• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

phen0m24

Anytime! You're always welcome to join me if you see me playing or send me a message so I know to back out of matchmaking to join up with you. PvP is always more fun with friends. Especially this weekend, I'll be on IB a lot.

Thank you X-Frame! My PSN is ColonelOCorn. Will definitely say hi if I see you running and or gunning.

Zakalwe

Banned
Has anyone else noticed you can propel yourself upwards with the explosion from the Timebreaker?

Did it on Bastion by chance and jumped up to the B spawn from the ground. Probably too difficult to replicate to be useful, but it's quite fun when it happens.

My second IB match today. Thrown in an ongoing match.
My team was only 3 people(vs. 6) and 8000 points behind. Great.

Btw: Seeing a lot of Plan C in the iron banner.

Wednesday Night Fun-Run™ normal VoG at 9pm EST.

Currently full, but could use an alt or two as X-Frame is tentative this week (last I heard).

1) scarletham
2) Hoodbury
3) Mupod
4) Appletz
5) ColonelOfCorn
6) X-Frame

Tawpgun

Playing some Iron Banner after taking a break from Crucible (because crucible is fkn terrible) made me realize how (fkn terrible) crucible is.

Control scoring is SUPER dumb. It's a glorified Team Deathmatch.

Was playing on Blind Watch and our team almost always was holding 2 control points and yet we still lost by like 500 points? Wtf is the point of trying to hold and defend 2/3 objectives when the team doing the most slaying will win anyway?

Does your score even go up as you hold control points like it does in literally every other FPS that has a similar mode? Because it seems to me that holding control points just makes kills worth more points in the score I think.

Absolute horseshit our team got punished for playing the objective.

Oh, and I dunno about this whole power matters thing. Still got melted by a level 23 with a Suros

LiK

Looks like I won't be playing much tonight. I have an interview for a different dept at work tomorrow. Gonna need to be ready for it even tho I'm not really. Haha

E92 M3

VoC was the first weapon I maxed and I don't regret it. Vex is also an exotic, so as good as it will be after the buff, it will still limit your build (IE: No Icebreaker), so I think it will still be a valuable tool to have maxed in your arsenal.

Indeed. My ONE worry is that Crota's legendaries will make it inferior. False worries?

Looks like I won't be playing much tonight. I have an interview for a different dept at work tomorrow. Gonna need to be ready for it even tho I'm not really. Haha

Good luck M'lord.

realcZk

Playing some Iron Banner after taking a break from Crucible (because crucible is fkn terrible) made me realize how (fkn terrible) crucible is.

Was playing on Blind Watch and our team almost always was holding 2 control points and yet we still lost by like 500 points? Wtf is the point of trying to hold and defend 2/3 objectives when the team doing the most slaying will win anyway?

Does your score even go up as you hold control points like it does in literally every other FPS that has a similar mode? Because it seems to me that holding control points just makes kills worth more points in the score I think.

Absolute horseshit our team got punished for playing the objective.

Oh, and I dunno about this whole power matters thing. Still got melted by a level 23 with a Suros

control points held are just flat multipliers for the kill points you earn. so it's possible to win a control match with only one point held the entire game if you kill just over 2x as much as the other team. you could win it without any points captured if you're destroying the other team in kills. i'm looking forward to some new game modes coming or the return of salvage. I would like salvage for IB

EL CUCO

I'm currently running on 3 hrs of sleep and 3rd cup of black coffee. You're doing the right thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sprinting is dangerous. Because you can't aim and shoot straight from a sprint at all, your general movement through the map should be walking, cautiously. Sprint only if you're trying to get from where you are to somewhere specific. I like to tap the trigger once to exit sprint- allows you to keep your forward momentum since you don't have to remove your thumb from the stick, and also just feels like you're "readying" your gun.

Stick together. I get that this is obvious advice for a team mode; but staying with your team is important not just because of strength in numbers (it's less likely for all of you to die in an engagement the more of you there are) but also because of a multiplicative effect: heavy ammo spawns, orb generation for supers, point capture speed, etc. are all much more effective if the bulk of the team is together, and only split up strategically. If you spawn "stranded," you can wreak havoc if you're confident, because it will most likely have given you a flanking position. But generally, you want to run to either the closest friendly player or closest friendly capture point and reset from there.

Pop your super frequently. Don't let your filled super bar languish for too long. Use it wisely, but remember than when the bar is full you can't pick up any Orbs or charge it any further, so use that sucker. You will be more effective having used your super more times throughout a match than having "saved it for the perfect moment." Especially in control with Nova Bomb and Fist of Havoc, you can identify a point that clearly has people on it and blast the crap out of it for guaranteed kills
which I really kind of loathe about control.

Put some thought into your loadout. The difference in feel when I'm playing with a build I'd planned out, with pieces that complement each other, versus playing with "whatever I have on me" is pretty intense. Make sure to check out all the buffs on all the armor pieces you have available to choose from and pick any you have that work specifically with the weapons you plan to use. Remember that as long you're around 28 for Iron Banner it's probably worth it to pick on this basis rather than just "what gets you to 30," and in regular Crucible it doesn't matter at all what level you are.

Don't snipe. I hate snipers

benjammin

Is anyone interested in running the normal raid around 5:30 EST today? Looking to get in done in an hour to an hour and a half if possible. It'll be my seventh time through and I'm confident that this will be the time that I finally get some armor to drop

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm gonna try and get a full group together for IB tonight... I'm thinking 7:30 Eastern or so. I need those boots!
I can play for about an hour before my raid at that time
I like the arms. The legs are atrocious, though.
Good thing I'll probably never reach level 4!... *cough*cough*
Damnit. I like my boots but need to replace them.

I hate the raid gloves so if these look better I might try to get them too anyway -_-

Mupod

Currently full, but could use an alt or two as X-Frame is tentative this week (last I heard).

1) scarletham
2) Hoodbury
3) Mupod
4) Appletz
5) ColonelOfCorn
6) X-Frame

Can't wait! I'll read up while I'm at work.

Well, the suros is goddamn ridiculous. But as a 27 I'm killing people in the same number of shots with a not-quite-maxed TDYK as I was in normal crucible. With super maxed out 30s being the apparent exception, but I'm not even sure that isn't just lag. Grenades and supers seem just as deadly as always, although it feels like I'm dying faster to everything. I got one-shotted by a Hawkmoon twice.

As for control, I noticed this too. I won a match where we only had one base most of the time, but we all ended the round with 2.0 or higher kill ratios.

X-Frame

1) scarletham
2) Hoodbury
3) Mupod
4) Appletz
5) ColonelOfCorn
6) X-Frame

Yo! Definitely grab an alt for me, or better yet make me an alt and have someone else be 100% in. I really want to get as much rep as possible with Iron Banner in the few hours I can play a night and complete all bounties so I can buy gear to get 2 characters to 30, if that's possible.

Next week though put me down as a regular. Thanks!

Mupod

Pop your super frequently. Don't let your filled super bar languish for too long. Use it wisely, but remember than when the bar is full you can't pick up any Orbs or charge it any further, so use that sucker. You will be more effective having used your super more times throughout a match than having "saved it for the perfect moment." Especially in control with Nova Bomb and Fist of Havoc, you can identify a point that clearly has people on it and blast the crap out of it for guaranteed kills

Last night with a GAF group I found myself saving my super a bit more than I usually was - when you've got voice communication it's great to have that super filled for the right moment. 'Their whole team is at C!' OH BOY OH BOY HERE COMES THE NOVA BOMB

phen0m24

I did jot some things down for a basic pvp guide but never got around to really formalizing it.

Sprinting is dangerous. Because you can't aim and shoot straight from a sprint at all, your general movement through the map should be walking, cautiously. Sprint only if you're trying to get from where you are to somewhere specific. I like to tap the trigger once to exit sprint- allows you to keep your forward momentum since you don't have to remove your thumb from the stick, and also just feels like you're "readying" your gun.

Stick together. I get that this is obvious advice for a team mode; but staying with your team is important not just because of strength in numbers (it's less likely for all of you to die in an engagement the more of you there are) but also because of a multiplicative effect: heavy ammo spawns, orb generation for supers, point capture speed, etc. are all much more effective if the bulk of the team is together, and only split up strategically. If you spawn "stranded," you can wreak havoc if you're confident, because it will most likely have given you a flanking position. But generally, you want to run to either the closest friendly player or closest friendly capture point and reset from there.

Put some thought into your loadout. The difference in feel when I'm playing with a build I'd planned out, with pieces that complement each other, versus playing with "whatever I have on me" is pretty intense. Make sure to check out all the buffs on all the armor pieces you have available to choose from and pick any you have that work specifically with the weapons you plan to use. Remember that as long you're around 28 for Iron Banner it's probably worth it to pick on this basis rather than just "what gets you to 30," and in regular Crucible it doesn't matter at all what level you are.

Don't snipe. I hate snipers

Thank you Hawkian. You always do well even when our team might get whooped on!!The build advice thing is good stuff. I tend to shard whatever isn't the highest level. I even did it with my fully leveled Monarchy armor once I got raid gear.
dumb, I know

I hate snipers too
And why won't everyone stand still and let me shoot them - I can't strafe for the life of me

So after getting my Gjalla'back girl yesterday I was checking my grimoire and realized that I'm only missing 3 exotics right now.

-Hard Light
-Monte Carlo
-Thunder Lord

I'm not counting Fate of All Fools for obvious reasons.

I guess I could write up some reviews about all of them.

excowboy

Sprinting is dangerous. Because you can't aim and shoot straight from a sprint at all, your general movement through the map should be walking, cautiously.

I haven't played much PvP - only for bounties - but the amount of easy shotgun kills I got by corner camping made this pretty obvious. With the right weapons you want mid distance engagements and take some time to learn the map flow so you know where enemies will be sprinting - running everywhere leaves you little time to survey the area and get prepared and much more prone to having someone get the drop on you
or turning a corner into a shotgun/grenade/super

Mupod

Motes for gear? What gear requires motes?

random engrams from Xur. I'll take what I can get, since I don't have much. Although the last thing I got was a useless hunter hat.

I also really want a couple of the iron banner weapons, and I'd need motes to reroll their perks.

Tawpgun

control points held are just flat multipliers for the kill points you earn. so it's possible to win a control match with only one point held the entire game if you kill just over 2x as much as the other team. you could win it without any points captured if you're destroying the other team in kills. i'm looking forward to some new game modes coming or the return of salvage. I would like salvage for IB

As for control, I noticed this too. I won a match where we only had one base most of the time, but we all ended the round with 2.0 or higher kill ratios.

So dumb. I get that slaying is important but I literally became a detriment to my team for playing the objective.

I was in an area between B and C where I can see people dropping down into the area where the door to B is and I can still run to C if need be.

I killed a few people that attempted to drop down and get C but for the most part I was just sitting them making sure the points weren't capped.

Also known as playing the objective.

And we still lost? I guess in control I should just be going out to slay as much as possible. smh.

Not too big a deal to me since I just wanted to try IB out and I never play crucible normally. Just kinda silly design decision by Bungie.

1) scarletham
2) Hoodbury
3) Mupod
4) Appletz
5) ColonelOfCorn
6) X-Frame

I'll alt or take X-Frames place. Need to run it on my 28 Titan alt. PSN - Dr_LawyerCop.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Last night with a GAF group I found myself saving my super a bit more than I usually was - when you've got voice communication it's great to have that super filled for the right moment. 'Their whole team is at C!' OH BOY OH BOY HERE COMES THE NOVA BOMB
Yeah, when you have a full team your orb generation will be off the charts so you can often be more judicious, but the advice is more along the lines of "don't miss three good opportunities because you're holding out for the perfect one."
I haven't played much PvP - only for bounties - but the amount of easy shotgun kills I got by corner camping made this pretty obvious. With the right weapons you want mid distance engagements and take some time to learn the map flow so you know where enemies will be sprinting - running everywhere leaves you little time to survey the area and get prepared and much more prone to having someone get the drop on you
or turning a corner into a shotgun/grenade/super
There's also a very intentional outright penalty to your right stick camera/aiming speed while sprinting. If a sprinting player comes across a walking player and they see each other at the same time, the second or fraction of a second it takes for the sprinter to adjust can be life and death.

Did the nightfall last night with my regular group of co-workers. The Warlock of our party is super hardcore, pretty much makes everything easy mode since he is so good at the game...

All he wants is Icebreaker. Missed it from Xur and kicking his ass over it. Multiple nightfalls and raids and everything else under the sun and he still has yet to get it.

Last night the casual of the group gets icebreaker... Many emotional outbursts were had. The casual wanted it but never really plays the game like the rest of us... I feel kinda bad for our lock, he tries so damn hard and RNGesus hates him. Knowing our luck the rest of our co-workers will get Icebreaker before he does.

I kinda wish there was a loot system where the party could roll or pass on drops like in most MMO's I think the emotional breakdowns would be far less if that were the case.

TTG

They really fucked Blind Watch didn't they? Yes, one team had an advantage at the start, no that doesn't make even a top 20 list of stuff that gives an inherent advantage in Destiny. Now we got another map with no sight lines(hello shotguns, yet another map where you never have to switch off one) and it looks ridiculous as well.

Yo! Definitely grab an alt for me, or better yet make me an alt and have someone else be 100% in. I really want to get as much rep as possible with Iron Banner in the few hours I can play a night and complete all bounties so I can buy gear to get 2 characters to 30, if that's possible.

Next week though put me down as a regular. Thanks!

Sounds good - thanks for the update! You'll be missed :(

See you at 9pm EST.

I'll alt or take X-Frames place. Need to run it on my 28 Titan alt. PSN - Dr_LawyerCop.

You're in.

All set, thanks guys, see you tonight.

1) scarletham
2) Hoodbury
3) Mupod
4) Appletz
5) ColonelOfCorn
6) Dr_LawyerCop

X-Frame on very loose standby.

Hoodbury

Running IB with a full 6 man GAF party was awesome last night. We only lost 1 match and that was a close one. Got to rank 3 and got my boots. Yay, one step closer to 30.

Finished the 10 killstreak bounty in the first match and the melee one right at the first kill in the second match. One hit meleeing those lower level fools is so much fun now.

Midas

I kinda wish there was a loot system where the party could roll or pass on drops like in most MMO's I think the emotional breakdowns would be far less if that were the case.

That would be fantastic. That you could trade/share what you get from a raid drop within your fire team. Listen up Bungie!

Deku Tree

RNGesus works in mysterious ways.

I've only got the chest piece, but I've been fortunate in the weapon department.

My friend however, who has done less raid than I, is level 30. He also discards raid weapons because he doesn't use rocket launchers, auto-rifles, scout rifles etc.

Such a cruel world.

Game can be unfair like that. Took me close to a hundred loot drops to get a full set. Got lucky on my first raid with gloves but took me 6 more raids to get the next piece. Got so sick of it I made my alts all titans. Gives you more chances but also makes you stuck with three titans:(

Tell me about it! Did my 6th yesterday...

Yeah this is about how I feel. I am holding out hope that a future event gives us a PvE way to get 30 light gear before the DLC hits.

realcZk

Our team was destroying in IB last night and I got a message from someone who kept camping in the back with a P&T. I'd send a few thorn shots his way every time...

6uYAhqF.png

Also whats up with Bungie's matchmaking just putting you against the exact same team over and over again? Why should you have to back out for it to randomize teams? The matchmaking is pretty laughable sometimes..

Indeed. My ONE worry is that Crota's legendaries will make it inferior. False worries?

I mean, in theory this could happen depending on what the weapons that drop there are, but I guess the point is that it will be very helpful up until it is rendered inferior since there will probably be Wizards in the raid which generally have Fire shields.

Also whats up with Bungie's matchmaking just putting you against the exact same team over and over again? Why should you have to back out for it to randomize teams? The matchmaking is pretty laughable sometimes..

If you are matched with players and you don't "Leave Matchmaking" at the end of the match, that will be your default lobby of players for the next round. Whichever spots open up due to players who leave themselves will get filled by others who get matched up to fill the empty spots. If you want a fresh batch of players each and every time, you'll have to "Leave Matchmaking" after every match and then do a fresh search.

EL CUCO

It felt so good to out gun a sniper with my Thorn last night. I think the only weapons that got me a few times if I wasn't careful was Suros and occasional people bum rushing with Invective.

When I popped on Suros to see how it performed, I quickly realized that it's still a headshot BEAST. I only got killed once by 1 other AR (Shadow Price) and for the sake of comparison, I can confirm, the SUROS hits you like a Mac truck.

realcZk

If you are matched with players and you don't "Leave Matchmaking" at the end of the match, that will be your default lobby of players for the next round. Whichever spots open up due to players who leave themselves will get filled by others who get matched up to fill the empty spots. If you want a fresh batch of players each and every time, you'll have to "Leave Matchmaking" after every match and then do a fresh search.

Ok, guess that makes sense then when comparing it to a game like CoD and how their lobby system works. Sometimes I wonder why some teams stay around as long as they do when losing, maybe they don't know they will just keep being paired with the same people. I guess since it doesn't show the players in the lobby screen like CoD does it's harder to notice.

Our team was destroying in IB last night and I got a message from someone who kept camping in the back with a P&T. I'd send a few thorn shots his way every time...

Your avatar is relevant

PuMa

So dumb. I get that slaying is important but I literally became a detriment to my team for playing the objective.

I was in an area between B and C where I can see people dropping down into the area where the door to B is and I can still run to C if need be.

I killed a few people that attempted to drop down and get C but for the most part I was just sitting them making sure the points weren't capped.

Also known as playing the objective.

And we still lost? I guess in control I should just be going out to slay as much as possible. smh.

Not too big a deal to me since I just wanted to try IB out and I never play crucible normally. Just kinda silly design decision by Bungie.

The sole objective is not to just hold control points. Your team has to get more points, and you get more points by getting more kills, which is increased by owning more control points. You won't win if you just own the control points. It's not a silly design, it's just not what you thought it was apparently.

Good IB games guys

I ended up getting Timur's Lash. It was awful but then I reforged it and got Rangefinder, Third Eye and Field Scout which makes it pretty much a beastlier Lord High Fixer.

X-Frame

I'm gonna try and get a full group together for IB tonight... I'm thinking 7:30 Eastern or so. I need those boots!

I'll join you Strider, I'll be playing then and probably a bit earlier. Shoot me an invite when you get on. My 29 Bubblegal is ready to bring the Thunderdome to IB again.

Sounds good - thanks for the update! You'll be missed :(

All set, thanks guys, see you tonight.

1) scarletham
2) Hoodbury
3) Mupod
4) Appletz
5) ColonelOfCorn
6) Dr_LawyerCop

X-Frame on very loose standby.

Haha, sorry scarlet. You guys are awesome to play with.

And Colonel is hilarious from that first time we ran the raid together. Something about not sending Atheon a Christmas card? Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom