• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari

Vision Of Confluence was shown to do more damage with ADS body (or non- critical shots) and significantly more damage during ADS critical or precision shots than Suros Regime. I think Suros was much closer with non- precision damage when firing from the hip (As DPS is higher by a small margin), but VoC still won. A lot of this is due to the recent Scout Rifle Buff (+% 6 overall damage) and Assault Rifle nerf (-% 2 overall damage and precision damage reduced from x1.50 to x1.25).

There was a Reddit link in one of the old topics with a guy who really broke down weapon damage and did comparisons that seemed pretty legit, so That's where I'm getting my info. It also feels true in my experience.

In my experience, I feel like I play better with a HC rather than my VoC. Whenever I auto fire the VoC it feels so slow, I can often land hits faster with my Red Hand IX with stability and hip fire perks. I don't have a Suros Regime though, so I can't compare the two.

Sullichin

I AM LEVEL 30

Of course the game found a way to troll me by giving me 9 helium filaments from the last chest when I only needed one more and was taking longer than normal to find a chest.

but fuck, I wish these gloves had handcannon reload speed perk. Will still use some normal legendaries in regular Crucible for that.

EL CUCO

You can get to 29 though, You don't need the blessing of RNGesus to do that... Honestly 30 is a stupid goal because you don't get any real benefits from it other then being a pimp.

Wait, if your goal is to be a pimp then ignore what I said.

Umm...you do more damage and take less damage as a 30 in high level PVE.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I'm going to take some new people through their first raid tonight. 2 hunters, 1titan. I play warlock.

When you get to the jumping puzzle, which jump abilities are best for them and which platforms are best?

I usually jump from first to second to third then jump for the ledge. Can hunters and Titans make this?

I know that Titans can, and I'm pretty sure Hunters can too. Lift control is the way to go for Titans.

TTG

Got the tractor looking spaceship from IB, yay? What are the weapon drops this time around, I know the Lash is making a return appearance.

This IB has finally freed me from sub level 30 worries on my main character. Yay! I'm glad I didn't have to rely on the vault of ass because that would have just given me my 6th set of gauntlets instead of some fracking boots. Now to get the arms for my hunter and I'll be done worrying until the next batch of rng rolls out.

zewone

My issue is I didn't know you needed ALL your gear to go up to 30 light to reach level 30. I guess it makes sense now that I've typed that sentence. :p

I don't really Raid, only done it once, don't really care much for it. I thought the Iron Banner gear would be enough to get me from level 28 to level 30. Now I'm in the hands of a random Raid and RNGeesus to reach level 30. Sucks.

If you aren't doing raid, you have no need to be a 30. And you can become 30 by playing Iron Banner the next time it comes around. More than likely it will have the 30 light helmet and chest. You can also replace a 30 light legendary with an exotic since it also gets to 30 light.

If you really want to get to 30, continue grinding IB and get the two pieces. You'll just have to wait longer to reach your goal.

zewone

I'm going to take some new people through their first raid tonight. 2 hunters, 1titan. I play warlock.

When you get to the jumping puzzle, which jump abilities are best for them and which platforms are best?

I usually jump from first to second to third then jump for the ledge. Can hunters and Titans make this?

All classes can make the jump I use.

Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veY_pZyK4R0

Does being level 30 even benefit me doing nightfall vs being level 29? Or does this only help in the Hard Raid?
Short answer: No.

You scale down to enemies, so any player 28 or higher will have a similar experience.

Only real benefit is hard mode raid and I'm sure the next raid.

EL CUCO

Take your common sense and truthfacts and go home. I was trying to be positive... I failed.
pimp-walking.gif

blazeuk

Finally this weeks raid actually gave me something different, got the gloves I needed (just the helmet needed now) and Hezen Vengeance. That's without doing Atheon too since it bugged out and didn't teleport anyone and then everyone left (which seems common with using the LFG website).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Impact stat.

Impact and level pretty much.

If you have Hawkmoon, but not Fatebringer. Hawkmoon works great in the VoG during confluxes, and gatekeeper.

Per weapon class. damage times impact.factoring in range and if a crit. and then you have to factor in enemy level vs player lvl vs enemy species, type, and any modifiers. it's really a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

see my post a bit above with the math. Single target crit is lower for most things. otherwise it technically does more damage.

Hmm.

jett

D-Member
You can get to 29 though, You don't need the blessing of RNGesus to do that... Honestly 30 is a stupid goal because you don't get any real benefits from it other then being a pimp.

Wait, if your goal is to be a pimp then ignore what I said.

If you aren't doing raid, you have no need to be a 30. And you can become 30 by playing Iron Banner the next time it comes around. More than likely it will have the 30 light helmet and chest. You can also replace a 30 light legendary with an exotic since it also gets to 30 light.

If you really want to get to 30, continue grinding IB and get the two pieces. You'll just have to wait longer to reach your goal.

I want to be 30...for reasons.

Wouldn't the Nightfall and the Weekly@lvl28 be easier though?

I'll continue IB'ing because it's fun and well level 29 is better than nothing, and yeah maybe it will have different gear next time. :p

LordofPwn

Are the heavy hitting rounds the way to go with the Suros? I always went for the Perfect Balance upgrade...
It's a preference thing. I use perfect balance, but i've lost enough VoC vs Suros with heavy hitting to consider switching.

Is there a good guide that tells you how to get all the cards?
Destiny Tracker can tell you which cards your missing.

Yes. I'll post it later when I get away from my phone.

Also. Just double checked I'm missing 190 points from the grimoire. I have 30 points worth of unfinished cards so 2660 is the legit max. Max obtainable is probably is probably 2720.
What's the easy solution for getting Seige Dancers Card?

matmanx1

I asked on a previous page but this thread is trucking along so I can understand why it might be missed but: Anyone use Universal Remote or have at least leveled it up to see if it's worth using? It certainly is unique and unique looking.

CLBridges

Got up to rank 3 IB last night, also Timur's Lash dropped in my last match. I don't know when I would ever use this gun between all the others, but I'll keep it for now. The only thing I need for my alt. character are the gauntlets at rank 4 so hopefully I can grind it out today possibly.

LiK

It's one of the top two assault rifles, and was basically handed out for free twice. Easy to use, too.

With everyone using them, it gets annoying fast.

Not that bad. I'd rather face a team full of Suros than HCs and FRs. No one really knows how to use Suros well. They tend to just stand there and let me kill them with my Suros. A lot of people bought it but it's not quite the major killer for me compared to other gun types.

I would say FRs are far easier to use than any Suros. Just aim from hip and instant kill.

I asked on a previous page but this thread is trucking along so I can understand why it might be missed but: Anyone use Universal Remote or have at least leveled it up to see if it's worth using? It certainly is unique and unique looking.

I've got it. After the shotgun nerf a while back it became drastically less usable. You end up being stuck with having to use a non-exotic FR to compensate for midrange engagements, and honestly some legendary shotguns (like the comedian) are just as effective.

And imo shotguns don't make a ton of sense in PvE. I use it purely for the stly points in crucible.

LordofPwn

I've got it. After the shotgun nerf a while back it became drastically less usable. You end up being stuck with having to use a non-exotic FR to compensate for midrange engagements, and honestly some legendary shotguns (like the comedian) are just as effective.

And imo shotguns don't make a ton of sense in PvE. I use it purely for the stly points in crucible.

Shotguns are fun but not effective enough in PVE, especially when so much higher level content almost requires you to keep a distance. Rolling with a shotgun with lightswitch is suicide.

Jito

Banned
Kinda funny Bungie doing that weekly update article on the Destiny Public Events site then the next week completely fucking them over by changing the event timers and not even telling them!

How is eliminate the target event still so broken, they just teleport across the map when they feel like it?!

GhaleonEB

So my new character is playing through the story, and is up to the second mission on Venus. It's the one where we break into an archive for, um, something. I played it this morning and realized how it's a good example of how poorly so many of Destiny's encounters are designed.

The setup is we've broken into an archive just ahead of the Fallen, to gather what we can before they raid and destroy it. There's one large entry door which spills out into a fairly large, two level complex of platforms and catwalks. Upon activating the central computer, Dinklebot informs us that the Fallen have followed us in. Cue the end of level siege battle.

The archive is set up for a pretty good one. The main door is wide and there is a large column in front of part of the entrance, making it an ideal entry way for a large volume of enemies. The open entry combined with a column they can flow around will make it very difficult for one or even a few players to hold down. Eventually we'd be pushed further and further back into the complex, changing levels and areas to manage the battle. It seems a pretty cool battle is on tap.

That's not how it plays out, though. Instead of following us in through the giant entrance we just came though, the Fallen spawn into the area through several of those darkened doorways that we can't pass. Monster closets, in other words. Inside the complex.

From a story standpoint, I wonder if the mission designers were in communication with the writers. The story is we broke in, and were followed, so having guys spawn from other entrances doesn't make any sense. But the impact on the gameplay is worse. Instead of the challenge of the encounter stemming from our efforts to hold down the entrance, it stems from the enemies that spawn in from all directions, many of them cloaked.

In other words, it plays out exactly like every other siege battle in the game, despite having a unique set up and excellent environment for a unique encounter. The way I manage it, since I play on Hard mode solo, is to reverse the battlefield: I hang out near the entrance, and kill the enemies that spawn inside the complex. Which from a story standpoint, makes no sense whatsoever. It's also kind of tedious, as each wave plays out the same as the last (until the final bullet sponge comes into play): kill enemies, working into the complex slowly. Then back out and do it again. And again.

The updates to Destiny have been pretty good - this last one was excellent - but this is the kind of meat and potatoes work I wish would go into refining the game. More than anything, this is the kind of thing that makes the missions much less enjoyable than they could be.

zewone

You still do more damage and take less on Nightfalls and weekly heroics. It's not "needed" at all, but nice to have.

Nah, it was tested awhile ago. Damage is the same if you are the same level as the mob or any level above it.

final results doing damage with the same EXACT weapon at the same TYPE OF MOB (lvl 24 acolyte) by just changing my light level

Light 21: 184 dmg
Light 23: 261 dmg
Light 24: 383 dmg
Light 26: 383 dmg
Light 28: 383 dmg

Thanks! I want to look at the guide.

Beginning Grimoire Hunting:
Okay, so step one is to identify what Dead Ghosts you are missing, as well as what Grimoire score you are missing. This is most easily done at DestinyTracker.com

For instance:
http://destinytracker.com/destiny/grimoire/ps/Kor_of_Memory

Use the [Missing Only] button at the top and see what I don't have. A quick scan shows that I need to generally play my Warlock and Hunter more and that I need to kill more Hydras and Ogres. Also, avoid Pulse Rifles if I can help it, since I have those maxed out already.

Now, if I Ctrl+F for Fragment, I see I'm missing 2 Dead Ghosts. Darkness 3, and Old Russia.

Now, we're going to compared that to this list here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DQZTwmCgcOhhH0YiMta4oNTeNtpZ1L3MCDMsEgQgzAc/edit

It looks like both of my missing cards are on Earth, so I'll use the link at the top of the google doc to find them. Earth 4 and Earth 11 in this video: http://bit.ly/rc_earth

Advanced Grimoire Hunting:
Most of the blocked off content in this game has a Dead Ghost floating around in it somewhere. While this ghost does not unlock any new Grimoire cards, it does add to your overall Grimoire Score. Here is where things get tricky.

You'll have to look up guides on how to break into areas that you shouldn't be in, some of them require teammates, so make note of that. Now, once you find out how to get into places, you're going to have to do some ghost hunting yourself. Thankfully most of the locations are small.

The most bang for your buck can be found in the Terminus. Basically a small jumping puzzle to get into, there are 3 easy to find Dead Ghosts in there.

Seraphim Vault (Part of the RAS-Bunker) has 1 ghost that I've found, but this area requires a second person to access. I've heard of a 2nd ghost here, but never seen one myself.

King's Watch I have never been in, but I've seen 2 ghosts in videos, and have heard of a 3rd. I'm wary to go into this location as apparently one of the dead ghosts actually awarded some players with a new ghost shell. Unfortunately, the Bungie BAN HAMMER scans for this and was banning accounts for obtaining said item. I believe you no longer receive the new Ghost Shell, but I stay away just in case. Not worth it in my Opinion.

Jovian Complex currently has no Ghosts in it.

The Black Garden secret area has no Ghosts in it.

I have not explored any of the Moon areas, as I figure I'll get to those in a couple of weeks anyway, and it's not worth the jumping puzzle headaches.

And that is pretty much everything I know about Grimoire score.

I got some awesome stuff from the nightfall this week on my characters

• another swarm (this is my most common drop in the entire game, cant get away from these damn guns)
  • another random bad shotgun
  • 9 energies

My total haul: 13 energy

This is exactly the same as last week except the shotgun wasn't solar and the swarm was void.

I feel you man. I got two crash shotguns lol I'm drowning in shotguns at this point and I never use them

Just finished getting my third titan up to level 20 (quick trip to the reserve armour in the vault, and she's instantly 29)

Hasn't helped my Nightfall drops though. Consistent useless trash. Oh well! lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You still do more damage and take less on Nightfalls and weekly heroics. It's not "needed" at all, but nice to have.
So far as I know, this is not correct whatsoever.
Well then...that's news to me. Even then damage taken?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...is_how_light_levels_affect_your_gameplay_and/

Both level 29 and level 30, as it stands, are relevant only to Iron Banner and the Hard Raid. Level 28 puts you at a sort of cap for the majority of content in the game, from Nightfall/Dailies/Weeklies to all raid Encounters and (obviously) regular Crucible.

Worst exotic in game for PVE focused player like myself... Even after you get the unique upgrade the range has been killed by the shotgun nerf.

The last time I bothered to use it I noticed that any hits outside of normal shotgun range but within universal remote range will register as "immune".
I've been given 4 of these fucking things if I never saw another ever again it would be to soon. Lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Would love to get in on some IB action later tonight. Playing with a team is so much better. Playing with randoms is basically free for all except that you cannot hurt 5 other people.

NeOak

So my new character is playing through the story, and is up to the second mission on Venus. It's the one where we break into an archive for, um, something. I played it this morning and realized how it's a good example of how poorly so many of Destiny's encounters are designed.

The setup is we've broken into an archive just ahead of the Fallen, to gather what we can before they raid and destroy it. There's one large entry door which spills out into a fairly large, two level complex of platforms and catwalks. Upon activating the central computer, Dinklebot informs us that the Fallen have followed us in. Cue the end of level siege battle.

The archive is set up for a pretty good one. The main door is wide and there is a large column in front of part of the entrance, making it an ideal entry way for a large volume of enemies. The open entry combined with a column they can flow around will make it very difficult for one or even a few players to hold down. Eventually we'd be pushed further and further back into the complex, changing levels and areas to manage the battle. It seems a pretty cool battle is on tap.

That's not how it plays out, though. Instead of following us in through the giant entrance we just came though, the Fallen spawn into the area through several of those darkened doorways that we can't pass. Monster closets, in other words. Inside the complex.

From a story standpoint, I wonder if the mission designers were in communication with the writers. The story is we broke in, and were followed, so having guys spawn from other entrances doesn't make any sense. But the impact on the gameplay is worse. Instead of the challenge of the encounter stemming from our efforts to hold down the entrance, it stems from the enemies that spawn in from all directions, many of them cloaked.

In other words, it plays out exactly like every other siege battle in the game, despite having a unique set up and excellent environment for a unique encounter.

The updates to Destiny have been pretty good - this last one was excellent - but this is the kind of meat and potatoes work I wish would go into refining the game. More than anything, this is the kind of thing that makes the missions much less enjoyable than they could be.
Now that youth mention it, yeah. How the enemies spawn is annoying.

It goes into how what we got story wise feels like it was put together in the last six months of development.

LordofPwn

Kinda funny Bungie doing that weekly update article on the Destiny Public Events site then the next week completely fucking them over by changing the event timers and not even telling them!

How is eliminate the target event still so broken, they just teleport across the map when they feel like it?!

Punch them and they won't teleport. also public events are meant to be done with more than a couple people.

Trakan

Not that bad. I'd rather face a team full of Suros than HCs and FRs. No one really knows how to use Suros well. They tend to just stand there and let me kill them with my Suros. A lot of people bought it but it's not quite the major killer for me compared to other gun types.

I would say FRs are far easier to use than any Suros. Just aim from hip and instant kill.

FRs are easier. They are worse than the Suros, you're right.

That doesn't change anything I said about the Suros though.

Is it worth getting the 77 Wizard if I already have a maxed void LIGHT/Beware? I guess I could give it to an alt....

Not much else worth buying. :/

Jito

Banned
Punch them and they won't teleport. also public events are meant to be done with more than a couple people.

Now you're making up excuses for their bugs, I'm sure Psions aren't meant to be able to teleport across the map without any indication at all. Psions don't teleport as is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom