• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

EL CUCO

Interesting new "feature" we ran into last night - after killing the templar, we were looting the spirit bloom chest and 3 members of our group got magically marked for negation. Obviously they never got killed as the templar was dead, but it did make navigating to the next chest a bit of a pain.

Anyone had this happen to them before?

Not sure if it's because they never got cleansed prior to Templar dying or just a bug. But yeah I have seen it happen to my teammates before.

spyder_ur

Interesting new "feature" we ran into last night - after killing the templar, we were looting the spirit bloom chest and 3 members of our group got magically marked for negation. Obviously they never got killed as the templar was dead, but it did make navigating to the next chest a bit of a pain.

Anyone had this happen to them before?

Yeah, that led to some fun, though.

void666

Banned
Haha. Nope, you are not wrong. Both the Hawkmoon and TDYK are superior PvE guns in my opinion (and it's a pretty common opinion among my player group.

TLW sits in my Hunter build's inventory because he's the only one I take into PvP. It's a really solid gun in PvP but, if you aren't into that, it's not going to do much for you.

I wish i had found gjallarhorn instead. Oh well...

I found my last word in a raid chest. Was so excited at first. Now it's just sitting in my inventory. It's not good for PVE. And i don't play PVP. I'm better using hawkmoon or TDYK.

Am i wrong gaf?

Your right.
Its not great in PVP.
I don't have Hawkmoon or Fatebringer so I use Timurs Lash in PvE.
Its much better than The Last Word.

TLW is the best primary weapon in PvP though.

Midas

We got an interesting bug where the shield got dropped randomly and returned to where it originally spawns? But there were no "death countdown", as you get if someone drops it. Maybe it's not a bug though, but I've never seen it happened earlier.

Schwabe

so possibly the best experience the last weeks in destiny - because of the fact of shitty loot for me - was yesterday a random party invite at the tower. 5 funny guys wanted me to help them with the hard raid ... me (lvl 30 warlock) was pleased and i joined, they had the gatekeeper checkpoint. i mentioned, that i have only 1h, because of a appointment for the hard raid later, they agreed.

we finished the hard raid after some strange buggy things in ~40min ... later i checked destinydb and saw the levels of the other guys. 29, 29, 28, 27, 27

:eek:

wow ... maybe it was just luck, but with my "main team" we sometimes struggle harder with four or even six 30s ... O,o
okay, Atheon was lucky too ... he was almost dead, but half of the fireteam, me included got killed. the luck was: only two guys got ported, the third killed Atheon outside with one mag corrective measure ... notbad.jpg

that experience is worthier than any exotic, - mmmh .... as long as i don't get any good stuff, i have to think at least like that -.-

SkylineRKR

I am now a chest away from 30. Finally got my second piece of raid gear to drop last night.

Also got the Found Verdict shotgun. Anyone have any thoughts on it? I hear it's very good for PvP.

I prefer Invective for the looks and sound, but FV is probably the best PvP shotgun out there. Its very stable after upgrade, final round does bonus damage, fast reload... its easy to kill with this one. And the best thing is, you can combo this one with Suros or Thunderlord, or my new favourite, Truth.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how fucking stupid and worthless the Grimoire bonuses are as well as the consumables? I have had every material bonus unlocked for ages now, and yesterday I was farming spirit bloom and I had 9, 9!!!! nodes + chests in a row that only yielded a single spirit bloom. What the fuck is the point of the bonus when it does nothing? I also noticed while popping the black wax idol during some hive waking that the grimoire boost + black wax idol is still pathetic.

I now know why they don't show XP numbers in the green circles. If we all saw the raw numbers and how pathetic the XP gains were, even with all our stacked bonuses, we'd say, "fuck this." But with it all obfuscated, we just keep grinding those bounties. Xur is my weapons telemetry pusher now. Fuck exotics, I am good on those for now (other than TLW), I just want to get these weapons leveled! I wish there was a subclass telemetry.

Another week, another raid, another ass pie with chatterwhite frosting, this is beyond ridiculous, RNG my ass, it has to be something else going on here, because the guys who are already 30 always get one or two pieces of raid armor and some weapons, the guys who have none or still need some (like me, i need the fucking gauntlets), will never get it and get shards instead, sigh, maybe i could have more luck with my alts (nope).

In other news, did one Nightfall and one weekly, the Nightall was really quick, but the weekly...what a pain in the ass, my haul, coins, some engram and even another legendary sniper, this one i´ll keep because it is from FWC and i love the colors, it has good perks too, but now i need to clean the vault and shard duplicates, fucking stupid 20 item limit...way too short, anyway, two Nightfalls to go.

More things, yesterday i had an intensive upgrade grinding sesion for my Thorn (telemetry + 6 bounties + public event across my 3 chars + woken the hive) and learned the Mark of The Devourer and almost all damage upgrades, my god, this gun is really fun now, but i must say that playing Gunslinger with Chain of Woe/Gunslinger Trance, and some gauntlets with H.C. speed reload perk is a must imho, that or maybe a Defender with Warmachine, it has to be a build for that gun, because if not, that atrocious reload speed ruins everything. I really like the gun tho, i am even thinking of doing the bounty again with my two alts (i have the bounty already with both) to have one Thorn for each character lol

Dunlop

Does upgrading the defence for an Exotic give more light?

I'm giving up juggling 2 characters as the constant swapping of resources and loading screens is starting to make me lose my sh!t

My kid's Titan that I want to focus on just hit 27, I have the helms of saint -14 that I could max out but it would deplete the 16 shards I have, I;m just not sure if leveling both legendary pieces to the highest I can without shards would let me hit 28 this way

So after not having a Legendary AR for the longest time and thinking I might have to bite the bullet and buy one with marks, I did the normal raid yesterday and got
- Atheon's Epilogue
- Monte Carlo
- Dr. Nope

RNGoddess is a fickle mistress. I think Atheon's Epilogue is probably the best of the 3?

Shito

Public service announcement.

Did 2 pe and was awarded 2 ass shards on the first one and one of each on the second one. Never got more than one before. Stealth fix? Or just really lucky
You were lucky.
I also already got one of each a few weeks back.
It's just very rare...

So after not having a Legendary AR for the longest time and thinking I might have to bite the bullet and buy one with marks, I did the normal raid yesterday and got
- Atheon's Epilogue
- Monte Carlo
- Dr. Nope

RNGoddess is a fickle mistress. I think Atheon's Epilogue is probably the best of the 3?

I'd say so. Get upgrading though because the stability upgrade on AE is a must.

Does upgrading the defence for an Exotic give more light?

I'm giving up juggling 2 characters as the constant swapping of resources and loading screens is starting to make me lose my sh!t

My kid's Titan that I want to focus on just hit 27, I have the helms of saint -14 that I could max out but it would deplete the 16 shards I have, I;m just not sure if leveling both legendary pieces to the highest I can without shards would let me hit 28 this way

"My kid's Titan..." bahaha

You then go on to tell us what YOU'RE doing with it. It's not your kid's Titan, it's clearly yours.

The addiction is real. Good stuff.

Dunlop

"My kid's Titan..." bahaha

You then go on to tell us what YOU'RE doing with it. It's not your kid's Titan, it's clearly yours.

The addiction is real. Good stuff.

; )

My kid just plays him for PVP, he's quite young and I am keeping him away from MMO mechanics lol

I'm digging the Defender but also slightly disturbed in that he seems less tanky than my Sunbreaker

; )

My kid just plays him for PVP, he's quite young and I am keeping him away from MMO mechanics lol

I'm digging the Defender but also slightly disturbed in that he seems less tanky than my Sunbreaker

Yeah, I hear you. It was just funny the way you put it.

Wait, your Defender is less tanky than your Sunsinger? Did not know that would be the case. Interesting.

Is it because of how you have them spec'd? Or are you just finding that difference in your general game play?

Ok so for the hard raid on PS4 @ Oracles (can do first chest part after completing raid).

1. Me
2. auto_aim1
3. ruthlesbarbarian
4. ruthles friend
5. ??
6. ??

Need two more! ID is in profile if you're interested.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Finally got the last piece of raid gear for my Warlock. I also got a new exotic: Hard Light.

Since the release of the game I've had problems to get ass energy. So as a result I've got only four exotics maxed: Suros Regime, Red Death, Mida Multi Tool and Vex Mythoclast.

What exotic should I level up next?

I've got
- Thorn
- The Last Word
- Ice Breaker
- Hard Light
- Invective
- Thunderlord
- Truth

I have most of those, and Ice Breaker is going to be the most useful for PvE (by far) and The Last Word is excellent for PvP, so I'd suggest spending time/Shards in that order.

I don't have Thunderlord though, I hear it's also great for PvP, but it's also dependent on Heavy Ammo drops.

There is. I got a coin yesterday and a few others recently. Not positive about motes.
Well, there was always a chance to get one of the four: Ascendant Energy, Ascendant Shard, Strange Coin, or Mote of Light. He was asking if there was a change to how these rewards were given because he got 2 materials on consecutive Public Events. I just did one on Venus (this is on a character that completed the Nightfall) and only received a single item in the Postmaster's package, a Mote of Light, so this hasn't changed.

Haybro

Is there a difference in damage output based on how far along you are to the next light level or is it based purely on the current level?

Also, #forever29 :(

At least I picked up praedyths revenge and found verdict. Though I doubt I'll give up my maxed void supremacy with double down and field scout.

Can join if you are planning to run through it soon, lvl 29 though (can be any of the 3 classes).

Ok and yeah it's fine as long as you are experienced with the hard raid.

1. Me
2. auto_aim1
3. ruthlesbarbarian
4. ruthles friend
5. Navid
6. ??

Need one more get it while it's free!

Is there a difference in damage output based on how far along you are to the next light level or is it based purely on the current level?

At least I picked up praedyths revenge and found verdict. Though I doubt I'll give up my maxed void supremacy with double down and field scout.

I think I remember someone saying it's based on actual light points, not necessarily your level number - so your damage at 29.5 would be higher than at 29. Could use some confirmation on that, though...

realcZk

It's based on the current light level. As far as I know, level progress amount has no effect on any damage calculations in the game.

I think I remember someone saying it's based on actual light points, not necessarily your level number - so your damage at 29.5 would be higher than at 29. Could use some confirmation on that, though...

I would be interested in this, would be neat if true

EDIT: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/185557/damage-increased-by-light/185923#185923 (thanks scarletham)

He says that "is that it's not your level that determines damage, but your total amount of light. This means that every time you apply a defense upgrade (which gives you a little bit of extra light), your abilities power up slightly too. Neat!"

If I'm understanding him correctly, he's referring to ability damage (grenades/super) and not gun damage, correct?

Angry Guy

Ok and yeah it's fine as long as you are experienced with the hard raid.

1. Me
2. auto_aim1
3. ruthlesbarbarian
4. ruthles friend
5. Navid
6. ??

Need one more get it while it's free!

I've got a level 30 Sunlock with Gjallarhorn and a shitload of experience, does that appeal to you? My PSN's PaperDude42.

Zakalwe

Banned
Another week, another raid, another ass pie with chatterwhite frosting, this is beyond ridiculous, RNG my ass, it has to be something else going on here, because the guys who are already 30 always get one or two pieces of raid armor and some weapons, the guys who have none or still need some (like me, i need the fucking gauntlets), will never get it and get shards instead, sigh, maybe i could have more luck with my alts (nope).

It's just RNG. RNG is always a bad idea when it's tied to character progression.

EDIT: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/185557/damage-increased-by-light/185923#185923 (thanks scarletham)

He says that "is that it's not your level that determines damage, but your total amount of light. This means that every time you apply a defense upgrade (which gives you a little bit of extra light), your abilities power up slightly too. Neat!"

If I'm understanding him correctly, he's referring to ability damage (grenades/super) and not gun damage, correct?

I think you're right, yeah.

Damage scaling occurs if the enemy is above your level (the drop off is more like 30% per level, ending up with "Immune" at 4 levels difference, when enemies become ??s), or the enemy is more than 9 level below your weapon's "internal level", when you start losing about 5% damage per level. "Internal level" seems to be defined as the weapon's level requirement until for whites and greens, but has an added bonus for blues and legendaries. My purple "requires 20" acts like it's level 27

This is interesting...
http://guidescroll.com/2014/09/destiny-light-levels-guide/

TL:DR your light levels affect BOTH your damage output and how much damage you take only UP TO the level of the mobs (i.e. if you’re lvl 28, you’ll do the same damage and take the same amount of damage from lvl 20 mobs as you would from lvl 24 mobs, there is ZERO difference)

I think someone posted a link to the loot table for the raid (both normal and hard). Does anyone still have that link? I can't seem to find it.

Edit: Never mind, found it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think you're right, yeah.
This is interesting...
http://guidescroll.com/2014/09/destiny-light-levels-guide/

First off, leveling up will not increase your gun's damage unless you're already experiencing downscaling due to being underlevelled, but it does increase ability damage (as the description says).
Interesting but also meh, it's certainly not WORTH upgrading with shards based on that bullet point alone

Also, about taking damage:

He's correct that at level 28 you take the same damage from level 20 or level 24 mobs. However, at level 27, you take more damage from either the level 20 or level 24 mobs than you would at level 28, because having reached level 28 means that somehow or another you acquired more total Defense.

You'd think with the amount of weapons I dont have, RNGesus would grant me one of those..... NOPE. 2 Nightfall runs, 2 weapons I already have. Bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom