• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

I'd just really like it if we could try to bear in mind that the average player of Destiny is closer on the spectrum to GhaleonEB in terms of their progression than to the average poster in this thread. I know it might not seem like the case if this thread is the majority of the Destiny contact/community you experience, but it is.

Far from attempting to interpret Xur's impact solely through anecdote or assert my claims to be universal truth, I (and THE GREY CARDINAL) posted statistics on the overall playerbase to support them. I also offered some simple statements of fact (completing 2 weekly heroic strikes at level 28 does not yield enough coins for an exotic primary). However, as I said before even though I was having fun when I started I've completely exhausted myself on this argument, so I concede and will call it a matter of opinion.

Keep in mind that there are sub-playerbases within the overall destiny palyerbase. What type of players play pvp constantly (there is clearly a base that wants nothing to do with pvp)? What type of pvp player consider things like weapon and armor setups? Are these the majority of the players in pvp?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Everyone sounds like they should be entitled to exotics. The game doesn't owe you any drops. This is Bungie's fault for making the game too casual.

Good games reward time and effort, gaming psychology is not a new field:

http://www.thinkfeelplay.com/theory-of-gaming-motivation/

Bungie has twisted it a little bit by adding a good (over?) dose of RNG to it.

Everybody having an exotic makes it not quite as exotic? Yeah, I'll agree with that, but we are not the typical Destiny players so it's a little skewed over here.

Besides, I'm beginning to think having a solid line up of Legendaries is where you really want to be. The tag line is "Become Legend" not "Become Exotic" ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually enjoy it a great deal solo, but this raises the other reason I prefer to play Destiny solo, so far. When I have a poor experience, the majority of the time it's because other players are in the mix, particularly higher level players. When I was say level 20 and got paired with level 25+ guys, it utterly ruined the experience. I felt like their little kid brother running around trying to help out as they mopped the floor with everyone. Not fun. Likewise, doing patrols or public events and having those guys rumble through and just annihilate everything. When I play I make a point to avoid overlapping with lower level players so as to not poach on their encounters (aside from public events where we all chip in).

Other than the time slots I have to play, I've actually had a bias for playing solo, because I've been leveling much more slowly than you guys. Once the level spread in characters gets over 2, it's really hard for it to be enjoyable. I alternate between feeling like a fifth wheel, totally inconsequential to the battles or I am cowering behind a rock, under-equipped for what I'm up against. The latter is better now that my gear is up to snuff (I finish about half the strikes without dying), but the leveling system really drives a wedge between players. Once I'm caught up to level 28 or so, I'll make more of an effort to get into the mix with you guys.
My Titan is level 12, I'd be happy to be a useless cog in your fireteam sometime! xD
This is Bungie's fault for making the game too casual.
And here we hit upon the crux of it. Please pay attention to the content of Ghaleon's posts. He is actually more like the majority of the playerbase than we are. If Destiny is too casual for you in its current form

I personally could not tolerate it being "more hardcore," even slightly. I will never have the time, desire, or need to complete 3 Heroic Strikes, 3 Nightfalls, and 3 Heroic Raids per week. It's just not going to happen. Once the first DLC hits and there will be another raid to hit weekly, I'm going to have to prioritize and intentionally not do some things I want to just for the sake of practicality. And so on with future releases.

Note that I'm not saying anything close to "the game having enough content." Obviously it needs more; and more to choose from would and will make it a better game. But I will have to choose, and I'm still an extreme outlier compared to the average player, and plenty of people here play even more than I do.

The version of Destiny you're crafting in your head would have already lost me as a player. That certainly might not seem like much of anything. Just one player. But I have a feeling there are others.
OT11| Filthy Casuls
:-/ Early frontrunner. We passed the 1/4 mark yesterday btw.
Keep in mind that there are sub-playerbases within the overall destiny palyerbase. What type of players play pvp constantly (there is clearly a base that wants nothing to do with pvp)? What type of pvp player consider things like weapon and armor setups? Are these the majority of the players in pvp?
I'm sure I'm just missing your point here, sorry- can you clarify?

Everyone sounds like they should be entitled to exotics. The game doesn't owe you any drops. This is Bungie's fault for making the game too casual.

It's not about being entitled to exotics but outside of the raid and nightfall the rate of drops for exotics and legendaries is way too low and waiting once a week just to get a chance at a good drop is just stupid

So Xur is selling The Last Word and I'm still on the fence if I should grab it or not. I'm not hurting for coins so that's not a problem.

I primarily use HCs in both PvE and PvP and so an exotic HC is very appealing to me but I'm so accustomed to getting those precision shots via ADS that I'm worried that the change to focusing on hip fire will be jarring enough that it won't be worth it.

Do any of you that primarily use HCs recommend TLW?

Heel

There's almost no one on when I get on (late evening west coast), and I play for short enough windows that I don't want to sit and wait for strikes and games to finish up.

I actually enjoy it a great deal solo, but this raises the other reason I prefer to play Destiny solo, so far. When I have a poor experience, the majority of the time it's because other players are in the mix, particularly higher level players. When I was say level 20 and got paired with level 25+ guys, it utterly ruined the experience. I felt like their little kid brother running around trying to help out as they mopped the floor with everyone. Not fun. Likewise, doing patrols or public events and having those guys rumble through and just annihilate everything. When I play I make a point to avoid overlapping with lower level players so as to not poach on their encounters (aside from public events where we all chip in).

Other than the time slots I have to play, I've actually had a bias for playing solo, because I've been leveling much more slowly than you guys. Once the level spread in characters gets over 2, it's really hard for it to be enjoyable. I alternate between feeling like a fifth wheel, totally inconsequential to the battles or I am cowering behind a rock, under-equipped for what I'm up against. The latter is better now that my gear is up to snuff (I finish about half the strikes without dying), but the leveling system really drives a wedge between players. Once I'm caught up to level 28 or so, I'll make more of an effort to get into the mix with you guys.

I can understand not wanting to be carried to the finish line. Teaming up with 2 other players that are within a level of you makes the experience much less of a slog, in which you all have a chance to equally contribute.

Destiny becomes more of a social tool when you're chatting it up with friends. "Farming" becomes mindless background noise for the discussion, making it much less of a chore than it clearly is.

The game has been pretty good at matchmaking me with similarly leveled players in strikes, too. Maybe you had some bad luck?

zewone

Good games reward time and effort, gaming psychology is not a new field:

http://www.thinkfeelplay.com/theory-of-gaming-motivation/

Bungie has twisted it a little bit by adding a good (over?) dose of RNG to it.

Having put in a ton of hours into Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance looking for a Valmanway drop, Bungie didn't invent RNG.

Maybe RNG is a new phenomenon for some people because this is probably the most successful loot game ever made.

Rubenov

So Xur is selling The Last Word and I'm still on the fence if I should grab it or not. I'm not hurting for coins so that's not a problem.

If you're not hurting for coins then by all means grab it. They won't be selling apartments at the Tower anytime soon, so what else would you use the pile of coins for?

k1t4j

Hey guys I have a 28 Titan and a 29 hunter that need Normal raid.

I am open to do hard raid as well, on the hunter, I have Maxed raid weapons (AE,PR,HV)

Let me know if anyone here needs an extra player :)

Thanks!

zewone

The version of Destiny you're crafting in your head would have already lost me as a player. That certainly might not seem like much of anything. Just one player. But I have a feeling there are others.

Sorry to say that I'd rather have a better game than one the bends over backwards to make sure Joe Blow is having a good time.

It's not about being entitled to exotics but outside of the raid and nightfall the rate of drops for exotics and legendaries is way too low and waiting once a week just to get a chance at a good drop is just stupid

I do agree that if drops are going to be regulated to once a week, the garbage drops (shards, energy, coins) should not be in the pool.

I think weekly lockouts are a lazy design choice in any game.

Rubenov

They might introduce a new purpose for them + DLC items.

Yeah... but still that's several weeks away, and why deprive yourself of an exotic to save up for something we don't know what might entail? I will likely be saving 30-40 coins just in case, but anything beyond that and I'll be spending them on exotics I want, and those that I'm on the fence about.

When I have a poor experience, the majority of the time it's because other players are in the mix, particularly higher level players. When I was say level 20 and got paired with level 25+ guys, it utterly ruined the experience. I felt like their little kid brother running around trying to help out as they mopped the floor with everyone.

There's a gif for that back from my days of playing Diablo.

LiK

Hawk, I'm gonna jump into my lvl 14 Warlock tonight. Lemme know if you wanna do some lvling up tonight with your Titan

Having put in a ton of hours into Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance looking for a Valmanway drop, Bungie didn't invent RNG.

Maybe RNG is a new phenomenon for some people because this is probably the most successful loot game ever made.

Just because people don't agree with you it doesn't mean they have no experience with loot games or feel "entitled" to good loot

R0ckman

My Titan is level 12, I'd be happy to be a useless cog in your fireteam sometime! xD

And here we hit upon the crux of it. Please pay attention to the content of Ghaleon's posts. He is actually more like the majority of the playerbase than we are. If Destiny is too casual for you in its current form

I personally could not tolerate it being "more hardcore," even slightly. I will never have the time, desire, or need to complete 3 Heroic Strikes, 3 Nightfalls, and 3 Heroic Raids per week. It's just not going to happen. Once the first DLC hits and there will be another raid to hit weekly, I'm going to have to prioritize and intentionally not do some things I want to just for the sake of practicality. And so on with future releases.

Note that I'm not saying anything close to "the game having enough content." Obviously it needs more; and more to choose from would and will make it a better game. But I will have to choose, and I'm still an extreme outlier compared to the average player, and plenty of people here play even more than I do.

:-/ Early frontrunner. We passed the 1/4 mark yesterday btw.

I'm sure I'm just missing your point here, sorry- can you clarify?

I meant, its not just simply a question of does everyone in destiny now have the exotics that Xur sales? It's more of a question of do all or the majority of players who spend most of their time in pvp have the weapons Xur sales? I'm not constantly playing pvp so I wouldn't know.

Zakalwe

Banned
If TLW starts overtaking shotguns in rumble...I'm all for it. At least TLW requires some strategy and finesse to use.

The last part of your comment is the reason why it won't.

It'll be fun running into the occasional player who knows how to use it properly, though. They were far too rare before.

Deku Tree

I hate when players boost kills off me. I unload my whole clip into some enemy and their down to a sliver of life and then someone behind me just rolls up while I'm reloading and hits a headshot and steals my kill.

GhaleonEB

I can understand not wanting to be carried to the finish line. Teaming up with 2 other players that are within a level of you makes the experience much less of a slog, in which you all have a chance to equally contribute.

Destiny becomes more of a social tool when you're chatting it up with friends. "Farming" becomes mindless background noise for the discussion, making it much less of a chore than it clearly is.

The game has been pretty good at matchmaking me with similarly leveled players in strikes, too. Maybe you had some bad luck?

I found the strike matchmaking to get a lot better as I leveled up. Once I hit level 22 or so, I'm with people 1-2 levels over or under me about 90% of the time. It's a lot better.

zewone

Just because people don't agree with you it doesn't mean they have no experience with loot games or feel "entitled" to good loot

I have just never understood people's problem with RNG in a loot game. It's sort of the basis of it.

If the drops weren't random, it would just be another adventure game or in Destiny's case another FPS.

blazeuk

I apologise for the wording, but yeah, it was/is for me, to get to a level where i could to the weekly. i don't think levelling up to 26/28 in destiny is that hard, the grind truly started to get to level 30. and i solo most "weeklies" in 20 minutes or less but i see it could be different for other people so again, sorry for the wording.

i'll leave this alone because its dragging and derailing the thread. Anyways I'd prefer a system in which xur didn't sell exotics, and i'm not alone as evidenced by the guy i first quoted, but plenty people are content with how it is so fair enough.

Can't say I agree, the grind to level 20 is absolutely terrible on an alt, you're forced into completing the same shitty missions over again without being able to skip any cutscenes. I managed to jump from 20 to 25 instantly and then I'm now up to 27. The push to 30 I'm still trying to do on my main character, that feels far less of a grind and more of a frustrating system of pure luck but I'm not putting in hours into it to do it, simply completing the raid once a week hoping to get a piece of armour.

I used to think they should keep exotics a little more exclusive before everyone ended up with the Suros Regime, but having been on a streak of bad RNG luck it would be stupid locking weapons behind it, it's just pure luck in the end, there's plenty of people deserving of exotic weapons who haven't received a single one through RNG and have been forced into using Xur. I also think armour that can reach level 30 should be purchasable too, even if it's locked behind some raid faction.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I meant, its not just simply a question of does everyone in destiny now have the exotics that Xur sales? It's more of a question of do all or the majority of players who spend most of their time in pvp have the weapons Xur sales? I'm not constantly playing pvp so I wouldn't know.
I still think I'm sort of missing what you're driving at, but to answer your questions: the vast majority of players in Destiny do not have every exotic Xur sells; the subgroup that spends most of their time in PvP and thus earns fewer coins will be an even smaller percentage.
The last part of your comment is the reason why it won't.

It'll be fun running into the occasional player who knows how to use it properly, though. They were far too rare before.
Some of my best experiences in the Crucible so far have been coming up against someone who was a skilled user of TLW, while wielding Thorn. For the rest of the match as far as I was concerned they were the only ones I cared about killing. Win or lose, those fights were so intense.

zewone

I still think I'm sort of missing what you're driving at, but to answer your questions: the vast majority of players in Destiny do not have every exotic Xur sells; the subgroup that spends most of their time in PvP and thus earns fewer coins will be an even smaller percentage.

Coin drops are pretty frequent from PVP, either as a direct reward for finishing or from any of the blue engrams that are constantly rewarded.

Qwell

To an extent I actually prefer to play solo, or at least with my Mic on mute. My PS4 is in my office with my computer right next to it, so often when I'm playing I'm watching a movie or TV show and I don't want to distract the others with my background noise. I've been doing that for years now, started the whole thing when I would play WoW, it was a great game to watch movies / tv to :)

With the raid I definitely stop the tv / movies as talking is important in parts, but for farming .... sorry I'm antisocial and would rather not talk :(

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Oh, I know, I played that game too and never got that drop. Played lots of Diablo, got tonnes of loot and the drops I wanted, but still used the Auction House when it was still around to buy stuff I wanted too.

I guess what I'm saying is when you have a game where the hardest challenges can reward you with nothing but ascendant materials (LOL :( ), you need something to balance that, and I think Xur is that balance. Even then, you have to raid to get to 30 and that is pure RNG. Period. Even with the upcoming Iron Banner.

If you leave it solely up to RNG, by the nature of probability, you alienate a portion of your playerbase. Not smart if you want them to keep playing so you can keep making money. Basic game reward theory.

RNG is not the problem. For example there is certain loot I can only get by beating the raid. I have to wait an entire week to get loot from atheon. I've beaten atheon 18 times and all I've gotten is timebreakers (8 of them), shards, aspect of glass(5 of them) and Chatterwhite. I can Understand RNG has been shitty for me but to wait an entire week and keep getting the same crap is frustrating. If the game had a system where I could do a raid daily and have a chance at loot then I wouldn't mind as much but it's the waiting a week that frustrates me. The problem with destiny is there isn't enough content or variety and the loot table is too small.

Actually, I think you put it better than I did.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have just never understood people's problem with RNG in a loot game. It's sort of the basis of it.

If the drops weren't random, it would just be another adventure game or in Destiny's case another FPS.

It doesn't matter in Destiny.

If there were a persistent world with hundreds of players where you could mingle and show off your rare items, then I would understand why you'd pine for that.

In a game where we're confined to tiny instances with strangers or playing with a few friends it doesn't bother me at all.

Let everyone have everything, I probably won't even know what 9/10 people in the tower are using. Pvp will always be diverse as people have different tastes, and high end pvp will always call for specific weapons for specific things.

Oh shit.

RNG is not the problem. For example there is certain loot I can only get by beating the raid. I have to wait an entire week to get loot from atheon. I've beaten atheon 18 times and all I've gotten is timebreakers (8 of them), shards, aspect of glass(5 of them) and Chatterwhite. I can Understand RNG has been shitty for me but to wait an entire week and keep getting the same crap is frustrating. If the game had a system where I could do a raid daily and have a chance at loot then I wouldn't mind as much but it's the waiting a week that frustrates me. The problem with destiny is there isn't enough content or variety and the loot table is too small.

That's why they put the weekly limitation on it

If you're not hurting for coins then by all means grab it. They won't be selling apartments at the Tower anytime soon, so what else would you use the pile of coins for?

Ahh, I tend to have more fun kitting out a speeder with those contrail/speed boosts... but you're right, I should probably grab. If for nothing else than have it for one of my other characters whenever I get around to finally making them. hah

Handcannons account for the majority of my kills across all modes.

I have HM, TLW, TDYK, LHF, V3

Should you buy it?

Absolutely.

Absolutely love that gun. Just got my second one that has even better upgrade options than the one I'm currently using, so I'm excited to max it out.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I hate when players boost kills off me. I unload my whole clip into some enemy and their down to a sliver of life and then someone behind me just rolls up while I'm reloading and hits a headshot and steals my kill.

LOL, I do this all the time, (I'm sorry!), and then get all uppity when it happens to me.

Navid

Got a question for those who go a bit in depth in terms of stat calculations and such, is there a set incremental increase to armour stat rolls (I'm talking about the int/disc/str ones) every time you upgrade them..?

For example if I have un-upgraded VoG gloves with 41 discipline and 42 strength, is there a way to figure out what those stats will be once you fully upgrade them?

I'm glad they are testing out team chat because I'm either yelling at people to come get the heavy ammo that dropped or telling them to wait for the team but can't and interprative dance isn't cutting it.

CLBridges

Picked up TLW from Xur and one of those Hand Cannon telemetry things. Used it a bit during the daily and it's very fun to use and the animations for it are pretty cool. I always look forward to Xur coming now because I can buy a 5-pack heavy ammo synthesis for 1 strange coin, I'm so stocked up with those atm lol. I never understand people during the raid when they go "I'm out of heavy ammo packs, go to tower". Please people, use 3 or 4 strange coins for the heavy ammo packs and you'll be set for a good while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom