• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 3 Reportedly Cancelled

Shubh_C63

No incentives to stop & start the money printing machine just because.
If someone has been following Destiny 2, I don't think people were in any hopes we will see a Destiny 3 ever.

The game engine still runs smooth, already have a large player base, looks beautiful, and Witch Queen / The Final Shape shows they can still pull a lot of miracle on that.
Resetting things back to Zero when they're not even able to get all D1/D2 players on board is extremely high risk.

Destiny 2 will be alive for a looong ass time. GaaS even when new things and IP has come out from Bungie.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Bungie: "We want Destiny 3!"

Sony: "We have Destiny 3 at home."

Destiny 3 at home:
WLPxw0U.jpeg

Sentenza

Can't honestly say I give a shit about Destiny, but then again whatever they come up with next is probably going to be a minor variation of the same crap, so no particular reason to celebrate either.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

I didn't mean bungie cancelled it, I meant they were giving feedback etc.

And sony cancelled despite bungies feedback, I wasn't 100% sure if it was confirmed if bungie were consulting on the game or not.

Sorry for the confusion :p
Naughty Dog cancelled because they would’ve had to sustain a GaaS while everything else would be put on the back burner. You want a GaaS or single player experiences? They had over 400 more employees yet all Bungie could do was develop content to keep Destiny 2 alive.

//DEVIL//

Destiny was the game to play. Destiny 2 is just shit . and it sucks because vanilla destiny 2 was fine. then it went to shit right after that.

Dynasty8

What was Bungie's feedback on Concord?

Not sure, but it is made by a lot of ex Bungie devs, which MIGHT have had a hand in getting green lit.

I still think Destiny has the best gunplay, movement and raid/dungeon mechanics I've ever experienced in a game, but the company is in dire need of restructuring. Goes for C Suite leadership and a lot of the DEI hires post covid.

anthony2690

Naughty Dog cancelled because they would’ve had to sustain a GaaS while everything else would be put on the back burner. You want a GaaS or single player experiences? They had over 400 more employees yet all Bungie could do was develop content to keep Destiny 2 alive.
Ah okay, surprised they didn't just release it tbh, make it not gaas, and give it to people that purchased tlou2 or a standalone purchase for those that didn't.

The original factions wasn't gaas and was well received, I remember my brother played it for quite a while and really enjoyed it a lot.

And I'm sure they could've done a few cosmetic mtx like the original factions on tlou.

This is probably a good thing. Millions of gamers can break out of the loop of the hamster wheel daily grind for years and years, and finally start playing other games!

MiguelItUp

Probably a good call to make. But I don't know if I believe them just killing off the IP with all the attention they've been giving it. At the same time, I'm not sure if going all in on Marathon is a great idea either. It's hard to tell until we actually see it in motion.

sono

The praise for destiny 2 in this thread I must have downloaded the wrong version. I enjoyed 1 but stopped after D2 took all my grinded assets.

Bry0

Purchases Studio/IP just to kill said IP off 3 years later?

Yea, I'm not buying it (yet).
I don’t think there is any intent to kill the ip. They seem to actually think if they can lower the content production cost they can just keep adding to d2 in perpetuity. They seemed to hint to this being the plan for awhile but it just seems at odds with what a lot of the player base has been asking for.

Muffdraul

How do you know Destiny 3 existed?
It was about 10 years that Bungie's Destiny roadmap became publicly known. Multiple sequels and multiple DLC expansions for each one.

But if you want to get all technical and anal about it, it doesn't matter what I know. Whether I or you or anyone else outside the company knows about has no bearing on an existing project being canceled.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

It was about 10 years that Bungie's Destiny roadmap became publicly known. Multiple sequels and multiple DLC expansions for each one.

But if you want to get all technical and anal about it, it doesn't matter what I know. Whether I or you or anyone else outside the company knows about has no bearing on an existing project being canceled.
Halo Infinite was supposed to be a 10 year project with multiple campaign DLCs and solid MP content support. Look how that turned out. I know it is a different studio, but my point is sadly plans change.

Nydius

I don’t necessarily think they need a Destiny 3. What they need to do is completely retool Destiny 2 so it’s not such a confusing, bloated, mess. Find some way to bring back all of the “vaulted” content but do it in such a way that it tells a coherent story.

They’ve got so much content they could make an amazing progression path with a decent story of the rise and fall of the Guardians’ Light but they’re too laser focused on getting everyone into the latest content as fast as possible, which has turned the game into a mess.

Bond007

People can hate on it but Destiny 1-2 have been great games. Sure some sup ups and downs with mind boggling choices and grindy insult to gamers at times- but the product is good and the gameplay even better.
I dont wish failure on any group and especially not Destiny the franchise.

Gaas gets alot of hate rightfully so- as everyone tries to do it- BUT Destiny did it right and obviously still has a good following clearly. So im hoping this isnt the case- I feel Destiny 3 should have been out early in the PS5 cycle.

Bry0

I don’t necessarily think they need a Destiny 3. What they need to do is completely retool Destiny 2 so it’s not such a confusing, bloated, mess. Find some way to bring back all of the “vaulted” content but do it in such a way that it tells a coherent story.

They’ve got so much content they could make an amazing progression path with a decent story of the rise and fall of the Guardians’ Light but they’re too laser focused on getting everyone into the latest content as fast as possible, which has turned the game into a mess.
I think technical hurdles is why all this happened in the first place. 3 would give them a chance to start fresh on a new technical base. I’m not sure retooling 2 is even feasible or cost effective in comparison.

clarky

Gold Member

You are on about a non public roadmap from ten years ago? that stuff got scrapped a very long time ago. D3 looks like it never existed, except on paper.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Gold Member
What is happening?!?!?!
Gaming industry is dying what is this
I don't think it's dying. The market had a huge bubble in 2020 and it's now stabilizing. Also, gaming is now being treated like equities and no longer a digital media/art form, so that will also change how studios operate. You're seeing the bubble starting to deflate, Investment/shareholder expectations/strategies are governing decisions and not making what we see as a good game. There was mass hiring and project expenditure due to SBA-backed Covid relief loans. That's all dried up, and studios are downsizing, and re-aligning projects to match GaaS products to chase the next Fortnite (most popular micro-transaction/battle pass) system. Streaming has pretty much changed the game industry and is mostly here to stay.

rm082e

Good. Destiny got boring after a few years.

They had some talented people at one time. Hopefully there's still a group there that can make something new and interesting.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good. Worst franchise ever. Suck a dick.

Go back and make real games with actual level design, storytelling, and decent progression systems.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Ah okay, surprised they didn't just release it tbh, make it not gaas, and give it to people that purchased tlou2 or a standalone purchase for those that didn't.

The original factions wasn't gaas and was well received, I remember my brother played it for quite a while and really enjoyed it a lot.

And I'm sure they could've done a few cosmetic mtx like the original factions on tlou.
They can't just release something that doesn't exist. And you can't exactly de-gaas-ify a game designed from the ground up to be a live service.

S0ULZB0URNE

Destiny 3 isn't happening because Destiny is losing the numbers next to it with Frontier which will also bring back D1 content.

anthony2690

They can't just release something that doesn't exist. And you can't exactly de-gaas-ify a game designed from the ground up to be a live service.
I was under the impression it was really far along? I guess not then, and I just find most gaas titles feel like normal multiplayer experiences but with a price tag for everything that was probably an unlock before and drip fed content that has probably been sitting there completed for ages :p

Oh and a battle pass, that usually feels like a chore to complete XD

Top Bottom