• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

I think some of the changes which were going to take place in the exotic weapons balancing patch have unknowingly found their way into the latest patch.

DJ88

Apparently The Last Word though has also been nerfed by 25-30% or so:

73 / 49 Headshot and Body Damage before

54 / 32 Headshot and Body Damage today. Wow.

Jesus. I don't really play crucible but I really hope it's not nerfed in PvE too.

I can't get in now, I guess screwed by the PSN vs. Destiny maintenance dance party.

edit: back in! let's check this out a bit

First of all, you're not one of those people :-/ I understand you're ostensibly not complaining on your own behalf here, but it sounds like you're saying YOU can't participate.

Secondly, it's those players I have in mind when I vehemently oppose blind matchmaking for the game's advanced activities, even though I'd never use it myself anyway.

If they included it for the Weekly Heroic, whatever, fine. Some people do want to throw themselves at that wall, or carry the team through the 3-man strike the way I find myself doing this a not-insignificant amount of the time in Tiger Strikes. The Nightfall is borderline; without extreme communication you'll have a number of new groups forming, getting kicked to orbit repeatedly and going to bed thinking the Nightfall is fucking impossible for them to ever beat.

The Raid is an entirely less compelling story. If you're not joining with a group of real friends then setting some basic expectations for the type of raid you're attempting is extremely important to even have a good time with it, let alone succeed. Your experience in joining a raid should have to do with your experience with a raid, which means communicating somehow before showing up at the door to the Vault. Not every is equally patient, nor are people looking to quickly complete content always tolerant of those who have never done it before, and every permutation in between.

An in-game grouping board for Fireteams (as you might find in PSO, Monster Hunter, etc.) is a solution that provides all the same benefits as matchmaking without the many, many potential issues that could arise (and can be seen right now in real-time during Vanguard playlists). This kind of system allows people to specify what they're looking for, and have like-minded people join the fireteam. Not just the kind of content, but the kind of group.

I've played a fuckton of Destiny and a majority of my time has been spent trying to contribute to the game's base in a way that pertains to the kind of player you're talking about. "Those people." The ones in this thread who have the Platinum or lead people in Flawless Raids or have three level 30s would never have needed my guides or my help finishing a level 26 strike to have the coins for their first exotic. They don't need to be led through the Normal raid for the first time; in fact a fair few of them could probably get through it playing with one hand at this point. Don't tell me I oppose matchmaking because I'm "not thinking about the 5 million other people" playing Destiny, I think about those players first because they are where the money comes from and I want this game to succeed.

Anyway, the raid has a number of checkpoints, and doesn't have to all be done in one sitting. Three 90-minute blocks at 3 points during the week would knock it out, or 4 hour long sessions, etc., one of a few differences this raid has to cater to the needs of a more casual playerbase than traditional MMO raids.
As a PS3 player, I find it very difficult to find more than a few people on GAF who can do anything more than play a random mission or strike in the evening. I've done most of the Nightfalls/Weeklies on my own, mainly because I haven't ventured out beyond GAF to seek help. Perhaps that's my own fault, but I would absolutely love to have some sort of matchmaking for their end-game material. Bungie could implement ways to let the uneducated know what to bring to Nightfall, and also to let them know the stakes of a full team wipe. The raid would be harder to work in matchmaking; at the very least have it broken up into individual missions for each major checkpoint. Having never played the raid, I have no idea beyond what I seen on youtube if it could work or not.

Hopefully I'll have a PS4 before too long and I can finally do the raid with some of you fine regulars here.

EL CUCO

We are full now unless someone drops out. Are both of your friends in for certain? Because I already secured three other people.

Yeah they're solid, but anything can happen.
I guess we'll play it by ear on Thursday. My guys are committed as of now.

matmanx1

Booo! Booo! It's almost like Bungie enjoys trolling us. They offer Last Word at Xur on Friday and the playerbase rejoices because of their fun new toy. Then on Monday they patch it to do far less damage. I bet they find that freakin hilarious.

An intentional nerf to TLW would be heartbreaking for me.

My Titan may be 30, but my Hunter has been my primary source of fun rolling TLW in Crucible.

Bungie pls

Torn is still viable in PvP. Was getting the last shot damage on a few non last shots. Heavy ammo spawn changed ever so slightly and shutters over C(?) window on Blind Watch now.

blazeuk

I'm in the process of levelling up both Thorn and TLW on 2 characters, it seems like that might have to wait now, pointless upgrading them until Bungie fix them, they'll probably take months to come back to it given their lack of care for some pretty big problems the game already has.

How is TLW even a worthwhile gun now? It's only advantage was doing a lot of damage at short range. Now is just does a medium amount of damage and still has to be at short range? Who would bother with it now?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I can assure you the Last word does not need a buff. But it also didn't need a nerf either. Was perfectly fine as it was. Hopefully it was an accident.

Sure. It didn't 'need' one but it could have used it. I can live with my favorite HC being a specialty weapon, but unless you really really like the gun there's no reason to ever use it in PvE. They could double its current effective range and it would still be fine.

Daemul

jayzyikes.gif

Missing line from the update notes:

"we made all fun weapons weaker, enjoy"

I can't tell if hard light has had any changes, i'm still leveling it and it feels the same to me so far.

X-Frame

How is TLW even a worthwhile gun now? It's only advantage was doing a lot of damage at short range. Now is just does a medium amount of damage and still has to be at short range? Who would bother with it now?

I can't imagine this being intended either, like a Thorn. Why wouldn't they mention something as significant as this in the patch notes? Doesn't make sense.

patchday

wow so they went and messed up TLW I'm reading this is unreal. Would verify myself when I get home but I've decided to take a break for a bit. Am tempted to log on and buy the new shaders I cant lie

E92 M3

I can't imagine this being intended either, like a Thorn. Why wouldn't they mention something as significant as this in the patch notes? Doesn't make sense.

Probably not intentional, but still will add a delay to an already late buff to the Vex and other exotics. Damn weapon balancing should always be the first priority - that is the core of the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As a PS3 player, I find it very difficult to find more than a few people on GAF who can do anything more than play a random mission or strike in the evening. I've done most of the Nightfalls/Weeklies on my own, mainly because I haven't ventured out beyond GAF to seek help. Perhaps that's my own fault, but I would absolutely love to have some sort of matchmaking for their end-game material. Bungie could implement ways to let the uneducated know what to bring to Nightfall, and also to let them know the stakes of a full team wipe. The raid would be harder to work in matchmaking; at the very least have it broken up into individual missions for each major checkpoint. Having never played the raid, I have no idea beyond what I seen on youtube if it could work or not.

Hopefully I'll have a PS4 before too long and I can finally do the raid with some of you fine regulars here.
What I was advocating for, an in-game grouping tool/fireteam listing board would benefit you in all the ways you've mentione. I hope it didn't seem like I was saying Bungie should not take any action to assist players like you in getting groups for their content. I want such a tool added very badly.
People saying Pocket Infinity now fires slower too, with a waiting period between bursts.
Well... you had to charge it between bursts, I wonder what the heck that means.

shem935

Banned
Sure. It didn't 'need' one but it could have used it. I can live with my favorite HC being a specialty weapon, but unless you really really like the gun there's no reason to ever use it in PvE. They could double its current effective range and it would still be fine.

Sorry I was speaking specifically about pvp. Pve yes it needed an upgrade to actually be relevant. As it was there were better options. Probably needed more range but I don't think pve balance sould transfer to pvp and vice versa.

funkypie

Banned
huge patch and no new content... unless iron banner counts as new content.

nothing worse than huge patches that contain dlc, especially for people who have no intention of buying it.

Bungie nerfed Thorn unintentionally? What!?
I'm wondering what change made this happen. If it's something easily noticeable we can find something else like maybe fall damage was reduced which reduced this dot or maybe something in the raid was changed that will help us do a b---

NVM just some universal intentional/unintentional nerf to Hand Cannons. Welp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom