• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

Got Hard Light from the nightfall. My first exotic drop from anywhere. Don't care that the gun sucks just happy that the rngods smiled upon me.

Qwell

Can't wait to get off work and try 3x times for Fatebringer and not get it ... maybe I can at least get my hunter raid chest or helm since I got IB arms and boots. Heck I'll just be happy if I get more than strange coins during the nightfall this week. Last week RNG was pretty bad for me.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'd be more in agreement with this if RNGesus wasn't running the show. As it is given that the game is little more than a fruit machine with 20-40 minutes between pulls a certain allowance for cheese has to be made. When combined with some really spongey enemies (Valus T'Aarc represent!) a 0 tolerance policy for cheese just results in people resenting the grind even more.

I have no problem with nerfing the cheese if they also rebalance the encounter so it doesn't take 40-50 IB headshots to take down the boss and his mobs aren't flinch proof, 1HK shield bashing, major bellends argle, bargle rargle
Me bitter over two failed NF solo runs on VT with <20% to go? Never

I think they need to implement a token system alongside the RNG. One completion from start to finish earns you a raid token. New vendor in tower sells all raid gear. Even if it takes ten raids to earn enough for a single piece, at least it would be constant progress.

They could keep the current RNG intact alongside it too.

Regular strikes just need to be toned down in terms of boss HP. Nightfall is generally fine due to burn, the weekly can be a joke though.

if you still need someone I'll join. psn: quint

Thanks for joining up! Get anything good??
I just got shards/energy and 2 helms I already had haha.

Finally hit IB rank 5 and bought Gheleon's Demise + Goldspiral. Iron Banner was good fun but I'm probably not touching crucible again for a few weeks haha. Burnt out.

Same exact thing I did! I wanted to buy the rank 4 fusion (not enough glimmer), but I figure when they bring back IB they'll have it again as rank 4 and that'll be easier to obtain later. Definitely only playing raids until DLC comes out.

Lucis

OK FUCK BUNGIE
fucking for reals?

They stealth buffed gate keeper hp? 2 Ghorn from 2 level 30 no longer take it down. fucking wiped coz we did what we used to do.

Then we see a NEW bug when the second relic holder can't get out of the portal at gatekeeper stage to defend conflux...

FUCK YOU BUNGIE
instead of fixing bugs, you make shit harder for player and introduce no bug.

Bungie knows nothing about how to make a MMO-ish game

LordofPwn

What do I need to do to get ready for my first raid? Currently level 26 and will be at level 27 shortly. I finally have enough coins and motes to get an exotic armor and exotic engram from Xur this weekend. I only have one legendary weapon though - a crappy Dr. Nope. I should be able to buy a Vanguard weapon in the next week - I'd like to get TDYK but I'm also considering the Swarm as it comes with Void damage. Do I need all legendary weapons to be effective in the raid?

Let me put it this way:

I ran my friend who isn't great at shooters through the raid for his first time last weekend. he was a lvl 27 hunter with all blue weapons except a legendary hand cannon that didn't even have the first unlock yet. We had a team of 4 hunters, 1 titan, 1 warlock. me and the titan had done the raid over 20 times, everyone else it was their 2nd or 3rd time doing it. i think there was 1 or 2 29's everyone else was 28 and my friend was 27. i was out for all of the confluxes, because i was goofing off and died on some rocks on way down to templar (i was drinking) and no one could get to me. 1 vet, a noob, and 3 rookies were able to do confluxes first try. no wipes on oracles, hell we even did Templar legit. i think we wiped on gorgons, but no one died on jumping. gatekeeper ran well. and Atheon worked once everyone figured out relic. Overall it took us 1h 55min to clear on normal, and 20 some minutes were us trying to open the vault with 5 people, 1 of which (me) tried setting up the twitch stream. as soon as the 6th joined and i had the stream figured out and working, we were good to go.

TL;DR - Normal is way fun and very accessible as long as you're with someone that knows what they are doing. Being lvl 27 is better than being 26, and i'd recommend being lvl 27 before you do the raid. weapons wise, i say it's best to bring a lvl 20 rare over a new legendary you just bought and have never used before, so buy a legendary and get used to it first. at least 1, primary is ideal.

TLTL;DR - get to 27, play with vets. learn. have fun.

OK FUCK BUNGIE
fucking for reals?

They stealth buffed gate keeper hp? 2 Ghorn from 2 level 30 no longer take it down. fucking wiped coz we did what we used to do.

Then we see a NEW bug when the second relic holder can't get out of the portal at gatekeeper stage to defend conflux...

FUCK YOU BUNGIE

Seriously? Ugh, that part is the worst of the raid too.

I think they need to implement a token system alongside the RNG. One completion from start to finish earns you a raid token. New vendor in tower sells all raid gear. Even if it takes ten raids to earn enough for a single piece, at least it would be constant progress.

Regular strikes just need to be toned down in terms of boss HP. Nightfall is generally fine due to burn, the weekly can be a joke though.

I would be ok with this if they will implement it but it's not gonna happen. Bungie gonna bungie.

Weeklies are a bitch when you have to do them twice, never mind three times...

LordofPwn

OK FUCK BUNGIE
fucking for reals?

FUCK YOU BUNGIE

it's not new. with weapons of light i can get 2 hype horn rockets off and solo the gatekeeper. but sometimes the damage doesn't register, sometime i get no wolfpack rounds, and sometime level geometry eats some damage, or wolf pack rounds will go after adds instead. Or gatekeeper will regen some health, or teleport right before he enters his death animation. The last one usually pisses me off the most.

I think cyborg is playing other games now. Can't blame him. Once I'm done with Thorn bounty, I'm taking an extended break from this game until Expansion hits.

Yeah, it's very understandable. I know he was psyched for Dragon Age in particular. Iron Banner was perfect timing for me to switch it up last week, but I may not do much else this week unless people need help. I'd like to do one more raid just to hit lucky raid clear #100, haha. After the DLC hits, I may never do VoG again unless they add new drops.

IB is finally done. That was so much fun and frustrating at the same time, but mostly fun. Got my Alt Titan to level 30 in 9 whole days. Motes for exotic helm, 1 raid for chest, and IB for boots/gloves. Then it took the last 2 days of Tempered Buff + bounties + emblem/shader boost to get my Alt Hunter to Rank 4 for gloves. Now all my Hunter needs is a chest and all 3 alts will be maxed. Each of my alts have ~ 1/5th playing time as main char and it was totally worth it thanks to passing maxed guns and gambling.

realcZk

it's not new. with weapons of light i can get 2 hype horn rockets off and solo the gatekeeper. but sometimes the damage doesn't register, sometime i get no wolfpack rounds, and sometime level geometry eats some damage, or wolf pack rounds will go after adds instead. Or gatekeeper will regen some health, or teleport right before he enters his death animation. The last one usually pisses me off the most.

yeah, ballerhorn dmg is inconsistent on gatekeepers for sure, usually we have no problems on the left one with 1 ballerhorn rocket and a few icebreaker shots. other times he needs an additional 2 ballerhorn shots to the face. right one is easily taken out with relic super + one/two IB shots.

Same exact thing I did! I wanted to buy the rank 4 fusion (not enough glimmer), but I figure when they bring back IB they'll have it again as rank 4 and that'll be easier to obtain later. Definitely only playing raids until DLC comes out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Bungie said at the start of this Iron Banner event that reputation/rank gains would be reset after it's over.

I think that they let the reputation/rank gains carry over to this event from the previous Iron Banner since they recognized that it was such a clusterfuck and wanted to reward players who put up with how arduous the event was.

LordofPwn

How do I find total played time in the companion app? It's not where it used to be.
They removed it
because reasons
Yeah, it's very understandable. I know he was psyched for Dragon Age in particular. Iron Banner was perfect timing for me to switch it up last week, but I may not do much else this week unless people need help. I'd like to do one more raid just to hit lucky raid clear #100, haha. After the DLC hits, I may never do VoG again unless they add new drops.

Are you doing the guardian lords raid on saturday?

Completely agree, I would far prefer a hard fight if I was guaranteed progress towards my goal by completing it, like a raid currency, I wouldn't mind easy wipes at all then (seriously it's 2014 and Bungie think raw RNG rewards are the right way to go SMH). As it is with spongey bosses like VT and the Tank in the Sepiks strike I rely on cheese rather than waste my time with wipes and resets to get to a goal that may not offer anything worthwhile at all.

So what are the details for the weekly/nightfall?

I will be running both 3 each with Deku and Fixed tonight.

Add me to the group of being stuck at work every Tuesday waiting to get home to run stuff after reset. I seriously would adjust my schedule to have Tuesdays off if that was possible.

Details anyone?

lunlunqq

Being able to cheese the hardest content should always be patched out asap. You shouldn't get access to the best raid gear if you can't earn it.

I can do it legit, no problem. I still miss the cheese because it felt fun to do, much more than the glitchy piece of shit Atheon fight now is.

Mattiator

You got time for one in 3 hours ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait...run into the main chamber when the dot appears and then back into the entryway?

I always seem to get overwhelmed when I stay in that back room.
Hmm. Okay, so the room before the main chamber, that's what we'll call the Shrieker Room- this is where you'll be doing damage to Phogoth from to cheese him. Very little will come into this room and the stuff that does won't come in very far. If you stay toward the back half of it, you can still hit Phogoth through the doorway and don't have to concern yourself with adds except the ones that actually come up to the door. However, every so often a Shrieker spawns (you can foretell its coming by the red dot). When this happens, run back to the room before it, not into the main chamber, the room BEFORE the Shrieker room on the way to the boss. You're safe in there. Don't go back further as it can reset you, but that room is safe, just hug the right wall. The Shrieker comes with Wizards and Knights, none of which you have to kill- they all just disappear along with the Shrieker, so save your ammo. Then when it disappears, go back into laying into Phogoth and repeat. If you stay on top of the Shrieker spawns, it's a 100% success rate, the only variable is time.
double tap to fly. it's great for adventuring and height along with changing up entry angles into areas. it just cant really save you from a jumping screw up.
Learning when to stop it and start it again in midair is crucial too. It's not my favorite, and I hate it while using the Relic, but it's very versatile and can get you unique vantage points (especially with Angel of Light).
ok guys, please enlighten me: is it even possible to blink across ninja (platform behind B) on shore's of time to the other side? admittedly, i haven't tried that much but everytime I fail miserably :p

do you just have to jump well before the edge of B so you blink right on top? seems tough but I'd like to get it down
It is 100% possible, but VERY dangerous. Not really necessary or worth it. If you wish to attempt it, do not sprint.
OK FUCK BUNGIE

FUCK YOU BUNGIE
you should probably stop playing forever
So, what: a week and a half? :)
hahaha seriously. even if he stops cold turkey today today, describing 14 days as an "extended break" is just inflating Destiny's ego.

Zakalwe

Banned
I can do it legit, no problem. I still miss the cheese because it felt fun to do, much more than the glitchy piece of shit Atheon fight now is.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you couldn't, just in general.

The fact people who can beat him legit find cheese more enjoyable or even necessary just shows how much work they need to do.

Wow, so I checked time played between my 3 Level 30 characters and I am at 336 hours added up, holy shit!!!

That is 14 in game days, 2 full weeks I've spent in this game.

Wow, I haven't done this in a game ever. I have never played an MMO or any multiplayer games really, last one would be Team Fortress Classic and CounterStrike in high school. I mainly just play SP games.

Lucis

The bug might not be new but the freaking gate keeper hp is def new.

We been doing this for MANY MANY weeks with the exact setup, knows exactly where to go and what to shoot from where,

Not only gatekeeper patorean's got buffed on either hp or taking less damage too.... maybe all yellow hp mobs...

fuck this shit, we used to do hard raid in 45-50 min, took us 2 + hour today.

Oh not to mention they fucking changed the maze. We used to let a single hunter run it through just to make things easier, now the gate doesn't open unless you have 3 person...

fuck bungie, seriously you fucking patch out all the fun, for what?

E92 M3

Wow, so I checked time played between my 3 Level 30 characters and I am at 336 hours added up, holy shit!!!

Wow, I haven't done this in a game ever. I have never played an MMO or any multiplayer games really, last one would be Team Fortress Classic and CounterStrike in high school. I mainly just play SP games.

I am very scared to look at my time played, but know it's a ton. Destiny has its hooks deep.

realcZk

Same here, I'm addicted....

You actually have a few more hours than that if you check the Bungie API, but I'm not sure why the bungie.net profile page shows less.

PSN: cosmos_man | Grimoire: 1945 | Glimmer: 56 | Hours Played: 477 | Characters: 30 Titan , 26 Hunter , 29 Warlock

and mine:

PSN: bytestyle | Grimoire: 2150 | Glimmer: 3007 | Hours Played: 467 | Characters: 30 Titan , 30 Hunter , 29 Warlock

Give this man a cookie.

If you would have told me 2 months ago that the chest piece i got from my first raid was the only piece i would get for the next 8 weeks, i would have laughed.

Now here we are 2 months later and Iron Banner was my savior. 1 week of PVP and i'm 30, with a great fusion rifle, heavy MG to show for my time as well.

We're not asking you to hand out shit for free Bungie, but 2 months stuck at 29 while my friends all passed me buy was one of the most disheartening experiences in gaming i've had in a while.

Progress can't be left to 100% RNG. It. Just. Can't.

Jinjo

Sucks our time zones don't align for this, need to find a regular raid crew for my time zone (gmt). Almost all of my previous regs have abandoned the game.

Same here man, a few of then will be back for dlc but I haven't raided on the regular in weeks, just with whatever invite I happen to get. We should set one up of regular experienced gaffers for the GMT timezone (I'm GMT+1). Have two lv29 alts now who have never run the hard raid (well one of them cheesed Atheon), and I'm still looking to get some gear for them (and that Fatebringer :()

Deku Tree

So what are the details for the weekly/nightfall?

I will be running both 3 each with Deku and Fixed tonight.

Add me to the group of being stuck at work every Tuesday waiting to get home to run stuff after reset. I seriously would adjust my schedule to have Tuesdays off if that was possible.

Summoning pits. Shortest strike measured by speed run times. Void Burn. I'll bring Athens Epilogue, Void Light beware, Void Raid Sniper, Truth, Corrective Measure.

More Details: http://planetdestiny.com/daily-guide/

Deku Tree

I want to do a Flawless raider before the DLC hits. Haven't tried it yet, but I can blow through the raid anyway. I mostly play after approx 9PM EST.

Anyone still want to try Flawless and plays around that time?

Mupod

ok guys, please enlighten me: is it even possible to blink across ninja (platform behind B) on shore's of time to the other side? admittedly, i haven't tried that much but everytime I fail miserably :p

do you just have to jump well before the edge of B so you blink right on top? seems tough but I'd like to get it down

this jump and firebase delphi's stupid room with the hanging thingy have been the result of a lot of dropped sphagetti on my part.

I've got the spacing down now but generally making those jumps results in dying to the clusterfuck on those points anyways, so I take other approaches.

I also died on Twilight Gap a *lot* while learning the nuances of blink.

Don't worry - I think I have around 1000 hours in World of Warcraft over the last 6 years.

Are you doing the guardian lords raid on saturday

Yeah, for sure. It sounds like fun... as long as we go for flawless.

Longer than any other time I've done for the past two months. I've only completed two other games in that time which is pathetic.

I've
killed Mom
once in Binding of Isaac... and that's it. I've never been this addicted to a game. o_O

You got time for one in 3 hours ;)

haha yeah I can be available, just let me know if you are getting people together. Got some other stuff to do in the meantime but will keep my eye on the thread.

Replace TFC with Unreal Tournament and it's exactly the same for me.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Bungie said at the start of this Iron Banner event that reputation/rank gains would be reset after it's over.

I think that they let the reputation/rank gains carry over to this event from the previous Iron Banner since they recognized that it was such a clusterfuck and wanted to reward players who put up with how arduous the event was.

Oh I know. That's what I meant with Rank 4 being easier to obtain but thanks, I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't know that ranking doesn't persist especially if they played IB 1.0. It does stink but in a way, I'm hoping they'll have different things to buy next time around. At least it seems that the emblem/shader/class item IB will continue to give a boost for the future events, hopefully!

LiK

The problem with Templar fight is how long and boring it actually is. Defending the Confluxes takes too long and by the time people get to the Templar fight itself, it feels more like a slog. People cheese it not because he's hard, but because it's faster than the normal way. It's the worst thing about VoG for repeated playthroughs. Atheon prepatch was actually fun and challenging.

realcZk

this jump and firebase delphi's stupid room with the hanging thingy have been the result of a lot of dropped sphagetti on my part.

I've got the spacing down now but generally making those jumps results in dying to the clusterfuck on those points anyways, so I take other approaches.

I also died on Twilight Gap a *lot* while learning the nuances of blink.

I've died a LOT since using blink due to falling off jumps and missing platforms but I've also dodged death a ton since using blink. I think blink is the best thing since sliced bread for PvP, and I can't wait until I perfect it. Not only does it provide insane escaping ability, but you can totally surprise enemies on cap points by blinking at the right moments and disorienting the enemy's line of sight on you. Blink has saved me from countless grenades and supers (blinking backwards).

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh not to mention they fucking changed the maze. We used to let a single hunter run it through just to make things easier, now the gate doesn't open unless you have 3 person...

fuck bungie, seriously you fucking patch out all the fun, for what?

Not sure I agree with this part. They have every right to patch out cheese exploits. Fun is important, but so is keeping content challenging.

The problem is the RNG and HP bloat and glitches, judging by their choices so far it seems they're not looking at the reason why people feel the need to cheese. That's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom