• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

I've done the raid about 4 times now. My problem is it feels like I'm constantly missing something. Such as oracle killing. Or "training" while holding the relic. On PS4 I hold the relic, jump in the air, R2 slam and repeat and hope things die. Should I be pressing R1 after (basic swing attack) after slamming or using R1 to "run" from attacks?

And what's a good gun for getting through the oracles? I'm using the Shadow Price and my golden gun (with 4 shots). Shadow Price is okay, but I usually empty a clip without breaking an oracle. It's annoying sometimes.

Jump+R2 is the best for damage and has AoE as well, so it's what I spam the most by far. You really never need to use R1 if you place your R2's in good places. R1 is really situational, if you are going against a hobgoblin who is charging his gun, you won't have time to jump+r2 without being sniped, but R1 will dash towards them much quicker for the interrupt. Keep in mind that you don't need to let your jump reach full hieght before you press R2, you can press it immediately after jump for a more instant ground-pound.

Any machine gun is great against the oracles, especially Corrective Measure. If you're having problems dropping them, use an AR or HMG. Scout rifles and handcannons can get the job done in hard but aren't as fast as AR/HMG. Make sure you upgrade the damage on these guns to drop them even quicker. If you're running a titan, you can place down weapons of light upon being teleported and you'll melt the first few oracles like butter.

Regarding the "R1 for running from attacks"- you can use this, but you should be pretty offensive with the relic. IMO with the relic, offense is the best defense. The only time I run from attacks with the relic is when I'm leaving the gatekeeper portals, and you can jump and spam R1 to air dash, but it does leave you pretty vulnerable to fire from ads.

DryvBy

R2 on the ground with the relic is a sweet rush attack that seems to stagger foes. What I do is rush in, jump above a group of enemies, R2 to slam down (try to hit every enemy with this if you can) then use R2 on the ground to clean up the remnants. The minotaur on Venus is the toughest foe in the portals and most likely to kill you quickly (especially if you're below 28) so be wary of him. As far as killing the oracles go, Golden Gun is amazing, as is Corrective Measure or Vision Of Confluence (both weapons attained during the Raid with Oracle damage bonuses). Other than that, whatever your highest DPS weapon is will be best.

Perfect information. I was't cleaning the ground that way. I'm very confident with the relic on Normal but on Hard... egad, I could barely hang onto it.

TP-DK

Level 30 Hard raid; looking for 1 more Level 30 (all 29 spots full); 11 Nov @0830 EST. So far we got:

1. Rubenov25 (Level 30 Warlock)
2. noomi85 (Level 30 Hunter)
3. DekuBleep (Level 30 Warlock)
4. Darknyss (Level 30 Warlock)
5. Redman_DK (Level 29 ?)
6. sandboxgod (Level 29 Titan)

I will send out FRs later today.

Edit: Full.

Cool, I'm a hunter btw forgot to say that.

And I'm correct in thinking it will be 14:30 in gmt right?

realcZk

How's that level 9 warlock doing?

I got my alt titan up to 20 last night finally. What a grind.

Hey sorry I forgot to reply last night, got distracted and then was too late to play anymore. Pretty good, can't wait to get into the 20s with it and raid. The grind is brutal isn't it? lol

But the deaths mostly happened after we've been shooting at Atheon. Those that didn't get teleported the second time had to fight with the detain while seeing the 6 supplicants fly right over to you. Even if you were fast at removing the detain it would still be too late, and you'd still get raped in the butt by the supplicants before you could move away to safety.

Put someone on Supplicant duty while you're in the middle. There should never be 6 ready and waiting for you after Time's Vengeance ends.

SkylineRKR

Yep. I only do it as backup since I do most DPS as 30, but its incredibly easy for a hunter tot take out all of them.

Perfect information. I was't cleaning the ground that way. I'm very confident with the relic on Normal but on Hard... egad, I could barely hang onto it.

Hard is a bitch. Hobs two shot my lvl 30. When they're spread out... i could be fucked. We usually arrange for a rocket launcher from someone who joins the oracle killing a bit later. for minotaur its focus fire on him before shield carrier jumps in. Shield carrier can offset this a bit by one shotting an oracle with a well placed super.

ocean

Banned
Hard is a bitch. Hobs two shot my lvl 30. When they're spread out... i could be fucked. We usually arrange for a rocket launcher from someone who joins the oracle killing a bit later. for minotaur its focus fire on him before shield carrier jumps in.
I always pop a rocket at the Praetorian on Venus before the first oracle spawns. It gives the relic carrier a far higher chance of survival.

Deku Tree

Level 30 Hard raid; looking for 1 more Level 30 (all 29 spots full); 11 Nov @0830 EST. So far we got:

Perfect! I'll definately be on by about 8:30pm est tomorrow but I also definately won't be on until then... So please wait for me. Looking forward to knocking it out. Gotta do two hard raids this week with my two 30 warlocks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*yawn*
You should be able to buy mats with Glimmer. What else would you spend it on. I can only buy so much synthesis!
Transmutation really is the perfect sink for Glimmer. There are so many looks I wish I could use and I realllly hate the raid gauntlets on my Hunter...
Hawkmoon Question:

What´s the difference between "Hammer forged" and " Send it"?

wGIihNa.png

lVWLsi1.png
When you look at these mods on any gun, you have to remember that they aren't giving a description of how they work relative to each other, but relative to baseline, So before you've unlocked that column at all, Hammer Forged is a notable boost to range and accuracy. However, Send It is a slightly better boost to range in accuracy- a big one over baseline, but only a little better than Hammer Forged.

Send It is a great mod to look for on any gun btw.
Because a female wizard and a witch are not the same thing.
Stupid harry potter!
Man, so much salt and hyperbole on the "Destiny 2 months after release" thread. Sure the game has it's faults but damn... This image on there sums things up:
yK4WK9k.png
Yeah, I'm not touching that topic.
The game is guilty of a lot of things, but the fact that we already are at OT10 speaks volume about its qualities.
But, hey, it's internet, and it's life: things have to be either white or black...
I love that thread, it has so many posts already ahahahah

It reminds me of so many.... soo many Guild Wars 2 threads on gaming side over its first two years of release, another game which I love and is decidedly less popular here on GAF than Destiny (despite universally higher critical acclaim).

I'm not totally sure on the value of a thread like that, no offense at all intended to earvcunanan. The likelihood of getting a legitimate dialogue on the game's pros and cons isn't too high- for potential new players, all of the negativity might be a little off-putting and I'd like GAF's Destiny community to be relatively welcoming to newcomers.... as much as a group this large is able to be welcoming, anyway. It's easy to walk away from that thread with the sense that consensus on GAF is that Destiny sucks and isn't worth the money, but as I hopefully explained well enough at the end of OT9... GAF's not really putting its money where its mouth is on that.

It is entertaining from a psychological perspective for sure. If you view the forum as one entity with many voices (which obviously it isn't- it's a collective of individuals) Destiny has probably produced more cognitive dissonance than any other release in history; at least during my time watching the industry.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just solo'do the fallen walker event on ember caves. I didn't realze the events show up if you are alone. Maybe I wasnt... Not sure.

According to Destinypublicevents.com, public events are less likely to occur when you're by yourself, but are still possible.

I can attest to this -- even one other person on the map definitely increases the chances.

Trakan

Transmutation really is the perfect sink for Glimmer.

While that's a feature I'd love to see implemented, with how Destiny has gone so far, I never see them doing it. Plus I doubt they'd want people to rock 4 pieces of exotic gear cosmetically.

Rubenov

Perfect! I'll definately be on by about 8:30pm est tomorrow but I also definately won't be on until then... So please wait for me. Looking forward to knocking it out. Gotta do two hard raids this week with my two 30 warlocks.

Ahhh Deku it's at 0830am. Figured most are off tomorrow due to holiday. Do we need to open up your spot?

Tried Hard raid with my crew Last night. We couldnt go past the defend left and right confluxes. Left side is Just crzy impossible. All six were lv 29.

I think the problem is either our positioning or our weapons. Im going with maxed suros, maxed supremacy and maxed swarm. I can swap suros with maxed vision and swarm with truth tho. Should i?

My friends are not as well equipped.

Any tips, gaf?

realcZk

hunters are magic in pvp, what is it about hunters, just the agility? golden gun? i dunno but ive started pvping more with my hunter and its great
defender is so strong in pvp but with my aggressive playstyle i tend to benefit more with my gunslinger

lvl 30 titan defender pvp stats

lvl 29 hunter gunslinger stats

thank you based Thorn

Jito

Banned
Yeah, I'm not touching that topic.
The game is guilty of a lot of things, but the fact that we already are at OT10 speaks volume about its qualities.
But, hey, it's internet, and it's life: things have to be either white or black...

Man, so much salt and hyperbole on the "Destiny 2 months after release" thread. Sure the game has it's faults but damn... This image on there sums things up:

yK4WK9k.png

Except if either of you looked at the thread you'd seen plenty of people actually discussing the problems with game and saying they enjoy aspects of it, it's not just all bashing. But hey, I guess you can bury your heads in the sand if you want.

I'll honor my first OT 10 post with the moment where I mentally willed Rahool into giving me a Gjallarhorn. As soon as I saw that I picked up a legendary heavy engram, I told myself, "This is going to decrypt into a ballerhorn." I even warmed Rahool up with a nice simple blue engram to make sure the wolf pack rounds wouldn't hurt coming out. I am still so stoked. I can't wait to relive this moment with The Last Word and Hawkmoon, hopefully, in the not too distant future.
EQL7v64.jpg

noomi

Awesome, thanks. Really looking forward to this, we will do awesome ;) Will keep an eye out for that friend request later today.

realcZk

I'll honor my first OT 10 post with the moment where I mentally willed Rahool into giving me a Gjallarhorn. As soon as I saw that I picked up a legendary heavy engram, I told myself, "This is going to decrypt into a ballerhorn." I even warmed Rahool up with a nice simple blue engram to make sure the wolf pack rounds wouldn't hurt coming out. I am still so stoked. I can't wait to relive this moment with The Last Word and Hawkmoon, hopefully, in the not too distant future.

i envy you so much

enjoy the ballerhorn man, think of us less fortunate when you fire it

Wooohoo!

Got my warlock to Level 23! He joins my Level 30 Titan and Level 29 Hunter. He won't be ready for nightfall and raid by tomorrow's reset but he should be good by the next one.

3 chances at disappointment a week!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, so if I want a Thorn, I need to hope and pray that I get a thing in the mail after turning in a bounty? And then do a quest chain? At least it doesn't sound too bad, I use voidwalker in PVP so void damage is no problem. I just really wish I had a good handcannon, it's all I used while leveling and now I'm stuck with an AR or scout rifle. Both of which I found in the crucible. I use the AR in there but it feels like every time I go up against someone in a fair fight with it, I end up dead to a 'suros regime'. Like everybody has that thing.

On that subject I've been doing dramatically better in PVP since I equipped a shotgun and cranked my look sensitivity way up. I was bottom of the list almost every match, but my first match with a shotgun I was #1. That trend didn't continue unfortunately but overall I'm doing much better.

I'm a sliver away from 25 - I've found two legendaries so far, a hat and a rocket launcher. Got level 20 blues in all other slots except gloves, which are 19. Gotta farm up some materials to upgrade my hat further, helium is annoying.

I'm still a ways off from being able to buy any legendaries. Man that's a lot of rep to grind. I'm not sure what pieces to look for either, I guess you focus on getting legendary pieces for slots you don't put exotics in, right? What exotic armor pieces do most pvp voidwalkers and pve sunsingers use?
You haven't been using a Faction class item yet, right? Getting to Vanguard Rank 2, and then 3 for weapons, isn't quite as bad as it seems- do a few daily bounties every day and especially the "6 patrol missions on whatever planet" (patrols get you rep while doing them, especially "kill the target") missions. The daily story mission and Weekly Heroic strikes (you can do the level 22 one, at the least) get you chunks of rep too. if you can get to 25, I'd be happy to even carry you through the Nightfall today sometime which is worth 500 rep. Are you doing Crucible too? You could buy your first armor piece from there if you hit rank 2 with them first.

You can only equip one exotic armor piece at a time. So you'll want to buy your first legendary armor piece for a slot you can't fill with an exotic. There are multiple viable Warlock exotic pieces though- just about all of them are viable. For now, just worry about your light progression.

When you have the Marks, the Vanguard and Crucible hand cannons, The Devil You Know and Lord High Fixer, are both superb.

TP-DK

Ahhh Deku it's at 0830am. Figured most are off tomorrow due to holiday. Do we need to open up your spot?

My god I feel so stupid with these timezones. We agree that from the time I post this there are 22 and a half hour untill the raid right? Give or take 10 min.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tried Hard raid with my crew Last night. We couldnt go past the defend left and right confluxes. Left side is Just crzy impossible. All six were lv 29.

I think the problem is either our positioning or our weapons. Im going with maxed suros, maxed supremacy and maxed swarm. I can swap suros with maxed vision and swarm with truth tho. Should i?

Any tips, gaf?

If you aren't using rockets, then you're doing it wrong.

The only tip, and I really don't mean to be obnoxious, is to not suck, or "git gud". Level 29s are totally fine for that part (it's not until the end do 29s present a little bit of a challenge). You don't have to be well equipped, meaning you don't all need ghorns. Just be using maxed weapons and use maxed rockets. After being out for 2 months, that is not a high bar. Not even sure maxed weapons are needed for that part actually, I forget what level those mobs are.

realcZk

Any tips, gaf?

With six 29s, it can be pretty tough, so I would try adjusting your positioning on the conflux part, and tell your friends to not be worried about conserving heavy ammo during that stage, let 'em rip. You want to drop them as soon as you can hit them so they don't get close enough to overrun you.

Here's a map of some excellent positioning that will give your team line of sights to the enemy spawn points. If you can control the enemies as soon as they spawn you shouldn't have as many surprises :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2lag5o/vog_conflux_defense_positioning/

Also, when the Templar summons his legions, you can run to the spirit bloom cave to stay safe while you pick off the Fnatics and Harpys.

Any tips, gaf?

Go back to orbit and reload the checkpoint. We had that happen and even multiple 30's couldn't deal with it. Were stuck for about an hour. We went back to orbit and came back and the next time was fine. We beat it like 10 minutes later.

Tawpgun

A hunter can take out supplicants incredibly fast during time's vengeance with infinite supers.
I'm a hunter, and this is what I do. Especially necessary on hard mode.

At around 4 seconds left in times vengeance I hope out, and golden gun the harpies all around us so people can leave safely.

i envy you so much

enjoy the ballerhorn man, think of us less fortunate when you fire it

If it makes you feel any better, Bjallerhorn has been a cruel tease for a long time for me. A month ago, when I first carried my two friends through their first ever nightfall, this happened.
lHeIieKl.jpg

Both of them got it at the same time! I was so jelly. Neither of them has even fully leveled it yet! It is like watching someone dump out a plate of food with a starving kid watching. I scolded them both and they are now leveling their horns. Most of all because we are finally running raids.

Shito

Except if either of you looked at the thread you'd seen plenty of people actually discussing the problems with game and saying they enjoy aspects of it, it's not just all bashing. But hey, I guess you can bury your heads in the sand if you want.
I've read the first 500 posts, which consisted of a vast majority of people going all "worst game of the year, such a disappointment, tarnished my view of Bungie forever" hyperbole and all. There were a few people saying what most of us have been saying about the game in these threads, for sure, but they were not "plenty".
Maybe now it's a bit better, I don't know, but you can't argue that the majority of the initial reactions to the thread were less than good.
Also, that smartass comment at the end of your post was rather useless. Doesn't really help a good and cool-headed discussion...

realcZk

If it makes you feel any better, Bjallerhorn has been a cruel tease for a long time for me. A month ago, when I first carried my two friends through their first ever nightfall, this happened.
lHeIieKl.jpg

Both of them got it at the same time! I was so jelly. Neither of them has even fully leveled it yet! It is like watching someone dump out a plate of food with a starving kid watching. I scolded them both and they are now leveling their horns. Most of all because we are finally running raids.

haha wow! that's pretty awesome. always good to have a group of friends with the ballerhorn, it's definitely a big help to the raid group. one guy in our raid group has had it forever and it's awesome. he got it AGAIN during a nightfall with us :p

GutZ31

On the topic of "Can you or can't you shoot a rocket from inside the relic shield", I can say with certainty, that you indeed can.

BUT
Should you?

Tested a bunch of different positions in the bubble, and found that you can clip the edge of the relic shield on the holders arms, as noted by another gaffer.
Another issue is the only safe place to shoot from is pretty far forward, meaning any splash damage on the floor would likely take you out, or cause you to be a liability.
If the shield user turns in a way that a corner of his shield is aimed near the front of a rockets mussel, you can expect to see death early.

Splash damage from atheon over the surface of the shield did not seem to effect rockets exiting it.
But I suspect more testing could prove otherwise if done in hard mode.

Summery;

Shooting rockets out of the relic shield is possible, but in most cases, a bad idea.

realcZk

On the topic of "Can you or can't you shoot a rocket from inside the relic shield", I can say with certainty, that you indeed can.

BUT
Should you?

Tested a bunch of different positions in the bubble, and found that you can clip the edge of the shield, as noted by another gaffer.
Another issue is the only safe place to shoot from is pretty far forward, meaning any splash damage on the floor would likely take you out, or cause you to be a liability.
If the shield user turns in a way that a corner of his shield is aimed near the front of a rockets mussel, you can expect to see death early.

Splash damage from atheon over the surface of the shield did not seem to effect rockets exiting it.
But I suspect more testing could prove otherwise if done in hard mode.

Summery;

Shooting rockets out of the relic shield is possible, but in most cases, a bad idea.

It's always scary! One of our raid group guys with a ballerhorn just jumps vertically out of the bubble to fire the rockets, but it always makes me nervous. He tries to time it between Atheon's bursts and he hasn't died yet, so...

commish

It's always scary! One of our raid group guys with a ballerhorn just jumps vertically out of the bubble to fire the rockets, but it always makes me nervous. He tries to time it between Atheon's bursts and he hasn't died yet, so...

It's such a bad idea. If someone was doing that on hard, I'd knife them. It's so easy for someone to get in your way by accident. Also played with a titan who kept putting his shield over us after 5 seconds. STOP THAT.

Deku Tree

I think if your rocket hits one of atheons blasts right outside the relic shield it blows up right away and causes rocket splash damage that goes back inside the relic shield and kills you. At that point in the fight Atheon is really punding the relic bubble with blasts so... Not sure though. Haven't tested it myself or heard about anyone else doing it.

This is what I was going to ask. I have been ice breaking from inside the shield, but once I get the horn leveled I want to start using rockets. What is the safest/most effective place to unload rockets on Atheon from?

Rubenov

3. v1br4t1ons (Level 30 Warlock)

Updated roster. 0830am EST / 1330pm GMT

commish

This is what I was going to ask. I have been ice breaking from inside the shield, but once I get the horn leveled I want to start using rockets. What is the safest/most effective place to unload rockets on Atheon from?

You don't have to be in the shield. Go anywhere else. Just avoid the supplicants and if you get Atheon aggro, hide. If I don't go in middle, I just clear one side of supplicants and stay there.

Jito

Banned
I've read the first 500 posts, which consisted of a vast majority of people going all "worst game of the year, such a disappointment, tarnished my view of Bungie forever" hyperbole and all. There were a few people saying what most of us have been saying about the game in these threads, for sure, but they were not "plenty".
Maybe now it's a bit better, I don't know, but you can't argue that the majority of the initial reactions to the thread were less than good.
Also, that smartass comment at the end of your post was rather useless. Doesn't really help a good and cool-headed discussion...

It's not a smart ass comment as that's what you're doing. Those people want to openly talk about the issues with the game, some may be too dramatic about it, ok fair do's. But saying that it's a black and white discussion and because it's up to OT10 that it must be a great game is stupid. There's a lot to talk about Destiny, both what it gets right and wrong.

Steroyd

get to level 30 :D you should only have a maximum of two lvl 29 players in Hard raid.

Nah, it's doable with more 29's than that you have to approach the portals differently though I will say that that is the most optimum setup to make things easy, a 29 with the relic can't oneshot hobgoblins with the slam move, so one other person needs to help with the adds all the time, 2 people need to be on near permanent supplicant duty as well, which then boils down to what your teammates have equipped weapon-wise so they can hit Atheon hard during Time of Vengeance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom