• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Thinking back to the awful IB match we had last night with Gaffers, I felt good about shutting down the guy who had a 15-kill streak. I basically hunted him down. He tried to kill me with Golden Gun but failed. I should've saved the clip, that was worth it, lol

Sullichin

I'm getting a little bit jelly listening to all of your successes in PVP. I've never had a 10 kill streak and have trouble completing most bounties. I don't have the most experience at first person shooters in a PVP environment anyway so the learning curve for Destiny Crucible and IB has been pretty steep.

I think I am getting better. I hope I am getting better. Some games I easily finish with a K/D of higher than 1 but other games I hang around a .6 or .7. I enjoy playing my Titan but I feel like it's the bottom tier class in terms of PVP, especially in terms of getting kills.

That being said, maybe I am just not using my class to its fullest potential. Any really successful Titan PVP'ers out there have any tips for killing more and dieing less? I've read just about everything in this thread that's been written on how to PVP and I feel like I follow that advice pretty well but I am still a little bit frustrated.

In Control matches I tend to stick with Defender for the bubble but I am sorely tempted to switch back to Striker just so I can ground pound and toss lightning grenades at control points. Thoughts?

As a Warlock, Titans kill me with these things:

- Shoulder Charge
- Fist of Havoc
- Their weapons

I rarely fall into the trap that is the bubble, and can destroy it with my super. It's obviously great for capping points but, especially if you're not with a team of friends, you'll probably rack up more kills with Fist of Havoc.

For tonight's Newbie raid:

I had totally blanked and forgot that haunted_taco had already reserved a slot. My bad! RetroMG, I'm sorry, since you were the last to sign up I gotta bump you to first Alt. PMing you too. I'll be hitting you up first if we have any no-shows, so please do stay by your console!

This is the roster for 8:15EST:
1. schwagger15 (if you can make it!)
2. Hawkian
3. someday
4. BEHOLDER-Y
5. RidliMM
6. haunted_taco

If you end up needing help I'd be more than happy to lend you my 29 titan. Had a lot of fun helping out on last week's run!

PSN: raizel76

Daemul

Fully unlocked all the upgrades on my new Raid gauntlets, IB boots and a few weapons, now I need to collect 232 Helium, 144 Spirit Bloom and 48 Relic Iron to.upgrade them all. Should be fun.

(ノಠ ∩ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Nah, I'm kidding, chest spawn trapping will make it easy. Shouldn't take more than 60-90 minutes.

Min-maxing my Titan has turned out to be much easier than I thought it would be. With the Raid throwing armour pieces at me and with the amazing stat roll on the IB Titan boots, my Titan is now at his max potential.

Sullichin

The 7 dmg DoT was insane, and I loved every tick of it. I wonder if the 3 dmg is a sign of stacking to come. I would be fine with a 2-3x stack (6 or 9 dmg total), itw ould still kill in two shots if headshots but would not be as brutal as a one shot at a distance ( DoT dmg does NOT drop off at range like reg dmg).
That sounds fine. Basically as long as I can still two-shot headshot in Crucible, I'll be happy with Thorn again, and it will again be the best PVP handcannon

EL CUCO

The 7 dmg DoT was insane, and I loved every tick of it. I wonder if the 3 dmg is a sign of stacking to come. I would be fine with a 2-3x stack (6 or 9 dmg total), it would still kill in two shots if headshots but would not be as brutal as a one shot at a distance ( DoT dmg does NOT drop off at range like reg dmg).

As a regular Thorn user, I'd completely be ok with 3 dmg DOT if it stacked. They should also add 2 bullets and make the reload faster. That would make it a little better in PVE, as it stands now its basically an exclusive PVP weapon.

That sounds fine. Basically as long as I can still two-shot headshot in Crucible, I'll be happy with Thorn again, and it will again be the best PVP handcannon

You can still two crit shot in Crucible...well...Iron Banner, atleast. I haven't tried the nerf Thorn in regular Crucible yet.

jett

D-Member
A maxed The Last Word is a monster in Iron Banner. Nothing you can do against it.

There just aren't enough people out there with it maxed for anyone to notice.

It will be nerfed eventually.

Yeah I don't understand the people saying it isn't OP. TLW has a seriously low TTK.

Sullichin

Fully unlocked all the upgrades on my new Raid gauntlets, IB boots and a few weapons, now I need to collect 232 Helium, 144 Spirit Bloom and 48 Relic Iron to.upgrade them all. Should be fun.

(ノಠ ∩ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Nah, I'm kidding, chest spawn trapping will make it easy. Shouldn't take more than 60-90 minutes.

Min-maxing my Titan has turned out to be much easier than I thought it would be. With the Raid throwing armour pieces at me and with the amazing stat roll on the IB Titan boots, my Titan is now at his max potential.

What do you mean stat roll on the IB boots?? Is it possible to re-roll IB armor and I missed it, or are you just talking about he version the vendor sells?

matmanx1

Iron Banner is good and fun
Levels actually matter, thank christ

I can't stress how broken Shoulder Charge is

I kill people using Shoulder Charge against me as often as they kill me with it. It seems like stepping back or strafing will often throw off the charge and then you can just punch them. It's certainly a high reward move but I also think there's a high risk factor so in that it seems balanced to me.

Obviously if you never see them coming they are going to get you but at that point they could have just used a regular melee, shotgun, fusion rifle or anything else to kill you. Shoulder Charge is just flashy and stylish so it is easy to hate.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As a regular Thorn user, I'd completely be ok with 3 dmg DOT if it stacked. They should also add 2 bullets and make the reload faster. That would make it a little better in PVE, as it stands now its basically an exclusive PVP weapon.
lol

"everyone is using Thorn in the Crucible now, please nerf"

X-Frame

Do any Defender Titans find success in PvP using their Helm of Saint-14 buffed bubble as an area denial tactic?

I saw a reddit post yesterday about using it not to throw over objectives but rather to deploy in high traffic areas so that enemies either come through blinded or they find a different route.

I envision speccing it into Blessing of Light so teammates can pass through and get an over-shield and then place it in an area that leads to a control point I'm trying to capture or defend.

Enemies will be less likely to waste a super to destroy it if nobody is inside and if I spec into Bastion that shield will last 45 seconds which is a lot of time to funnel enemies into routes my team can guard.

I just find that against a smart team they're not likely to just wander into your bubble to get melee'd to death and they're more likely to have counters for a bubble on a spawn point with the Titan plus allies hanging out inside. It's almost like a big target painted on your back.

I kill people using Shoulder Charge against me as often as they kill me with it. It seems like stepping back or strafing will often throw off the charge and then you can just punch them. It's certainly a high reward move but I also think there's a high risk factor so in that it seems balanced to me.

Obviously if you never see them coming they are going to get you but at that point they could have just used a regular melee, shotgun, fusion rifle or anything else to kill you. Shoulder Charge is just flashy and stylish so it is easy to hate.
You do know it has a rudimentary lock-on, right?
Can do some seriously crazy shit in PvE

flkraven

I really don't understand the excitement people have for levels/gear mattering. People's are mainly at levels 28-29, all with nearly the exact same gear, and then you pepper in a few people like me, levels 23-25, that are basically just cannon fodder to pump up the egos of people that have played longer.

Sorry if it comes off as upset. This is my first special event in Destiny, and it seems that playing time or RNG luck is > skill/ability to play well. I can unload a clip into a guys face and meanwhile get 2 shot by the same guy with the same type of weapon.

I just don't understand who wins in this type of game style? Do people feel good beating up on people that have half the defence and do half the damage? Starting with a massive handicap, how is that rewarding? On the other end, it sure as hell isn't rewarding being the guy at a massive disadvantage. And the people not in those two extremes, the people playing against other people their same level: how is that any different than normal crucible?

Yay, finally have enough Raid gear to hit 30! Been a pretty stellar loot week for me:

- Plan C
- Warlock Gloves
- Warlock Boots
- Patience and Time
- Heart of the Praxic Fire (already owned, which I could give it to someone)

Now just to farm mats and level weapons for Hard Mode. A 30 with maxed AE and IB should do OK, correct? My heavy slot is my weak point. I have been sticking to normal to try and learn most of the mechanics and roles.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Anyone experiencing issues with the full auto perk? I used the VoC last night with the perk unlocked and it stops firing at random times, the same happens with The Last Word. Im certain its not my controller thats broke, cause it doesnt happen when using an auto rifle.
Yeah the VoC is buggy, haven't encountered issues with other full-auto guns.

NastyBook

I can't stress how awesome Shoulder Charge is
Wouldn't call it broken. When you just see a Titan coming at you, a Shotgun or high ROF Fusion Rifle will make him/her think twice the next time (and if not, free kills). It's the one's you don't see that can be frustrating.

And soon there'll be some Exotic boots that buff the DoubleDragonII Knee? Oh, what fun will be had...

spyder_ur

For tonight's Newbie raid:

I had totally blanked and forgot that haunted_taco had already reserved a slot. My bad! RetroMG, I'm sorry, since you were the last to sign up I gotta bump you to first Alt. PMing you too. I'll be hitting you up first if we have any no-shows, so please do stay by your console!

This is the roster for 8:15EST:
1. schwagger15 (if you can make it!)
2. Hawkian
3. someday
4. BEHOLDER-Y
5. RidliMM
6. haunted_taco

Just wanted to let you know I can definitely make it tonight. Looking forward to it - got my Titan to 29 yesterday. Sorry to disappoint the people on the wait list.

I really don't understand the excitement people have for levels/gear mattering. People's are mainly at levels 28-29, all with nearly the exact same gear, and then you pepper in a few people like me, levels 23-25, that are basically just cannon fodder to pump up the egos of people that have played longer.

Sorry if it comes off as upset. This is my first special event in Destiny, and it seems that playing time or RNG luck is > skill/ability to play well. I can unload a clip into a guys face and meanwhile get 2 shot by the same guy with the same type of weapon.

I just don't understand who wins in this type of game style? Do people feel good beating up on people that have half the defence and do half the damage? Starting with a massive handicap, how is that rewarding? On the other end, it sure as hell isn't rewarding being the guy at a massive disadvantage. And the people not in those two extremes, the people playing against other people their same level: how is that any different than normal crucible?

What you need to take into account is the whole level advantage thing. This is the ENTIRE point of IB. 'Power matters'.

Being several levels below will make them much harder to kill. Not impossible but definitely harder to kill. As a 26 I was doing fine, even killing many thirties but this may have been helped by the fact that I was playing a full GAF fireteam. What do I find myself doing is running away far more often. You just have to play smart and disengage when you think you'll lose.

DjRalford

Wouldn't call it broken. When you just see a Titan coming at you, a Shotgun or high ROF Fusion Rifle will make him/her think twice the next time (and if not, free kills). It's the one's you don't see that can be frustrating.

And soon there'll be some Exotic boots that buff the DoubleDragonII Knee? Oh, what fun will be had...

There's nothing quite like jumping up and kneeing someone in the head just to watch their floppy corpse fly over a railing into the abyss.

Shoulder charge is so bloody annoying especially around corners etc. But it is so satisfying taking down someone who is trying to charge at you. The Last Word is also great for this.

Lag is awful as a recipient of the charge however. I often find myself dying before I even see them beginning to run...

Also is anyone else having trouble killing Titans with golden gun while they are doing a FoH? Several times I found myself shooting them point blank but to no avail :(

Strider

A maxed The Last Word is a monster in Iron Banner. Nothing you can do against it.

There just aren't enough people out there with it maxed for anyone to notice.

It will be nerfed eventually.

I hope it doesn't get nerfed :( But yea gun is ridiculous. I've said this in the thread multiple times but people still disagree.

TTK is everything and it can down enemies before they even know wtf happened.

LiK

Shoulder charge is so bloody annoying especially around corners etc. But it is so satisfying taking down someone who is trying to charge at you. The Last Word is also great for this.

Lag is awful as a recipient of the charge however. I often find myself dying before I even see them beginning to run...

Also is anyone else having trouble killing Titans with golden gun while they are doing a FoH? Several times I found myself shooting them point blank but to no avail :(

Shoulder charge kills are quite satisfying.

All Supers give all classes some sort of invincibility frames or super high defense from my experience.

Mupod

I hardly ever die to shoulder charge, I didn't even know it was a one-shot until recently.

Magic blink strikes that kill you from the front though? All the damn time.

NastyBook

There's nothing quite like jumping up and kneeing someone in the head just to watch their floppy corpse fly over a railing into the abyss.
Over the railing is the beeeeeesssssst. Got a guy like that at A on Blind Watch the other day. I really need to start thinking of doing a montage of those at some point.

flkraven

What you need to take into account is the whole level advantage thing. This is the ENTIRE point of IB. 'Power matters'.

Being several levels below will make them much harder to kill. Not impossible but definitely harder to kill. As a 26 I was doing fine, even killing many thirties but this may have been helped by the fact that I was playing a full GAF fireteam. What do I find myself doing is running away far more often. You just have to play smart and disengage when you think you'll lose.

I agree. I was playing smart as a 24. Was consistently top 3 on my team in score. Heck, even got first a few times. Even got a 2.5 K/D ratio one round! This doesn't change the fact that I really don't understand the benefit of this type of tournament. Don't know who the winners are.

matmanx1

You do know it has a rudimentary lock-on, right?
Can do some seriously crazy shit in PvE

I thought we were just talking PVP. I don't use it much in PVE either but I did knock my friend down into the Hellmouth once by shoulder charging him off the cliff while he was farming some helium coils. Then again, he had spent the previous 30 minutes trying to run me over with his sparrow so it was completely justified. =)

It's occurred to me that the new Raid will be awesome to run because 99 percent of the loot looks awesome. Every run we'll get something sweet!
it will all be DLC ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom