• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of confirmation biases, does anyone else feel like they get better nightfall drops in a full party compared to running solo? Any time I bring in two others for the kill, I get better rolls.

Atkison04

If I can't convince the guys I run with hard is a bad idea (I'm 30, 3 29s, no hard experience) tonight, I'd be down to run normal on an alt tomorrow with you (28 max weapons).

Add me on PSN - Dr_LawyerCop, and send me a message tomorrow if you're getting a group together.

Just wrote your PSN Id down man. I'll add you when I get online this evening. I'm also running with fully leveled vision of confluence, gjallarhorn, etc. I have level 29 warlock, 28 hunter and 28 titan. Looking to run raid with all 3 over the next 3 nights. I'm "the7thAssassin" btw.

Fitts

I don't see why Bungie should nerf OP PvE weapons like the icebreaker. If it's not killing PvP then leave it alone.

This. If one feels that something is OP in PvE and still chooses to use it then that's on them. They're not ruining anyone else's experience.

patchday

The changes Blizzard made to Diablo 3 are unheard of. They changed such fundamental concepts and aspects of the game, and all based on player feedback. And for a game without a subscription! It's amazing. They took a good if somewhat mediocre product and turned it into one of the best games of the last 5 years.

It's also why I think Bungie can "fix" Destiny. So many of our issues can be fixed through updates/DLC (boo DLC, but whatever, fix it). The core of the game, the part that can't easily be fixed - the gameplay - is amazing, and really, close to perfect. Just great. It's the stuff around the edges - e.g., clan support, chat, etc - that needs fixing, and I think they will do it. Eventually.

I don't think Bungie has Blizzard's "influence". I fear they will just roll out those 2 DLCs and move on to Destiny 2. I always think of Bungie as your typical console dev. Blizzard on the other hand, has a proven track record of supporting their games for many years with no profits (beyond still selling the title). I pray Bungie proves me dead wrong. They supported Halo very well however they didnt have to overhaul anything since it was a straight forward, honest shooter. This game has way more scope and Bungie got drowned in it sort of. I agree with you though we have a great base here and I have gotten many great hours from this game. But if it were not for gaf I'd be long gone. Gaf makes this game fun (not Bungie really, they've done nothing since launch but drive folks away)

I know I'm gonna buy D3 for my PS4 this weekend though and play it a bit on the side. I never purchased D3 so I'm excited :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This. If one feels that something is OP in PvE and still chooses to use it then that's on them. They're not ruining anyone else's experience.

I don't like it because it forces everyone to use certain weapons and makes other weapons useless. What's the point of having 400 different weapons if one of them is clearly better than the others? Forcing the player to artificially gimp themselves is not a solution.

I don't even run Icebreaker that much because of Ballerhorn but if they nerf either one I'm done with this game.

They should should be trying to make every exotic as awesome as those two, not nerfing them into mediocrity.

commish

I don't think Bungie has Blizzard's "influence". I fear they will just roll out those 2 DLCs and move on to Destiny 2. I always think of Bungie as your typical console dev. Blizzard on the other hand, has a proven track record of supporting their games for many years with no profits (beyond still selling the title). I pray Bungie proves me dead wrong. They supported Halo very well however they didnt have to overhaul anything since it was a straight forward, honest shooter. This game has way more scope and Bungie got drowned in it sort of. I agree with you though we have a great base here and I have gotten many great hours from this game. But if it were not for gaf I'd be long gone. Gaf makes this game fun (not Bungie really, they've done nothing since launch but drive folks away)

I know I'm gonna buy D3 for my PS4 this weekend though and play it a bit on the side. I never purchased D3 so I'm excited :)

Well, Activision! That will be Destiny's biggest hurdle...

I'll add you on PSN. When you get D3, we can team up. It's important to play with non-cheaters, which is the only negative to D3. I still play every day though.

realcZk

well, blizzard makes so much from WoW subs every month that they can afford to roll out new content for tons of games with no profits :p

but yeah, i hear you on the influence part. depending on activisions plans for the game based on how much profit it's bringing in, bungie may have to proiritize another project. Blizzard brings in a lot more monthly revenue than bungie.

DjRalford

Where's a good cheese spot for the nightfall? I got chewed up hiding under the platform. I did the entrance to the area but got surprised swarmed near the end.

Our group used the entrance

One down
One up
One on the ledge high up on the left of the entrance ( you cant be hit here by the priest if you stand right at the back with a sniper but beware of snipers on the other side, and be careful not to go out of bounds.

maomaoIYP

One down
One up
One on the ledge high up on the left of the entrance ( you cant be hit here by the priest if you stand right at the back with a sniper but beware of snipers on the other side, and be careful not to go out of bounds.

I'm doing it solo. I had to occasionally jump down from the entrance to lure them into range, but it became too difficult towards the end.

zewone

I don't even run Icebreaker that much because of Ballerhorn but if they nerf either one I'm done with this game.

They should should be trying to make every exotic as awesome as those two, not nerfing them into mediocrity.

They only nerfed the ones that are too effective in PVP, not PVE like those two.

So, we can hope that's enough.

Trakan

Ugh, I am not having trouble. I solo nightfalls and do raids with my Hunter no problem. I just think the class is really disappointing. I don't think you are understanding my points. No shit if you play smart and don't get hit, things like armor and recovery don't matter. Hell, run around naked if you are never getting hit. What I am saying is, when those stats actually matter, as in you are taking 4 consecutive shots in a row, a higher armor rating unequivocally makes your armor bar last longer/takes more hits before going into the red "health" section. That is what is meant by squishy, that you die quicker when in scenarios you are actually being hit. The problem is, you can get more agility,armor and recovery with little trade off with Titan compared to the Hunter. This isn't even taking in to account you jump substantially faster with a Titan than an Hunter. It seems stupid to me that without even trying you are not only much tougher than Hunter (as it should be) but also much faster (makes no sense to me imo). You shouldn't have to min max a Hunter to make them faster than the "tank" class. I run with glass cannon, hunter, sniper, pistol, squishy, etc classes in every game I play that offers the traditional class tropes. They are my favorite class type by far. Destiny is the first one where they seem to strongly imply the trope without actually executing it with the subclass talents. This is my point. I am not saying they are unusable, I just thing they are the weakest, lamest jump., least versatile in late game PvE class in the game. This could change with future raids, but as it stands, I cannot wait to get my Titan and Warlock to 28 and start raiding with them. Oracles are the first time my golden gun has become useful again outside of clearing trash mobs since I hit lvl 22 I think. Ice Breaker one shots hobgoblins and supplicants regardless of your class. I would say Oracles are the only place where golden gun truly shines. But good strategy can always make up for deficiencies. I am disappointed in the jumping mobility more than anything. When I have to farm spirit bloom, I go with my Titan.

I ran maxed armor when the game first came out. I eventually changed to agility to move faster and have noticed zero difference. All my characters have a sliver of an armor bar. If you have evidence to back up that armor lets you survive more hits I'd like to see it. Even if it did, I don't think I'd want to give up the movement speed and have the chance to get hit more. The defense stat seemingly means nothing in this game, it's all level based. From level 29 > 30, you gain like 20 defense but can survive way more when taking a hit from a level 30 enemy. Your views on the jumps are just opinions. You like the titan jump, I hate it. I like the hunter jump, you hate it.

I'll give you that hunter supers in PVE outside the raid are pretty terrible.

commish

3 NF
3 weekly
3 hard raids done again lol

You've finished Destiny for the week :p

All I do anymore is 1 raid with my warlock alt in an effort to get him to 30, and then the weekly/NFs. That's literally it. Maybe 4 hours total per week. Don't even bother to raid with my two level 30s, as there's no loot to get.

LordofPwn

One down
One up

This is the strat i use. can always go from the sniper perch back to the entrance if things get dicey.

Future

I wouldnt mind an icebreaker nerf really. It's Bungies own fault. Strats like hanging out in doorways to boss fights or generally camping is almost a core design element. IceBreaker emphasizes it and I'd say more useful than Suros at this point as it breaks every damn thing. If I ever die, I feel like a fool for just not hanging back sniping with infinite ammo. Doing that is often faster than every other strategy unless an element burn is involved (and even then, 33% chance its a burn I can use)

I mean what were they thinking. Infinite ammo, sweet stability, sweet damage...there are no drawbacks. I'd settle for a nerf that keeps the identity (infinite ammo), but lowers effectiveness (damage output, or element removal so burns cant enhance) just a bit to make it worth at least carrying one other damn sniper rifle

realcZk

I wouldnt mind an icebreaker nerf really. It's Bungies own fault. Strats like hanging out in doorways to boss fights or generally camping is almost a core design element. IceBreaker emphasizes it and I'd say more useful than Suros at this point as it breaks every damn thing. If I ever die, I feel like a fool for just not hanging back sniping with infinite ammo. Doing that is often faster than every other strategy unless an element burn is involved (and even then, 33% chance its a burn I can use)

I mean what were they thinking. Infinite ammo, sweet stability, sweet damage...there are no drawbacks. I'd settle for a nerf that keeps the identity (infinite ammo), but lowers effectiveness (damage output, or element removal so burns cant enhance) just a bit to make it worth at least carrying one other damn sniper rifle

every strike boss cheese spot feels like it was added intentionally. a few minutes of play testing would have made these spots obvious. ice breaker really isn't really the problem here, but it just makes it easier. if they made it so there were none of these stupid safe areas to begin with, then an ice breaker nerf wouldnt really be necessary. that and strike boss HP needs adjusting in general.

Sweet stability? Really? Maybe my icebreaker is broken, but the last thing I'd call it is stable. It kicks like a freakin bronco.

Alucrid

Banned

I mean, nerfing ice breaker won't fix that. I'll just have to use some special ammo synthesis.

MADGAME

You've finished Destiny for the week :p

All I do anymore is 1 raid with my warlock alt in an effort to get him to 30, and then the weekly/NFs. That's literally it. Maybe 4 hours total per week. Don't even bother to raid with my two level 30s, as there's no loot to get.

I have all the Raid gear too, but was still running them for the chance of an exotic at the chest after Templar and killing Atheon. I've only ever received one exotic, but usually someone in the party gets one.

zewone

I mean what were they thinking. Infinite ammo, sweet stability, sweet damage...there are no drawbacks.

Hm? It kicks like a mule. I've gotten used to compensating for it and dragging my reticle back down, but when I think of sweet stability I think of Praedyth's Revenge or Patience and Time.

Steroyd

Fuck you RNGesus!

Praetorians Foil is all I got this week, shouldn't complain too much becaise that was the first time I've ever seen it drop for someone, but now I've got ass energy in Patience and Time and a Plan C, sharding them is going to be painful. :(

patchday

Well, Activision! That will be Destiny's biggest hurdle...

I'll add you on PSN. When you get D3, we can team up. It's important to play with non-cheaters, which is the only negative to D3. I still play every day though.

Awesome! psn sandboxgod

well, blizzard makes so much from WoW subs every month that they can afford to roll out new content for tons of games with no profits :p

but yeah, i hear you on the influence part. depending on activisions plans for the game based on how much profit it's bringing in, bungie may have to proiritize another project. Blizzard brings in a lot more monthly revenue than bungie.

Well even back in Starcraft 1 days I was amazed how well Blizzard's support was. But yeah you're right about those WoW monies flowing in haha

commish

I have all the Raid gear too, but was still running them for the chance of an exotic at the chest after Templar and killing Atheon. I've only ever received one exotic, but usually someone in the party gets one.

The main exotic I want is a ghorn. The odds of getting them out of that box are so low... though I've seen it multiple times... you make a good point.

I ran maxed armor when the game first came out. I eventually changed to agility to move faster and have noticed zero difference. All my characters have a sliver of an armor bar. If you have evidence to back up that armor lets you survive more hits I'd like to see it. Even if it did, I don't think I'd want to give up the movement speed and have the chance to get hit more. The defense stat seemingly means nothing in this game, it's all level based. From level 29 > 30, you gain like 20 defense but can survive way more when taking a hit from a level 30 enemy. Your views on the jumps are just opinions. You like the titan jump, I hate it. I like the hunter jump, you hate it.

I'll give you that hunter supers in PVE outside the raid are pretty terrible.

You can do jump tests easy. Regardless of preference, the titan double jump moves you farther forward and faster than the Hunter triple. The Titan also has higher vertical jump. Go pick a spot and test it out. Tank class is nimble as hell in Destiny.

Umm...IB's stability is ass. It's only (minor) drawback really.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No amount of Hawkian posts will undo the fact that Hunters are supposed to be nimble and quick and are neither.
yes they are
Using supers and stuff smartly is fine, I know how to get the most out of my hunter main and I stay alive more than my titan and warlock friends just out of strategy.
meh, totally irrelevant!
Golden gun is great for oracles, blah blah.
ha ha
garbage for Raids
Golden gun also great for hobgoblins, praetorians, descendant minotaurs, and supplicants

On the other hand Bladedancer is the best subclass to solo a portal due to Gjallarhorn kill + stealth grab the relic

The triple jump is the lowest and shortest jump out of any class.
I know some people love it but I honestly consider triple jump completely worthless outside of the jumping puzzle by the way (which I'm not using gunslinger for anyway). On Gunslinger, both of the other jumps are viable per your preference; I use higher jump. The idea of using Triple Jump for forward momentum is especially hilarious.

But the real agility is on Bladedancers anyway. Gunslingers are intended to keep their distance, be calm, methodical, and kill as many things with as few bullets as possible, like Jaren Ward wielding The Last Word. Bladedancers are the acrobatic ninjas.
I am just talking about the base stats you assume with class characteristic. Like the big tanky looking class should not be the highest and fastest jumping, which it inarguable is. The Titan double jump moves you forward faster and gets you higher in straight vertical.
Meh, and I say again, meh, That's just you assuming what the classes should be like. The "base stats" in terms of the bars on the stat screen are ultimately not that important... they have barely any impact compared to the actual class and build choices you make.

Titans are about momentum. They're not slow, lumbering tanks. They're unstoppable forces. Thus Shoulder Charge. Thus Juggernaut. Thus Warmachine. Thus all the punching. Thus Fist of Havoc. Titans were never intended to be slow. Warlocks are plainly and simply the slowest class in terms of moment. Titans are meant to pick up speed and combine it with their mass to convert into death.

But Hunters are faster. And more agile. Per your bold, not only is it arguable I'm pretty sure that's actually flat out untrue compared to Bladedancers, though I'd like to do some testing on it. I'm sure Titans have the highest verticals ups 'cause they have jetpacks. Either way, I just saw you do a whole aria on Hunter mobility without a single mention of their most important movement skill...
Vhayne said:
Sprinting seems the same on all my characters
Fleet Footed - Increases maximum sprint speed and extends slide distance.

Are you guys not using this because it's the first one in the column you unlock, or what...?

It absolutely gives Bladedancers the fastest sprint in the game... it also doesn't just extend your slide distance, it increases the speed of your slide, turning it into a boost (there's even a damn sound and visual effect to accompany it, even visible in the Tower). It moves you around quicker. It makes you harder to hit. It gets you behind cover quicker. It immediately puts you a few seconds from stealth with Stalker. It is absolutely critical to Bladedancer play and no other class has anything like it.
I use Hunters just fine in getting shit done, but as a class they make no sense. They are neither a glass cannon, or a glass ninja(except in PvP), but when it comes to their build various in PvE, they are just glass.
Come on now- all three classes are roughly equal in terms of squishiness and this is pretty key to the entire design of the game. Titans can take a couple more hits than Hunters or Warlocks. Warlocks and Titans both have good defensive skill options while Bladedancers have ridiculous agility (seriously -_-") and the ability to turn invisible as well as a super that grants an overshield and additional mobility. Only Gunslingers are really without any specific defensive or mobility options, but that suits their intended role fine (and Hunters should be unafraid to switch subclasses as needed even if they prefer one or the other.
I don't understand what the "Hunter" aspect of the Hunter class is other than being able to go invisible, which has really limited usefulness outside of cheesing and stealth medic.
Stealth has powerful offensive capabilities allowing you to "stalk prey" much as a hunter might do indeed. I had hopes that last week's Nightfall (with no Solar burn, no shortage of Angry Phalanxes, and the Centurions at the sand dune) would have turned more people on to this. Stealthing and getting into kissing distance to stick a grenade uncontested is pretty goddamn joyous. It's also viable as a defensive combat tactic. If things swing against you, get around a corner and crouch- as soon as Stalker kicks in aggro is broken and you can reposition while letting your shield recharge to continue the fight.
I don't give a shit about blade dancing, just allow me to be a better invisible medic, the only use of that subclass in late game PvE.
Funnily enough, using Arc Blade for medic purposes is legit- it gives you an overshield, better FoV from the third person view to see your friends, and air dash to get out of trouble if anything goes wrong.

But anyway, in terms of making them "better invisible medics" I have no clue what they would do to improve the class. If you really consider that their only use, and want to maximize it, you'll want to run with Shadowjack, Stalker, Escape Artist, and Vanish. That gives you three different ways to access stealth with an extended duration, two of which can be accessed in panic situations. Stalker's stealth with Shadowjack is absolutely luxurious, you could res two people on the other side of the room and make a cup of tea before coming visible again.

Personally I'd never go that route though, because their Stealth medic abilities are pretty damn fine as I run my build, while still allowing for other useful abilities. I would love some kind of stat on bungie.net like, "# of times you've saved a Nightfall with stealth." As "rezzing your dead party" class abilities go, Stalker is the best followed by Ward of Dawn on a corpse and Fireborn (newly rezzed Sunsingers are far from invincible, and during a Burn joy can turn to tragedy quickly if you died in the wrong spot). Both of the latter two require a full super bar.

Honestly, I'm just getting started. Didn't even touch on their eternally useful grenades especially against Hive and Fallen, the unsung heroes that are Blink and Razor's Edge, the build-defining Gunslinger skills in Chain of Woe and Gunslinger's Trance, how ridiculously good throwing knives are, backline Orb generation for Defenders and other Gunslingers...

But hey, I don't need to convince anyone. If the people want to call for Hunter buffs and elevate them to god status I can deal with that.

realcZk

You can do jump tests easy. Regardless of preference, the titan double jump moves you farther forward and faster than the Hunter triple. The Titan also has higher vertical jump. Go pick a spot and test it out. Tank class is nimble as hell in Destiny.

I like to run Control with my Titan, you can build up a TON of momentum when going down hill, or just gliding above the ground. Its fast.

Future

Hm? It kicks like a mule. I've gotten used to compensating for it and dragging my reticle back down, but when I think of sweet stability I think of Praedyth's Revenge or Patience and Time.

Yeah my bad on that. More like stability isnt a concern since you are camped so damn far back anyway since you dont need to be closer to get ammo.

While I agree that the issue isnt with the gun, its with the exploits. Since the game HAS these exploits literally every level everywhere, the gun just emphasizes a playstyle similar to shooting in a cave to win. The most boring mundane gameplay ever to win everything. I know it's players choice to do that and all that, but its Bungie's mistake for even allowing it to be an option.

every strike boss cheese spot feels like it was added intentionally. a few minutes of play testing would have made these spots obvious. ice breaker really isn't really the problem here, but it just makes it easier. if they made it so there were none of these stupid safe areas to begin with, then an ice breaker nerf wouldnt really be necessary. that and strike boss HP needs adjusting in general.

Remember when Bungie said they were going to fix that bug (strike boss HP being too high)?

Since launch we've tracked down an issue which has made Strikes more challenging than originally designed by both increasing damage taken by players and decreasing the damage inflicted by players on the boss. Expect to see this addressed soon, and for Strikes to become a little less grindy as a result (sorry, Raiders - incoming damage is working as intended in the Vault of Glass).

That was 48 days ago and there hasn't been a mention of it since.

Hoodbury

Easy enough!

8:30PM EST Normal VoG.

1) scarletham
2) hoodbury
3) spyder_ur
4) X-Frame
5)
6)

Can you put a hold on 1 of the spots? I usually run the nightfall and weekly with Fixed on Tuesday nights but since we're doing the raid tonight I asked him via pm if he wanted to join.

maomaoIYP

Ok, soloed the nightfall, with lots of help from P&T, quick sniping at the entrance and my trusty arc Culling machine gun.....my reward?
Patience & Time. *sigh* Can't really complain though.

Can you put a hold on 1 of the spots? I usually run the nightfall and weekly with Fixed on Tuesday nights but since we're doing the raid tonight I asked him via pm if he wanted to join.

No prob.

8:30PM EST Normal VoG.

1) scarletham
2) hoodbury
3) spyder_ur
4) X-Frame
5) Fixed
6)

Sweet stability? Really? Maybe my icebreaker is broken, but the last thing I'd call it is stable. It kicks like a freakin bronco.

This.

I never really realized how bad it was til I took it to PvP with people firing back at me and I was trying to get shots off fast. The recoil is so bad my guy almost does a back flip after firing it.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Speaking of confirmation biases, does anyone else feel like they get better nightfall drops in a full party compared to running solo? Any time I bring in two others for the kill, I get better rolls.

I totally agree with you here. Solo'd the Nightfall this morning on my main. Got Bad Seed Down Pulse Rifle. Is it any good?

Gonna run it again with my ALT but in a full party and if it rolls a better reward my confirmation bias will be...confirmed. :p

Alucrid

Banned

No. I've gotten Gjallarhorn and The Last Word while running solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom