• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatti-man

Yeh, I had to tell you off at one point. It was quite impressive.

Here you go, in all its hideous glory!

zLUiBrT.jpg
I want so hard. Rng bless me please!

Mindlog

The rarest sighting in all of Destiny?

The tempering boost is pretty big. If tomorrow hits 50 then my Hunter is getting in on that action for gloves to hit level 30.

Nerfing Suros again? I don't know about that. The only reason I use it now is that it's the only decent auto rifle on my main. Buff Hard Light and I would be using that right now. No doubt Thunderlord would be getting more attention if more people used it.

matmanx1

Some of us just blow at PvP.

Also, here's a story about my PvP experience with the Thorn bounty and a little video of the impossible happening:

So I'll be the first person to tell you, I'm not much of a multiplayer pvp guy. I struggle to keep track of someone not following the standard pattern expected of them as a good little AI driven enemy. I suffer miserably at the hands of people with hand cannons while it looks like I try to write "please die" in cursive on their torso and the gaping space around them with an auto rifle. Generally, I'm a poor team mate.

However, I'd already gotten SGA and the Bad Juju (another struggle in PvP), and Thorn was the only exotic bounty offered in the trio that I hadn't claimed yet. So I figured, eh, lets give it a shot. I pick the gun up and, like with SGA and Bad Juju, breeze through the non-PVP elements of the bounty.

But then... oh, then I get to the Crucible. 500 points of Void Kills, 5 for a kill, 2 off for each death. My only void dmg weapon in my arsenal was a rare fusion rifle I'd maxxed out and never bothered to learn to use after that, since I always preferred sniping. Regardless, I suit up and head into combat with my peers.

It goes poorly. As expected. Ten matches in and I finally reached 50 points. Another 10, and it was only at 86. I didn't crunch the numbers, but I imagined at my trickle-down rate of murder and .58 KDRs, I'd be done Thorn sometime around March.

But then, I started to learn. I started to keep an eye on my radar, and how to move around some of the maps more efficiently. I started getting twenty point games. Then thirty.

Finally, when I was around 410 points (and an easy 50 games of Crucible out), I found it. As Bruce Leeroy once discovered, I had the Glow. And the Glow was bright purple.

My aiming is mediocre and I'm all over the place in this video, but I present to you with much pride, a shit PvPer's first ever 10 kill streak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-7sA4YmYQ

I've still got no love for PvP... it's hectic and nerve-wracking, but I came out of it with a story, and for the first time ever a sense of accomplishment. Now on to the easy part with Xyor! (oh god I'm gonna die so much)

TL;DR: I suck horribly at PvP, but while doing my Thorn bounty I finally found myself in the zone and got over a 10 kill streak for the first time ever in my life

Great story! I'm the same kind of PVP'er and man it felt great to finish that Thorn bounty. You had a very good game and I am glad it went well for you. Getting good at the fusion rifle seems to be the trick for getting it done.

The disagreement is on whether Pahanin was even in the vault, or if he had simply heard of Kabr's ill-fated raid and became terrified.

I hope Crota's End has just as much awesome lore as the VoG does!

I hate VOG really hate loath VOG (bad game design),

I hope Crota's End respect the game design that it taught us in PvE missions, strikes and PvP.

My hate for VoG stems from ''hey, here are some wonkey rules on how to beat this mission but we won't tell you in-game how to do it so you have to read up on it online to find out!''

VoG is garbage game design

CREMSteve

I hope Crota's End respect the game design that it taught us in PvE missions, strikes and PvP.

My hate for VoG stems from ''hey, here are some wonkey rules on how to beat this mission but we won't tell you in-game how to do it so you have to read up on it online to find out!''

I disagree. It's the most fun gaming I had in 2014.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As much as I kinda, somewhat enjoy Destiny, this sums up why I've been playing Diablo III perfect for me :
When I went out with Diablo III she was giving it up for pocket change. Everything special about the relationship went out the window when I realized I was just paying for it rather than earning it. I hear she's changed now, they say she doesn't even let people treat her that way anymore, but the hurt is still too fresh for me to go crawling back yet.
Self reviving is huge in iron banner/control otherwise its kindof worthless.
It's massive in Salvage.

Ha haha yeah not so much. you understand the first people to beat it did so without any guides existing, right?

I'm more sympathetic to the hardcore MMO crowd that actually found it simplistic in terms of raid design. it's pretty impeccably designed content.

I love it. You are bad game design.

Unfortunately for you, that's actually par for the course with raiding.

Here's an encounter, keep wiping until you figure out a strategy. Share the strategy. Encounters are very rarely explained at all.

exYle

I would hate that.

The raid stands out as the best game mode right now because of all it's novelty. I'll admit I never had to figure things out as someone on GAF guided me through it the first time, but I can only imagine that's half the fun - figuring out the mechanics yourself.

If the new raid was just a really long strike that would be horrid! We already have enough similar content in the game.

EL CUCO

I would hate for the Raid to come with a tutorial. The beauty in it, is solving its mystery.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
if you have to read up on the rules and conditions on the VoG raid to find out about it = bad game design
You don't have to. That's the point.

And by the way, the Souls series is some of the nearest-to-flawless game design I've ever seen, and it relies almost completely on "reading up on stuff" to get the most out of it when you encounter something you don't understand.

The school of design you're referring to encourages players primarily to seek out communities for answers and assistance. The notion that this is a bad thing in a game like Destiny, which is necessarily multiplayer, is all over the map of wrongtown.

plus, no in-game hub or matchmaking to assemble a team to go without resorting to go on a computer recruiting players
completely separate issue but sure. An in-game listing board would be a crucial addition that Bungie should prioritize.

R0ckman

That's actually the way raids are suppose to work really, they are suppose to push teamwork and be challenging. The problem is that this one isn't coded and planned out in fine tuned as it needed to be. I'm glad I have no reason to go back into that god forsaken hell hole. I'm glad I'm geared up for corta though.

hydruxo

That's basically how raids are though. They aren't going to hold your hand through the mechanics. The fun comes through trying to figure it out with your group.

The glitches are the reason to hate VoG IMO. I like the encounters and design of the raid other than that.

gatti-man

When I went out with Diablo III she was giving it up for pocket change. Everything special about the relationship went out the window when I realized I was just paying for it rather than earning it. I hear she's changed now, they say she doesn't even let people treat her that way anymore, but the hurt is still too fresh for me to go crawling back yet.

It's massive in Salvage.

Ha haha yeah not so much. you understand the first people to beat it did so without any guides existing, right?

I'm more sympathetic to the hardcore MMO crowd that actually found it simplistic in terms of raid design. it's pretty impeccably designed content.

Oh yeah i forgot about salvage. True there too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My aiming is mediocre and I'm all over the place in this video, but I present to you with much pride, a shit PvPer's first ever 10 kill streak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-7sA4YmYQ

TL;DR: I suck horribly at PvP, but while doing my Thorn bounty I finally found myself in the zone and got over a 10 kill streak for the first time ever in my life
that's awesome. congrats on getting to the end of the bountty, happy to help with Xyor anytime if you need it.

theytookourjobz

Haven't played in like a month and trying to get back into it. Never done (and don't really want to go through the trouble of finding a group) the raid but I'm a 27 hunter. Any way I can get to 30 without doing the raid?

zewone

Welcome to any MMO raid design.

VoG is amazing.

That's basically how raids are though. They aren't going to hold your hand through the mechanics. The fun comes through trying to figure it out with your group.

The glitches are the reason to hate VoG IMO. I like the encounters and design of the raid other than that.

it's not about holding hands, it's about knowing your information in-game instead of resorting to watching videos or read reddit on your computer.

if a game forces you to get out of the game to get your info on wtf is this stupid mission about = bad game design

hydruxo

Haven't played in like a month and trying to get back into it. Never done (and don't really want to go through the trouble of finding a group) the raid but I'm a 27 hunter. Any way I can get to 30 without doing the raid?

You can get boots from Rank 3 Iron Banner and gloves from Rank 4.

zewone

Any way I can get to 30 without doing the raid?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Iron Banner allows you to get legendary gear with 30 light, but it's only two pieces (gloves and boots). You would need chest and head gear that has 30 light, which you could sub in an exotic piece.

If you get the IB gear now, you could potentially get to 30 the next time IB comes around.

Now my question: Why do you want to get to 30 if you don't raid?

Long answer: Iron Banner allows you to get legendary gear with 30 light, but it's only two pieces (gloves and boots). You would need chest and head gear that has 30 light, which you could sub in an exotic piece.

If you get the IB gear now, you could potentially get to 30 the next time IB comes around.

because Iron Banner is 1000x more fun than VoG

theytookourjobz

Dunno. Guess I just want to be max level. And doesn't it make you do more damage in the Iron Banner?

OK, I think the companion got erased part makes sense. However, I'm still not sure if Pahanin was part of Kabr's group. How can he not be erased then? This whole thing is just confusing.

Yeah. Looking more in to it, I don't think he's part of it.

Where are you getting all of this? I read super good advice and it said he did see Kabr fall.

Looking closer at what the SGA Grimoire card says, this is the exact quote:

...Hunter Pahanin, who witnessed the fall of Kabr and became terrified of traveling alone.

Notice how it doesn't say death. We also know Kabr kind of lost it because of his experience in the VoG and I believe this is what they're referring to as his "fall". To further that, here's the VoG Grimoire card:

His name was Kabr. He wasn't my friend but I knew and respected him as a Guardian and a good man.
He fought the Vex alone. This destroyed him. In the time before he vanished he said things that I think should be remembered. These are some of them:

"In the Vault time frays and a needle moves through it. The needle is the will of Atheon. I do not know the name of the shape that comes after the needle.

No one can open the Vault alone. I opened the Vault. There was no one with me but I was not alone.

You will meet the Templar in a place that is a time before or after stars. The stars will move around you and mark you and sing to you. They will decide if you are real.

I drank of them. It tasted like the sea."

That is all I can remember.

Pahanin

So here, Pahanin tells us what he knows of the VoG, but what he knows is only what Kabr has told him. The way Kabr explains it to him suggests Pahanin was not there. So Kabr made it out of the VoG at some point and explained this all to him to pass on this knowledge (presumably before going back in to never be seen again). Or considering all the time shenanigans that go on in the Vault, perhaps he stepped out of time to explain it to someone before going deeper.

zewone

because Iron Banner is 1000x more fun than VoG

Dunno. Guess I just want to be max level. And doesn't it make you do more damage in the Iron Banner?

No, not really.

As long as your within 3 levels of your opponent you'll be doing similar damage.

Iron Banner should handle level differences like PVE does, where there are huge damage reductions to being underleveled, but as it is now, it's almost exactly like the rest of Crucible.

And IB is only around for a short time.

Yeh, I had to tell you off at one point. It was quite impressive.

Here you go, in all its hideous glory!

zLUiBrT.jpg

Thank god I'm not the only one who has this glitch. The fuselage has missing geometry that makes it transparent when it isn't supposed to be (you can slightly see it in this pic, but it's more clear when there's a top view.

Really annoying because I got my ship from the first Iron Banner event and the model was fine, bu tafter the update on Tuesday something must have borked the ship's code or something.

I'm always surprised when people say stuff like this. For me, VoG is easily one of the most compelling examples of game design I've ever played.

Nothing in VoG needs to be learned about in the grimoire cards, they just add interesting lore behind the events. Each mechanic is taught to the players piecemeal throughout the raid, with Atheon as the culmination of everything (except Gorgons). This is why they wanted his teleports to be random, since everyone is supposed to know every part.

Spire: sync plates used for activation, only Praetorians can take control
Confluxes: Vex sacrifice to expunge you, fanatics can mark you (debuff) which requires cleansing, and their kamikaze explosions prepare you for supplicants
Oracles: Mark you if you don't kill them fast enough, spawn in specific places
Templar: How to use the relic (super+cleansing), detain shields, boss enrage
GKeepers: Combine sync plates, confluxes, and relics. Introduces (player-controlled) portal use and new blindness debuff
Atheon: Combine sync plates, oracles, relics, kamikaze enemies, detain shields, enrage and blind debuff with boss-controlled teleportation and a new buff (T'sV)

if a game forces you to get out of the game to get your info on wtf is this stupid mission about = bad game design

VoG never remotely requires this, not even close. Figuring stuff out by being observant is the brilliance. Please play the new raid blind everyone!!! It will be way more fun.

R0ckman

Anyone have any theories on why they made the radar so bad in this game (I'm talking about the stupid pie thing, the elevation aspect is fine)? Half the time it ends up confusing more than helping. Is it to even the playing field? So basically instead of letting good players just dominate they have to kind of figure out where the enemy is based off of the radar kind of giving you a general hint at the area that they are in?

zewone

Anyone have any theories on why they made the radar so bad in this game (I'm talking about the stupid pie thing, the elevation aspect is fine)? Half the time it ends up confusing more than helping. Is it to even the playing field? So basically instead of letting good players just dominate they have to kind of figure out where the enemy is based off of the radar kind of giving you a general hint at the area that they are in?

I'm a fan of not having a specific dot. I'd love if there was a mode with no radars.

I don't have any issues with the radar?

Dear Game Developers,
Excessive pinpoint accuracy grenade spam from enemies on high difficulty levels is NEVER fucking fun. Ever. Period. Stop doing this horse shit. It was like two updates ago, they patched in insane grenade spam during nightfalls in this game. Dregs just heave like 5 grenades in 30 seconds, all perfectly accurate. This is some COD:World at War levels of shitty grenade spam. Fuck off.

Edit: Anyone need a nightfall kill? I want to finish this solo run on my lunch and it is almost up. At the boss and I am on that back tiny walk way but need someone to jump in to agro the boss. This shit is way too tedious solo now.
psn= gutterboy44 I hope you know where to hide in the left room.

Mupod

it's misleading sometimes but once you learn the maps it's a lot easier to figure out where people are approaching from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom