• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is a good alternative way too. Might be faster actually. Just need to clear the adds first though you can do it without doing that even.
Remember this week is a Void burn, this seems like a pretty crazy idea to me. Would be fine for the regular Weekly with no burn but the rock you can see down and to the left is what I like to camp for that, feels much more legit despite being very defensible, and still goes 3x faster than using the shrieker room.
Thanks lik. I read the quote before and I'm thinking: "Wait, I've beaten the oracles multiple times. I learned how to take down the Templar fighting alongside Hawkian and Co. We did it legit."

Now after a number of those, I prefer to blow through the raid as quick as possible because why are we playing at this point?
Come on, it's the LOOT
exactly, since the loot is all rng, id rather beat the fight as quick as possible to get my random roll of shards on all three characters in the least amount of time it takes. beating it legit the very first time was some of the most fun I've had in a coop experience ever.
I understand that I am embedded in a tiny minority across the internet but I don't give a shit about what the path of least resistance to the most loot is. I fully understand the appeal. But trivializing content that yields desirable rewards by unintended means in order to get the quickest and simplest chances at those rewards is uninteresting to me. I know it's not something that a lot of people think about, but if I were a developer that had constructed this challenge I was really proud of and put this awesome loot behind intended for the people that could beat it, it would make me really sad to know that people were getting that loot sitting in a corner and waiting for another party member to finish throwing grenades. I completely get the rationale of "when you've done it 43 times there's no challenge any more, you just want to get it done as quickly as possible" and that makes a certain amount of sense to me as a justification. I also see the logic in "once you've done it 15 times without getting the loot you want, it's all about the RNG rolls" But at the same time there's no "skill-check-to-cheese" gate for the game to know you can beat something legitimately, and I know for a fact that there are multiple people who, their first time in the raid, got through via cheesing the Templar and Atheon and getting rewards intended for those who could complete the toughest content the game has to offer. It felt so good beating Atheon on hard for the first time and being rewarded with a Mythoclast, but it feels slightly cheapened to me knowing that someone who had never demonstrated the ability to beat the Hard raid a single time could have the same exact weapon.

In the case of the Templar, I tolerate cheesing it for the sake of those raiding with me that want to, and because I still don't honestly understand how to get the bonus (no teleports) chest legitimately. I'm fortunate enough to have a group that is willing to do it legitimately every other time. When it comes to Atheon though, sometimes I do wonder if I'm the only here who never cheesed him or had any desire to do so... would love to hear from anyone else out there if you exist!

Yeah cause when I think of Destiny I think of a game that's funny and doesn't take itself seriously. Wtf?

Destiny is different things for different people.

For me and my immediate group of friends that play (We all work together) it is a way to relax and unwind with co-workers not doing work related things. We talk trash, we joke about the absurdity of some of the things the game has and we generally just have a good time while playing a pretty sound game.

If it was not for the camaraderie of our immediate group this game would have lost its charm a long time ago. The key factor of making the game so much fun is having a really close group of people to play with.

I think that somehow the API includes idle time and the profile page filters it out somehow...

But I'm not sure, maybe we really spent about 20 days each.... hard to tell :D

Whether its 14 or 20 days for me, it has been a lot of time, more than any other game, ever. I have enjoyed my time a lot, but I my backlog screams to me everyday.

Gahhhhh

flkraven

What is a good level to start 'normal' raids at? Also, are there any minimum gear requirments I should target? I'm a titan, I have IB gloves and boots, and plan on getting Shadow Price tomorrow or the next day.

Whether its 14 or 20 days for me, it has been a lot of time, more than any other game, ever. I have enjoyed my time a lot, but I my backlog screams to me everyday.

Gahhhhh

And you have to scream back "You don't own me...."

But it does, it really does and when New Years comes around and you make that resolution of taking a shot at that backlog you will cry yourself to sleep.

For me and my immediate group of friends that play (We all work together) it is a way to relax and unwind with co-workers not doing work related things. We talk trash, we joke about the absurdity of some of the things the game has and we generally just have a good time while playing a pretty sound game.

If it was not for the camaraderie of our immediate group this game would have lost its charm a long time ago. The key factor of making the game so much fun is having a really close group of people to play with.

well said post.

This is exactly my group of co-workers. I thought the trailer was kind of lame but its just for fun.

realcZk

Remember this week is a Void burn, this seems like a pretty crazy idea to me. Would be fine for the regular Weekly with no burn but the rock you can see down and to the left is what I like to camp for that, feels much more legit despite being very defensible, and still goes 3x faster than using the shrieker room.

I understand that I am embedded in a tiny minority across the internet but I don't give a shit about what the path of least resistance to the most loot is. I fully understand the appeal. But trivializing content that yields desirable rewards by unintended means in order to get the quickest and simplest chances at those rewards is uninteresting to me. I know it's not something that a lot of people think about, but if I were a developer that had constructed this challenge I was really proud of and put this awesome loot behind intended for the people that could beat it, it would make me really sad to know that people were getting that loot sitting in a corner and waiting for another party member to finish throwing grenades. I completely get the rationale of "when you've done it 43 times there's no challenge any more, you just want to get it done as quickly as possible" and that makes a certain amount of sense to me as a justification. I also see the logic in "once you've done it 15 times without getting the loot you want, it's all about the RNG rolls" But at the same time there's no "skill-check-to-cheese" gate for the game to know you can beat something legitimately, and I know for a fact that there are multiple people who, their first time in the raid, got through via cheesing the Templar and Atheon and getting rewards intended for those who could complete the toughest content the game has to offer. It felt so good beating Atheon on hard for the first time and being rewarded with a Mythoclast, but it feels slightly cheapened to me knowing that someone who had never demonstrated the ability to beat the Hard raid a single time could have the same exact weapon.

In the case of the Templar, I tolerate cheesing it for the sake of those raiding with me that want to, and because I still don't honestly understand how to get the bonus (no teleports) chest legitimately. I'm fortunate enough to have a group that is willing to do it legitimately every other time. When it comes to Atheon though, sometimes I do wonder if I'm the only here who never cheesed him or had any desire to do so... would love to hear from anyone else out there if you exist!

Oh no doubt, trivializing the content does sap the majority of the fun out of it, especially if you haven't gotten to experience VoG in its "intended glory". I'm lucky in that I play with a group of awesome people and we always somehow keep it entertaining even when "cheesing" the bosses for loot. I have well over 30 VoG hard mode clears and more on alts that I've deleted for new characters. Doing the fights "legit" isn't an issue anymore... it's just more time consuming and the fun I get from playing the raid itself has mostly been exhausted and replaced with the entertainment of my party members. It's still the most fun activity to do in Destiny for me, even when cheesing.

EDIT: I should mention when I reference cheesing I'm referring specifically to sniping the oracles and grenading the templar off the edge. I should mention that I wasn't a big fan of cheesing Atheon as it usually took forever to finally complete and doing the fight the regular way is much easier than manipulating his pathing with grenades.

Some of the fun in the raid is restored if you attempt it with 3/4 people on normal. It's a lot easier than you'd think if you have experience and its quite fun to mix it up. We've done it a few times and it was always interesting. I don't think we are quite good enough to 3 man hard but I'm pretty confident we could 4 man it :p

Pickman

Conundrum: I need 40 more Vanguard marks to get a weapon, but my rank is already like, 7 or 8. I'm good there. I need another 1/3 of a rank of Crucible to unlock the weapons tier, but I'm sitting on 165 marks already, so as soon as I'm done leveling, I can buy a weapon.

Are Crucible vendor weapons exclusively better used in PvP (perks, etc) or can I get away with using them in PvE effectively? Same question for Vanguard, too.

border

Yeah cause when I think of Destiny I think of a game that's funny and doesn't take itself seriously. Wtf?

There has always been a disconnect between the game taking itself deadly serious and somber, and Bungie's general desire to be goofy. The dancing animation and the desperate Nathan Fillion character being the primary example of the game's strange forays into comedy.

rNilla

What new stuff? Loot table isn't that big you know

At least you're still getting exotics. Don't remember the last time I got an exotic from NF

I still don't have Plan C, Thunderlord, Hardlight, Helm of Inmost Light, An Insurmountable Skullfort, Apotheosis Veil, Skull of Dire Ahamkara or even Sunbreakers. So those.

Also, what I'm really trying to say is bring on the new DLC items!

I'm talking about the game itself and not your experience. The game takes itself very seriously

I do get what you're saying though

I still don't have Plan C, Thunderlord, Hardlight, Helm of Inmost Light, An Insurmountable Skullfort, Apotheosis Veil, Skull of Dire Ahamkara or even Sunbreakers. So those.

Also, what I'm really trying to say is bring on the new DLC items!

The

I've gotten two thunderlords and a plan C from the left gorgon chest. Hope you get lucky there

phen0m24

When it comes to Atheon though, sometimes I do wonder if I'm the only here who never cheesed him or had any desire to do so... would love to hear from anyone else out there if you exist!

Totally glad I learned all propa-like from you guys. Because of you I am a 29 that KNOWS HOW to use the relic.

At Templar AND the Atheon fight. :)

I have never cheesed Atheon and honestly wouldn't know how anyway.
You've seen me play.

I want to up the challenge and have started raiding on hard. We took the GK and Atheon down old-school awesome style. Pretty sure we did the Oracles that way too.

Dude I'll admit we threw Kraft Singles at the Templar though. :( Want. That. Loot.

I get bummed when I see someone with a Mythoclast, or with a Fatebringer that appears to have just popped in and cheesed the boss. BAH.

But I'm glad those (and when I say "those" I mean Templar and Oracles. Atheon cheese is lame) cheeses exist for those of us who know the ropes and want to "fast-forward" if you will. So it's a Catch 22.

That said, I will go legit with you guys anytime. The Coolest Cats Running the Raid (TM) willing to grant a newbie entrance.
bows in obeisance

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There has always been a disconnect between the game taking itself deadly serious and somber, and Bungie's general desire to be goofy. The dancing animation and the desperate Nathan Fillion character being the primary example of the game's strange forays into comedy.
The script itself is intended to have a number of humorous and sardonic touches that would bring the tones relatively closer together; your character and Ghost are meant mainly to be looking at the problems presented in the plot with confident irreverence.

Whether or not the game accomplishes this in execution is something I don't have time to explain.

LiK

Sometimes the "cheeses" are just an alternative strategy, imo. Sometimes they're just as challenging as the "normal" way but are just far more efficient.

For example, when people find different ways to "cheese" enemies in certain locations like under the platforms or on a ledge, I think that's a perfectly acceptable method. You're still avoiding getting killed and still taking time to kill the enemies. The only difference is that you're not forced to run around where Bungie wants you to run.

Whenever Bungie closes up a cheese location, they're just making the game more and more linear. I mean, why skip through mobs during story missions/strikes either cuz you're not stopping and killing every enemy along the way. Is that also the wrong way to play the game?

I think players should be given the flexibility to kill the enemies however they want even if it takes advantage of the dumb AI. Going through the same exact way of playing every time becomes monotonous and doesn't allow players to actually have fun and experiment with enemy encounters.

Jinjo

So I got a legendary scout rifle that's pretty decent from the nightfall. An okay Epitaph but the vendor one is still better and 7 strange coins. Meanwhile, the dudes I played with all got exotics. Goddamn RNGesus! Must I sacrifice my second born child now too?!

zewone

Ran one Nightfall before heading to work this morning.

Got Plan C.

I didn't have it so that's cool. I'm not much of a fusion rifle guy though.

Ran hard raid twice. Got shards, raid pieces I already have, and the FATEBRINGER! Finally. Been waiting for this baby forever.

Thank God for the Iron Banner, because VoG is still being stingy as hell with those raid gloves.

Looking forward to my first raid runs tonight where I don't have to stress out over the gloves or boots. At this point, anything i get is just gravy and I can relax until The Dark Below is out.

Feels good man. Feels good.

realcZk

That said, I will go legit with you guys anytime. The Coolest Cats Running the Raid (TM) willing to grant a newbie entrance.
bows in obeisance

My first Fatebringer was from the Templar fight legit, my first Mythoclast was from pushing Atheon off the ledge with Pulse grenades+ Armamentarium and Fist of Havoc. I had already done the hard raid prior legit otherwise I wouldn't have attempted the cheese because I have OCD like that... although ever since that Mythoclast drop I can't get away from the damn things now, have gotten 5 since.

Strider

Ran one Nightfall before heading to work this morning.

Got Plan C.

I didn't have it so that's cool. I'm not much of a fusion rifle guy though.

I'm not a huge fusion rifle guy either but I really hope Xur sells this come Friday... Really want to try it out.

LiK

So I got a legendary scout rifle that's pretty decent from the nightfall. An okay Epitaph but the vendor one is still better and 7 strange coins. Meanwhile, the dudes I played with all got exotics. Goddamn RNGesus! Must I sacrifice my second born child now too?!

Why didn't you wait for me? People who play with me always gets nice loot drops.

realcZk

Swarm isn't a good loot drop to you? ...ok then

i have swarms for days. if swarms were edible, i could feed the entire planet. last week i did nightfall on all three characters, got 2 swarms and some energy. The week before I got 2 swarms and some shards. every legendary heavy weapon engram I decode? swarm. blue heavy engram? garbage right? WORSE. SWARM.

scared to do it again tonight....

Jinjo

Why didn't you wait for me? People who play with me always gets nice loot drops.

Haha, the thirst is real lol. I'm afraid that by the time you get there I don't have much playtime left, so after we beat Xyor I'm gonna go to bed sorry.

phen0m24

i have swarms for days. if swarms were edible, i could feed the entire planet. last week i did nightfall on all three characters, got 2 swarms and some energy. The week before I got 2 swarms and some shards. every legendary heavy weapon engram I decode? swarm. blue heavy engram? garbage right? WORSE. SWARM.

That's how I feel about Black Wax Idols.

Strider

It all makes sense now...

Sometimes the "cheeses" are just an alternative strategy, imo. Sometimes they're just as challenging as the "normal" way but are just far more efficient.

For example, when people find different ways to "cheese" enemies in certain locations like under the platforms or on a ledge, I think that's a perfectly acceptable method. You're still avoiding getting killed and still taking time to kill the enemies. The only difference is that you're not forced to run around where Bungie wants you to run.

Whenever Bungie closes up a cheese location, they're just making the game more and more linear. I mean, why skip through mobs during story missions/strikes either cuz you're not stopping and killing every enemy along the way. Is that also the wrong way to play the game?

I think players should be given the flexibility to kill the enemies however they want even if it takes advantage of the dumb AI. Going through the same exact way of playing every time becomes monotonous and doesn't allow players to actually have fun and experiment with enemy encounters.

Nightfall's are not always balanced or well thought out by bungie. I remember that one archon priest strike where all burns (solar, void, and arc) were turned on in addition to light switch I believe. How is anybody supposed to beat that strike without hiding somewhere? If Nightfalls were properly balanced for difficulty then some of those cheese spots would not be necessary. Most of us here play more videogames than the average person and are not too bad at it either. I'm sure if some of these NF's werent so over the top we would be doning them the "legit" way

nowai

T3abY.gif

flkraven

What is a good level to start 'normal' raids at? Also, are there any minimum gear requirments I should target? I'm a titan, I have IB gloves and boots, and plan on getting Shadow Price tomorrow or the next day.

Just quoting this for a new page. Would really appreciate the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom