• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone help me and my friend clear Atheon Hard?

We got there yesterday but couldn't clear it despite hours of trying.

I need about 4 people to help me.

EL CUCO

Interesting but also meh, it's certainly not WORTH upgrading with shards based on that bullet point alone

Also, about taking damage:

He's correct that at level 28 you take the same damage from level 20 or level 24 mobs. However, at level 27, you take more damage from either the level 20 or level 24 mobs than you would at level 28, because having reached level 28 means that somehow or another you acquired more total Defense.

So leveling up DOESN'T increase weapon damage? This just threw a wrench in everything I thought I knew..

Ambitious

According to Reddit, rewards for ranking up a faction include the faction gear you already have at this point. (How would you have ranked up otherwise?)
Fucking Bungie.

X-Frame

So I got a Rare Sparrow from leveling up the Vanguard rank, which is great because I was sitting on 190 marks with nothing to buy and was going to buy one.

I didn't realize upgrade faction packages gave Sparrows. I'll be upgrading that one with Xur on Friday since I only have 2 Timebreakers.

realcZk

So leveling up DOESN'T increase weapon damage? This just threw a wrench in everything I thought I knew..

If I'm understanding correctly - not against lower level mobs. If you're level 27 and you level up to 28, it won't increase your weapon damage against level 27 mobs for example. However, say you're level 29 and level up to 30 it would increase your weapon damage against 30 mobs, since as 29 you are dealing 33% less damage to one level higher.

Geneijin

And okay we were. Great smooth run, atheon killed in 3 rounds.
Got my 4th Icebreaker and 4th Preadyth's revenge.... Still no gloves or helmet.
What a great fucking group. That was the smoothest run I've ever had and we were all 29s and had 1 Gjallarhorn :lol

Thanks for the invite man. Great game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it ABSOLUTELY does- the biggest difference any stat can make in the game- against enemies at or above your level.

So like, if you're fighting level 26 enemies, the difference in weapon damage if you're level 25 versus 26 is large, 24 versus 26 is huge, 23 vs 26 is massive, and if you're more than 3 levels below an enemy you won't be able to damage it at all.

This is why being level 29 at the least for the Hard raid is so important, and why being 30 still makes a big difference. However, you don't do any more damage to something 10 levels below you versus 4 levels below you, which is why can't just oneshot level 4 captains by shooting them in the leg.

Ambitious

So I got a Rare Sparrow from leveling up the Vanguard rank, which is great because I was sitting on 190 marks with nothing to buy and was going to buy one.

I didn't realize upgrade faction packages gave Sparrows. I'll be upgrading that one with Xur on Friday since I only have 2 Timebreakers.

Man, I wish I could change the contrail color of my Timebreaker.

Mupod

I didn't realize that the nightfall buff lasted all week and increased reputation. Damn, I gotta get on that.

Is doing the raid at 26 reasonable or should I be higher for that? I can definitely get there this weekend. Still have shit weapons and no exotics but maybe Xur will be able to help me out, I've found a nice amount of strange coins in pvp.

Also feels like I'm still a million years from unlocking fireborn, I guess that's the problem when you play different subclasses in pve/pvp. Don't really want to do hard stuff without that since people will probably assume I can self rez.

EL CUCO

If I'm understanding correctly - not against lower level mobs. If you're level 27 and you level up to 28, it won't increase your weapon damage against level 27 mobs for example. However, say you're level 29 and level up to 30 it would increase your weapon damage against 30 mobs, since as 29 you are dealing 33% less damage to one level higher.

it ABSOLUTELY does- the biggest difference any stat can make in the game- against enemies at or above your level.
So like, if you're fighting level 26 enemies, the difference in weapon damage if you're level 25 versus 26 is large, 24 versus 26 is huge, 23 vs 26 is massive, and if you're more than 3 levels below an enemy you won't be able to damage it at all.

This is why being level 29 at the least for the Hard raid is so important, and why being 30 still makes a big difference. However, you don't do any more damage to something 10 levels below you versus 4 levels below you, which is why can't just oneshot level 4 captains by shooting them in the leg.

Ahhh ok. I understand now, in reference to lower mobs. Thanks!

Got it - that makes sense.

Shawn128

Anyone looking to do a normal raid run?

Level 28 Sunbro with the whole morning free - PSN: Shawn128, I'll be on PS4 playing random games if anyone wants to send invite and get a game going.

I didn't realize that the nightfall buff lasted all week and increased reputation. Damn, I gotta get on that.

Is doing the raid at 26 reasonable or should I be higher for that? I can definitely get there this weekend. Still have shit weapons and no exotics but maybe Xur will be able to help me out, I've found a nice amount of strange coins in pvp.

Also feels like I'm still a million years from unlocking fireborn, I guess that's the problem when you play different subclasses in pve/pvp. Don't really want to do hard stuff without that since people will probably assume I can self rez.

Yup this is why I always make it a must, to beat the nightfall event first thing after the reset.

Is doing the raid at 26 reasonable or should I be higher for that? I can definitely get there this weekend. Still have shit weapons and no exotics but maybe Xur will be able to help me out, I've found a nice amount of strange coins in pvp..

The lowest I've done the raid with is a 27. Some might groan about it, but I think it would be doable if you have a good group. You might get one shot by hobgoblins though?

Cømet

Banned
Killed by the architects- probably came off the sparrow at too high a speed and got melee'd by the environment.

Same bullshit Halo had, except it was funnier there than it is here.

I'm shifting focus to my Titan, hoping to get it up to 28 to make normal raid easier. I have an armamentarium I'm going to eventually use, but I want to switch to a helm until I get to 30. I have a helm of inmost light, is that worth maxing or should I wait for a different helm to show up at Xur's?

Lima

The lowest I've done the raid with is a 27. Some might groan about it, but I think it would be doable if you have a good group. You might get one shot by hobgoblins though?

Nah. At 27 you don't get one shot by Hobgoblins. I did the easy raid at both 26 and even at 25 once and it's more than fine.

Hell even the hard raid is fine at 28.

Mupod

I see. 27 might be doable too, if I crucible like crazy and get to rank 2 there - I'm just past rank 1 but I have some half-finished bounties. I'm lacking in upgrade materials though.

Shito

Yeah, getting off your sparrow at that speed is reaaaally playing with fire.
I've had a few stupid deaths in patrol (resetting my "without dying" bounties each time) when getting too cocky with the sparrow, and ending up ejecting myself to a pit.
I would never try that during a nightfall. Heck, I already don't even try passing by those minotaurs like that! ^^

EL CUCO

Nah. At 27 you don't get one shot by Hobgoblins. I did the easy raid at both 26 and even at 25 once and it's more than fine.

Sure...if you're in a group of 30's. Try holding the Relic at 28.

Jinjo

Man today is a day of doubles. Got my second Multi-tool and my second Mythoclast today. Already had three Gjallarhorns. Got a second Saint-14 and Knucklehead helmet too earlier this week. Gimme something I don't have yet game, even if it is a Hard Light or something pls. I want new toys.

Edit: I gotta say, after an exotic dry spell for weeks it is nice to atleast get something again though.

Steroyd

Sure...if you're in a group of 30's. Try holding the Relic at 28.

Or 29 even.

I now never hold the relic with my 29 alts because my hulk slam doesn't oneshot, which makes a massive difference in survival, I run straight to assist the adds below until the relic holder gives the clear sign.

EL CUCO

Or 29 even.

I now never hold the relic with my 29 alts because my hulk slam doesn't oneshot, which makes a massive difference in survival, I run straight to assist the adds below until the relic holder gives the clear sign.

Yup. As a 29 regular Relic holder in most Hard Raids, I can confirm. You have to run it super clean.

Jinjo

Just had the cleanest Atheon hard run ever btw. We did it first try, within three teleports. Not a single death. Nice going guys.

Gjallahorn is very good, but it can be subbed. There's nothing in the game you /need/ it for.

TLW on the other hand offers an entirely unique experience, especially if you like pvp.

Hope Xur sells both at some point, though.

True for pvp. And obviously you don't need GH to beat hard, flawless, or anything else. But you do need it to maximize DPS. Illum. WoL + maxed GH is Atheon DPS king by a mile, even though other weapons can still be great. IBreaker crit shots with I-WoL do huge damage but are hard to pull off every time when Atheon starts doing his drunken strut move.

As a man with 3 GHs, it's by far my most desired Xur item. So that I can get a team of 6 Lv30s to set a new hard Atheon kill speed record, haha.

Btw, if anyone on PS4 wants to explore the Terminus DLC area on Venus, feel free to join on me now (PSN: DrDrizzay101). I finally made it up here, trying to look for those 3 dead ghosts...

Edit: So the dead ghosts here do increase both your grimoire score and the number of "dead ghosts found" on your grimoire card. Probably count towards that trophy too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Had tons of connection issues last night. Apparently it's a FIOS thing. Couldn't even play. Might just hang up my weapons until December.

CLBridges

If any group needs one for normal or hard raid, PSN: GhostFaceDon. Think I'm gonna level my Titan a bit today, already have an exotic helm and legendary boots/chest/arms sitting in the vault. I know Defender is in high demand, but I'm leveling Striker mostly for PVP.

breakfuss

lol, you setting people up.

So glad I finally got the final piece of raid armor yesterday. No longer have to worry about this sort of thing.

zewone

Cømet

Banned
I'm shifting focus to my Titan, hoping to get it up to 28 to make normal raid easier. I have an armamentarium I'm going to eventually use, but I want to switch to a helm until I get to 30. I have a helm of inmost light, is that worth maxing or should I wait for a different helm to show up at Xur's?

It's okay, but really you want Helm of Saint-14. The blinding bubble is invaluable against lvl 30 Praetorians.

realcZk

Cømet;138528895 said:
It's okay, but really you want Helm of Saint-14. The blinding bubble is invaluable against lvl 30 Praetorians.

I have both, and both are pretty equally good against Praetorians. Defender sticky grenades cause Praetorians to stop moving and curl up for a few seconds (now you got 2!), enough to drop them usually. Bubble's more useful for slowing down entire enemy spawn points if you're getting overrun and buying your team some time. I love both of these exotics.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hate to say it but it's kinda their fault for hopping off their sparrow mid-jump haha
I've died like that before too :X

it's like the opposite of summoning your sparrow, which I've done 20 feet in the air and landed without a scratch

Cømet;138528895 said:

That's the one I wanted. I'll hold off until Xur comes. Maybe I'll get it on a NF run.

LordofPwn

Last night from Nightfall I got:

Thunderlord
A legendary solar shotgun with good pve perks
And my 2nd Icebreaker.

I'm fine with duplicates of icebreaker, G'Horn, and just about any raid weapon or Swarm HMG.

I now expect to get nothing but materials from Raids and next week's nightfall.

Cømet

Banned
I have both, and both are pretty equally good against Praetorians. Defender sticky grenades cause Praetorians to stop moving and curl up for a few seconds (now you got 2!), enough to drop them usually. Bubble's more useful for slowing down entire enemy spawn points if you're getting overrun and buying your team some time. I love both of these exotics.

Very true, and in fact more or less the strategy I used as I don't have helm of Saint-14 (or Armamentarium for that matter ;p)- sticky grenade and plenty of bullets. You can't go wrong with either, but unless you luck out on a raid helmet early on I think using Saint-14 and being 30 is better than 29 and double grenades.

That's the one I wanted. I'll hold off until Xur comes. Maybe I'll get it on a NF run.

I always feel a fool for not buying it when it was in stock :/ Oh well, level 30 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom