• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trakan

All his stats were quickly proven wrong in comments. Armor is the only thing that matters, as it is the only stat that affects how many hits you can take. Recovery is almost worthless, because having the opportunity to hide for 1 second, 1.5 seconds and 2 seconds is minimal assuming you found cover. (this is all for PvE) Not dying in three or four shots compared to 2 matters way more. The Titan moves much, much faster than the Hunter. The triple jump is the lowest and shortest jump out of any class. The only time triple jump has a distance advantage is when you are dropping down. A platform to platform jump at equal levels or going up in height, both Warlock and Titan are better jumpers. It is stupid, the Hunter should be the most mobile class because it is inherently the most squishy. I am 150+ hours in on my Hunter, she is garbage for mobility, toughness, supers in lvl 20+ game play, and Raids as they stand.

I'm not sure how you're having trouble. I run max agility on all 3 classes just because the others do nothing and I like to be that little bit quicker. I have no problems surviving anything. The hunter also definitely feels the fastest of any of the classes. I don't feel any tougher as a titan either. Glide and hover are both useless to me, I just have to put up with them. I'm not a fan of triple jump either, I prefer higher double jump. You won't convince me anything is better.

As for raids, hunters are the best class outside of the obvious self res warlock. One shotting hobgoblins, oracles, and supplicants is amazing. Not sure what to tell you.

Cømet

Banned
I'm not sure how you're having trouble. I run max agility on all 3 classes just because the others do nothing and I like to be that little bit quicker. I have no problems surviving anything. The hunter also definitely feels the fastest of any of the classes. I don't feel any tougher as a titan either. Glide and hover are both useless to me, I just have to put up with them. I'm not a fan of triple jump either, I prefer higher double jump. You won't convince me anything is better.

As for raids, hunters are the best class outside of the obvious self res warlock. One shotting hobgoblins, oracles, and supplicants is amazing. Not sure what to tell you.

My titan can do that too, with her lovely Icebreaker ;)

This pleases me.

Since I can't get any hand cannons to drop aside from the Thorn bounty I've had to stick with merchant guns. I've almost got my Fixer maxed out and I really want TDYK but I'm only half way there on Vanguard credits. It takes forever to accrue them.

If I ever get TLW or Hawkmoon to drop I'll scream like a girl.

TDYK is pretty awesome. The vendor version actually has some great perks. With Send It it has a range and accuracy that make it really easy to land precision shots.

Had a LHF drop from an engram last weekend. Still haven't used it, but I'm going to level it up with my alt. The one I got seems quite comparable with TDYK looking at the stats and perks.

I love the look of TLW but its stats look really lackluster for me, especially considering I'm mainly a PvE player. Still, I want it.

Nightfall is so much easier than weekly thanks to arc burn. Got another Monte Carlo which I had to scrap so was a pretty crappy reward. Would rather have had a bunch of Ascendent Energy instead :(

Titan bubbles save lives

Mupod

Are exotic bounties extremely rare? I really want a Thorn, but I haven't gotten anything yet.

I'll probably focus on pvp tonight. I got a ton of easy crucible bounties last night and had time to do none of them, but they're still in my inventory.

Hoodbury

Are exotic bounties extremely rare? I really want a Thorn, but I haven't gotten anything yet.

I'll probably focus on pvp tonight. I got a ton of easy crucible bounties last night and had time to do none of them, but they're still in my inventory.

Depends who you ask. Some get them all the time, others seemed like it took forever for them to get their first one. It's all RNG, but you only get them when you turn in bounties. So you have a higher chance of getting one if you do a lot of bounties.

It's all RNG. I didn't get any the first month, then in October I managed to complete all 5.

Ugh, I am not having trouble. I solo nightfalls and do raids with my Hunter no problem. I just think the class is really disappointing. I don't think you are understanding my points. No shit if you play smart and don't get hit, things like armor and recovery don't matter. Hell, run around naked if you are never getting hit. What I am saying is, when those stats actually matter, as in you are taking 4 consecutive shots in a row, a higher armor rating unequivocally makes your armor bar last longer/takes more hits before going into the red "health" section. That is what is meant by squishy, that you die quicker when in scenarios you are actually being hit. The problem is, you can get more agility,armor and recovery with little trade off with Titan compared to the Hunter. This isn't even taking in to account you jump substantially faster with a Titan than an Hunter. It seems stupid to me that without even trying you are not only much tougher than Hunter (as it should be) but also much faster (makes no sense to me imo). You shouldn't have to min max a Hunter to make them faster than the "tank" class. I run with glass cannon, hunter, sniper, pistol, squishy, etc classes in every game I play that offers the traditional class tropes. They are my favorite class type by far. Destiny is the first one where they seem to strongly imply the trope without actually executing it with the subclass talents. This is my point. I am not saying they are unusable, I just thing they are the weakest, lamest jump., least versatile in late game PvE class in the game. This could change with future raids, but as it stands, I cannot wait to get my Titan and Warlock to 28 and start raiding with them. Oracles are the first time my golden gun has become useful again outside of clearing trash mobs since I hit lvl 22 I think. Ice Breaker one shots hobgoblins and supplicants regardless of your class. I would say Oracles are the only place where golden gun truly shines. But good strategy can always make up for deficiencies. I am disappointed in the jumping mobility more than anything. When I have to farm spirit bloom, I go with my Titan.

gdt

Got a second chest of alpha lupi from the Nightfall. It's Intellect star is higher than my almost maxed out one...with upgrades will it go even higher?

Qwell

So I don't usually believe in the little tips and tricks, but I made an exception with this one and it has worked wonders for me. I went over 100 hours without a single exotic bounty, had 3x characters over lvl 22 and nothing.

Someone told me that the chances are increased if you complete a full 5x bounties and then turn all 5x in as quick as you can, so when you open the vender screen just mash xxxxx to turn them all in rapid fire. Since I started doing that, I have gotten ... I can't even remember, a lot of exotic bounties, I have put in probably another 100+ hours since never having any, and I have:

3x Thorn
2x Pocket Infinity
2x Bad JuJu
1x Invective
2x Super Good Advice

So I don't usually believe in the little tips and tricks, but I made an exception with this one and it has worked wonders for me. I went over 100 hours without a single exotic bounty, had 3x characters over lvl 22 and nothing.

Someone told me that the chances are increased if you complete a full 5x bounties and then turn all 5x in as quick as you can, so when you open the vender screen just mash xxxxx to turn them all in rapid fire. Since I started doing that, I have gotten ... I can't even remember, a lot of exotic bounties, I have put in probably another 100+ hours since never having any, and I have:

3x Thorn
2x Pocket Infinity
2x Bad JuJu
1x Invective
2x Super Good Advice

This actually does work. I've dismantled a few missives by now haha

MADGAME

Sweet, Nightfalls are my favorite activity to solo, I love the mix of playing cautiously and massive damage from the burn. Can't wait to get home and play.

Running with Fatebringer, Praedyth's Timepiece, Arc 77 Wizard, The Chosen, and Thunderlord.

3 chances at Gjallarhorn, gimme gimme gimme.

patchday

Last night at the hard raid I noticed my Icebreaker hit for 1669 on the first gatekeeper while my Pradeth's void sniper only hit for less than 1k. Does Icebreaker just hit like a freight train or does the Vex Gatekeeper have a super weakness to Solar? Ah, I see I really need to max my jellohorn. I am assuming Nightfalls will increase my weapon xp. Need to hit up nightfall asap

MADGAME

Got a second chest of alpha lupi from the Nightfall. It's Intellect star is higher than my almost maxed out one...with upgrades will it go even higher?

Only defense and light stats go up IIRC

Actually, Str/Int/Dis stats do increase as you level up the equipment.

Last night at the hard raid I noticed my Icebreaker hit for 1669 on the first gatekeeper while my Pradeth's void sniper only hit for less than 1k. Does Icebreaker just hit like a freight train or does the Vex Gatekeeper have a super weakness to Solar? Ah, I see I really need to max my jellohorn. I am assuming Nightfalls will increase my weapon xp. Need to hit up nightfall asap
It's the impact. Icebreaker impact is beastly.

Deku Tree

Cømet;138360277 said:
Dead Orbit's Exodus RS1 has treated me pretty well this nightfall.

Though, Fatebringer's the real star, with P&T completing the set.

Yup. I might have to take my p&t out of the vault. I don't think I have used it at all yet. Had it for weeks. Icebreaker is too good. Lol.

Cømet

Banned

Icebreaker's just that good.

Yup. I might have to take my p&t out of the vault. I don't think I have used it at all yet. Had it for weeks. Icebreaker is too good. Lol.

lol far too good. I bought P&T the weekend specifically for arc burn stuff, no other secondary gets used anywhere near as much as Ice Breaker.

matmanx1

TDYK is pretty awesome. The vendor version actually has some great perks. With Send It it has a range and accuracy that make it really easy to land precision shots.

Had a LHF drop from an engram last weekend. Still haven't used it, but I'm going to level it up with my alt. The one I got seems quite comparable with TDYK looking at the stats and perks.

I love the look of TLW but its stats look really lackluster for me, especially considering I'm mainly a PvE player. Still, I want it.

I want The Last Word primarily for PVP. It has a higher rate of fire than TDYK and should, on most maps, be able to out dps most other primary weapons in the short time it takes to kill another player. The hip fire bonus accuracy and damage as well as the perfect balance perk mean those short/medium range engagements are going to be loud and fun.

For PVE TDYK has Send it, a higher impact rating, 4 more rounds in the chamber and increases damage after causing damage. I regularly get headshots of 1500+ on the first shot and 1700+ on the second because of that damage bonus perk. For precision kills I think it's tough to beat the vendor bought TDYK although I would love to be proven wrong once I land a TLW, Hawkmoon or Fatebringer.

realcZk

ice breaker hits a lot harder than other sniper rifles. on hard mode against atheon as a level 30 with a fully upgraded IB with WoL, it hits for just under 18k crit a shot

This actually does work. I've dismantled a few missives by now haha

This is all confirmation bias. You have a chance for an exotic bounty any time you turn in a bounty over level 20. The only way to get exotic bounties is do shit loads of bounties and pray to RNG. I have turned in three bounties incredibly slow (moving around gear to level) and received exotics. Just this past weekend, I did one bounty for the day, turned it in and got an exotic. I have also turned in all five bounties countless times as fast as possible while running telemetries and it does nothing. If you are turning in lumps of bounties you are just going to be more likely to trigger RNG exotic because you are rolling the dice 5 times in a row. The quickness has nothing to do with it. It is like how the loot cave worked. You got more engrams because you just rolled the dice hundreds of times over and over. There was nothing more to it than efficiency and RNG.

Hoodbury

3x Thorn
2x Pocket Infinity
2x Bad JuJu
1x Invective
2x Super Good Advice

Of course that is just an "old wives tale". You are just getting 5 chances of it happening since you are turning in 5 at a time.

If you get the exotic on the 3rd turn-in, the system has no idea you were going to turn in 2 more.

Every time you turn in a bounty you have whatever the RNG chance is to get an exotic bounty. There is no tips or tricks.
although every time I got one of my exotic bounties I spinned around in a circle 2 times clockwise and then 1 time counterclockwise before I turned it in and I got the exotic every time doing that.

Atkison04

Anyone looking for a normal fresh raid this evening around 6:30pm EST? I'm looking to run one each night at that time tonight thru Thursday night.

Cømet;138365530 said:

lol far too good. I bought P&T the weekend specifically for arc burn stuff, no other secondary gets used anywhere near as much as Ice Breaker.

There's no way that Icebreaker comes out of the Exotics balance patch without some serious nerfs. Right now it has the highest effective DPS of any sniper rifle and the respawn is super-quick.

Bungie's statement on balance isn't that all things are equal, but rather that there's not "one" choice. Right now, Icebreaker is *the* exotic for Nightfall and for a lot of the Raid. At the very least the damage is going to get nerfed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the respawn gets a small nerf too.

Ice breaker just hits like a fucking truck. Praedyth's Revenge doesn't have that high an impact rating, but you can get 6 shots of pretty fast so it's not that big a deal.

patchday

Actually, Str/Int/Dis stats do increase as you level up the equipment.

It's the impact. Icebreaker impact is beastly.

Cømet;138365530 said:

ice breaker hits a lot harder than other sniper rifles. on hard mode against atheon as a level 30 with a fully upgraded IB with WoL, it hits for just under 18k crit a shot

I see. need to max out icebreaker and the 'horn. Wish I could level them together in one setup

Yes. If it's base stat is already higher that your almost maxed, it will increase even more. My original Voidfang Vestments maxed at Str +125. When Xur sold them again, the base stat was +128, and after I fully upgraded it was +144, which means it increased by +16 while doing upgrades.

X-Frame

I just watched the Blizzcon 2014 presentation about the evolution of Diablo 3 and it is quite shocking how similar D3 seemed to be at launch with Destiny now.

Blizzard talked a lot about everything they learned and how they fixed it, and I was able to correlate most of what they talked about with Destiny's situation now with loot and gear drops and farming, etc.

I watched it from an app on my phone so I don't have a link but I'm sure it's easy to find if you guys want to watch it.

Cømet

Banned
There's no way that Icebreaker comes out of the Exotics balance patch without some serious nerfs. Right now it has the highest effective DPS of any sniper rifle and the respawn is super-quick.

Bungie's statement on balance isn't that all things are equal, but rather that there's not "one" choice. Right now, Icebreaker is *the* exotic for Nightfall and for a lot of the Raid. At the very least the damage is going to get nerfed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the respawn gets a small nerf too.

Nah it'll be fine. It's power isn't ridiculous in PvP, and PvP's the reason things have been nerfed thus far. It's just a regen-ing sniper in PvP. Which is actually more of a hindrance than a help, given just how common special ammo is in Crucible.

Deku Tree

Things I still want from the raid that I don't have:

2nd raid boots warlock
Praetorian foil
Vex mytho
Athens epilogue
2nd raid helm warlock
Raid armor for my Titan (who has none)

RNGesus please be kind to me in my raid attempts this week. I'm going to do 2x hard raid with my 30 warlocks and 1x normal raid with my 27 Titan. Oh I also want the helm of saint 14 for my Titan. Oh and I wouldnt mind picking up a hype horn either... Otherwise I'm set until the dlc hits.

BuzzJive

It's all RNG. I didn't get any the first month, then in October I managed to complete all 5.

I had no idea there were only 5 until just now. I'm on my 3rd, with 4 days total of playing time under my belt. I've never been offered the PI one, and the Bad Juju one doesn't interest me much with all the negative attention it gets.

I would assume we'd get some new exotic bounties with the DLC, but I suppose that hasn't been confirmed.

LordofPwn

I actually only use icebreaker to handle juggler, so i can use a different special. I use PR in the raid. 6 quick accurate void shots and ammo isn't scarce.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I just watched the Blizzcon 2014 presentation about the evolution of Diablo 3 and it is quite shocking how similar D3 seemed to be at launch with Destiny now.

Blizzard talked a lot about everything they learned and how they fixed it, and I was able to correlate most of what they talked about with Destiny's situation now with loot and gear drops and farming, etc.

I watched it from an app on my phone so I don't have a link but I'm sure it's easy to find if you guys want to watch it.

The changes Blizzard made to Diablo 3 are unheard of. They changed such fundamental concepts and aspects of the game, and all based on player feedback. And for a game without a subscription! It's amazing. They took a good if somewhat mediocre product and turned it into one of the best games of the last 5 years.

It's also why I think Bungie can "fix" Destiny. So many of our issues can be fixed through updates/DLC (boo DLC, but whatever, fix it). The core of the game, the part that can't easily be fixed - the gameplay - is amazing, and really, close to perfect. Just great. It's the stuff around the edges - e.g., clan support, chat, etc - that needs fixing, and I think they will do it. Eventually.

Anyone looking for a normal fresh raid this evening around 6:30pm EST? I'm looking to run one each night at that time tonight thru Thursday night.

If I can't convince the guys I run with hard is a bad idea (I'm 30, 3 29s, no hard experience) tonight, I'd be down to run normal on an alt tomorrow with you (28 max weapons).

Add me on PSN - Dr_LawyerCop, and send me a message tomorrow if you're getting a group together.

matmanx1

Cømet;138367657 said:
Nah it'll be fine. It's power isn't ridiculous in PvP, and PvP's the reason things have been nerfed thus far. It's just a regen-ing sniper in PvP. Which is actually more of a hindrance than a help, given just how common special ammo is in Crucible.

Didn't the ammo regen get nerfed on Invective though? I hope Icebreaker doesn't get nerfed but I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie swings the nerf bat towards it.

realcZk

Yeah, let's hope Bungie is willing to give Destiny as much attention as Blizzard gave Diablo 3. Blizzard has put out so many updates and free content patches for D3 it's impressive for a game that has no monthly subscription. Sure, some of it required the expansion and I can understand that. I'm pretty impressed that they are still committed to supporting and improving the game. It took a few new people to join the team over there to get it to this point though. They really listen to the community and it shows in-game.

One weekend they had a buff that doubled your chances to get a legendary drop. Everyone loved it. Everyone told Blizzard they loved it, and Blizzard released a patch saying that this double drop rate would now be the standard rate going forward.

Blizzard is one of the few companies still out there that supports their games for many years after release and keeps making noticeable improvements and content patches. Hell, the official Diablo 2 servers are still online for anyone that wants to play... that's awesome.

maomaoIYP

Where's a good cheese spot for the nightfall? I got chewed up hiding under the platform. I did the entrance to the area but got surprised swarmed near the end.

Cømet

Banned
Didn't the ammo regen get nerfed on Invective though? I hope Icebreaker doesn't get nerfed but I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie swings the nerf bat towards it.

Dunno, haven't used my Invective since I got it :p It is a shotgun though. Shotguns were (and still are) a problem in PvP. I've never heard anyone complain about Snipers wrecking them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom