• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of good weapons, I am still kind of limited since I haven't been able to purchase much from Xur and only have a couple raid clears.

My dream is to get VoC and Gjallahorn, but until then I am choosing what primary to focus on since I don't have tons of time to level them up or get the energy.

I already have Scout rifle A.1F19X-RYL maxed since I got it a long time ago from a legendary engram. It is servicable and handles well but I know I can do better.

Deciding if I should focus on Shadow Price, TDYK or Atheons Epilogue. I have the Ass Energy to max one now. Which would give me best bang for buck. My othe option is Pocket Infinity or the Hezen rocket launcher. Seems like I should get a Special or heavy maxed but don't want to waste it if I get something better to replace it.

Any ideas for direction?

phen0m24

I have to admit I was one of those 'don't give me the relic' guys until Bungie forced the randomness in the patch.

Now I can use it pretty confidently and it's more fun for me. In spite of whatever the motivation was to make this change I kinda like it.

Me too. I ran with deafmedal's group Saturday night, and I was on relic detail every teleport (that I was in). Learned fast and learned to enjoy it!

Well I've survived my first time through the raid, took only an hour an a half with 3 players having done it before and 3 new players to it including me. Got chatterwhite, a load of ascendant shards and Hezen Vengeance (is this any good?). Was pretty fun!

Hezen Vengeance is the poor man/woman's (Unlucky man/woman's) gjallarhorn

It's actually pretty good

DiscreteCat

Neo Member
I'm going to try one more time but if not, you guys might need to replace me. Sorry about this.

Edit: Still no luck, I might have to call it a day.

hydruxo

Speaking of good weapons, I am still kind of limited since I haven't been able to purchase much from Xur and only have a couple raid clears.

My dream is to get VoC and Gjallahorn, but until then I am choosing what primary to focus on since I don't have tons of time to level them up or get the energy.

I already have Scout rifle A.1F19X-RYL maxed since I got it a long time ago from a legendary engram. It is servicable and handles well but I know I can do better.

Deciding if I should focus on Shadow Price, TDYK or Atheons Epilogue. I have the Ass Energy to max one now. Which would give me best bang for buck. My othe option is Pocket Infinity or the Hezen rocket launcher. Seems like I should get a Special or heavy maxed but don't want to waste it if I get something better to replace it.

Any ideas for direction?

I say go with TDYK. That was the first weapon I maxed out and it served me very well for a long time. Assuming yours is the one from the vendor, the perks on it are really great already. Not sure what class you're running but if it's a Hunter, TDYK with Chain of Woe and Gunslingers Trance is really good.

Trakan

The raid checkmarks on the Bungie website are the drops for Oracles, Templar, Gatekeeper, and Atheon right? I swear I've done them all on my Titan this week, but it says I'm missing one on normal and hard. I don't know how that's possible.

I say go with TDYK. That was the first weapon I maxed out and it served me very well for a long time. Assuming yours is the one from the vendor, the perks on it are really great already. Not sure what class you're running but if it's a Hunter, TDYK with Chain of Woe and Gunslingers Trance is really good.

TDYK was from a random engram. I do have a lvl28 hunter so that could work well. I haven't played a lot with hand cannons, but this could be a nice change of pace.

Right now if possible.

Otherwise can you help with nightfall? I'll play with my 30 hunter then just switch near the end to my 25 titan.

Sorry for disappearing, had a family mini-emergency and then the internet died. Trying to log back in if you still need help.

I keep getting a disconnection error called "marionberry" which is a berry. Marion Barry was the Washington D.C. mayor who got re-elected even after getting caught smoking crack on camera. America, fuck yeah.

Daemul

You like red death?

My favourite gun in the game. It was a bit hard to use at first, since unlike other top tier Pulse Rifles like Super Pox and F&S, it doesn't have high stabilty, but once I learnt to control it, it was glorious. What it lacks in stability it more than makes up for in impact, two bursts downs a player at max health in the Crucible.

I love how it is so overlooked and people choose to chase the flashy exotics like TLW instead, the less players using it, the less likely you'll hear calls for it to be nerfed. Not that it will ever be nerfed mind you, Bungie have already balanced it by giving it lower range and stability compared to other top tier Pulse Rifles.

If you want to imagine what an utterly broken Red Death would be like, just picture a Super Pox with Red Deaths impact, healing ability and staggering bullets. Many tears would be shed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Was out grabbing dinner and I saw a Gamestop. Made a tactical decision, and bought the Destiny Expansion Pass for $35. Note that at least in Florida apparently, no tax on PS4 codes but yes tax on Xbox One codes o_O

If you've been listening to me rant and rave about this game from the beginning you'll know I originally wasn't planning to buy the DLC right away if at all, since $20 is *quite* steep for mere content/items. I'm not big on paid DLC as a life-extender in the first place honestly. I figured I'd wait for some kind of sale or price drop. Really what convinced me was having a static raid group with 5 others who all said they'd be buying it so that we could stick together and keep the group going with the new raid. I can't wait for that.

But I went ahead and thought about it and broke it down and I'm pretty comfortable with $35 for the two releases. This is where I'm putting the value:

Raid: $7 - this is the big ticket item... pretty hyped for it, honestly. and I basically thought to myself, if they just released a new raid, what would I be willing to pay for it? $10 was too much, $5 I'd do in a heartbeat. So, $7 is my arbitrary price to pay for a new raid.
2 New Strikes: $2 - a buck each. Honestly this content isn't particularly difficult to put together and the one we know about is still a giant-regular-enemy-boss. Gotta say, if you're on Xbone missing a whole 100% in this category really rather sucks
3 New PvP maps: $4 - I went back and looked at what Halo 2 map packs cost... $12 for 5 maps, damn!
New gear and weapons (specifically exotics): $3 - I didn't expect to give much of a crap about the weapons in Destiny (I liked all the Halo 2 weapons, but they never really made me giddy except for the sword), but playing around with Thorn for a few matches last night, a gun I wouldn't even put in my top 4 or 5 in this game, I realized that Destiny contains several of my favorite FPS weapons of all time. Damn. And even the ones I don't like, I want in my collection. The poké-urge is real and severe. Give me moar.
Raised Light Cap: $0 - This does nothing for me and I wish they weren't doing it. Still, I understand a big part of the playerbase just demands vertical progression and I can tolerate a two-level increase per go.
New Story Missions/Bounties: $2 - Honestly, that $2 is assigned out of good faith. I have absolutely no expectation for any compelling narrative whatsoever and expect more confusion/barebones plot and characterization. I appreciate that they're making some effort and not just releasing the thing without any story components whatsoever- which they easily could have done- but I expect to be reading Grimoire cards again to get anything meaningful out of this.

So that's $18, and with the expansion pass "discount," each is $17.50 exactly. So I'm pretty much alright with the value proposition.

That said, within my total $35 purchase, I am counting on the new, third subclasses. I really enjoy all the classes in Destiny and this would seriously extend the game's longevity for me. If it doesn't come at least by House of Wolves I will be extremely disappointed.

I'm officially in love with Pocket Infinity. First time I used it in Crucible since I put auto fire on it. Don't even have the stability perk yet. But don't really need it? It seems rather decent to control.. But I'll have to see.

Exclusively used it in this match. 4.0 isn't bad.
It's decent to control, sure, just... just wait. Perfect Balance will turn your love affair into a wedding.
Well I've survived my first time through the raid, took only an hour an a half with 3 players having done it before and 3 new players to it including me. Got chatterwhite, a load of ascendant shards and Hezen Vengeance (is this any good?). Was pretty fun!
Congrats on your first clear! edit: Hezen Vengeance is probably the best Legendary rocket launcher in the game.
That would only be acceptable if Legendary Engrams got a big boost to drop rates.
It wouldn't be acceptable under any circumstances :p Legendary Engrams should drop Legendary items, or be called something else.

Sorry for disappearing, had a family mini-emergency and then the internet died. Trying to log back in if you still need help.

I keep getting a disconnection error called "marionberry" which is a berry. Marion Barry was the Washington D.C. mayor who got re-elected even after getting caught smoking crack on camera. America, fuck yeah.

I thought as much, I was getting beaver errors earlier. I'll wait a bit if you can make it, otherwise I'll leave it.

Thanks.

It wouldn't be acceptable under any circumstances :p Legendary Engrams should drop Legendary items, or be called something else.

Please don't give them ideas. "All upgrade materials will now be classified as legendary".

Lol, I didn't say it was a good idea, but could be a trade off.

Regardless, it isn't needed. If you get something you don't want you can just shard it anyway so might as well be guaranteed gear.

HighOnPCP

Still looking to do the hard raid. If someone's still doing the raid in about an hour or so and needs a lvl 30 warlock hit me up on PSN: HighOnPCP

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, here's a question- forget about the guns you think Bungie will nerf because they hate fun, which guns are left that you think deserve a nerf?

I've been thinking about this a lot and honestly it's tougher that you might expect. I think any gun left there's a case to be made that it's at least not op, and a few exotics need buffs.

in pvp I guess, the obvious answers imo would be suros regime, voc, fusion rifles in general, found verdict, and, well, thunderlord is pretty goddamned ridiculous. and honestly, pocket infinity, despite the "nerf" is pretty nutso in the right hands. but eh. I can't really get worked up about any of them. suros is definitely still a good-for-everything gun and it's a worthy exotic AR, but it does cost you the slot, and there are plenty of great ARs you can run in the Crucible, while also having a game-changing exotic on you. No doubt, if you're getting headshots with it it's still a beast, but I say if you want to run suros in the crucible, fine. If I can't beat someone using it now in a 1v1 I think it's at least my fault.

patchday

Was out grabbing dinner and I saw a Gamestop. Made a tactical decision, and bought the Destiny Expansion Pass for $35. Note that at least in Florida apparently, no tax on PS4 codes but yes tax on Xbox One codes o_O

If you've been listening to me rant and rave about this game from the beginning you'll know I originally wasn't planning to buy the DLC right away if at all, since $20 is *quite* steep for mere content/items. I'm not big on paid DLC as a life-extender in the first place honestly. I figured I'd wait for some kind of sale or price drop. Really what convinced me was having a static raid group with 5 others who all said they'd be buying it so that we could stick together and keep the group going with the new raid. I can't wait for that.

But I went ahead and thought about it and broke it down and I'm pretty comfortable with $35 for the two releases. This is where I'm putting the value:

Raid: $7 - this is the big ticket item... pretty hyped for it, honestly. and I basically thought to myself, if they just released a new raid, what would I be willing to pay for it? $10 was too much, $5 I'd do in a heartbeat. So, $7 is my arbitrary price to pay for a new raid.
2 New Strikes: $2 - a buck each. Honestly this content isn't particularly difficult to put together and the one we know about is still a giant-regular-enemy-boss. Gotta say, if you're on Xbone missing a whole 100% in this category really rather sucks
3 New PvP maps: $4 - I went back and looked at what Halo 2 map packs cost... $12 for 5 maps, damn!
New gear and weapons (specifically exotics): $3 - I didn't expect to give much of a crap about the weapons in Destiny (I liked all the Halo 2 weapons, but they never really made me giddy except for the sword), but playing around with Thorn for a few matches last night, a gun I wouldn't even put in my top 4 or 5 in this game, I realized that Destiny contains several of my favorite FPS weapons of all time. Damn. And even the ones I don't like, I want in my collection. The poké-urge is real and severe. Give me moar.
Raised Light Cap: $0 - This does nothing for me and I wish they weren't doing it. Still, I understand a big part of the playerbase just demands vertical progression and I can tolerate a two-level increase per go.

I am doubtful I am going to buy the expansion unless you guys have a lot of great things to say about it after it releases. There's a slew of new games coming out on the 18th that have my interests.

Maybe if the new raid didn't have the weekly lockout I'd be much more eager. I just have the feeling they will put restrictions on the tiny little content in the DLC to artifically extend the game's life til the next DLC :(

I would just pay money for the new Crucible content but no new modes is a major buzz kill.

A new subclass or more character slots would make the game feel a bit less oppressive.

This game has so much potential... If they would loosen up a bit and have more confidence in their fun factor I'd have no issue paying for the DLC. I purchased the Halo DLCs without a second thought. But this game.... Just not sure if I should reward them for this game released in such a state

To be brief- my issues why I'm not planning to buy DLC:

• Raid lockout is BS. The raids can be completed within an hour. Feels silly to have a weekly lockout
  • Crucible feels bare bones. No voice chat for the teams is super frustrating. They have shown no desire to fix
  • No matchmaking for Nightfall and weeklies.

Since they are showing no desire to fix the core issues that would only take a little bit of their time, I see no reason to continue funding them.

Still will continue to play the game I already bought though and enjoy it. Because it provided me with many hours of entertainment

hydruxo

My favourite gun in the game. It was a bit hard to use at first, since unlike other top tier Pulse Rifles like Super Pox and F&S, it doesn't have high stabilty, but once I learnt to control it, it was glorious. What it lacks in stability it more than makes up for in impact, two bursts downs a player at max health in the Crucible.

I love how it is so overlooked and people choose to chase the flashy exotics like TLW instead, the less players using it, the less likely you'll hear calls for it to be nerfed. Not that it will ever be nerfed mind you, Bungie have already balanced it by giving it lower range and stability compared to other top tier Pulse Rifles.

If you want to imagine what an utterly broken Red Death would be like, just picture a Super Pox with Red Deaths impact, healing ability and staggering bullets. Many tears would be shed.

Yeah it's the best kept secret as far as exotics go. I guess people' disdain for pulse rifles has kind of made them look down on Red Death, but it's really a great weapon.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hard Raid Gatekeepers + Atheon, Twice

Running it on my 29 Hunter and 30 Titan:
@9PM EST

1. GraveRobberX

Please no level 28

HighOnPCP

Okay, here's a question- forget about the guns you think Bungie will nerf because they hate fun, which guns are left that you think deserve a nerf?

I've been thinking about this a lot and honestly it's tougher that you might expect. I think any gun left there's a case to be made that it's at least not op, and a few exotics need buffs.

in pvp I guess, the obvious answers imo would be suros regime, voc, fusion rifles in general, found verdict, and, well, thunderlord is pretty goddamned ridiculous. and honestly, pocket infinity, despite the "nerf" is pretty nutso in the right hands. but eh. I can't really get worked up about any of them. suros is definitely still a good-for-everything gun and it's a worthy exotic AR, but it does cost you the slot, and there are plenty of great ARs you can run in the Crucible, while also having a game-changing exotic on you. No doubt, if you're getting headshots with it it's still a beast, but I say if you want to run suros in the crucible, fine. If I can't beat someone using it now in a 1v1 I think it's at least my fault.

Imo there should be no nerfs to strong weapons but rather buffs to the weaker ones.
In every game they start nerfing stuff there will be a new "op" weapon guaranteed. There is no perfect balance but people will more likely complain about one or two great weapons if the rest is just shit. If every weapon is at least viable, everybody will play what they like and not what everybody thinks is the best.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe if the new raid didn't have the weekly lockout I'd be much more eager. I just have the feeling they will put restrictions on the tiny little content in the DLC to artifically extend the game's life til the next DLC :(
I hear you, but I also honestly don't really have time to raid more than 3 times a week, hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom