• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Guess we're different people then 0_o

Well the gunplay and combat is fantastic, Bungie at it's finest obviously. The graphics, environments and level design is great along with the music, just overall the presentation of the game is top notch. And the game is amazingly addicting even though it's generally a slog of doing bounties, dailies and weeklies now which is getting stale. But there are just so many glaringly bad design choices that should never have made it into the game and it annoys me every time I play it.

Haha, well I guess we're in the same boat then.

DiscreteCat

Neo Member
Does anyone still need to run the hard raid this week? I've just got my warlock to level 29 and would like to try and fit one in before the reset if possible.

PSN: DiscreteCat

It's always scary! One of our raid group guys with a ballerhorn just jumps vertically out of the bubble to fire the rockets, but it always makes me nervous. He tries to time it between Atheon's bursts and he hasn't died yet, so...

Lol... I'm 'that' guy, except I do this with the weapons of light and I tend to jump sideways. Rocket did blow up in my face once though as it clipped the edge of the bubble. If that didn't happen, we could have killed Atheon. Ah well, we did like the next round. Pros are, weapons of light + ballerhorn is godly.

I do the jumping straight up if I'm firing the relic super however. Never seen it kill anyone. Howver it if pretty damn to hit Atheon as he's always dicking around side to side

Moral of the story is, be VERY VERY careful if you intend to do this and have radiance ready.

deadlast

best way to play salvage is to always let the other team capture the relic, then go in with your team, flank and cleanup then dismantle the relic. you get WAY more points for dismantling relics than you do for capturing/defending them.

Yes, but capturing the relic is far more satisfying. Especially when your team works together to defend.

GutZ31

Look at his k/d though! no way that strategy worked. He got pasted constantly. It was truly bizarre.

Is that a record that bungie.net actually keeps btw, longest life?

edit: ahhh grats GutZ. i'll add you.

you guys are crazy!

Thanks hawkian.
Great OT btw.

gdt

I'm having an insane a crazy amount of connection problems this morning. Like its constant. Every 10 minutes.

*Splinter

Hey, why don't you tell everyone how we clean up in Salvage? Oh, you already did? Perfect.

You're the one who probably Bungie about Loot Closet 2.0.
I think you get more points for successfully defending (ie. until it despawns) a relic, but this is quite hard to do.

I agree that your strategy is better

Edit: I quoted the wrong post. Don't defend relics, attack them!

ZoqTlNd.png

Can I haz front page now?

Congrats GutZ! I didn't even know you were going for it. What trophy put you over the edge?

I'd just like to say that Bad Juju is actually an interesting weapon, and no where as disgustingly underpowered as everyone says it is.

When you aren't getting kills in one clip which is 100% of the time when you aren't facing dregs it's a piece of junk. Even with the damage boost it still doesn't hit for much damage. It doesn't stack either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, but capturing the relic is far more satisfying. Especially when your team works together to defend.
that strategy is tailor-made for an organized team playing against randoms. They'll make it easy to dismantle the relic, which makes more relics appear so you can do it more often, which will rack up the points. An organized team that does capture the relic will spread out with sightlines on it to set a trap, get kills and hold it, so letting them get it first won't actually be a good idea. But you get matched up with randoms a lot so it's definitely not a bad call.
Thanks hawkian.
Great OT btw.
thank you!

Guess we're different people then 0_o

Well the gunplay and combat is fantastic, Bungie at it's finest obviously. The graphics, environments and level design is great along with the music, just overall the presentation of the game is top notch. And the game is amazingly addicting even though it's generally a slog of doing bounties, dailies and weeklies now which is getting stale. But there are just so many glaringly bad design choices that should never have made it into the game and it annoys me every time I play it.

The executives from Bungie who oversaw Destiny's development did a terrible job of creating a game with a central vision. And that isn't even mentioning the fact that they scrapped all elements of story three-quarters through development.

They refused to call it an MMO during development, yet that's exactly what it is. They are learning the hard way how to be an MMO dev, just like other companies did. They should have just resigned to the fact that what they were creating was a pseudo-MMO with micro-instances and limits on the number of players that can be in an area together at a time and developed the game as such. They should have marketed the game as a groundbreaking MMO shooter and then been much more upfront about how the game actually functioned from the get-go.

This would have meant committing to integrating working social features from the beginning, as that is what MMO's require. They should have spent more time QA testing the loot mechanics in the game and taken better feedback as to whether that was fun or not. They clearly did not have testers play VoG for weeks on end before release because zillions of bugs weren't found and they left in the dumb fucking loot system that currently exists. There are articles out there on how they actually did test Vault of Glass. They clearly tested it to tune it properly, but they didn't have people just play the game and tell them what sucked.

Accepting the game as an MMO and researching the development of other MMOs over time in order to figure out what works and what doesn't work should have been Bungie's focus. I think they're figuring this all out now as they go instead of doing what they should have done which was figure this out a year ago in development knowing what type of game they were actually making.

That's what "game directors" are for. That's what a guy like Bruce Straley is for. Creating a unified vision for a game and having the studio buy into it.

You can see easily from Destiny how Bungie knows how to make an awesome shooter. But then you see that they had no fucking idea how to make an MMO--they went out of their comfort zone--and to make it even worse, they were in denial about it being an MMO the entire time.

I think you get more points for successfully defending (ie. until it despawns) a relic, but this is quite hard to do.

I agree that your strategy is better

Edit: I quoted the wrong post. Don't defend relics, attack them!

Salvage scoring:

+200 points for claiming a relic, stacks per person. +600 max.

+150 points for disabling an enemy relic. Bonus applies to entire team. +450 max.

+300 points for successfully transmitting a relic. Does not stack.

In short, one team can get 900 points per relic.

edit: The +200 points for claiming a relic only applies if you stand in the circle, just like in control, you get +75 for capturing a point per person in the circle.

Salvage scoring:

+200 points for claiming a relic, stacks per person. +600 max.

+150 points for disabling an enemy relic. Bonus applies to entire team. +450 max.

+300 points for successfully transmitting a relic. Does not stack.

In short, one team can get 900 points per relic.

What does that mean?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been saying there is a big market for coop pve focused shooters for age, and this game hit it very well.

No way this will die soon, despite its flaws.
Yeah, there's even a little more to it. If you think about Borderlands, that's a coop pve focused (it doesn't even have actual PvP) shooter. In fact, if you think about Borderlands 1 in comparison to Destiny, on paper they're like practically the same game. Choose your class/character, play with friends, level up while replacing and upgrading your arsenal over time, lite-RPG character progression, MMORPG-style questing, sparse use of vehicles mostly for traversal, journey for the Vault.

But... I don't think I've seen anyone argue that they're in direct competition with one another. Completely different things are good about each, and they scratch different itches.

edit: Destiny is not an MMO.

What does that mean?

It means that the points are applied to your team's score, not an individual persons. In contrast to claiming the relic in the beginning.

edit: if my terminology is off.

I'm referring to claiming a relic as the point when Shaxx says, "There's a new relic, go and find it."

Transmitting a relic is what your ghost is spending 30 seconds doing after you've claimed it as yours.

Zakalwe

Banned
I updated my post dude sorry.

It's cool, thanks.

I get your frustration. I feel the same and I wish I didn't enjoy it as much as I do so I could stop supporting them until they get their shit together.

It's a great game to play with friends though, especially the raid.

get to level 30 :D you should only have a maximum of two lvl 29 players in Hard raid.

But what about "raid helmet only drops on Hard" crap? That would means removing my Lucky rasp for the splintercell helmet. I dont wanna do that...

If you aren't using rockets, then you're doing it wrong.

The only tip, and I really don't mean to be obnoxious, is to not suck, or "git gud". Level 29s are totally fine for that part (it's not until the end do 29s present a little bit of a challenge). You don't have to be well equipped, meaning you don't all need ghorns. Just be using maxed weapons and use maxed rockets. After being out for 2 months, that is not a high bar. Not even sure maxed weapons are needed for that part actually, I forget what level those mobs are.

Ok. Changing to rockets next time.

With six 29s, it can be pretty tough, so I would try adjusting your positioning on the conflux part, and tell your friends to not be worried about conserving heavy ammo during that stage, let 'em rip. You want to drop them as soon as you can hit them so they don't get close enough to overrun you.

Here's a map of some excellent positioning that will give your team line of sights to the enemy spawn points. If you can control the enemies as soon as they spawn you shouldn't have as many surprises :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2lag5o/vog_conflux_defense_positioning/

Also, when the Templar summons his legions, you can run to the spirit bloom cave to stay safe while you pick off the Fnatics and Harpys.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the map positioning.

Go back to orbit and reload the checkpoint. We had that happen and even multiple 30's couldn't deal with it. Were stuck for about an hour. We went back to orbit and came back and the next time was fine. We beat it like 10 minutes later.

Humm... Interesting. I didnt know that could diferentiate the spawns.

It means that the points are applied to your team's score, not an individual persons. In contrast to claiming the relic in the beginning.

edit: if my terminology is off.

I'm referring to claiming a relic as the point when Shaxx says, "There's a new relic, go and find it."

Transmitting a relic is what your ghost is spending 30 seconds doing after you've claimed it as yours.

actually holding it for the full countdown

Ah ok, ta

GutZ31

Congrats GutZ! I didn't even know you were going for it. What trophy put you over the edge?

Thanks bud.
I think my last 2 trophies were Relic Hunter, and the Titan Master trophies.

Congratz :) I just need that flawless raider trophy and I am pretty much there..besides the dead ghost and lvling up a titan and warlock meh.

I got Flawless Raider before the random teleporting mess started, so I got lucky.
October 26th at 5:32PM.

I feel for you on that one, it sucks.
Make sure you feel really good with your team, it matters a lot when you all are tired and bored.

LordofPwn

Congratz :) I just need that flawless raider trophy and I am pretty much there..besides the dead ghost and lvling up a titan and warlock meh.

I'm up for attempting flawless again tonight. i practiced jumping puzzle after people left so i'm a lot more confident doing it the safe long way now.

I can also help you get the ghosts if you want, should maybe only take an hour at most, how many do you currently have?

I'm only missing flawless and the titan trophy, but i'm about 5 bounties, and a couple public events away from that.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Been away from the thread for a bit due to COD, but funny to see my OT title got picked lol. Do I win a prize ;p

Anyway time to get back into some Destiny, I still need to do 2 weekly and 2 nightfalls before the reset.

I got Flawless Raider before the random teleporting mess started, so I got lucky.
October 26th at 5:32PM.

I feel for you on that one, it sucks.
Make sure you feel really good with your team, it matters a lot when you all are tired and bored.
Nice! I should have care more before the patch. I made a few mistakes when I was tired, such as dieing on the way to the Gorgon maze :p

I'm up for attempting flawless again tonight. i practiced jumping puzzle after people left so i'm a lot more confident doing it the safe long way now.

I can also help you get the ghosts if you want, should maybe only take an hour at most, how many do you currently have?

I'm only missing flawless and the titan trophy, but i'm about 5 bounties, and a couple public events away from that.
Yeah let me know whenever you're doing it. If I can make it, I will. I think I have 30 dead ghost. I will prob youtube it when the time comes. But if you wanna help out that will also work.

gdt

Goddamn. I can't believe I got plenty of shards but I'm limited by plasteel plating.

Dem Destiny alt problems.

LordofPwn

I need flawless, warlock mastery and 100 crucible marks/week.

Both the later need tons of grinding :(
farm 1,000 spinmetal over the next couple of weeks, and take it to the crucible quartermaster.
for leveling your alt, complete earth and do patrols/farm public events and bounties. get your alt to lvl 20, then do the rest of the story missions on lvl 20+ and rake in the bonus xp. and we might be doing flawless tonight if you want to join?

tonight perhaps?

Goddamn. I can't believe I got plenty of shards but I'm limited by plasteel plating.

Dem Destiny alt problems.

I did the whole "buy stuff from the vanguard and dismantle it for plating" thing the other day. Guess what happened...I got the mats, but ran out of glimmer to do the upgrades.

farm 1,000 spinmetal over the next couple of weeks, and take it to the crucible quartermaster.
for leveling your alt, complete earth and do patrols/farm public events and bounties. get your alt to lvl 20, then do the rest of the story missions on lvl 20+ and rake in the bonus xp. and we might be doing flawless tonight if you want to join?

I'd rather sell them to vangaurd than crucible. Easier to earn vanguard rep and marks.

Or I'll probably wait till the update that add new economies for materials..

In any case, have to delete on of my hunters for the warlock..stupid 3 character limit :(

Flawless in how many hours? I'm GMT +10 so unlikely.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'll honor my first OT 10 post with the moment where I mentally willed Rahool into giving me a Gjallarhorn. As soon as I saw that I picked up a legendary heavy engram, I told myself, "This is going to decrypt into a ballerhorn." I even warmed Rahool up with a nice simple blue engram to make sure the wolf pack rounds wouldn't hurt coming out. I am still so stoked. I can't wait to relive this moment with The Last Word and Hawkmoon, hopefully, in the not too distant future.
EQL7v64.jpg
Congratulations on what's almost inarguably the best weapon in the game. Be patient and wait until you unlock Wolfpack Rounds to unleash the power of it. It also levels rrreeeaaaalllyyyy slow, so be patient, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom