• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Also want to say that the Supremacy sniper from the queens bounty is still the best sniper rifle, shooting through walls to kill people capping flag points will never get old.

It's a great sniper, with the same Impact as Icebreaker but with a lot more stability.

Mine rolled Arc but not with the next perks (Clown Cartridge, meh) but it still is such a hard hitting sniper. I will definitely try to get more when the next Queen's Event rolls out.

benjammin

Yep, and that's why most MMO's do that. Not sure why Destiny, a pretty casual shooter, needs to be so stingy sometimes.

When the character progression is tied to luck, it artificially adds longevity to the game. Seems like that's what they were going for here considering how little there is to do after finishing the story.

arimanius

I finally got my gear to 30 last night and now the IB feels a little different, still near instant deaths but something about it all feels better, might just be placebo.

Pretty sure I have not seen anyone below level 26 in the IB yet.

My Hard Light is only at 267 dmg or something like that, I do wonder how different it will be at 300.

I played last night with my 25 Hunter and had no issues. Completed the all the bounty except the melee one. Even complete the 10 kills streak one to my shock. I was only using a fully upgrade Suros and an almost fully upgraded Hawkmoon later that night.

Frenden

Banned
Not if you're unlucky and still don't have raid chest or helmet. The only 2 raid armor pieces I have are gloves and boots, so IB gear is useless to me...

Thought my alt needs +30 light gloves. But I'm not really in the mood to grind IB if my main already has raid gloves and boots.

Yeah. I have the Symbiote helm and the raid helm and Lucky Raspberry--I just needed gloves and boots. I'll have to bench my Symbiote gloves until the raid drops a chest for me, though.

LordofPwn

I feel your pain...

VUElKnh.png

wt9XSzZ.png

That´s actually a REALLY GOOD IDEA!
You have a hawkmoon, you don't get to complain...

It would be nice is beating the raid gave a coin you could use towards raid gear in a shop, so 5 coins could buy a segment of armor for those with super low RNG luck.
It's been discussed on here before. Raid marks, or raid specific currency (1 currency per raid and/or difficulty) 5 seems like a reasonable amount as long as 5 is equal to 5 checkpoint clears. but then how do you separate Hard mode only loot? i think it's worth discussing more, and if a small group of Gaffers can collectively come up with a simple balanced system that theoretically could be easily implemented, then possibly Bungie will make note of it.

Yeah Tumbler is too slow--there's no going back from the Timebreaker. Feels bad.

Those sick stunts though, yo.

Yo did you know landing sick tricks give you boost and replenish your boost meter?

Kalamari

When the character progression is tied to luck, it artificially adds longevity to the game. Seems like that's what they were going for here considering how little there is to do after finishing the story.

It also artificially pisses people off who eventually call it a shit game on the internet. I don't think they considered the amount of blowback it could possibly cause.

GlamFM

Banned

1 coin per Raid & 5 coins per piece of gear would still mean 15 raids for the extremely unlucky.

R0ckman

I really feel like Sunsinger resurrection really needs a buff, it really isn't cool that you can just revive, and during the animation basically be a sitting duck to be killed again, only time I've seen it used good is when the player waits just a bit then does a surprise one or does it in a really close match. It really needs some kind of area clearing effect where the Warlock creates a kind of explosion that takes out all enemies nearby when he revives in the flames.

LordofPwn

It's a great sniper, with the same Impact as Icebreaker but with a lot more stability.

Mine rolled Arc but not with the next perks (Clown Cartridge, meh) but it still is such a hard hitting sniper. I will definitely try to get more when the next Queen's Event rolls out.

My icebreaker has more impact... but my supremacy is arc and can get 8 shots before reloading, which means for Nightfall it's amazing. wish it could shoot through walls though...

zewone

Nope. It jams way too much and the recoil and range doesn't help either. It only shines on small maps like Firebase Delphi.

Hawkmoon puts it to shame.

You should be "fanning" the trigger and not just holding it down.

Full Auto is broken on other guns like VoC and Found Verdict. It's best just to pull the trigger as fast as you can. Being full auto helps improve the rate of fire and TLW has the fastest rate of fire for a hand cannon and is a two (head)shot kill.

TLW is the deadliest primary in skilled hands.

LordofPwn

I really feel like Sunsinger resurrection really needs a buff, it really isn't cool that you can just revive, and during the animation basically be a sitting duck to be killed again, only time I've seen it used good is when the player waits just a bit then does a surprise one or does it in a really close match. It really needs some kind of area clearing effect where the Warlock creates a kind of explosion that takes out all enemies nearby when he revives in the flames.

Theres an exotic incoming that does an AOE on revive i believe. still would like to take some damage while in the animation state though.

Last night we finished the Nightfall and I started chanting "HawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoon"

AND IT F----ING DROPPED!

for my fireteam buddy

Strider

Nope. It jams way too much and the recoil and range doesn't help either. It only shines on small maps like Firebase Delphi.

Never had that happen to me. I assume that happens only when holding down the trigger which I would never recommend anyway.Quickly tapping the trigger is more effective.

And as far as Hawkmoon is concerned. It is also a top tier PvP weapon but it definitely doesn't put it to shame.

To each their own though.

Yeah. They're probably doing some sort of Monte Carlo calculation to say "We want X number of players to have enough light to get to 30 by Y date"

The RNG calculator then figures out how often the corresponding loot should drop so the game population follows a predictable curve.

spyder_ur

I've ran 4 times on my Warlock and not gotten any gear. Ran once on my Titan and got boots.

I mean, it kind of stinks, but then again I think we are overrating the idea of getting to 30 which I kind of accepted as not happening last night. You can get to 29 without even running the raid (I was 29 before I did) and at 29 it seems you can do everything in the game at this point, trophies excluded. Sure, it sounds like hard mode is much more doable at 30, but that's basically it, no?

When the DLC comes out, that might change, but I would assume there would be access to higher-level gear (and such easier paths to 30) available then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Basically; despite using a token system to allow you to get all the way from 1-29, the wall from 29 to 30 reverts progression back to the old standard of pure RNG to progress. While it might seem nonsensical or obviously less compelling than offered a guaranteed method of hitting the level cap after a certain amount of time or repetition, it's incredibly effective. It's hard for me to tolerate, I'm sanguine that alternative routes- such as IB with currently yields boots that will be my ticket to 30- will continue to be made cyclically available. Thus the progression will be still be artificially gated in terms of real world time, but not reliant on RNG within the individual events that provide the upgrades when they come.
It's been discussed on here before. Raid marks, or raid specific currency (1 currency per raid and/or difficulty) 5 seems like a reasonable amount as long as 5 is equal to 5 checkpoint clears. but then how do you separate Hard mode only loot? i think it's worth discussing more, and if a small group of Gaffers can collectively come up with a simple balanced system that theoretically could be easily implemented, then possibly Bungie will make note of it.
The thing is there's nothing particularly novel about this nor is it even unfamiliar to Destiny's design. Destiny relies on a token system for gearing up allll the way to the last level before the cap. It was a very calculated and intentional decision to then cut players off from the staircase and put them on a treadmill. So while I'm certain Bungie is taking note of all of the suggestions players are putting forth to offer "fair" progression to the level cap, I don't expect raid tokens to ever be a thing. Of course, I'd like such a system and take advantage of it myself in a heartbeat.
It also artificially pisses people off who eventually call it a shit game on the internet. I don't think they considered the amount of blowback it could possibly cause.
Of course they did. they don't care about that
I've ran 4 times on my Warlock and not gotten any gear. Ran once on my Titan and got boots.

I mean, it kind of stinks, but then again I think we are overrating the idea of getting to 30 which I kind of accepted as not happening last night. You can get to 29 without even running the raid (I was 29 before I did) and at 29 it seems you can do everything in the game at this point, trophies excluded. Sure, it sounds like hard mode is much more doable at 30, but that's basically it, no?
correct, and if this weren't the case I'd have already dropped the game. My history with RNG-based itemization is not pleasant, and for all the shit its progression system gets daily, Destiny is substantially more generous and pragmatic than a lot of games I've played when it comes to "getting your characters endgame-ready".

X-Frame

I noticed that TLW jams consistently when you have your special equipped and swap to TLW and immediately hold the trigger -- it will jam almost every time, if not every time. Got me killed in many instances.

My icebreaker has more impact... but my supremacy is arc and can get 8 shots before reloading, which means for Nightfall it's amazing. wish it could shoot through walls though...

Interesting, mine dropped with only 4 shots per mag so I assume even the Impact is something subject to RNG. Mine is no different than my Icebreaker, it hits very hard. I did think the gun stats could change depending on a drop.

Sullichin

It doesn't need a buff. You can come back and kill the guy you almost killed (wait for them to start moving away), and have a thousand grenades and a one hit melee which can activate flame shield.

If it had the explosion you'd just be punished for killing a Warlock that's capturing your points. I'd suicide bomb zone B all day. Self revive is very useful but there's also Radiant Skin which can also be pretty deadly. I don't think Fireborn is the best PVP loadout for Warlock compared to how good the other options are

rNilla

When the DLC comes out, that might change, but I would assume there would be access to higher-level gear (and such easier paths to 30) available then.

I have a feeling that getting that last piece (or pieces) of raid gear to go from 29 to 30 will be irrelevant once the DLC comes out. At least, I hope so.

R0ckman

Got a ballerhorn drop from IB, with that, I have every exotic in the game that I want, and now I'm ready to get to level 30, don't have to give a damn about anything in this game except helping my raid friends and such. Just in time for Dragon Age too lol.

It doesn't need a buff. You can come back and kill the guy you almost killed (wait for them to start moving away), and have a thousand grenades and a one hit melee which can activate flame shield.

If it had the explosion you'd just be punished for killing a Warlock that's capturing your points. I'd suicide bomb zone B all day. Self revive is very useful but there's also Radiant Skin which can also be pretty deadly. I don't think Fireborn is the best PVP loadout for Warlock compared to how good the other options are

It has almost never been useful when I've seen it used (I have only observed it, I have a warlock that does not have the ability yet), it's only useful in a close quarters match where the enemy is almost dead or the enemy is not around any allies. Most of the time I'm ready to kill them again when they revive.

I'd also like to point out, Kamikaze B Zone would not be any different from Nova Bombing or throwing a Titan Tantrum. You still need to charge the super and you would actually have to give the other team points and hope you die in a good area to use it.

Got a ballerhorn drop from IB, with that, I have every exotic in the game that I want, and now I'm ready to get to level 30, don't have to give a damn about anything in this game except helping my raid friends and such. Just in time for Dragon Age too lol,

Lol congrats! You beat destiny c:

noomi

So are IB rewards really that much more frequent/better than regular crucible rewards? In that case I might have to actually start playing it.

Does it take into account how well you did in the round, or does it seem to be as random as crucible where the worst player can still get an exotic lol...

So it would appear that only the boots and gloves are available from the IB vendor. However, I was looking through some guides and found the following:

http://planetdestiny.com/new-iron-banner-gear-bounties/

If you scroll down to the armor section, it would appear that there is a helm and chest piece that exists out there in the wild. Is the helm and/or chest an in-game drop?

Because... that would be awesome as my alt hunter needs chest and gloves to hit 30. Granted, my armor luck in this game is shit so I still wouldn't be expecting anything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I did experience Special Weapon Reload not functioning properly last night :-/
I need to verify it's at least a known issue or not

Rubenov

That's why you're supposed to use Radiance before you die, and kill people with the solar nades + DOT perk active. Resurrection is mostly a PVE thing.

benjammin

1 coin per Raid & 5 coins per piece of gear would still mean 15 raids for the extremely unlucky.

Personally I like the idea of being able to trade or exchange raid gear for other raid gear. I mean I've received 6 chatterwhites, 3 found verdicts, and 3 hezen vengeance at this point. Let me break all of those down into tokens that can be exchanged for the gear that I actually need. As it is I've spent 6 weeks raiding and I'm no closer to level 30 than I was when I started.

I would happily run the raid 15 times to KNOW that I'll hit the level cap. Luckily the raid is a ton of fun so I don't mind running it, but I'd like to know that I will eventually get the gear that I need.

Rubenov

So are IB rewards really that much more frequent/better than regular crucible rewards? In that case I might have to actually start playing it.

Does it take into account how well you did in the round, or does it seem to be as random as crucible where the worst player can still get an exotic lol...

Random, and I played about 6 hours of IB yesterday and didn't notice a difference from regular Crucible. I remember the first IB offered legendaries/exotics more often than Crucible...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's why you're supposed to use Radiance before you die, and kill people with the solar nades + DOT perk active. Resurrection is mostly a PVE thing.
It's pretty great in Salvage and Skirmish to a lesser extent, but yeah, I flip on Radiant Skin for PvP

E92 M3

I did experience Special Weapon Reload not functioning properly last night :-/
I need to verify it's at least a known issue or not

Also grenades aren't being thrown further. I think both perks broke. I've been very frustrated about it, but it seems most people aren't noticing or caring.

LordofPwn

Interesting, mine dropped with only 4 shots per mag so I assume even the Impact is something subject to RNG. Mine is no different than my Icebreaker, it hits very hard. I did think the gun stats could change depending on a drop.

Here's mine:

It has field scout, so that bumped it up to 6, and clown cartridge can give it 8. And then Performance Bonus gives reserve ammo. it's a nice setup, just have never had a sniper drop with armor piercing rounds.

Last night we finished the Nightfall and I started chanting "HawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoonHawkmoon"

AND IT F----ING DROPPED!

for my fireteam buddy

I do that for Gjallarhorn but it hasnt worked.... To the point where I have the wife, the in laws and my daughter chanting....

R0ckman

Lol congrats! You beat destiny c:

Thanks! Hope you've beaten it or close to beating it as well!

So it would appear that only the boots and gloves are available from the IB vendor. However, I was looking through some guides and found the following:

http://planetdestiny.com/new-iron-banner-gear-bounties/

If you scroll down to the armor section, it would appear that there is a helm and chest piece that exists out there in the wild. Is the helm and/or chest an in-game drop?

Because... that would be awesome as my alt hunter needs chest and gloves to hit 30. Granted, my armor luck in this game is shit so I still wouldn't be expecting anything.

Well it appears that there are things that are only drops in IB, I got a Heavy Machine Gun, I don't think I saw one for sale at IB dudes shop.

realcZk

I got some awesome stuff from the nightfall this week on my characters

• another swarm (this is my most common drop in the entire game, cant get away from these damn guns)
  • another random bad shotgun
  • 9 energies

My total haul: 13 energy

This is exactly the same as last week except the shotgun wasn't solar and the swarm was void.

Sullichin

Random, and I played about 6 hours of IB yesterday and didn't notice a difference from regular Crucible. I remember the first IB offered legendaries/exotics more often than Crucible...
For what it's worth, I did get Monte Carlo this IB, and one Timurs Lash so far (they dropped constantly last time). That was rank 2, halfway through 4 now and no exotics since.

Sullichin

Thanks! Hope you've beaten it or close to beating it as well!

Well it appears that there are things that are only drops in IB, I got a Heavy Machine Gun, I don't think I saw one for sale at IB dudes shop.
you got the IB machine gun to drop as a reward in this Iron Banner? They had it for sale last time. Hm, I wonder if there is more stuff than Timurs Lash

oops, double post. just assumed the thread was moving fast enough

Tawpgun

Couple ideas, some probably making most sense to implement in the next expansion.

1. Incentives to replay the raid. Helping friends is alright, and the raid can be fun in itself (if people don't cheese....) But you shouldn't come away from it without anything. Either have some kind of a "Raid vendor" with Raid Bounties and such. Could be a way of obtaining certain raid gear that won't require you to test your RNG luck every week.

or

Diminish the returns on the raid. First raid of the week gives you classic raid stuff. Second run will give you chances at legendaries. And every run after that just gives you payouts similar to the vanguard strike playlists.

2. Different ways of getting world materials. Farming is by far the worst aspect of this game. Patrol missions should drop mats. Enemies should drop mats. Public Events should drop mats.

3. Stop oversaturing the game with whatever welfare exotics Xur is selling that week. Ways to fix?

I think for next expansion, most of the new exotics should be tied to bounties. The Thorn bounty was awesome because it gave you a cool variation on a strike and gave you a good story on how you got Thorn. More stuff like this.

Perhaps Xur can sell different exotic bounties every week (you can only choose one). Tie it to the lore by having the bounties be missions that benefit The Nine.

ORRRRRRR

Xur will sell engrams instead of set exotics. This way everyone gets an exotic, but it won't be the same for everyone.

I got some awesome stuff from the nightfall this week on my characters

• another swarm (this is my most common drop in the entire game, cant get away from these damn guns)
  • another random bad shotgun
  • 9 energies

My total haul: 13 energy

This is exactly the same as last week except the shotgun wasn't solar and the swarm was void.

Haha, you know better than to roll with me. RNGeebus hates on those I play with when it comes to weapons. To be fair, I had shitty luck last night as well.

What the hell did I even get? I got some handcannon (I love HCs but, when you have TDYK, Hawkmoon, and TLW, I really have no need for a 6 bullet mag), some machine gun that couldn't hold up to my CM or Swarm, and then some other shot gun I think.

As you said, lots of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom