• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, stop mentioning Hawkmoon around fig. Your making her cry. Seriously, don't mention Hawkmoon. No matter what, do not mention Hawkmoon. I know you want to praise Hawkmoon, but don't mention Hawkmoon around fig. Hawkmoon.

I have always been a follower of the Hawk. The Hawk has chosen me as its disciple after getting four of them this week. I must spread the word of the Hawkmoon.

Fucking lol!

BTW, how do you guys like the Hawkmoon? I've had one forever, and just haven't had the time to upgrade it. Does it get much better when it's not stock? The sun reflecting off of the shiny chrome barrel is quite distracting TBH. Too loud as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The suros regime does not reign supreme in PvP anymore. I don't see how anyone who plays the Crucible even on a remotely regular basis could believe this. It's maybe the easiest good weapon to use in the crucible (MAYBE; I might still have to give that honor to the Galahad-E!), but that's the whole of it. Both of my main builds are not threatened by it.
I dunno how you guys don't play PVP at all. Every other mode is the same thing all the time. Only PVP changes from game to game which keeps it fresh to me. But to each their own.
Well, I do feel like the modifiers (specifically Burns) on the Weekly strikes have this effect. I really love the feeling when I look at my subclass/weapon loadout after hitting the ground and deciding how best to wreck shop compared to the last time I was there.

The Crucible does do wonders in keeping the game fresh for me though. I definitely wouldn't be as happy with its value if I didn't enjoy it, so I can understand the frustrations of a lot of the playerbase if they don't (or dislike PvP in general).
i've got a bunch of exotics and only one came from xur, so yeah, it's work and time i invested into the game
this is gibberish man. It's like you have no idea how probability operates while at the same time you're asking for more RNG. If you didn't buy your weapon from Xur and the Vex Mythoclast isn't the weapon in question, work and time had NOTHING TO DO with your acquisition of those weapons. It was luck. The Exotic bounties require substantial effort to acquire and provide a just reward, but getting the bounties themselves is RNG.

Okay on the other hand buying things with coins is work and time. You put in the effort to have the viable characters for the weekly strikes. You put in the effort to complete them each week. You earned the coins. You choose what you want to spend them on. You obtain your reward. It's like you're arguing the opposite of what you mean in both directions
different people my guy. besides i very rarely play destiny solo, my squad is competitive and we like to compare what we have. I get that friendly jealousy when my friends find a super awesome gun i've been wanting for ages and it makes me want to play the game more til i get it, same for them.
this happens in the destiny we are all playing right now, all the goddamn time -_-

Sullichin

No Xur = No Strange Coins

lol

I don't get the joke. Almost all of my exotics are from Nightfall and raid.

Not really joking, and I agree Nightfall/Raid is the best chance at Exotics. But it's a one shot deal that usually ends in disappointment, and the weekend provides one last bastion of hope that Xur is actually selling something I want.

Basically what Hawkian said. it's great that Nightfall gave me Hard Light three weeks ago or whatever, but that weapon sucks and I get energy or shards or coins every other time. Or some Dead Orbit scout rifle. I feel like I've bad better luck with the Raid than most people when I read this thread, but I still haven't been lucky enough to get the exotics I wanted from it. Not like Xur has an exotic I want every week either!

I have a good deal of exotic weapons by this point, as I should for how much I've played, and yes, the majority of them aren't from Xur. We're all just going in circles with the Xur argument though. It's the same discussion every week

Pimpwerx

It's enough to purchase ONE item to Xûr per week.
By having three characters at 28, and be willing to repeat the same strike 3 times on them.
This is some hardcore shit, not everyone is playing like this, far from it.

Doesn't change the fact that your assertion was not an universal truth.
For some people like me, not having Xûr would mean quitting the game earlier than having him in the game.

A proper fireteam can rip through the nightfall 3 times in 2 hours. As long as you coordinate, you can get around any weapon deficits your group has. I remember the Devil's Lair nightfall had arc burn one day, and I had no arc weapons. I tried soloing, and it took me 20 minutes just to kill the two fallen captains in just the first wave. I died trying to speed through the second wave faster. I went back into that nightfall later that day with two friends, who didn't have arc weapons either. We just coordinated. Sniper, fusion and shotgun. Sniper kept him reeling from the impact, fusion rifle helped drop his shield, and I ran in with my Universal Remote and finished them off close-range. Cleared that nightfall in 40 minutes or so.

My clan is composed of guys in their late 20s to early 40s, most of them married, and we all work full-time. One of our guys even works on the road, and has raided with us from a motel. We only get a 4-6 hour block each night where we're on together. Our week looks like this:

Tue - Nightfalls
Wed - Weeklies/Raid (Oracles-Gorgon Maze)
Thu - Raid (Gatekeepers-Atheon)

The rest of the week varies. We only require 3 games of coordinated gaming, and even then it's not that much. I don't even do the dailies anymore. I have so many assmats, I've taken a short break from doing them. Nightfall on Tuesday so everything earned that week is boosted. It really only takes about 2 hours if your group is competent. \

Weeklies can be solo'd pretty easily, but with a fireteam, shouldn't take much longer than the normal version of that strike. That sounds weird, but the elemental burn usually makes it easier to kill enemies than the normal strike. Dailies can be solo'd pretty easily too.

Anyway, it's not that hard to fit in the major weekly events with all 3 characters. I'd say a 7-8hr commitment spread across the entire week isn't that bad. It does vary with skill level though. PEACE.

gatti-man

Hahahaha, so the time and effort put into levelling those characters doesn't matter? It's better that you got lucky to get the weapon while somebody else didn't? Even though they probably put in the same amount (or maybe more?!) of "work" that you did?

I have 3 Gjallarhorns. THREE! It's an amazing weapon and I will be excited when/if Xur ever sells it so others can finally see how awesome it is. I can't even remember how I got my first one, which tells me I probably didn't work that hard for it.

Ive played this game about 260 hours now. Have 3 characters to lvl 30 1 29 and still no gjallarhorn. At this point bungie should just put it in my mail box.

Namikaze1

BTW, how do you guys like the Hawkmoon? I've had one forever, and just haven't had the time to upgrade it. Does it get much better when it's not stock? The sun reflecting off of the shiny chrome barrel is quite distracting TBH. Too loud as well.
It gets much better. You'll be doing around 1600 up to 2200 in precision shots. Two shot are all it takes to kill someone in Crucible. Shit is so good. Would be even better if it had void/solar/arc damage.

TsuWave

You used the phrase "all this work and time," like you really painstakingly earned your Last Word through concrete effort.

I wasn't referring to my last word there. you misinterpreted it. The sentence you just quoted was preceded by "xur selling exotic weapons is bad because it takes from the wow factor of finding one" <- clearly not my TLW because i had already said i bought it, not found one. that was an example of something that has happened to me before and why i would prefer if it was different.

people on this forum can. pretty sure I can this week :X after I get the 28 heroic done on each character tonight.

i can too but the majority can't and i think that is a good thing, i already have problems with xur as it is

*sigh* Two characters, at level 26-28, doing the Weekly Heroic at 28.

According to my trophies list, on PS4, roughly one in three players has not yet completed a Strike. 82% have not yet reached Vanguard Rank 3. Roughly 87% have not yet fully maxed their chosen subclass.

I have had at least one person, every Monday since launch, either from GAF or otherwise that wanted help getting their strike done before the reset.

We are outliers.

my friends list is the opposite, the majority of them have at least two level 28's, anecdotal evidence from both of us, still, you are most likely right with the assertion that we are outliers, i still don't think levelling up to 26 or so requires much time, from there on you can pretty much do as i said, one, maybe two hours a week and that's 18 coins

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
man 18 coins isn't even enough for a primary exotic

i've exhausted myself in this argument

xur is awesome

hawk out

hydruxo

I hope we get more exotics in the future with unique animations like The Last Word has. Probably my favorite thing about this gun lol.

ibjjfJYAERaZj9.gif

Shito

Anyway, it's not that hard to fit in the major weekly events with all 3 characters. I'd say a 7-8hr commitment spread across the entire week isn't that bad. It does vary with skill level though. PEACE.
You have to have 3 characters that are level 28, first...
I've been playing the game 1~4 hours a day since the release, and I only have a 28 hunter and a 26 warlock for the moment. I'm only starting to think about being able to do 2 nighfalls a week. Of course, I could have made 3 hunters and it would have been quicker, but I don't fancy that, and ultimately I want to level up the three classes.
Being able to run 3 nighfalls a week means you are already going hardcore into the game. This is not a common situation at all.

It only becomes easy after pouring a lot of time into the game, at which point it's only normal to being rewarded one way or another for your dedication...

SkylineRKR

Not really joking, and I agree Nightfall/Raid is the best chance at Exotics. But it's a one shot deal that usually ends in disappointment, and the weekend provides one last bastion of hope that Xur is actually selling something I want.

Basically what Hawkian said. it's great that Nightfall gave me Hard Light three weeks ago or whatever, but that weapon sucks and I get energy or shards or coins every other time. Or some Dead Orbit scout rifle. I feel like I've bad better luck with the Raid than most people when I read this thread, but I still haven't been lucky enough to get the exotics I wanted from it. Not like Xur has an exotic I want every week either!

I have a good deal of exotic weapons by this point, as I should for how much I've played, and yes, the majority of them aren't from Xur. We're all just going in circles with the Xur argument though. It's the same discussion every week

I see others talking about getting 3 exotics within a day. I never got a single exotic out of an engram to this day. Red Death and Suros dropped for me, the rest is from Xur and bounties. And I play 3 hrs a day easily.

But on the other hand, I was level 30 after just 3 Raids. Got helm and mythoclast after my first Heroic Raid. I guess everyone has something out of it.

Greenymac

I want to punch you in the teeth so hard right now....

snip...

...different people my guy. besides i very rarely play destiny solo, my squad is competitive and we like to compare what we have. I get that friendly jealousy when my friends find a super awesome gun i've been wanting for ages and it makes me want to play the game more til i get it, same for them.

See, even with Xur... The green eyed monster keeps us playing. Without Xur, things may look so bleak that we just give up.

I want to punch you in the teeth so hard right now....

E92 M3

So, if I purchase the expansion pass now will I get the item they'll be giving out? Or is it too late?

Yes, I think you can still purchase it. Seems like Bungie is just trying to create an incentive.

I hope we get more exotics in the future with unique animations like The Last Word has. Probably my favorite thing about this gun lol.

ibjjfJYAERaZj9.gif

Okay - now I have to buy it. It'll be fun messing around with it. Also jealous of your Purifier VII. As a fusion rifle lover, I want to collect them all.

Servers are being shitty.

Got 1 spot to Run Nightfall, Weekly 28, and maybe the Daily. Using my Alt Titan lvl 27 and got my bro with me.

Hit me up at Nick_or_Dawood on PS4

if not going to Destiny LFG so no biggie :)

The first perk for the Lord High Fixer is increased range when ADS. Then, the last perk you can upgrade is more range. I swear this things is a 3 shot hand sniper rifle.

Pimpwerx

You have to have 3 characters that are level 28, first...
I've been playing the game 1~4 hours a day since the release, and I only have a 28 hunter and a 26 warlock for the moment. I'm only starting to think about being able to do 2 nighfalls a week. Of course, I could have made 3 hunters and it would have been quicker, but I don't fancy that, and ultimately I want to level up the three classes.
Being able to run 3 nighfalls a week means you are already going hardcore into the game. This is not a common situation at all.

It only becomes easy after pouring a lot of time into the game, at which point it's only normal to being rewarded one way or another for your dedication...

Gotcha. I assumed you had 3 characters and just didn't know how to get that part of it done. If it helps, I've found that the more characters you have, the easier it is to get the third one leveled. You can run the nightfall with your highest character and then switch over to the lower one at the end. It'll help make some of those tedious tasks go quicker. Also, prioritizing high-value bounties helped optimize my time. Additionally, I'd also suggest doing the dailies, as the xp boost helps there.

To help level my lower character up, I had my friends carry me through the higher level missions. You can get into a mission if you're 3 levels below the difficulty. Do that and have your fireteam carry you through for the bonus xp. Until they get to level 26 or 27, my characters were little more than mobile checkpoints for my fireteam. I play far more than my doctor buddy, so I make sure I do as much heavy lifting to get him the nightfalls and weeklies early in the week. Hopefully you can find a way to get a third character nightfalling and start reaping the full benefits of the game. I understand your pain though. PEACE.

forrest

formerly nacire
I asked a couple of days ago what the Void Drive contrail looked like due to being unable to find any actual screens or video and the consensus was that it looked like the Timebreaker's contrail. I bought the upgrade today and can confirm that it does not look like the Timebreaker's contrail. It looks just like the other Xur sparrow upgrades, but instead of being bright green, red, or dark blue, it is a bright purple.

yup... seems silly, but I would then have a primary that did void.

Wait... back up a second.

I'm coming into this conversation from the back half, but I just want to make sure there isn't any confusion here. Ignore me if I'm correcting nothing.

The only Void Primary in the game is Atheon's Epilogue, an Assault Rifle that drops off the final boss of the raid.

Thorn, while requiring a lot of Void stuff in it's exotic bounty, only does kinetic (normal) damage.

GhaleonEB

i've addressed this, getting coins in this game is easy: two characters, do the weekly heroic once on each, put coins in the vault, pick it up with the other character, and you're pretty much set for the exotic weapon and it takes like a hour weekly to do this
Your definition of "easy" is to level two characters all the way up, and do the weekly heroic strike with both of them? That's easy?

From my vantage point, that's utterly bonkers.

zewone

I'm coming into this conversation from the back half, but I just want to make sure there isn't any confusion here. Ignore me if I'm correcting nothing.

The only Void Primary in the game is Atheon's Epilogue, an Assault Rifle that drops off the final boss of the raid.

Thorn, while requiring a lot of Void stuff in it's exotic bounty, only does kinetic (normal) damage.

Everything you said is correct. He is saying that if TLW did void damage he would buy it to help him with Thorn.

Axoman

YES! GJALLARHORN! Decided to solo the nightfall on one of my alts and bam there it is. Also, It is now a lock that Xur will sell it today as I have saved up 97 coins waiting for him to sell it.

Awesome man! I should have taken you up on your offer to join!

Are you ready to lead us into a hard raid now?

Your definition of "easy" is to level two characters all the way up, and do the weekly heroic strike with both of them? That's easy?

From my vantage point, that's utterly bonkers.

Weekly heroic is pretty easy fully upgraded and with decent weapons. I realise that initially does take a lot of time and effort though.

deadlast

Yup... I was basically saying (in a round-about way) that I can't justify buying TLW.

LiK

Weekly heroic is pretty easy fully upgraded and with decent weapons. I realise that initially does take a lot of time and effort though.

Yea, if you have two friends who are lvl 29-30, the Weekly lvl 28 isn't that hard. I did NF and Weekly with my lvl 25 Hunter and even tho I died more often than I like, your team can help carry you.

Oh yeah great run and on top of that great fun. If you want to be a part of the normal raid group, youre in. usually on Tuesday or wednesday ill be running two hard raids after the nightfalls. If you ever want a group just message me or ill give you a heads up as to when we will be getting together.

Sounds good brother, would be cool to hit it up with you guys again.

gdt

Any hard raid groups forming? Never done it before.

LVL 29 Hunter with maxed VoC and Corrective Measure, plenty of normal experience.

PS4 gdt5016

TsuWave

The suros regime does not reign supreme in PvP anymore. I don't see how anyone who plays the Crucible even on a remotely regular basis could believe this. It's maybe the easiest good weapon to use in the crucible (MAYBE; I might still have to give that honor to the Galahad-E!), but that's the whole of it. Both of my main builds are not threatened by it.

you are misinterpreting a lot of what i say and you state your experiences as some sort of universal truth. i meant reigns supreme in terms of usage, please refer to the context the sentence was used in. and that is what happens for me. and yes, i play crucible regularly:

tumblr_nf1ifew7oZ1r6mcwfo1_250.png

tumblr_nf1ifew7oZ1r6mcwfo2_1280.png

this is gibberish man. It's like you have no idea how probability operates while at the same time you're asking for more RNG. If you didn't buy your weapon from Xur and the Vex Mythoclast isn't the weapon in question, work and time had NOTHING TO DO with your acquisition of those weapons. It was luck. The Exotic bounties require substantial effort to acquire and provide a just reward, but getting the bounties themselves is RNG.

how is it gibberish, what are you on about? lol i mentioned the luck element of it in my first couple of posts, if i hadn't invested the time/work to play the game i wouldn't have been lucky to get the exotics. I could've gathered coins in a manner that to me is easy and waited for xur weekly.

person A plays game daily, week after week, finally gets weapon X on week 7, happy as fuck after all the grind. person B plays game sparingly, buys the same weapon from xur after it becomes available a few days after person A got it. To me, if i were person A, that would make getting the weapon less rewarding.

sure you also have problems with RNG with the possibility of person A investing all that time/work and getting the weapon and person B getting it straight after booting the game. but we already conceded the reward system needs tweaking so...and i'd still prefer that then it being available through xur. but that's me.

Okay on the other hand buying things with coins is work and time. You put in the effort to have the viable characters for the weekly strikes. You put in the effort to complete them each week. You earned the coins. You choose what you want to spend them on. You obtain your reward. It's like you're arguing the opposite of what you mean in both directions

No i'm not. as I said, you seem too entrenched in arguing your side that you're misinterpreting a lot. This is becoming repetitive and boresome. Getting the characters up and doing weekly for the coins is work yes, I didn't say it wasn't, but it certainly does not require a great amount of effort imo, not to the same extent. Read above and previous posts.

this happens in the destiny we are all playing right now, all the goddamn time -_-

your point being? i didn't say it does not happen, put things into context ffs. he said he doesn't get off on the gear/weapons strangers have, and i said my friends having stuff i don't motivates me to play the game more. Xur selling exotic weapons makes it so its "easier" for everyone of us to have the same stuff and i'd prefer if it wasn't like that.

R0ckman

- I see plenty of weapons in PVP. Lots of TLW in Rumble now, yeah everyone's trying out their new exotic handcannon because it's super fucking cool. Good times.

I agree more with the other guy you quoted now that I read this part. I was looking at a bungie play (I think the one where they revealed that Xur is not random) and when they got into a match, people were like "Oh, I hear the Mythoclast, is that on our team!?" things like that really spice up the match. To hear people quake or change behavior based on a single weapon is interesting.

Everyone and their grandma running around with TLW is not fun or interesting, granted it will probably die down once people find other weapons they prefer more. It's interesting pulling out a cool exotic, and then that may trigger certain things like other people actually having it, and saying "hey, this weapon is not bad", pulling it out and having an exotic showdown with the guy on the other team who has it. This has happened to me several times before. But now everyone's just going to have the gun.

As much as people dislike Xür selling exotics...my trophy list still says on 30% have acquired and equipped a piece of exotic gear. It lists PS3 and PS4 up top so I'm not sure if they are combined but even if it's just PS4, 30% is not that much at all.

Axoman

Nightfall already gives you a high chance at an exotic every week, as does the raid (2 in fact if you can do it on Heroic).

Why is that not enough?

Because not everyone gets exotic drops. I've done at least 6-7 Nightfalls, 3 raid clears and not have a single exotic weapon drop.

I've got over 7 days worth of time in the game and I've not gotten a single exotic weapon drop through any activity I've done.

I have 5 exotic weapons, 4 from bounties and I bought the Truth from Xur. I have not been blessed to ever have any drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom