• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are misinterpreting a lot of what i say and you state your experiences as some sort of universal truth. i meant reigns supreme in terms of usage, please refer to the context the sentence was used in. and that is what happens for me. and yes, i play crucible regularly:

tumblr_nf1ifew7oZ1r6mcwfo1_250.png

tumblr_nf1ifew7oZ1r6mcwfo2_1280.png

how is it gibberish, what are you on about? lol i mentioned the luck element of it in my first couple of posts, if i hadn't invested the time/work to play the game i wouldn't have been lucky to get the exotics. I could've gathered coins in a manner that to me is easy and waited for xur weekly.

person A plays game daily, week after week, finally gets weapon X on week 7, happy as fuck after all the grind. person B plays game sparingly, buys the same weapon from xur after it becomes available a few days after person A got it. To me, if i were person A, that would make getting the weapon less rewarding.

sure you also have problems with RNG with the possibility of person A investing all that time/work and getting the weapon and person B getting it straight after booting the game. but we already conceded the reward system needs tweaking so...and i'd still prefer that then it being available through xur. but that's me.

No i'm not. as I said, you seem too entrenched in arguing your side that you're misinterpreting a lot. This is becoming repetitive and boresome. Getting the characters up and doing weekly for the coins is work yes, I didn't say it wasn't, but it certainly does not require a great amount of effort imo, not to the same extent. Read above and previous posts.

your point being? i didn't say it does not happen, put things into context ffs. he said he doesn't get off on the gear/weapons strangers have, and i said my friends having stuff i don't motivates me to play the game more. Xur selling exotic weapons makes it so its "easier" for everyone of us to have the same stuff and i'd prefer if it wasn't like that.

Hey, if we're posting anecdotes:

Been using SUROS on this guy in PvP since the first time Xur sold it.

TsuWave

Your definition of "easy" is to level two characters all the way up, and do the weekly heroic strike with both of them? That's easy?

From my vantage point, that's utterly bonkers.

I apologise for the wording, but yeah, it was/is for me, to get to a level where i could to the weekly. i don't think levelling up to 26/28 in destiny is that hard, the grind truly started to get to level 30. and i solo most "weeklies" in 20 minutes or less but i see it could be different for other people so again, sorry for the wording.

i'll leave this alone because its dragging and derailing the thread. Anyways I'd prefer a system in which xur didn't sell exotics, and i'm not alone as evidenced by the guy i first quoted, but plenty people are content with how it is so fair enough.

GhaleonEB

Weekly heroic is pretty easy fully upgraded and with decent weapons. I realise that initially does take a lot of time and effort though.

Yeah, that's what puts me off from it. I play 3-6 times per week, doing the daily heroic story, some level 24 strikes and the odd patrol or two. I just hit level 26 this week, and completed the weekly heroic strike for the first time (solo). I have 12 coins.

To follow the advice, I'd need another month or so to level another character to the same, and really increase my play time per week to do the weekly heroic strikes. The strike was fun until the boss, but as usual was a slog for the boss itself which I had to cheese in order to beat solo. I think I just have a different bar for what is easy.

I basically want to play the activities in the game in moderation and slowly get the appropriate rewards needed to level. That means I level very, very slowly. All of the advise I've read to level faster feels like work (farming hajilllions of helium filaments, leveling dual characters, etc.). The second it feels like work, the fun stops cold and I stop playing.

Farming, juggling multiple characters, repeated runs on heroic strikes...I just don't think these are reasonable asks in order to level a character. I'm not a hardcore player of this game, I just hop on for an hour or so a few times a week. Upcoming changes like the resource economies (if that means what I think it means), moderate nerfs to strike boss health, etc. will make leveling via normal play a lot more reasonable.

I apologise for the wording, but yeah, it was/is for me, to get to a level where i could to the weekly. i don't think levelling up to 26/28 in destiny is that hard, the grind truly started to get to level 30. and i solo most "weeklies" in 20 minutes or less but i see it could be different for other people so again, sorry for the wording.

i'll leave this alone because its dragging and derailing the thread. Anyways I'd prefer a system in which xur didn't sell exotics, and i'm not alone as evidenced by the guy i first quoted, but plenty people are content with how it is so fair enough.

Xur does make exotics feel less "exotic". But when you have a game where you get one chance per week at a raid and a nightfall it kind of makes sense. In Diablo I can do bounties and rifts as often as I want and those increase my chances of getting good loot. But in destiny you get one shot per week. After that it's a shit load of grinding and most people don't have time for that

TsuWave

^and that is why i say xur should have a specific selection of exotic weapons, possibly with different perks each time. say like if they introduced 6-8 new exotic weapons to be on rotation through xur and with their perks changing and whatnot that way people without time can still get exotics and with different abilities and stuff. and then there's the other set of exotics attainable through completion of tasks/challenges and then the set attainable through RNG. i think that would be a good compromise but it would require way more guns/gear than the game has off course

Hey, if we're posting anecdotes:

Been using SUROS on this guy in PvP since the first time Xur sold it.

good stuff. suros is a great weapon. your K/D is much higher than mine. I'm like 1.40. i was just proving that i play crucible regularly.

I would like to set up a group for the normal raid tonight at 10:00pm EST

Looking to get my Level 27 Warlock in his first raid, I have done the raid dozens and dozens of times with my Level 30 Titan and Level 29 Hunter.

2 more spots left!

PS4
Cosmos_Man

Please send me a PM as I will repost this throughout the day looking for people and I will update the player list below as I get interested players. Feel free to add me in the mean time as well.

1. Cosmos_Man
2. DJ_Lushious
3. Shem0275
4. mshafer7

LiK

Yeah, that's what puts me off from it. I play 3-6 times per week, doing the daily heroic story, some level 24 strikes and the odd patrol or two. I just hit level 26 this week, and completed the weekly heroic strike for the first time (solo). I have 12 coins.

To follow the advice, I'd need another month or so to level another character to the same, and really increase my play time per week to do the weekly heroic strikes. The strike was fun until the boss, but as usual was a slog for the boss itself which I had to cheese in order to beat solo. I think I just have a different bar for what is easy.

I basically want to play the activities in the game in moderation and slowly get the appropriate rewards needed to level. That means I level very, very slowly. All of the advise I've read to level faster feels like work (farming hajilllions of helium filaments, leveling dual characters, etc.). The second it feels like work, the fun stops cold and I stop playing.

Farming, juggling multiple characters, repeated runs on heroic strikes...I just don't think these are reasonable asks in order to level a character. I'm not a hardcore player of this game, I just hop on for an hour or so a few times a week. Upcoming changes like the resource economies (if that means what I think it means), moderate nerfs to strike boss health, etc. will make leveling via normal play a lot more reasonable.

It's not work if you play with people. I notice you solo the game whenever I check your status. Invite some people and you can have more fun with strikes etc.

You went back to Hunter, didn't you.

Mmmmm, TLW is so fucking good. Love it already and I don't even have a single upgrade unlocked. So much fun just rolling in full speed on a sparrow (with a new purple contrail as of today too) hop off and then just wild west wig the fuck out a group of dregs and vandals pop'n heads, smacking hammers and spinning guns. The only thing missing is an animation of blowing smoke away from the tip of the barrel. Hawkmoon, you will be mine next! Hand cannons for life.

Sullichin

What will everyone be taking into iron banger next week?

Thorn (need to finish maxing for this purpose)
Suros Regime maxed, just to see how it is, but it's not my weapon.
Hawkmoon
The Last Word
Devil You Know if I go with another exotic slot
Found Verdict
Zombie Apocalypse, maybe Thunderlord
Constant axiom bolts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd just really like it if we could try to bear in mind that the average player of Destiny is closer on the spectrum to GhaleonEB in terms of their progression than to the average poster in this thread. I know it might not seem like the case if this thread is the majority of the Destiny contact/community you experience, but it is.

Far from attempting to interpret Xur's impact solely through anecdote or assert my claims to be universal truth, I (and THE GREY CARDINAL) posted statistics on the overall playerbase to support them. I also offered some simple statements of fact (completing 2 weekly heroic strikes at level 28 does not yield enough coins for an exotic primary). However, as I said before even though I was having fun when I started I've completely exhausted myself on this argument, so I concede and will call it a matter of opinion.

Heel

Destiny is not a fun game solo, IMO.

I recommend finding some friends or NeoGAF'ers who can help you with things like weeklies and Nighfall.

Namikaze1

Primary:
Fatebringer
Suros
Hawkmoon
Vex Mythoclast
Athean's Epilogue

Special:
Praetorian Foil
Found Verdict
Invective
Praedyth's Revenge

Heavy:
Hezen
Thunderlord
Corrective Measure
Gjallarhorn

Titan Defender's equipment:
Athean's Epilogue
Found Verdict
Gjallarhorn

Warlock Sunsinger:
Suros
Praetorian Foil
Corrective Measure

Hunter Gunslinger:
Hawkmoon
Found Verdict
Hezen

I'll be switching weapons on the fly if the situation calls for it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Hopped on to buy The Last Word, realized I didn't want to grind bounties/farm materials to level it up and turned the game off. This game probably needs a serious overhaul to bring me back.

Nightfall already gives you a high chance at an exotic every week, as does the raid (2 in fact if you can do it on Heroic).

ibonlfBTrDsxOZ.gif

If that were true, I'd still be playing this game.

Sullichin

Hopped on to buy The Last Word, realized I didn't want to grind bounties/farm materials to level it up and turned the game off. This game probably needs a serious overhaul to bring me back.

ibonlfBTrDsxOZ.gif

I do wish the unique upgrades for exotics were the earlier upgrades to unlock, because some exotics are just bad until you get the upgrades.

Some in this thread said TLW is bad without the upgrades but I think it's pretty damn beastly out of the box. At least it's a weapon you can level casually in Crucible. The worst is when I want to level an exotic that I only use in PVE.

2 out of 3 nightfalls down for the week.

Cryptic dragon and doctor nope were my rewards.

I remember when this game used to give me exotics.

I have to say Suros is still my favorite gun for crucible. I tried Vision of Confluence, Devil You May Know, and other guns but keep coming back. I'm rocking a 2.68 KD overall with 8000 kills. For iron banner I'll be using the Suros P revenge and Swarm.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

I think that's where some are having trouble getting perspective. Time is valuable to me and using it up to play a game (while fun) and leaving it up to RNG to be rewarded for it does not make sense. However, that can be hard to see sometimes when you've already been blessed by the RNG (I know I've been guilty of it in other games). Nevermind the people who have "worked harder" than those of us that got lucky and haven't been rewarded at all.

LiK

I have to say Suros is still my favorite gun for crucible. I tried Vision of Confluence, Devil You May Know, and other guns but keep coming back. I'm rocking a 2.68 KD overall with 8000 kills. For iron banner I'll be using the Suros P revenge and Swarm.

I haven't used a Suros in a while cuz I'm using the Ballerhorn more. But I'll need to get back to that.

Qwell

Xur does make exotics feel less "exotic". But when you have a game where you get one chance per week at a raid and a nightfall it kind of makes sense. In Diablo I can do bounties and rifts as often as I want and those increase my chances of getting good loot. But in destiny you get one shot per week. After that it's a shit load of grinding and most people don't have time for that
I don't think its Xur that makes them seem less exotic but the random nature of the game. If anything an "exotic" or whatever you want to call it is something that should require a great deal of effort or long series of tasks to complete. Something that not everyone will put up with. I don't care if Xur sells them because the allure of the weapons / armor is completely removed since the other way to get them is possibly from an engram, possibly from a low lvl mob, or some other random event.

In Everquest you had these super special weapons that were required very very lengthy quest lines. Quest lines that would sometimes take weeks to complete. Or WoW you have legendaries that are the same way, and if someone sees you wielding it they know what you had to go through to get it. The same can be said for any kind of weapon which has a spelled out retrieval process, even if its just some special boss that only spawns in a hard mode or something.

That is my issue with exotic and heck even raid gear. It is very frustrating to have run the Hard Raid many multiple times on my hunter .... and because of RNG he only ever gets shards, still not a single piece of raid armor. Yet my Warlock and Titan who have run the raid less ... sometimes only half the clears of my hunter have been lvl 30 for a few weeks now.

And it is the same with exotics ... besides the exotics from the exotic bounties ... you have no idea how someone got the exotic, maybe it was xur, maybe it was the crucible, maybe it was the nightfall, maybe it was some random Dreg.

All that being said, I still love the game and I can't seem to stop playing it, I finally played about 40 minutes of CoD: AW last night, and I'll try to finish it this weekend, and I know the only reason I can is because I hammered out 3x HM raids, 3x Nightfalls, 3x Weeklies, and already finished getting rank 3 in Crucible and Vanguard so I don't have much to work towards until the reset.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lots. Kinda depends what Xur offers next Friday as well. Definitely the ol' reliable Knucklemoon build. A variety of Thorn builds on both Hunter and Lock, some rather trollish. Possibly The Last Word depending on how much upgrading I can do for it this week. Some kind of Invective/Scorch fest on my Sunsinger. 77 Wizard and The Crash as respective backups, though I'll need to upgrade both a bit. Corrective Measure to and fro, probably a match or two with Thunderlord for funsies (mine's not maxed). Suros Regime (also barely upgraded) just to see how I do.

Once I get my hands on a Timur's Lash and/or Jolgen's Hammer, I'll be playing quite a bit with those to try them out as well.

For the moment I only have one build that can hit 29, so I'm going to be struggling a lot of the time and probably get wrecked by anyone with full raid gear. But hey it's what we asked for ;)

Nightfall already gives you a high chance at an exotic every week, as does the raid (2 in fact if you can do it on Heroic).

Why is that not enough.

It isn't enough. Like I posted earlier in Diablo you can do bounties and get coins for rifts which can give you better loot and you can do those anytime. Waiting once a week and getting 5 strange coins isn't really a good system. That's why Xur makes sense. I don't like it that he makes exotics not as special but in a system like this it makes sense to have him

jaaz

After weeks and weeks and 4 boot drops, I FINALLY got some other raid armor to drop and hit 30. I am so happy. The difference between 29 and 30 in terms of damage and defense is striking...

10710238_818922378150160_4968045917374570139_o.jpg

Now if only G-horn would drop...

GhaleonEB

It's not work if you play with people. I notice you solo the game whenever I check your status. Invite some people and you can have more fun with strikes etc
There's almost no one on when I get on (late evening west coast), and I play for short enough windows that I don't want to sit and wait for strikes and games to finish up.

Destiny is not a fun game solo, IMO.

I recommend finding some friends or NeoGAF'ers who can help you with things like weeklies and Nighfall.

I actually enjoy it a great deal solo, but this raises the other reason I prefer to play Destiny solo, so far. When I have a poor experience, the majority of the time it's because other players are in the mix, particularly higher level players. When I was say level 20 and got paired with level 25+ guys, it utterly ruined the experience. I felt like their little kid brother running around trying to help out as they mopped the floor with everyone. Not fun. Likewise, doing patrols or public events and having those guys rumble through and just annihilate everything. When I play I make a point to avoid overlapping with lower level players so as to not poach on their encounters (aside from public events where we all chip in).

Other than the time slots I have to play, I've actually had a bias for playing solo, because I've been leveling much more slowly than you guys. Once the level spread in characters gets over 2, it's really hard for it to be enjoyable. I alternate between feeling like a fifth wheel, totally inconsequential to the battles or I am cowering behind a rock, under-equipped for what I'm up against. The latter is better now that my gear is up to snuff (I finish about half the strikes without dying), but the leveling system really drives a wedge between players. Once I'm caught up to level 28 or so, I'll make more of an effort to get into the mix with you guys.

zewone

Because not everyone gets exotic drops. I've done at least 6-7 Nightfalls, 3 raid clears and not have a single exotic weapon drop.

I've got over 7 days worth of time in the game and I've not gotten a single exotic weapon drop through any activity I've done.

I have 5 exotic weapons, 4 from bounties and I bought the Truth from Xur. I have not been blessed to ever have any drop.

ibonlfBTrDsxOZ.gif

I don't think it's that high haha...

It isn't enough. Like I posted earlier in Diablo you can do bounties and get coins for rifts which can give you better loot and you can do those anytime. Waiting once a week and getting 5 strange coins isn't really a good system. That's why Xur makes sense. I don't like it that he makes exotics not as special but in a system like this it makes sense to have him

Everyone sounds like they should be entitled to exotics. The game doesn't owe you any drops. This is Bungie's fault for making the game too casual.

There's almost no one on when I get on (late evening west coast), and I play for short enough windows that I don't want to sit and wait for strikes and games to finish up.

I actually enjoy it a great deal solo, but this raises the other reason I prefer to play Destiny solo, so far. The majority of the time I have a poor experience, it's because other players are in the mix, particularly higher level players. When I was say level 20 and got paired with level 25+ guys, it utterly ruined the experience. I felt like their little kid brother running around trying to help out as they mopped the floor with everyone. Not fun.

Other than the time slots I have to play, I've actually had a bias for playing solo, because I've been leveling much more slowly than you guys. Once the level spread in characters gets over 2, it's really hard for it to be enjoyable. I alternate between feeling like a fifth wheel, totally inconsequential to the battles or I am cowering behind a rock, under-equipped for what I'm up against. The latter is better now that my gear is up to snuff (I finish about half the strikes without dying), but the leveling system really drives a wedge between players. Once I'm caught up to level 28 or so, I'll make more of an effort to get into the mix with you guys.

I play late at nights on the west coast. On the PS4

Psn ck716

I'm leveling a titan now and I'm level 26. I'll be moving up fast cause I already have my gear and all the shards I need but I will be stuck at 29 for a while. Whenever you feel comfortable playing with a 28-29 let me know

GhaleonEB

I play late at nights on the west coast. On the PS4

Psn ck716

I'm leveling a titan now and I'm level 26. I'll be moving up fast cause I already have my gear and all the shards I need but I will be stuck at 29 for a while. Whenever you feel comfortable playing with a 28-29 let me know

I'll shoot you a friend request tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom