• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I'll be playing IB tonight. Invite me if you see me on. Not sure if I'll have mic. I'm not in a good mood today so I don't want to curse that much in your innocent ears.

TTG

Yeah, I have sort of figured that out. All of the PVP videos people are putting up showing these long kill streaks and dominating performances are generally Warlocks and Hunters. Yeah, Titans have some cool tricks but like you said most of them end with the Titan dead very shortly thereafter. Titans feel a little bit like second class citizens in PVP to me at this point.

Of course that is just extra motivation to play better so at least I am taking it in a positive direction.

You'll be fine once you get the hang of it. Minimize your exposure, look for heavy weapon drops, use the radar and get an elite primary.

lunlunqq

It's convoluted, but what the Oracles and Gorgons are doing are essentially erasing you from existence. This is why when the Gorgons see you, or when you let the Oracles live too long, you die automatically (they really should disintegrate you instead of ragdoll you to get that across). So Kabr went in with a group who were all written out of existence during their Raid. This is why he's confused about how he got in (knowing he couldn't have opened it alone), but can't remember anyone being with him (because they were all written out of existence).

Also, Pahanin wasn't part of the group. He just heard about it. That's why he creates the AI in Super Good Advice because he's obsessed with someone always being around to acknowledge he exists.

EDIT: Actually, I think Pahanin was part of Kabr's group.

OK, I think the companion got erased part makes sense. However, I'm still not sure if Pahanin was part of Kabr's group. How can he not be erased then? This whole thing is just confusing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's convoluted, but what the Oracles and Gorgons are doing are essentially erasing you from existence. This is why when the Gorgons see you, or when you let the Oracles live too long, you die automatically
This is also why Atheon's preferred method of wiping your group is to remove you from the present day. This is probably common knowledge by now but the portals in Atheon's chamber just send you through time, not space- you come out on the other side of the portal in the same room, just in the far past (red) or far future (green). This is why the Minotaurs coming through them to sacrifice to the conflux are called "Precursor" and "Descendant" Minotaurs depending on which one they come from. This also explains why you can have two relics during that fight, which really bothered me for a while- time paradoxes aside of course, it's the same relic, stolen into the present from both the past and the future. If you're looking at the boss fight from Atheon's perspective, his objective isn't "shoot the Guardians until they are dead," but to teleport 3 of you into the past, then teleport the other 3 of you in the future and leave you stranded there with the relic, removing the threat of your existence from the present altogether. He wants to see that "forever lost to the dark corners of time" message- that's a win for Atheon, because not only are his current attackers dead, the relic is lost to the timestream. Because it is a reprogrammed Gorgon that is immune to the reality-altering effects of the Vault, he can't destroy the relic- notice how casually it stays there floating when all the guardians around it are dead on the ground- but he can manipulate it (teleport it around to a degree, send it through time); if it remains in the present time it is still a threat to him. The lore for the vault of glass is honestly pretty fucking cool (not that you'd have any idea just playing through it).

edit: Pahanin can't have died in the Vault because he was murdered by Dredgen Yor!

Kalamari

Do you have Vision of Confluence? If you do, run Radiant Skin, viking funeral, and the one that makes everything ignite.

Otherwise, Radiant Skin/Phoenix, 2 Grenades and extra duration.

I find self-reviving a little overrated, but that's just me.

I can't count how many fireborn warlocks I killed yesterday, using it when surrounded by 2 or more enemies is ill advised.

exYle

OK, I think the companion got erased part makes sense. However, I'm still not sure if Pahanin was part of Kabr's group. How can he not be erased then? This whole thing is just confusing.

Well, who's to say that they simply weren't separated into different time streams.

Do you have Vision of Confluence? If you do, run Radiant Skin, viking funeral, and the one that makes everything ignite.

I don't have VoC, but tried that with the Mythoclast and didn't notice much happening. That said, I didn't get many shots off since I was busy spaming grenades. Do you waste the radiance time trying to find someone to grenade, pile them all on a control point, or use it defensively to block doorways and whatnot?

Lima

Still no word from Bungie about the broken fps when using Xbox One party chat. I hope they have a patch ready for the weekend. The ingame chat fucking sucks.

patchday

Sorry guys, I just have to brag:

AHmd1gL.png

wtf

I don't like playing as a Titan at all. It just does not click with me. Weapons of Light is fun for taking out bullet sponge bosses though.

I have all subclasses maxed out. I like Striker even less than Defender. :(

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way about the Titan also. I too got bored really quicly with my Titan, I felt forced to play Defender in PvE to stay alive but it was so boring. Really boring.

In PvP, everyone sees you coming as a Striker. Now people jump and run out of the way when they see a Titan Striker running into a group.

I received engrams that gave me Warlock exotics armor and I have converted into a Warlock and I am having loads of fun.

As a Warlock with Voidfang Vestiments, I can spam my 'nades and have loads of fun. I feel that I get actual fun for using his abilities for the Warlock

Titan is good to stay alive but he gets boring quick.

I will never play as a Hunter; I don't believe in ''sneaking around''

k1t4j

Anyone planning to run the raid tonigh, normal version?

I have m 28 Alt titan that needs it. I will be up for it in 30-40 minutes.

On PSN: Kitaj84

exYle

This is also why Atheon's preferred method of wiping your group is to remove you from the present day. This is probably common knowledge by now but the portals in Atheon's chamber just send you through time, not space- you come out on the other side of the portal in the same room, just in the far past (red) or far future (green). This is why the Minotaurs coming through them to sacrifice to the conflux are called "Precursor" and "Descendant" Minotaurs depending on which one they come from. This also explains why you can have two relics during that fight, which really bothered me for a while- time paradoxes aside of course, it's the same relic, stolen into the present from both the past and the future. If you're looking at the boss fight from Atheon's perspective, his objective isn't "shoot the Guardians until they are dead," but to teleport 3 of you into the past, then teleport the other 3 of you in the future and leave you stranded there with the relic, removing the threat of your existence from the present altogether. He wants to see that "forever lost to the dark corners of time" message- that's a win for Atheon, because not only are his current attackers dead, the relic is lost to the timestream. Because it is a reprogrammed Gorgon that is immune to the reality-altering effects of the Vault, he can't destroy the relic- notice how casually it stays there floating when all the guardians around it are dead on the ground- but he can manipulate it (teleport it around to a degree, send it through time); if it remains in the present time it is still a threat to him. The lore for the vault of glass is honestly pretty fucking cool (not that you'd have any idea just playing through it).

edit: Pahanin can't have died in the Vault because he was murdered by Dredgen Yor!

The disagreement is on whether Pahanin was even in the vault, or if he had simply heard of Kabr's ill-fated raid and became terrified.

I hope Crota's End has just as much awesome lore as the VoG does!

lunlunqq

Well, who's to say that they simply weren't separated into different time streams.

uh.... ok....

Well, I think Hezen is definitely a kind of Vex based on the Hezen Vengeance description and a few other pieces.

"The Hezen Axis Mind is tireless and infinite. While it cannot be stopped... it can be paused."

I actually think Praedyth is also a Vex.

Nodnol

So IB Rank is actually going reasonably quickly. About 3/4 of the way to Rank 3; I started at 0. Have put a fair few hours into Dragon Age too!

With incremental gains on the Tempered buff, I should hit four without too much hassle.

Pickman

How can a level 30 go 0.17?

Ffs we would have won without that useless bastard.

Some of us just blow at PvP.

Also, here's a story about my PvP experience with the Thorn bounty and a little video of the impossible happening:

So I'll be the first person to tell you, I'm not much of a multiplayer pvp guy. I struggle to keep track of someone not following the standard pattern expected of them as a good little AI driven enemy. I suffer miserably at the hands of people with hand cannons while it looks like I try to write "please die" in cursive on their torso and the gaping space around them with an auto rifle. Generally, I'm a poor team mate.

However, I'd already gotten SGA and the Bad Juju (another struggle in PvP), and Thorn was the only exotic bounty offered in the trio that I hadn't claimed yet. So I figured, eh, lets give it a shot. I pick the gun up and, like with SGA and Bad Juju, breeze through the non-PVP elements of the bounty.

But then... oh, then I get to the Crucible. 500 points of Void Kills, 5 for a kill, 2 off for each death. My only void dmg weapon in my arsenal was a rare fusion rifle I'd maxxed out and never bothered to learn to use after that, since I always preferred sniping. Regardless, I suit up and head into combat with my peers.

It goes poorly. As expected. Ten matches in and I finally reached 50 points. Another 10, and it was only at 86. I didn't crunch the numbers, but I imagined at my trickle-down rate of murder and .58 KDRs, I'd be done Thorn sometime around March.

But then, I started to learn. I started to keep an eye on my radar, and how to move around some of the maps more efficiently. I started getting twenty point games. Then thirty.

Finally, when I was around 410 points (and an easy 50 games of Crucible out), I found it. As Bruce Leeroy once discovered, I had the Glow. And the Glow was bright purple.

My aiming is mediocre and I'm all over the place in this video, but I present to you with much pride, a shit PvPer's first ever 10 kill streak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-7sA4YmYQ

I've still got no love for PvP... it's hectic and nerve-wracking, but I came out of it with a story, and for the first time ever a sense of accomplishment. Now on to the easy part with Xyor! (oh god I'm gonna die so much)

TL;DR: I suck horribly at PvP, but while doing my Thorn bounty I finally found myself in the zone and got over a 10 kill streak for the first time ever in my life

Technically we interacted with him through the relic. Kabr made it. Some think that he somehow transcended space and time and became the relic because the moves with it are very similar to a Titan.

This is a great bit of mechanical story telling that once again shows the deep influence of the Souls series on this game.

L1: Cleanse is like Defender bubble
R1: Attack is kinda like Titan melee, although more like Blade Dancer (?)
R2 on ground: Similar to Shoulder Charge
R2 in the air: Fist of Havoc Striker smash

There's some really great stuff in this game, they just bungled how to include it effectively. DLC area Terminus on Venus is a great example. There's so much Souls influence in seeing this incredible structure far off in the distant sky, then really being able to go there! The molten blue lava from the nearby volcanoes is actually streaming under the ground and powering the huge blue elevator that takes you up. It's really fascinating... but they hid it behind visible+invisible walls in the game, and behind a pay wall outside of the game. Such a shame.

They even have Venus patrol missions related to Terminus lore in the game! Bah!!

zewone

I will never play as a Hunter; I don't believe in ''sneaking around''
Hmm? Are you referring to Bladedancers using the invisibility perk?

I haven't really used that since launch week or so. The real bread and butter for why Hunters are best in PVP are Gunslinger's Trance and Chain of Woe. Combine that with quick agility, easy to use jump, and you're a wrecking machine.

And that's without even mentioning Golden Gun with the explosive perk. Pretty much a guaranteed 3+ kill every time you fill your super meter.

As much as I kinda, somewhat enjoy Destiny, this sums up why I've been playing Diablo III perfect for me :

Diablo 3 is like that girl in high school that you were good friends with and that was always secretly into you, but you never really took things to the next level because you cared for her a lot and didn't want to chance things eventually getting weird if it didn't work out.

Then, during your senior year, this new hot chick Destiny transfers in from the neighboring town's school and immediately has all of the guys gawking at her and groveling at her feet. You decide to play it cool, get to know her, and things work out in your favor as you officially become the coolest kid in school now that you and Destiny are exclusive. Diablo says she's happy for you, but deep down she's hurting. Unfortunately, you don't see this because you're so blinded by the fact that you have the hottest chick in town.

Things start off great and you are having the time of your life. She's a tall, tanned blonde with a great body, but then after some time you start to realize that there isn't all that much to her. You don't know much about her because she's reluctant to explain anything, and there isn't any depth to her as she seems a bit empty on the inside. In other words, she's nice to look at, but not much else (but she "plays great" if you know what I mean) She also has this strange obsession with wanting you to take her to the same two or three restaurants all the time. It becomes pretty familiar and repetitive, even down right boring at times because she can't hold any interesting conversations. But at least she's hot, right?

Then, one day, you go to pick her up at her place and you see a Lamborghini parked in her driveway. It's not her car or a family member's, so you wonder where it came from and what it's doing there. You approach the door and hear some noises. After knocking, you hear some chatter, and after a few moments pause a disheveled Destiny answers the door. You go to ask what's up, but then your question quickly becomes answered when you see that guy from school, Bungie, in the distance dressing himself. Bungie used to be a really cool dude, but he hit it big and became a snob when his rich dad Activision hit the lottery, now he think's he's better than everyone.

You start to panic and you don't know what to do. Destiny tries to tell you that she's sorry and that she didn't intend for things to play out this way, but she has a plan for your future together and wants you to stick around. You're hearing this, but it's going in one ear and out the other because you're too heartbroken to even care. After all, senior prom is just around the corner and you spent a little over $400 on great tux from Mr. Sony at the men's formalwear store.

Feeling defeated, your friend Diablo is there for you in your time of emptiness. You talk it out, explain how you don't have a date for prom anymore, and she comforts you by telling you that she doesn't either because prom's are stupid, and that she'd rather just hang out with you instead because she enjoys your company more than fancy clothes and get ups. She's always dropping new little comments and things like that that to make you really feel great, and the drops seem to get better and better as time goes on and it makes you grow more and more fonder of her each time.
Right then and there it hits you - Diablo is sitting there in front of you, she's always been a great person and a great friend to you, she's a bunch of fun to spend time with, and you see her there smiling right back at you with her hair down and realize that she's a stone cold fox, a 10 with the charm and personality to go with it. It's only then that you realize that she was the right one for you this entire time.

What does VoC have to do with using a separate build? Do the solar bullets actually cause burn?

bigf00t

Had a good night last night. The only weapons left that I really wanted were Gjallarhorn and Fatebringer.

After getting shards with two of my character's Nightfall runs this week, I was rewarded with Gjallarhorn on my Titan! Then, on my first HM raid, Fatebringer!

Suddenly I'm feeling much less inclined to run Nightfall or the Vault. I think I'll take it easy until the DLC drops.

noomi

I don't get how so many people have a hard time getting the fatebringer, I have 3 of them, it drops every single time for someone... sometimes two people even.

you will get it, I promise....

On the other hand, I will never have the hawkmoon :(

gatti-man

Self reviving is huge in iron banner/control otherwise its kindof worthless.

zewone

I don't get how so many people have a hard time getting the fatebringer, I have 3 of them, it drops every single time for someone... sometimes two people even.

you will get it, I promise....

On the other hand, I will never have the hawkmoon :(
I only have one and it took a lot of clears to drop.

It's how I feel about Atheon's Epilogue. I have had about 7 or 8 drop, but my buddy who has done 40+ clears ( not including double rolls from Hard mode) has 0 and it still eludes him. Being the only primary Void gun really makes it desirable for Void burn weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom