incredibly well done throughout and has some of the best environmental design(s) by far in an open world/mmo game. The music and audio production is incredible from past to present. But the important thing about Destiny is that it's fun and entertaining. Well, most of the time at least. It can be frustrating trying to figure out puzzles or quests. That is where the Community shines. There's always a YouTube video of someone explaining how to do this or that or the best gear builds to have so you don't get your ass handed to you in PVP or Dungeons.

Destiny 1 and 2 are one long journey and we're all on the same ship. That ship is refueling now, probably getting some upgrades here and there as well as optimizations. All our ghosts need if I can say, is a bit of patience and spark. As factions from Vex to Cabal, Hive to Scorn, Taken, and the Fallen reorganize after the defeat of the Witness, so do the creators. Things have to move around and reshape otherwise they become stagnant, decay, fade. Destiny doesn't deserve to fade nor it's light be extinguished.

HvNrYx1.jpeg

Last edited:

Salz01

Is there a good video that explains all,the blunders and drama about the Destiny franchise? I swear it seemed to start good. To sure what happened.

clarky

Gold Member
I know I'm not alone in remembering the first time setting foot in Destiny 1. It was something special in gaming and it's not often that a game comes along as holds interest like Destiny does. After following the news of it's development for years, from articles to E3's, then to finally be able to play it? I'm sure we all can remember. Exploring the different worlds with friends, family, or just wandering around by yourself and discovering new areas. I've been playing the game(s) for years along with my brothers and even my mother who is in her 70's was playing both Destiny 1 and 2 for a bit on her XBox. Destiny's interesting characters and countless memorable moments to experience is what keeps players coming back. The level design is incredibly well done throughout and has some of the best environmental design(s) by far in an open world/mmo game. The music and audio production is incredible from past to present. But the important thing about Destiny is that it's fun and entertaining. Well, most of the time at least. It can be frustrating trying to figure out puzzles or quests. That is where the Community shines. There's always a YouTube video of someone explaining how to do this or that or the best gear builds to have so you don't get your ass handed to you in PVP or Dungeons.

Destiny 1 and 2 are one long journey and we're all on the same ship. That ship is refueling now, probably getting some upgrades here and there as well as optimizations. All our ghosts need if I can say, is a bit of patience and spark. As factions from Vex to Cabal, Hive to Scorn, Taken, and the Fallen reorganize after the defeat of the Witness, so do the creators. Things have to move around and reshape otherwise they become stagnant, decay, fade. Destiny doesn't deserve to fade nor it's light be extinguished.
Sounds like you didn't get fired from Bungie today, congrats.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Is there a good video that explains all,the blunders and drama about the Destiny franchise? I swear it seemed to start good. To sure what happened.
What blunders and Dramas? They had a few shitty expansions and some good ones just like any GAAS and a crap launch and recovery for both titles, again like most GAAS.

Destiny has been a highly successful and beloved franchise for many years for a lot of folks.

chessy_08

Not for one second do i think D3 isnt still in development. Why would sony buy a studio to basically do just content updates and "marathon".
Sony bought them knowing in the long term they would be a good return on investment.

clarky

Gold Member
Was going to get to bed butI'll burn a few calories in typing and ask you, since you are so concerned about the welfare of Bungie employees whether currently or former, what things have you done to help them during this difficult time? Better yet, how much money have you spent in Eververse which ultimately supported Bungie employees? Or maybe the many charities they helped? Also, the "fired" employees will be just fine. Jeeesh, give them some credit and confidence. :/
People get laid off every day i have bigger things to worry about than other peoples jobs 5000k miles away, im sure they will be fine, I work contracting and find myself out of work multiple times a year yet you wont find me on Twitter moaning about it.

FWIW:
I spend a bit in Eververse over the years, Bought D1 every expansion D2 every expansion and season pass. Ok for you?

I don't need to support Bungie employees as they got paid for their work. I don't believe in charities either, I prefer to help people in need directly myself so i know my efforts or $ are going to those who need it.

Credit and confidence ? Give me a break.

Edit , nice edit lol.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

People get laid off every day i have bigger things to worry about than other peoples jobs 5000k miles away, im sure they will be fine, I work contracting and find myself out of work multiple times a year yet you wont find me on Twitter moaning about it.

FWIW:
I spend a bit in Eververse over the years, Bought D1 every expansion D2 every expansion and season pass. Ok for you?

I don't need to support Bungie employees as they got paid for their work. I don't believe in charities I prefer to help people in need directly myself so i know my efforts or $ are going to those who need it.

Credit and confidence ? Give me a break

Way over your head dude. You are on a whole different planet and I wish you well. You're attitude is negative af! You're a Cabal probably!

Destiny 2 Strand GIF by DestinyTheGame

Last edited:
Not for one second do i think D3 isnt still in development. Why would sony buy a studio to basically do just content updates and "marathon".
Sony bought them knowing in the long term they would be a good return on investment.

As per recent leaked tweets, seems SONy might of been bamboozled and Bungie oversold their output and plans which makes sense, of course you want to put icing on the cake on your product before you sell. SONY read the room too late when people are already getting sick of GAAS and all bungie has in them is 2 GAAS games.

Way over your head dude. You are on a whole different planet and I wish you well.
No, you are just being a Karen for no reason, pretending to care. clarky clarky is right...you couldnt care less about someone on another continent losing their job when literally people across the street of my apartment are closing down their business and laying off their staff. I dont see them on twitter or asking for gofundme tips. People here seem to think only the gaming industry has layoffs. Literally go into any store in your town and ask how many people they fired this year. Its been a 2 years of financial blunder and the way businesses stay afloat is by reducing the size of their staff and cost cutting. Business 101.

Last edited:

Dutchy

I find it geniunely surprising that Destiny is appearantly so unsustainable as a franchise. It's got crazy good player retention even at times when the game was presumed dead. What could it possibly be if not bad spending by the leadership etc. ? I do recall Destiny 1 having a lot of engine issues. Like it would take hours for simple sandbox changes to go into effect for developper inspection or something, making it a hell to make new content for.

gatti-man

D3 is still going to happen. Don’t believe this for a second. What I do believe is there was a change made. Maybe Sony took over and told them to reboot it or the team changed/schedule changed but destiny is a HUGE IP that does big numbers. No way Sony kills it.

Hairsplash

i loved destiny,(the only shooter that i felt was good at) have both of the destiny special edition ps4’s… but it turned it a nightmare “pay to play” mess with egregiously, expensive seasons, and stupidly expensive digital tchotchkes…

sometimes people just want to kill time doing something enjoyable before going sleep, then doing the job grind daily…
like Overwatch was in the hayday… play the game, win half, did not matter your skill, it was adjusted. so an enjoyable time kill… (i am not i good shooter, so i played Mercy, and when they f’d up mercy… gone.)

jcorb

Well, a company laying off potentially upwards of 25% of its workforce is certainly not an indication that things are going *great*.

The shame is, while "Destiny 2" was wildly unnecessary for the franchise at the time, I actually think "Destiny 3" is probably much more enticing. They're pretty much wrapped up all of the story and intrigue laid out by the first Destiny, and specifically in The Final Shape, it seems quite clear that Bungie is flirting with the notion of abandoning the concept of "classes", as evidenced by many of the new systems and exotics they've introduced.

The idea of having a whole new start, where instead of playing three different flavors of human, makes much more sense if Bungie had plans to either eliminate those divides (playing a single, highly-customizable character), or even having "classes" by way of playing different alien races, like the Eliksni.

Time will tell, but I have to admit, things certainly don't seem terribly optimistic for Bungie right now. It's clear that Sony is asserting control over the company, and that hasn't typically led to a lot of good products.

Top Bottom