• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT| Home of Frabjous Guardians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask as GAF newbie.

How dangerous GAF threads are for getting spoiled around release or do people in GAF actually use tags well?

I won't be getting early copy on Monday (or veeeeeery unlikely) so I know I need stop using Reddit after Sunday, but kinda hope I could read this OT for gameplay impressions without fear of getting slapped to cheeks with story spoilers/details.

Most people are good with using spoiler tags, but there'll be a lot who will forget to spoiler something, or use spoiler tags poorly.

Examples:

Good spoiler: Oh, when I was on Mars, I found a cave with
important stuff

Bad spoiler:
Oh, when I was on Mars, I found a cave with important stuff

In the good example, you have context for the spoiler. If you haven't been to Mars yet, you know you should skip that spoiler. In the bad example, you have no clue what it is and therefore would have to look at it to see if it was something you already knew about or not. I really hope people don't use spoiler tags poorly. But I'd browse at your own risk on Tuesday.

How dangerous GAF threads are for getting spoiled around release or do people in GAF actually use tags well?

I won't be getting early copy on Monday (or veeeeeery unlikely) so I know I need stop using Reddit after Sunday, but kinda hope I could read this OT for gameplay impressions without fear of getting slapped to cheeks with story spoilers/details.

There's a usually a spoiler thread to go with the OT to prevent spoilers. There have been people that slipped and went out of line with spoilers. Some times people just don't know what spoilers really are and if they're approiate for the OT.

Omni

Someone always slips up. Either by accident or because they don't realise a certain aspect is spoiler worthy.

In my experience you're better off going dark completely.

Tovarisc

You know what'll solve your problem? Bail out of the |OT| entirely come launch! :D

I know that going dark on Monday is best play if I don't want story spoilers.

I just wish I could read this for gameplay etc. impressions without getting spoilers of story :b

Kane1345

Not in Germany at least, the advertising in the US is very huge for all AAA games.
In Germany you only got small advertisements.

Well you see some now and then in central London but I haven't been down there in ages and when they appear they usually have something in the papers too. There were giant ads for the PS4 launch for instance in some places around London. Anyway I'm pretty sure everyone in the gaming world knows about Destiny now :p

Well you see some now and then in central London but I haven't been down there in ages and when they appear they usually have something in the papers too. There were giant ads for the PS4 launch for instance in some places around London. Anyway I'm pretty sure everyone in the gaming world knows about Destiny now :p

It is really funny, Germany is also marketing heavy, but not that much with video games, more like other things like movies or other products.
I'm pretty sure most people who know Bungie, Halo and are interested in gaming have already heard of Destiny or played the Alpha or Beta anyway, so you're right on that one :p

ekim

I somehow enjoyed the beta but I'm not sure how the game will play in the long term.
Would you say it's like a SciFi-first-person-shooter-Diablo?

Tovarisc

Time to put my skills of spoiler tagging into test :D

So in Reddit I found OP that had link into gallery that seems to have most, if not all, Grimoire Card art in it. It's some very cool looking art, but obviously spoilery!

!!So don't click the link if you don't want possible, mild, spoilers!!

Link

So in Reddit I found OP that had link into gallery that seems to have most, if not all, Grimoire Card art in it. It's some very cool looking art, but obviously spoilery!

Link

Holy crap those cards, these look awesome, thanks for posting :D.

KeRaSh

It is really funny, Germany is also marketing heavy, but not that much with video games, more like other things like movies or other products.
I'm pretty sure most people who know Bungie, Halo and are interested in gaming have already heard of Destiny or played the Alpha or Beta anyway, so you're right on that one :p

Funnily enough, I talked to a colleague at work earlier today and he had no clue what Destiny was. He's a gamer, too.
I personally haven't seen any ads in Germany so far but I don't watch any TV.

I showed the newly released live action trailer to my wife yesterday and within a few seconds she asked me if this was Halo. Close enough for me. I was pretty proud. :D

Mind

Neo Member
Just found this on the net. Didn't know yet.
Through heavy investigation into early players already in the Destiny world, along with the API, we can 100% confirm that the following Crucible change has been made:
Players can participate in the Crucible without having to achieve level 5 first
They will be restricted to a mode that only contains other players not at level 5 yet
This “PvP Introduction” mode is disabled once the player is eligible to play in regular Crucible modes (5+)
This was done to facilitate those players that only want to do PvP and to eliminate any confusion about how to enter the Crucible

http://destinynews.net/exclusive-crucible-changes/

Seijuro

Anyone know from experience when amazon.co.uk will ship their preorders out (to mainland europe, if that makes any difference)?
A local retailer is shipping their copies since today, but I would pay almost € 20 more...

Donos

Link

O__O sweet baby jesus, this looks awesome. Get hype.

I think I never spent so much money for one Game. Just pre-ordered the DGE from the US-PSN Store and bought the PS4 Ghost Edition on Day1 from Amazon.

Funnily enough, I talked to a colleague at work earlier today and he had no clue what Destiny was. He's a gamer, too.
I personally haven't seen any ads in Germany so far but I don't watch any TV.

I showed the newly released live action trailer to my wife yesterday and within a few seconds she asked me if this was Halo. Close enough for me. I was pretty proud. :D

I only have seen the ad here twice on TV,
but I'm not a TV person myself, ok that is funny, I guess he is interested in other gaming genres then?
You can be proud alright :D

Marvel

could never
Ah that's good, now I'm wondering if there's anything comparable to those giant billboards the US currently have out there in the wild

I haven't been into the city center for a little while, I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything.

Kane1345

Link

Amazing stuff and really cool art work, thanks for the link

My only strife with the supers are that the only one you can dodge in close proximity is the hunter's which is pretty shitty.

Can't tell you how many times I've jumped out of feasible range from a warlock blast or titan smash and still get hit somehow.

I double jumped out of the Nova Bomb. There is really no escaping FOH though.

Just found this on the net. Didn't know yet.
Through heavy investigation into early players already in the Destiny world, along with the API, we can 100% confirm that the following Crucible change has been made:
Players can participate in the Crucible without having to achieve level 5 first
They will be restricted to a mode that only contains other players not at level 5 yet
This “PvP Introduction” mode is disabled once the player is eligible to play in regular Crucible modes (5+)
This was done to facilitate those players that only want to do PvP and to eliminate any confusion about how to enter the Crucible

http://destinynews.net/exclusive-crucible-changes/

This has been known for a while, I think.

broony

Link

Just had a quick peep. Think they basically give away the number of story missions and strikes, which was kind of known already.

Bold One

Sexy

C16PT2C.png

lol at level 20, titans start to look even more silly, shoulder pads, pointy bits on their pointy bits

Kane1345

Does anyone know the extent we can use shaders? Can we colour every piece of gear and weaponry? because obviously that will go a long way to making our armory look better.

bigDave

Does anyone know the extent we can use shaders? Can we colour every piece of gear and weaponry? because obviously that will go a long way to making our armory look better.

but, most importantly, are shader one use only, or can i switch between them when i want?

Tovarisc

If it hasn't changed then shader applies predefined color scheme to whole armor, but not to weaponry. Also they were multi-use meaning you buy once and can freely swap between them.

Kard8p3

Posting in here to find the thread easier, hoping to pick up a destiny ps4 bundle, I've been in the dark for this game but I've always been interested by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom