• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rflagg

Looking through this thread, I can't believe this isn't a big deal for some.

Since my wife does not play video games and most of my friends moved away I wouldn't use it anyways. At least my wife is fine with me playing and buying whatever video games I want.

Respect

I pretty much got a PS4 primarily for this, but I'm going in fairly blind and it's exciting. Didn't play any beta, haven't done a whole lot of innernet research or whatever. I guess I'll make a warlock because space magic?

Don't go in expecting a Biotic from ME.
If that is what you are thinking.

It's not over yet :(

Clearly Karl already has a copy and is getting started without out us...spill it man!!

So is it confirmed that Old Russia is the only playable location on Earth? If so, that's just so disappointing, knowing the massive variety on this planet they could have dug into.

Also, another question. In the expansion packs, will we be getting new playable areas, or will it all take place in the areas we will have already been playing?

There will undoubtedly be new areas added to the game.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Why are you getting so stressed over what others think? Everybody will have an opinion they are most likely the minority let them think what they want. Remember the whole argument that loyalty and knights for companies are pointless because most see you as a sales figure? That applies here. Bungie has amazing people but ultimately they are a business.

Frankly, Destiny gets a lot of scrutiny from most gaffers just like Watch_Dogs and Titanfall did. I don't know how the game even pissed them off.

Don't go in expecting a Biotic from ME.
If that is what you are thinking.

Clearly Karl already has a copy and is getting started without out us...spill it man!!

No. I do not have one, sadly. ;(

Activision should think bigger and do this in LA:

RebKllJ.jpg

Kane1345

I'm really hoping that scout rifles are much more viable in PVP than before and that the AR nerf is good enough that all weapons are balanced

Blizzard actually has some of the best artists in the industry.

Sucks that you don't have the capacity to appreciate it :p

I think it's different for everyone. I can appreciate the aesthetic, but Destiny is much more in line with my preferences. The contemporary graphic design plus the Forza-levels of detail you can view your gear with elevates it far beyond the finished product of Diablo III for me.

Blizzard's art teams are obviously phenomenal, just look at that DIII cut scenes and/or every single Hearthstone card. But Destiny is on another level for me. Mixing up WipEout style type and logo work with McQuarrire style designs is not just more to my liking, but unprecedented in the medium of games.

Mass Effect tried it, but fell way short. Destiny is something truly incredible, art-wise. No slight to Diablo III but nothing can stand up to Bungie's work here. Maybe if The Designers Republic™ had stayed on WipEout into HD gens, but they didn't, and so we're left with Destiny:

The pinnacle of graphic design in gaming.

I don't know that one could argue with that.

Frankly, Destiny gets a lot of scrutiny from most gaffers just like Watch_Dogs and Titanfall did. I don't know how the game even pissed them off

GAF is largely known to be negative Nathans now. This shouldn't bother you. Dark Souls 2 got a lot of flak as some pretended it was the worst game ever. I can see why some folks could be uninterested in the game. Most threads outside of the OTs will be filled with people who have complaints about the game. If you don't want to see that it's better if you stick around here as you decided.

Karl Hawk

Banned
GAF is largely known to be negative Nathans now. This shouldn't bother you. Dark Souls 2 got a lot of flak as some pretended it was the worst game ever. I can see why some folks could be uninterested in the game. Most threads outside of the OTs will be filled with people who have complaints about the game. If you don't want to see that it's better if you stick around here as you decided.

Yeah, I guess you're right. At this point, what's the use of complaining about negativity?

Grewitch

I quit my job today so I have time to put in for Destiny next week. Sucks but oh well.

You did the right thing. Your brain knew what needed to be done, your heart just needs to catch up.

Confirmed, DAX canceled her pre-order and has abandoned the Destiny GAF community.

I knew it! She was a spy all along. For whom and for why I do not know. Probably the Dress Coalition. There's a conspiracy here somewhere. The lack of evidence proves it!

todd360

What is this game anyways? Pls explain admiral puppy. I have played the alpha and beta and I still don't understand what this game is.
that threads existence is hilarious

HunRevan

I'm really hoping that scout rifles are much more viable in PVP than before and that the AR nerf is good enough that all weapons are balanced

I think the scout rifle did pretty decent in the PVP. I used mainly them in the beta and never felt in a disadvantage.
At least with my gamestyle. The pulse rifle needs some buff though. That recoil was too hard to control even in mid range.

GAF's been weird for me lately, lots of vitriol all around, especially in games that get a lot of attention (DriveClub, The Order 1886, Destiny, etc). I guess the more popular the game is, the more hate it'll receive. Doesn't bother me, however.

I asked this once before and didn't get any feedback so I wanted to ask again...Is the Destiny issue of Newsweek worth picking up or is it just a collection or stuff we already know?
Fast thread moves fast. I responded to someone else earlier:

I thought it was a good high level look at the game. The articles were well written, lots of quotes from people involved with the game, and really good write-ups on the weapons, enemies, locales, and classes. Maybe not worth it at $10.99, when that money could be better put towards the strategy guide.

Yeah, I guess you're right. At this point, what's the use of complaining about negativity?
Some people have gotten banned for shitting on games before I believe. There was one guy who couldn't see a Thief thread without going in and telling everybody how shit it is and saying that whoever plays it is objectively wrong.

That hasn't happened with Destiny. Most people who seem to be talking about it negatively simply haven't been able to get hyped.

Kane1345

I think the scout rifle did pretty decent in the PVP. I used mainly them in the beta and never felt in a disadvantage.
At least with my gamestyle. The pulse rifle needs some buff though. That recoil was too hard to control even in mid range.

I guess I never stuck with them long enough then. Decided to go AR since AR was king in beta. Anyway we'll see what the situation is at launch

I know I want make like a cool reedy dude Warlock but I also want to make a badass lady Titan. Mebbe like "Bree-Anne" (lol gettit)

can you name a guardian?

I just need to know the game's length and amount of content and then yes I'll be very very hyped.

This isn't a game where length should matter, IMO. I don't think people would just play it for the story, it's a loot-based game where you're supposed to grind for better gear to use for raids and strikes. Also, PVP if you're into that.

I think it's different for everyone. I can appreciate the aesthetic, but Destiny is much more in line with my preferences. The contemporary graphic design plus the Forza-levels of detail you can view your gear with elevates it far beyond the finished product of Diablo III for me.

Blizzard's art teams are obviously phenomenal, just look at that DIII cut scenes and/or every single Hearthstone card. But Destiny is on another level for me. Mixing up WipEout style type and logo work with McQuarrire style designs is not just more to my liking, but unprecedented in the medium of games.

Mass Effect tried it, but fell way short. Destiny is something truly incredible, art-wise. No slight to Diablo III but nothing can stand up to Bungie's work here. Maybe if The Designers Republic™ had stayed on WipEout into HD gens, but they didn't, and so we're left with Destiny:

The pinnacle of graphic design in gaming.

I don't know that one could argue with that.
I too appreciate the McQuarrie elements in Destiny. They're also present in No Man's Sky :)

Vire

I know I want make like a cool reedy dude Warlock but I also want to make a badass lady Titan. Mebbe like "Bree-Anne" (lol gettit)

can you name a guardian?

In the beta/alpha you could not name the guardian unfortunately. I had the dumbest names ready too!

robo

still no info on what the card codes gave us?

I can see lots of pop ups when the game first starts.

"congrats you have unlocked 1 of 17 codes, here have another emblem"

10 minutes later still pressing x to clear the pages!!

the susspense is getting out of hand now :(

Respect

Frankly, Destiny gets a lot of scrutiny from most gaffers just like Watch_Dogs and Titanfall did. I don't know how the game even pissed them off.

I think it just comes with the idea that it is generally "cool" to bash things that are popular.

This game is not perfect and it will in no way appeal to all, no game ever will. There are legitimate concerns people have for this game, I get it. Most can offer these differing view points in a reasonable manner. There are certainly games praised almost universally on GAF that I didn't like at all, I have my reasons and have let them be know. Though, I'm not going to go out of my though to piss people off who love the game.

But there are always folks, in any hobby/recreational activity that enjoy being the antagonist and enjoy getting a rise out of those who support/defend the popular view point. Anonymity just gives rise to this even more.

Lee

still no info on what the card codes gave us?

I can see lots of pop ups when the game first starts.

"congrats you have unlocked 1 of 17 codes, here have another emblem"

10 minutes later still pressing x to clear the pages!!

the suspense is getting out of hand now :(

My money is they contribute to our grimoire progress, and nothing more. Who knows though. It could be cool to log in and find 17 Special Orders waiting for us.

NAPK1NS

Blizzard actually has some of the best artists in the industry.

Sucks that you don't have the capacity to appreciate it :p
Yeah that comment was a weird one. Through the tumultuous life of Diablo III, it's art has always been a prevailing success.

On Destiny concerns: I'm prepared for disappointment. I believe part of this game's business strategy is content carroting. Give the player a ton of base game content and they aren't compelled to throw 60% of the original cost at expansion packs. Give them just enough and they'll be salivating for more to do.

The game looks bare bones to me. The multiplayer, a potential endgame, has yet to prove itself beyond a fun extra. Map selection? Vetoes? Custom games? I don't think any of this exists. I understand Destiny is a primarily PvE game, but 2000 hours of Halo multiplayer later, I'm allowed to mope a little bit.

(I'm still getting the bundle, so don't think I'm trolling) I'm basically needing to move away from the idea that this will be the homerun that Halo 3 was. Just in terms of longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom