• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rflagg

Well GAF, I found out yesterday my company is shutting down. Waiting on the official call to get details, but the good news is that I'll have all the time in the world to play Destiny next week! Gotta look on the bright side of things!

Good luck finding new work.
On a more destiny note pre-ordering the digital guardian edition today I need that asap access.

Hupsel

Argh still dont know which class to choose.... love the warlock ultimate and the grenade is at least different, but Im not a fan of his special jump. Hunters, on the other hand, have triple jump but I dont like the golden gun ulti... I know they get another one later but I also dont know if Im going to enjoy that. And something tells me there are going to be a lot of hunters running around. Maybe Ill just go Titan then
smile.gif

VanWinkle

So is it confirmed that Old Russia is the only playable location on Earth? If so, that's just so disappointing, knowing the massive variety on this planet they could have dug into.

Also, another question. In the expansion packs, will we be getting new playable areas, or will it all take place in the areas we will have already been playing?

NAPK1NS

So is it confirmed that Old Russia is the only playable location on Earth? If so, that's just so disappointing, knowing the massive variety on this planet they could have dug into.

Also, another question. In the expansion packs, will we be getting new playable areas, or will it all take place in the areas we will have already been playing?
New areas. And you'll be revisiting old areas with access to new sections therein. Keeps all game spaces populated.

And yep it's one area per planet. Honestly, my prediction is you can blaze through the so-called "main story" in six hours. Mark my words! :(

One area per planet. I honestly expect it's largely due to old gen holding them back, specifically stuff like the 360 with small disc sizes.

Destiny 2 being entirely on next gen should give us more areas to explore I have no doubt in my mind.

NAPK1NS

One area per planet. I honestly expect it's largely due to old gen holding them back, specifically stuff like the 360 with small disc sizes.

Destiny 2 being entirely on next gen should give us more areas to explore I have no doubt in my mind.
That's absolutely not the reason. They probably had to develop a game with a lot of firsts and do so on four different platforms all in a three year window.

Edit: and need to temper the amount of content in the base game since expansions are a driving force for longevity.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm trying to decide between Voidwalker and Defender. I really loved Siren/Lilith in the BL games, so I'm leaning Voidwalker. Zero interest in Sunsinger and Striker...

Kalamari

New areas. And you'll be revisiting old areas with access to new sections therein. Keeps all game spaces populated.

And yep it's one area per planet. Honestly, my prediction is you can blaze through the so-called "main story" in six hours. Mark my words! :(

I have a feeling the story mode missions will go quick too. Getting to level 20 will be pretty easy I think, but the grind for level 30 gear will take far more time.

DesertFox

Question about lore: how is there not any documents of what happened during the Golden Age? Did it all happen over night? How did they not know they were being attacked. Did people just die?

/confused
Bungie has a tendency to leave the backstory of their games shrouded in mystery. Halo was the same way, the Forerunners were never really explained. That is until 343 took over and decided to flesh them out in (imho) the worst way. Also, their explanation for the flood originating as intergalactic catnip was just.... smh.

Anyway, Destiny! 5 6 days!

Edit: counting is hard.

That's absolutely not the reason. They probably had to develop a game with a lot of firsts and do so on four different platforms all in a three year window.

Edit: and need to temper the amount of content in the base game since expansions are a driving force for longevity.
You say absolutely not the reason but we have no proof it isn't either and go on to speculate what the reason could be how are you so sure? Graphics are one thing that theoretically are being held back on having to work on multiple consoles, including old gen, who is to say more map content isn't one of these reasons?

They never said it wasn't aliens. So aliens.

Edit: if it isn't obvious I'm fucking around and you're probably right.

LordofPwn

Is this first time through or after you hit level 29/30? First time through it'll take you some time. i know after awhile the earth story missions took me 5-10 minutes to complete, but first time through it's going to be 15-30 each. you'll also get side tracked, need to visit the cryptarch, gather some resources, equip and buy gear. go to orbit, etc. I say 12-15 hours first playthrough.

I have a feeling the story mode missions will go quick too. Getting to level 20 will be pretty easy I think, but the grind for level 30 gear will take far more time.

Not sure where, but I read that they are thinking about 20hrs to get to level 20.

Edit: Okay I cant find it now but I swear they said it somewhere, (wishful thinking ftl)

BokehKing

Banned

Yeah, but the game is about going out and exploring the universe not just earth, lets fight back the darkness and give the rest of Earth some time to rebuild before we go exploring

I mean when you think about it, if we knew more about venus, people would be like "oh man we are only exploring the jungles of venus, there is so much more, why can't we explore the beaches of venus, or the mountains of venus, pre order canceled"

No one knows for sure, I wouldn't mind new playable area's, and not just "oh look now you can go to chicago"

Trace

Banned
The decision of leveling hunter or titan first is tough, since my fireteam already has a titan and a warlock but I prefer titan... Decisions...

Looking through this thread, I can't believe this isn't a big deal for some.

Likely because most of us have known this for a while. The way the game is designed isn't necessarily conducive for split screen gameplay. Say one player wants to do pve and the other pvp, good luck getting a console to support that. An extreme example, but you get the point.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Okay, this is gonna be the last time I go to any Destiny thread other than the OT. That thread was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. And since some people in GamingGAF are too stubborn, I decided to leave so I don't get anymore blood pressure.

Basically, I'm done with browsing other Destiny's threads.

Seriously though, 6 days remaining. The wait is gonna be almost over for now.

Sorry for ranting. Just wanted to vent myself out

VanWinkle

It's just going to be disappointing that there are only four environment varieties. Even most games that take place on one planet have more variety than that. I was expecting more, out of the language of taking place on the planets of our solar system (to me suggesting huge scope), when it's really just four total playable areas. Maybe that's my own fault.

Also disappointing that PvP seems [more] like an afterthought, with it being fairly barebones feature-wise. It's basically just, you have some of these modes here, and you play it. No theater system, no ranking system, no Forge type feature, no custom games, etc. It's hard for me to see this becoming a competitive game like Halo, which is a shame since the gunplay and traversal is fantastic.

Sorry for ranting a bit. I'm still excited for the game but I feel like I'm going to be let down. Anyway, on with the hype!

I mean when you think about it, if we knew more about venus, people would be like "oh man we are only exploring the jungles of venus, there is so much more, why can't we explore the beaches of venus, or the mountains of venus, pre order canceled"

No one knows for sure, I wouldn't mind new playable area's, and not just "oh look now you can go to chicago"

I see what you mean there, but I would say that since the other planets/moon are foreign, it leaves more up to Bungie's creativity, and we can just take it for what it is. We can't appreciate the variety (or lack thereof) of the planets/moon outside of our own, so it's not a huge deal. But with Earth, we know the massive variety, so it's a shame that the whole planet has been relegated into one snowy Russian wasteland.

Mr.Fresh

Are we still gonna be able to buy the digital guardian edition after Tuesday? I was late to preorder the PS4 Limited edition and I want the extras. But the guy at my gamestop said sometimes they get extras and he'll hold it for me. But if not I'm just gonna buy PSN cards.

Kane1345

Okay, this is gonna be the last time I go to any Destiny thread other than the OT. That thread was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. And since some people in GamingGAF are too stubborn, I decided to leave so I don't get anymore blood pressure.

Probably a good idea mate, keep that blood pressure down. Come and be among friends

Are we still gonna be able to buy the digital guardian edition after Tuesday? I was late to preorder the PS4 Limited edition and I want the extras. But the guy at my gamestop said sometimes they get extras and he'll hold it for me. But if not I'm just gonna buy PSN cards.

Yeah, it'll still be there. Not sure if you'll get the pre-order bonuses, though.

Marvel

could never
No need to apologize VanWinkle, everyone should be able talk about their concerns. You did so in a rational manner that actually had some thought put into it.

Why are you getting so stressed over what others think? Everybody will have an opinion they are most likely the minority let them think what they want. Remember the whole argument that loyalty and knights for companies are pointless because most see you as a sales figure? That applies here. Bungie has amazing people but ultimately they are a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom