• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, I've been playing CoD all week and I get on Destiny and I'm some trash in PVP. This might be because I'm using a handcannon now but I don't even feel the need to switch to my shotgun. I feel so slow in PVP. What happened.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Even strictly looking at Xur from a PVE stance, he decreases the length of the game.

You now have less reasons to log in and play to get a shot at certain exotics if they are just handed to you every weekend. Why do strikes or go for Exotic chests in the raid when you can just wait to buy what you want?

The only way I think he would be okay is if he sold en exotic engram and only one exotic engram. And the engram has a chance of turning into any exotic in the game.

Even then, I'm not crazy about the idea of guaranteed exotics.

Buh?

You do remember how coins are obtained, yes? It's not like coins are just handed out, lol.

Sullichin

i have said this a few times. i think xur selling exotic weapons is a terrible design choice because it makes finding one less rewarding, it definitely takes from the wow factor, when you can play the game minimally and have enough coins for when he shows up. It's like, i've put all this work and time and finally got that one exotic i wanted and then a week later xur pops up and he's selling it and now everyone has it. Not to mention the borefest that pvp becomes when everyone is in there with the same shit.

Some people may not like to admit it but great part of the appeal of destiny is having gear/weapons others don't. IMO, the game sells itself on that with the "become legend" tagline, and i think everyone looking the same (light level system has all level 30's looking the same, and not, shaders do not count) and having the same gear/weapons takes from that.

with that said, i do understand that not everybody has the same amount of time to invest on a game, so much like the criticisms i offered i also previously mentioned one possible solution that may help those without time or RNG luck. A selection of exotic weapons (maybe with different perks than the ones you get randomly or for completion of tasks) that is available through xur, ideally, these would be different weapons, but the game just doesn't have enough content for this, maybe the extensions would help if they added like x amount of new exotic weapons.

- You can play the game "minimally" to save up enough coins? Please tell that to my girlfriend! And my friend who plays every night of the week and is 3 coins short for TLW. That's just a ridiculous claim. You have to do the heroic at the highest difficulty every week for 9 guaranteed coins and the rest are random. 23 coins for a primary don't just fall into your lap randomly... but you could play the game minimally and randomly get one that easily!

- Work and time, please. How did you get your Last Word, by killing Phogoth for the three hundreth time, or maybe a random skirmish match, or maybe a dreg dropped a legendary engram? Hey, I bought TLW from Xur and I did all of that shit, too. You could have easily just NOT have gotten TLW this week. If that happened would you still not buy it from Xur because it ruins the exclusiveness of it?

- I see plenty of weapons in PVP. Lots of TLW in Rumble now, yeah everyone's trying out their new exotic handcannon because it's super fucking cool. Good times.

- To the bolded, no, that's not true for me. I know there's a finite amount of items in the game, and I know the items I want. I don't really get off on strangers not having an item I like to use. Weird, but true.

realcZk

(ಠ_ಠ) No idea what that means.

Ehh, I'm going to buy TLW simply because I can afford to, but it won't see much use. Hand cannons aren't my thing. I know they're cool, though. I've witnessed someone completely wrecking nightfall with Fatebringer.

Haha I was just making a joke about how small the range on TLW is. It's a great gun and lots of fun for PvP, and if you don't have it already I'd definitely buy it. But it's not some unstoppable force by any means, nor that great in PvE.

TsuWave

I don't mind randomness in a loot game. It's one of the reasons I like to play them.

pretty much. i'm currently just playing the game for gjallahorn and icebreaber, til extension that is, one of them has already been available through xur once, though i didn't buy it, i have skipped every exotic from xur, bar this week's TLW(because I was curious) because i knew it would reduce the game's legs for me.

zewone

Buh?

You do remember how coins are obtained, yes? It's not like coins are just handed out, lol.

Yeah, doing one easy strike a week.

If you have two or three characters, you can get 18 to 27 a week. Which is enough to purchase anything Xur sells.

Allow me to quote myself:

In my personnal experience, no Xûr would actually have shortened the game. :)

You throwing in the towel is different than there being less items to obtain in a loot game.

Jinjo

I was so hyped about The Last Word, then I used it for 5 minutes and switched back to Hawkmoon. Such an anti-climax.

So far TLW isn't my cup of tea. I need to get the 2nd hipfire upgrade before really deciding, but so far hawkmoon is better for me.

vdTFOEG.gif

First ever full raid run through with some experienced guys got me shards, vision of confluence, armband and chatter white. Seeing some of the stuff other people get I think it's not a bad haul

Shito

If you have two or three characters, you can get 18 to 27 a week. Which is enough to purchase anything Xur sells.
It's enough to purchase ONE item to Xûr per week.
By having three characters at 28, and be willing to repeat the same strike 3 times on them.
This is some hardcore shit, not everyone is playing like this, far from it.

You throwing in the towel is different than there being less items to obtain in a loot game.
Doesn't change the fact that your assertion was not an universal truth.
For some people like me, not having Xûr would mean quitting the game earlier than having him in the game.

Greenymac

List of the guns I want, in priority order:

1. Vision of Confluence
2. Hawkmoon
3. Fatebringer
4. Gjallarhorn
5. Hezen vengeance

2 level 30 characters for weeks not enough to get these... rolling out a 2nd alt.

I have all those except the hawkmoon and Id gladly trade all of them except the fatebringer for that Hawkmoon if I could...

zewone

I was so hyped about The Last Word, then I used it for 5 minutes and switched back to Hawkmoon. Such an anti-climax.

So far TLW isn't my cup of tea. I need to get the 2nd hipfire upgrade before really deciding, but so far hawkmoon is better for me.

If you all are basing this decision without The Last Word perk unlocked there is hope yet that people won't be using the best gun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the guy i quoted had already mentioned the reward system needs tweaking so i didn't feel the need to address that.
You used the phrase "all this work and time," like you really painstakingly earned your Last Word through concrete effort.
it would be silly to be able to afford everything you want from xur anyway
people on this forum can. pretty sure I can this week :X after I get the 28 heroic done on each character tonight.
but let's not act like 17 coins for an exotic weapon takes a crazy amount of grinding. two characters, do the weekly heroic once on each, put coins in the vault, pick it up with the other character, and you're pretty much set for the exotic weapon and it takes like a hour weekly to do this
*sigh* Two characters, at level 26-28, doing the Weekly Heroic at 28.

According to my trophies list, on PS4, roughly one in three players has not yet completed a Strike. 82% have not yet reached Vanguard Rank 3. Roughly 87% have not yet fully maxed their chosen subclass.

I have had at least one person, every Monday since launch, either from GAF or otherwise that wanted help getting their strike done before the reset.

We are outliers.

Sullichin

Having 3 level 28 characters to do a strike every week
Thinking weekly heroic strike is easy

Yeah, that's not the majority of players. And that lets you buy one weapon a week. Hell, if you go through all that you deserve to be able to buy something from Xur. Isn't that the point? Why is it a bad thing when the game actually respects you time?

don't know if it's commoe knowledge and I'm just late to the site but destinystatus.com shows the exact number of XP needed to upgrade your equipped weapons or level up. It also shows your rep with every single faction as well as how much XP until the next level. A lot faster than guesstimating bubbles and viewing each vendor individually.

Thanks this is a great find, very useful site

Rubenov

I was about to give up on the game, no desire to play anymore, then Xur sold the Icebreaker. It made it possible for me to slog through hard nightfalls and raids with then a relatively low level character, and the game then hooked me indefintely.

zewone

Having 3 level 28 characters to do a strike every week
Thinking weekly heroic strike is easy

Yeah, that's not the majority of players. And that lets you buy one weapon a week. Hell, if you go through all that you deserve to be able to buy something from Xur. Isn't that the point? Why is it a bad thing when the game actually respects you time?

Nightfall already gives you a high chance at an exotic every week, as does the raid (2 in fact if you can do it on Heroic).

Why is that not enough?

I don't play PvP, so whatever I decide isn't really gonna affect you either way. :p

The Last Word is terrible in PVE. Stick to the Hawkmoon.

Ridli

Gonna be hard to get a better roll on Armamentarium stats. Need to stack that, raid boots, and a RL with field scout and see how many rockets I can carry.

LiK

I dunno how you guys don't play PVP at all. Every other mode is the same thing all the time. Only PVP changes from game to game which keeps it fresh to me. But to each their own.

*sigh* Two characters, at level 26-28, doing the Weekly Heroic at 28.

According to my trophies list, on PS4, roughly one in three players has not yet completed a Strike. 82% have not yet reached Vanguard Rank 3. Roughly 87% have not yet fully maxed their chosen subclass.

I have had at least one person, every Monday since launch, either from GAF or otherwise that wanted help getting their strike done before the reset.

We are outliers.

We really are, looking at the trophy stats on PSN is an eye opening experience

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Hahahaha, so the time and effort put into levelling those characters doesn't matter? It's better that you got lucky to get the weapon while somebody else didn't? Even though they probably put in the same amount (or maybe more?!) of "work" that you did?

I have 3 Gjallarhorns. THREE! It's an amazing weapon and I will be excited when/if Xur ever sells it so others can finally see how awesome it is. I can't even remember how I got my first one, which tells me I probably didn't work that hard for it.

TsuWave

- You can play the game "minimally" to save up enough coins? Please tell that to my girlfriend! And my friend who plays every night of the week and is 3 coins short for TLW. That's just a ridiculous claim. You have to do the heroic at the highest difficulty every week for 9 guaranteed coins and the rest are random. 23 coins for a primary don't just fall into your lap randomly... but you could play the game minimally and randomly get one that easily!

i've addressed this, getting coins in this game is easy: two characters, do the weekly heroic once on each, put coins in the vault, pick it up with the other character, and you're pretty much set for the exotic weapon and it takes like a hour weekly to do this

and its not like levelling up to do the weekly takes an incredible amount of time

- Work and time, please. How did you get your Last Word, by killing Phogoth for the three hundreth time, or maybe a random skirmish match, or maybe a dreg dropped a legendary engram? Hey, I bought TLW from Xur and I did all of that shit, too. You could have easily just NOT have gotten TLW this week. If that happened would you still not buy it from Xur because it ruins the exclusiveness of it?

i've got a bunch of exotics and only one came from xur, so yeah, it's work and time i invested into the game. but I also recognized not everyone can do this and offered a possible solution too. me buying this week's TLW does not mean that i wouldn't prefer if the system was different, it's not a mutually exclusive thing, wth?

- I see plenty of weapons in PVP. Lots of TLW in Rumble now, yeah everyone's trying out their new exotic handcannon because it's super fucking cool. Good times.

i didn't say you don't see different weapons in pvp, but there's no denying when xur comes around you see an influx of the same shit in there, the suros still reigns supreme, personally i find it boring and that's all i'm saying.
- To the bolded, no, that's not true for me. I know there's a finite amount of items in the game, and I know the items I want. I don't really get off on strangers not having an item I like to use. Weird, but true.

different people my guy. besides i very rarely play destiny solo, my squad is competitive and we like to compare what we have. I get that friendly jealousy when my friends find a super awesome gun i've been wanting for ages and it makes me want to play the game more til i get it, same for them.

He already sold it, but it was the 2nd week, I believe. So it was before most people knew the extent of its awesomeness.

Not only that, but unless you were pounding it hardcore, I doubt most people were ready for the 9 coin Heroic Weekly. At most, maybe two 6 coin weeklies and couple of random coins from engrams. I know I was still forever 24 since all of my purples were for other classes, and whatever coins I had, I spent on armor to move off of 24 so I could earn more coins.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why is it a bad thing when the game actually respects you time?
boggles my mind to hell and back that's for sure.

I'm disappointed in myself. When I first wrote the second part of my guide, I had this idea that everyone would really approve of Xur and the ability to concretely pursue 1) level progression through Exotic armor, 2) badass Exotic weapons each week, with zero RNG needed.

I was wrong.
Nightfall already gives you a high chance at an exotic every week, as does the raid (2 in fact if you can it on Heroic).

Why is that not enough?
How about because of my stack of Ascendant Energy, MIDA Multi-Tools and Monte Carlos?

Nightfall can also give you Strange Coins. lol.

zewone

I have 3 Gjallarhorns. THREE! It's an amazing weapon and I will be excited when/if Xur ever sells it so others can finally see how awesome it is. I can't even remember how I got my first one, which tells me I probably didn't work that hard for it.

You probably bought it from Xur, since it was on sale before. So, you're right, you didn't work that hard for it.

LordofPwn

Good week so far for me and loot overall.

Need:
Hard Light
The Last Word
Monte Carlo
Hawkmoon
Thunderlord
Super Good Advice
– Raid –
Praedyth's Timepiece
Hezen Vengeance
Warlock Helm
Titan Helm
Titan Gloves
Titan Chest
Titan Boots
Hunter Gloves
Hunter Chest
Hunter Boots

Sullichin

i've addressed this, getting coins in this game is easy: two characters, do the weekly heroic once on each, put coins in the vault, pick it up with the other character, and you're pretty much set for the exotic weapon and it takes like a hour weekly to do this

and its not like levelling up to do the weekly takes an incredible amount of time

i've got a bunch of exotics and only one came from xur, so yeah, it's work and time i invested into the game. but I also recognized not everyone can do this and offered a possible solution too. me buying this week's TLW does not mean that i wouldn't prefer if the system was different, it's not a mutually exclusive thing, wth?

i didn't say you don't see different weapons in pvp, but there's no denying when xur comes around you see an influx of the same shit in there, the suros still reigns supreme, personally i find it boring and that's all i'm saying.

different people my guy. besides i very rarely play destiny solo, my squad is competitive and we like to compare what we have. I get that friendly jealousy when my friends find a super awesome gun i've been wanting for ages and it makes me want to play the game more til i get it, same for them.

I'd rather my friends have the same weapons as me so I can prove I'm better than them!

Deku Tree

I'm not certain of this, but I think you always have a chance at 5 drops, it's just that each of them are individual.

Basically, pay attention to how many shards/energy you are getting. Every 2 is another drop.

You could get 8 shards and a sparrow and that is "5 drops".

Note: I could totally be full of shit at this.

Wow! 2 shards = one drop. IMO it should be at least 3 shards = one drop. I did get a lot of shards and energies last night.

Strider

God, I've been playing CoD all week and I get on Destiny and I'm some trash in PVP. This might be because I'm using a handcannon now but I don't even feel the need to switch to my shotgun. I feel so slow in PVP. What happened.

Yea I def struggled a little at first as well when switching between the two. Just being honest, Destiny feels super sluggish after playing Advanced Warfare. After a while you get used to it again but at first... :/ Really hoping Destiny 2 is 60 fps but I highly doubt it.

It also did not help I kept trying to exo boost out of situations the first couple of matches in Destiny though after playing AW lol

Namikaze1

Guys, stop mentioning Hawkmoon around fig. Your making her cry. Seriously, don't mention Hawkmoon. No matter what, do not mention Hawkmoon. I know you want to praise Hawkmoon, but don't mention Hawkmoon around fig. Hawkmoon.
Xur sells TLW finally and Hawkmoon is getting more love now. lol
I have always been a follower of the Hawk. The Hawk has chosen me as its disciple after getting four of them this week. I must spread the word of the Hawkmoon.

Fucking lol!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
boggles my mind to hell and back that's for sure.

I'm disappointed in myself. When I first wrote the second part of my guide, I had this idea that everyone would really approve of Xur and the ability to concretely pursue 1) level progression through Exotic armor, 2) badass Exotic weapons each week, with zero RNG needed.

I was wrong.

How about because of my stack of Ascendant Energy, MIDA Multi-Tools and Monte Carlos?

Nightfall can also give you Strange Coins. lol.

Nightfall can also give you 2 Ascendant Energy.

Yeah, I'm still salty.

I've done the Nightfall every week since I could. I have received ONE exotic. RNG should be enough? BAH.

You probably bought it from Xur, since it was on sale before. So, you're right, you didn't work that hard for it.

LOL, hilarious. I meant I couldn't remember which NIGHTFALL I got it from. Nice snark though. SMH.

I remember everything I've purchased from Xur.

Edit: Actually, maybe I have received 2 exotics from the Nightfall, as I have Truth and I didn't purchase that either.

I dunno how you guys don't play PVP at all. Every other mode is the same thing all the time. Only PVP changes from game to game which keeps it fresh to me. But to each their own.

Actually it's the constant variety that actually puts me off PvP. I approach PvE as a sort of 'combat puzzle' where I try and see how I can get through each scenario without dying and for that to work there needs to be a degree of consistency which is impossible in most PvP. Of course this was true prior to grossly out leveling the PvE content where now it's more of a speed run puzzle than an actual challenge. It's the main reason I am annoyed that there aren't any lvl 25+ strike playlists, there's just no challenge in the PvE except the Raid and Weeklies any more. The daily is great craic but it's only one mission a day and due to the progression in level design it can be over in 10 minutes if it's an early mission.

The only PvP series I have ever really gotten into is the Battlefield series because it provides a lot of support roles that I enjoy as they allow me to be useful to my team without having to be actually any good at shooting other players (flag cap, health, ammo, revive, etc). Destiny is almost completely devoid of these modes and even the cap focused Control doesn't allow revives and the flags act as a multiplier to kills rather than actively depleting the other teams tickets, the mode with revives is 3vs3 and unless you have a crew on comms lord help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom