• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Do any Iron Banner bounties reset? I cleared them all, the 10k xp, 10 kill streak, and 10 Heavy head shots twice, but there's noting else. I need the extra rep! :(
They reset, but we got the exact same bounties as yesterday. I did them all twice and now I'm pretty much in the same boat. You can keep tempered going as long as you have motes though

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I need some help deciding what handcannon I should level first. I have Hawkmoon, Thorn and The Last Word. All are fresh and unleveled. I already have a maxed DYK handcannon that I use in PVE, but I want a good handcannon for PVP, that would also work well in PVE if I needed it to.

I'm leaning towards Hawkmoon because it looks great and is a bit rarer than TLW, and I like its stats better, but I know a lot of people like TLW. Thorn is a bit of an unknown, and I'll probably wait to see how the buff affects it.

Any thoughts DestinyGAF?
First off, you already have one. TDYK is a fantastic weapon that will be a worthy companion in the Crucibe, and a maxed one can hold its own in Iron Banner no problem.

Second, Hawkmoon, The Last Word, and Thorn are completely different- moreso than any of the stuff you mentioned, you should pick the one that suits the way you want to play. Hawkmoon is phenomenally accurate with massive range and occasionally does crazy damage; it's much like The Devil You Know and simply better in every way. The Last Word is an absolute monster at close to midrange- anyone trying to close the distance on you will stand no chance, and its rate of fire will let you kill unsuspecting targets more quickly than any other hand cannon. Thorn has a lot of weaknesses out of the box and doesn't come into its own until you unlock the unique upgrade, at which point it supports a very unique playstyle from the DoT (though it's gimped in its current state since the patch). You can often walk away to safety after getting a few shots off, and get the kill. You can play very conservatively with it which suits the low mag, while its extreme range and impact mean you can go for killshots when you need to as well. The toughest of the three to use well but absolutely devastating in the right hands.
So I'm trying to find out the answer, but since I don't have the gun yet:

Does Fatebringer do more damage than Hawkmoon in PVE content?

Not talking about Arc shields either, just referring to the regular damage to an enemy.

If so, I want to know what makes Hawkmoon more appealing besides aesthetics/sound?
Hawkmoon:
Body shot 301
Crit 901

Fatebringer:
Body shot 273
Crit 819

Both fully upgraded. Fatebringer is without explosive rounds.

I just happened to be on patrol :lol

Edit: That was just against vandals, but Hawkmoon obviously hits harder.
Of... course Hawkmoon does more damage, all exotics do more damage than legendaries, for the moment anyway.

LordofPwn

Does it go up for Fatebringer with explosive rounds enabled?

Explosive rounds bring damage down, I think.

Not worth using exotic slot for Hawkmoon when you have Icebreaker or Gjallarhorn, imo.

It does go down.

Ok, i cant remember who wanted to know this but i just did a test with my fatebringer and explosive rounds.

Explosive rounds do precision damage

And sometimes do more single point damage, but it could just be a rounding error.

killing a dreg with explosive rounds by precision kill did 510 dmg in my test or a non crit hit of 128 x 2 (bullet, and explosive)

Crit = 510
reg = 256 (128 x 2)

But non explosive crit did 765 dmg and reg hit for 255

Crit = 765
Reg = 255

So what's happening is that the bullet can do crit damage and gets a multiplier, but the explosion does not.

so explosive crit is actually (128x3)+128. but wait that equals 512, what's going on.
Answer: the bullet damage of 255 gets split in 2 (127.5).

Run the equation again (127.5x3)+127.5 = 510

On a servitor though the totals were 384 total damage for explosive crits, and 383 for non explosive crits.

Thanks for reading the latest installment of "LordofPwn presents... Math"

There you go.

Arc damage and Firefly makes Fatebringer even more appealing.

Right, I just meant was the damage being dealt getting any boosts from the perks.

Thank you for the information by the way.

I do miss Firefly, but with chain of woe Hawkmoon has a pretty fast reload. Better range and stability too.

You're welcome.

broony

I'm going to take some new people through their first raid tonight. 2 hunters, 1titan. I play warlock.

When you get to the jumping puzzle, which jump abilities are best for them and which platforms are best?

I usually jump from first to second to third then jump for the ledge. Can hunters and Titans make this?

Zakalwe

Banned
SUROS Regime PVP is getting pretty tiring, is this what Bungie intended with their weapon progression? Eventually everyone will be just using one or two guns.

All these exotic fusion rifles and shotguns are one hit kill as well, sighhhhhhh. It'd be fun if it weren't for all the OP weapons.

I'm cool with Regime. Can handle playing vs it just fine.

FRs though. Fuck those things.

Mupod

SUROS Regime PVP is getting pretty tiring, is this what Bungie intended with their weapon progression? Eventually everyone will be just using one or two guns.

All these exotic fusion rifles and shotguns are one hit kill as well, sighhhhhhh. It'd be fun if it weren't for all the OP weapons.

if they were interested in fairness then they'd either disable special exotic abilities or weaken the weapon in PVP to compensate for the special ability. Or even better, a playlist with standardized gear and abilities.

I'd say as a 'have-not' the biggest offenders I run into are suros regime and hawkmoon, to the point where I just roll my eyes when I get killed by them. Fusion rifles, I dunno in regular crucible I think I'd rather have something with fast charge and good range than a weird gimmick.

I'd like to know what these ridiculously stable sniper rifles are, though. If I don't headshot (or if my bullet gets eaten by a lagshield) I'm usually dead since everyone else can apparently just hurrdurr two bodyshots.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do miss Firefly, but with chain of woe Hawkmoon has a pretty fast reload. Better range and stability too.

You're welcome.
It's better in every way minus Firefly and Arc Damage. Better against bosses because of the bonus damage rounds. But not that much better, and Fatebringer has the "is a legendary" trait. :p In practice I feel like Hawkmoon does a good job justifying its use of your exotic slot if you're using an exotic primary, but exotic specials and heavies are often the better choice in PvE.

Sullichin

It's hysterical that my final challenge to reach level 30 in this game is against the bordem for farming helium coils.

I know the different spots on the moon, but what's the absolute best one to keep looping through?

So playing as a 26 in IB was interesting.

Apart from being a bit more squishy doing a bit less damage, it wasn't all that bad. In fact I found myself finsihing positive most of te time and even topped the leaderboard once or twice.

LordofPwn

It's better in every way minus Firefly and Arc Damage. Better against bosses because of the bonus damage rounds. But not that much better, and Fatebringer has the "is a legendary" trait. :p In practice I feel like Hawkmoon does a good job justifying its use of your exotic slot if you're using an exotic primary, but exotic specials and heavies are often the better choice in PvE.
If you have Hawkmoon, but not Fatebringer. Hawkmoon works great in the VoG during confluxes, and gatekeeper.

If every weapon tops out at 300 damage rating, how exactly is damage calculated? I still dont get it.

Per weapon class. damage times impact.factoring in range and if a crit. and then you have to factor in enemy level vs player lvl vs enemy species, type, and any modifiers. it's really a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

What? Explosive rounds takes away damage? The fuck?

So...I shouldn't use Explosive Rounds then?

see my post a bit above with the math. Single target crit is lower for most things. otherwise it technically does more damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Vision does more damage than MIDA.
fair enough, that should be fixed. I assume Bad Juju does less damage than some legendary pulse rifles too. I suppose I was talking about the exotics that aren't considered to need buffs. exotic base attack is higher than legendary

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you have Hawkmoon, but not Fatebringer. Hawkmoon works great in the VoG during confluxes, and gatekeeper.
Mhm, I've used Hawkmoon throughout the Normal raid and it works like a charm at just about every step of the way. In Hard, Oracles are too much for it and Gjallarhorn is too valuable not to use against the Gatekeepers.
Someone said they saw your Hawkmoon hitting in the 1100 range during raid and said FB was hitting in 1500 range.
Interesting, on what?

Yeah, I'd be hard pressed to give up my Gjallar in PvE, but I'm just enjoying my Hawkmoon for now.

LordofPwn

fair enough, that should be fixed. I assume Bad Juju does less damage than some legendary pulse rifles too. I suppose I was talking about the exotics that aren't considered to need buffs. exotic base attack is higher than legendary
Exotics should have damage go up to like 320 instead of 300 like legendaries.

MIDA shoots much faster with hair trigger unlocked. Did you calculate DPS? Or just damage per hit?
Vision still does more with Full Auto working more single shot and DPS. theres a chart someone posted a week ago that showed this.

zewone

Mhm, I've used Hawkmoon throughout the Normal raid and it works like a charm at just about every step of the way. In Hard, Oracles are too much for it and Gjallarhorn is too valuable not to use against the Gatekeepers.

Interesting, on what?

I couldn't tell you, I wasn't watching the stream. I've been after a Hawkmoon as my last exotic weapon. But after seeing the damage difference between Fatebringer, it doesn't seem worth worrying about.

Corrective measure + hawkmoon is the best way to take down praetorian's for those of us without gjallarhorn. I also think hawkmoon is a lot more effective in hard mode confluxes/oracles (if doing legit) because Fatebringer has very shitty range. I can snipe hobgoblins with one shot with the hawkmoon. I get better range with ADS with TLW than I get with Fatebringer.

Outside of the raid though I prefer Fatebringer and I think it's just more fun to use. Just happy there are so many good hand cannons

Btw TLW is the shit

LordofPwn

I only speak for my friend who has 2 hawkmoons and no Gjallarhorn (the Hawkmooon eludes me for now)

Hoodbury

I'd like to know what these ridiculously stable sniper rifles are, though. If I don't headshot (or if my bullet gets eaten by a lagshield) I'm usually dead since everyone else can apparently just hurrdurr two bodyshots.

The raid sniper has basically no recoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom