• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milennia

In defense of raiding hunters: I consider Gunslinger to be the second best subclass for flawless attempts. Triple jump is great for the jumping section and golden gun is excellent for supplicant control, while also nice for quickly downing oracles/adds in the portals. So that's something.

rip warlock, my titan will be ready for crotas end

Sullichin

Leveling an alt is the worst! It's easy to see how reviewers got such a bad first impression of this game if you focus on the story missions. You really do just go to the same places over and over and take a different turn here and there if you do things "in order". I didn't do things in order on my main character (I knew better since the alpha/ beta), and didn't even finish the story until the last mission happened to be a daily. I was probably level 25.

LordofPwn

Also tried the Mida Tool in PvE and I think I like it more than my Vision of Confluence, can't explain why, but it feels like there's more ooomph in every shot.

Wut?... i mean to each there own but the MIDA is not worth an exotic slot if you have the VoC imo.

blazeuk

Just slowly made my way through Nightfall with my level 26 character only to get killed at the very end...so so frustrating. Guess I won't be trying that again unless I have a team to carry me through it.

SharkJAW

Leveling an alt is the worst! It's easy to see how reviewers got such a bad first impression of this game if you focus on the story missions. You really do just go to the same places over and over and take a different turn here and there if you do things "in order". I didn't do things in order on my main character (I knew better since the alpha/ beta), and didn't even finish the story until the last mission happened to be a daily. I was probably level 25.
Yup. I've gone from 1-20 four times and it is just dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

The worst part is how every mission is you waiting for your ghost to decode something. That seems unbelievable lazy to me

EL CUCO

Golden gun works well against everything, not just Supplicants. Sure, it can take 4 shots to take down a Minotaur/Praetorian, but it's still more useful than a Sunsinger saving their super for when they inevitably die.

As much as I like to knock on Hunters, I agree with this.

Ambitious

Just got the exotic bounty for he bad juju. How much stuff do I gotta do?

1. Complete a weekly Heroic or Nightfall Strike to obtain Toland's Journal [Fragmented].
    (Note: This step can be completed by completing a strike in the Tiger Strike Playlist.)
  2. Bring the journal to Ikora Rey to obtain Toland's Journal [Fragmented].
  3. Complete 25 additional strikes to obtain Toland's Journal [Encrypted].
  4. Bring the journal to Ikora Rey to obtain Toland's Journal [Decrypted].
  5. Bring the journal to the Gunsmith to obtain Black Market Coupon.
  6. Bring the coupon to Xûr to obtain Darkness-infused weapon frame (requires 1 Strange Coin).
  7. Bring the weapon frame to the Gunsmith to obtain Darkness-infused Pulse Rifle.
  8. Obtain 10,000 points in the Crucible to obtain Sated Pulse Rifle. A Titan or Hunter kill or assist is worth 25 points, and a Warlock kill or assist is worth 75 Points.
  9. Return the weapon to the Gunsmith to finally obtain Bad Juju.

From here

Sullichin

Yup. I've gone from 1-20 four times and it is just dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

The worst part is how every mission is you waiting for your ghost to decode something. That seems unbelievable lazy to me
At least I have full legendary / exotic armor waiting for this character when I finally get to 20. But holy shit, things really slowed down around level 10.

Keeping my own in Crucible though with a level 10 character and a common handgun. All things considered I think Crucible is balanced pretty well. Of course I miss my abilities and Thorn, but I can still 3 shot with a shitty handcannon and that's enough to get by.

"This could take some time..."

... yeah, we know dick. It always does.

Maybe we just got a really shitty ghost. Maybe at some point you'll be able to upgrade ghosts to one that doesn't spend all of its time hacking into shit and telling you how it's so difficult and will take about three waves worth of enemies to complete.

Oh, and the little shit is always causing breaches to happen and doors to open that lead us to have to defend it. Dude, just undo whatever you just did and close the door so we can have some piece and quiet while you do you thing.

The Guardian Outfitter is one of the most useless vendors. A really nice reminder that Bungie can't even fix a simple stock refresh for shaders.

I don't think the shaders they have for sale are supposed to refresh, just the emblems. So I guess there isn't any fix needed in that respect. Still, at least change up the shaders once in a while Bungie!

Milennia

1. Complete a weekly Heroic or Nightfall Strike to obtain Toland's Journal [Fragmented].
    (Note: This step can be completed by completing a strike in the Tiger Strike Playlist.)
  2. Bring the journal to Ikora Rey to obtain Toland's Journal [Fragmented].
  3. Complete 25 additional strikes to obtain Toland's Journal [Encrypted].
  4. Bring the journal to Ikora Rey to obtain Toland's Journal [Decrypted].
  5. Bring the journal to the Gunsmith to obtain Black Market Coupon.
  6. Bring the coupon to Xûr to obtain Darkness-infused weapon frame (requires 1 Strange Coin).
  7. Bring the weapon frame to the Gunsmith to obtain Darkness-infused Pulse Rifle.
  8. Obtain 10,000 points in the Crucible to obtain Sated Pulse Rifle. A Titan or Hunter kill or assist is worth 25 points, and a Warlock kill or assist is worth 75 Points.
  9. Return the weapon to the Gunsmith to finally obtain Bad Juju.

From here

i ended up doing all this stuff through normal play without any focus

rip warlock, my titan will be ready for crotas end

Golden gun works well against everything, not just Supplicants. Sure, it can take 4 shots to take down a Minotaur/Praetorian, but it's still more useful than a Sunsinger saving their super for when they inevitably die.

Haha yeah, sunsinger definitely takes a tumble when going from hard to flawless. GG is nice all over for normal Atheon, it's just that T's V makes it really useful for supplicants whereas its value inside a portal can be easily replaced by heavy ammo/raid weapons. Still really good though, for sure.

Oh come on, man... bladedancing those supplicants is money. MONEY BABY.

No, not really

BDancers can... cloak... which helps for grabbing the GKeeper relics... I guess... or something... Alright, they suck in the raid. But to be fair, Striker and Void Walker are pretty craptastic in the raid relative to their other subclass.

spyder_ur

It feels like it could be made much more bearable with two simple changes: Skippable cutscenes and allowing marks to be used to buy gear for other classes.

Skippable cutscenes is just obvious and I'm legit shocked it wasn't in the game and/or hasn't been added yet. Maybe my biggest pet peeve.

The other is the freaking rep grind. It takes multiple days to reasonably get the 3500 rep to get to level 2. The factions make it easier, but it is really brutal, especially since you don't even earn rep until you're, what, 18 or 20? I'm sitting on 100 or so Vanguard marks on my alt, but I need 1900 more Vanguard rep to even spend them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

No, not really
Now you have me all curious as to how effective Razor's Edge is on them.
as far as order, going through with my Titan doing ONLY the main/"Laurel Wreath" missions, it at least goes pretty quick. I'm leaving the remaining side missions for leveling subclasses/weapons after beating the "story". trying to play through every single mission in order a second time would be excruciating to be sure

as far as the 1-20 leveling process itself, I've actually enjoyed it on all three characters :X Did a combination of story missions, bounties, strikes, patrol beacon/mat runs, and Crucible, keep mixing it up frequently. I like feeling of unlocking a new class ability and the UI effect when you level up :3

I didn't rush any of them or try to get to 20 in one night or anything like that though. Just a few levels a day

edit: cutscenes must be skippable
BDancers can... cloak... which helps for grabbing the GKeeper relics... I guess... or something... Alright, they suck in the raid. But to be fair, Striker and Void Walker are pretty craptastic in the raid relative to their other subclass.
yeah they are the best for soloing a gatekeeper portal with stealth, and you can dance past the jumping puzzle if your super is up. I switch subclasses after the Templar and then back to gunslinger at Atheon. I like it

LordofPwn

Haha yeah, sunsinger definitely takes a tumble when going from hard to flawless. GG is nice all over for normal Atheon, it's just that T's V makes it really useful for supplicants whereas its value inside a portal can be easily replaced by heavy ammo/raid weapons. Still really good though, for sure.

they can stealth grab relic and blade dance across the jumping puzzle. multi-talented that bunch is.

I actually think Voidwalker is better. Sunsinger is a crutch and good for cheesing. That's it.

spyder_ur

I actually think Voidwalker is better. Sunsinger is a crutch and good for cheesing. That's it.

I usually rock Sunsinger on any high-level mission just because of the revive, but yeah it kind of stinks because mentally I get in the mindset of saving it. It's tough to get out of that mindset.

Shito

"This could take some time..."

... yeah, we know dick. It always does.

Maybe we just got a really shitty ghost. Maybe at some point you'll be able to upgrade ghosts to one that doesn't spend all of its time hacking into shit and telling you how it's so difficult and will take about three waves worth of enemies to complete.

Oh, and the little shit is always causing breaches to happen and doors to open that lead us to have to defend it. Dude, just undo whatever you just did and close the door so we can have some piece and quiet while you do you thing.
I like the "theory" I've read once on gaf: dinklebot *is* the one alerting the fallen / vex / cabal.
Plot twist!

SharkJAW

Stick exclusively with PvP when levelling alts. It's faster if you're half decent and much more tolerable.
Yeah, I learned my lesson after the first time. I focused on PvP, afterwards. 1800xp per match for something orders of magnitude more dynamic than the story is obviously the better proposition. Even then, it takes a LOT of PvP to hit 20, but that's where the bounties come in. I think the main issue is finding a half decent weapon. I used the starting AR up until I got a bearable HC, but, being used to level 20+ gear, all lower level gear completely sucks. Period.

Milennia

if you have praxic fire and use radiant skin its a great oh shit button without dying

if you have praxic fire and use song its decent utility and good offense

i prefer void walker but haven't had a need to use it as i always have heavy ammo and would rather swap to that for a quick second then blowing my super.

also 2 grenades are nice for some extra path blocking and crowd control.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Guys I just made my 3rd character to lvl 20, put some gear and I instantly reached lvl 25.
Can someone carry me with the nightfall? I'd be grateful.

PSN: Jssom

LiK

if you have praxic fire and use radiant skin its a great oh shit button without dying

i prefer void walker but haven't had a need to use it as i always have heavy ammo and would rather swap to that for a quick second.

No one has Praxic. It's impossible to get.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
they can stealth grab relic and blade dance across the jumping puzzle. multi-talented that bunch is.
lol, Hunters in general should switch subclass frequently. quite a few tricks in the bag if you are maxed in both as all serious hunters should be.
Hmm, interesting. Never thought about that. Might screw around in a normal raid tonight on my hunter. If my group is cool with it (because I will most likely wipe), I'll try it out.
Just try it out from on top of the sync plate platform where they can't hurt you anyway, if the wave travels down it could actually be fairly effective, plus you're shielded if one does go boom. Still probably not so useful as GG but I'm certainly curious.
I usually rock Sunsinger on any high-level mission just because of the revive, but yeah it kind of stinks because mentally I get in the mindset of saving it. It's tough to get out of that mindset.
Yeah, this is one reason I'm really really interested in Apotheosis Veil, Fireborn is a complete waste of its special effect so it's a good excuse to grab Radiant Skin instead. It's important to remember you can always use Radiance when it will help out, but like you said it's easy to get stuck in the mindset of saving it, and it's glorious when it saves an entire run.

In PvP I'm torn, spending about 50-50 between Fireborn and Radiant Skin when using Praxic Fire. Skin actually makes me more effective almost certainly, but it's so satisfying to come back to life and instagib someone who just shotgunned me and starts dancing...

When I hear "supplicants," all I can think of is:

"During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"

Bizazedo

Hopefully you won't have to wait till you're level 10+ to get it
Level 12 Dead Orbit. Stopped to go do some New Monarchy for a bit as I was getting pissed. Only have Bittersteel, not the other two so far.

But those magnetic grenades! Even better with Armaterrarium.
Lightning grenades are better.

Stick exclusively with PvP when levelling alts. It's faster if you're half decent and much more tolerable.

I saved a level 14 Shingen-E specifically for this. It hurts so much getting to the point where we can use better weapons, though, now that everyone is loaded.

SharkJAW

Hawkian, dat radiant skin. At least you could treat it like a bladedancer would, with that added invulnerability. Then, hit someone with a Scorch for dat flame shield and you might as well be invincible.

Greenymac

No, not really

Hey dude missed you yesterday. Did you ever get a hard run in? I maybe looking for a group to start around 6:30 eastern, but I really only want experienced raiders who know what they are doing and can blow through it. Interested?

breakfuss

Wut?... i mean to each there own but the MIDA is not worth an exotic slot if you have the VoC imo.

K. I've mentioned this a few times, and I'm not trying to be funny...why do people like VoC? Perhaps I'm using it incorrectly and need to place some distance in between me and my target? The thing is suuuper slow and takes at least 4 shots to put someone down. I thought the auto perk would improve this but nope. Sure, I do decent damage but more often than not my opponent takes me out first. Hand cannons, shotguns, fusion rifles and ARs just seem better suited for PvP, IMO. Everyone swears by it, though.

Sullichin

i prefer void walker but haven't had a need to use it as i always have heavy ammo and would rather swap to that for a quick second then blowing my super.

also 2 grenades are nice for some extra path blocking and crowd control.

I usually go voidwalker in PVP and Sunsinger in PVE. Sunsinger is amazing in Crucible as well, flame shield is so damm good and it's fun to spam the grenades. But, for Thorn I like to use surge / energy drain to get the faster reload, and axion bolts complement Thorn really nicely as well.

Bizazedo

K. I've mentioned this a few times, and I'm not trying to be funny...why do people like VoC? Perhaps I'm using it incorrectly and need to place some distance in between me and my target? The thing is suuuper slow and takes at least 4 shots to put someone down. I thought the auto perk would improve this but nope. Sure, I do decent damage but more often than not my opponent takes me out first. Hand cannons, shotguns, fusion rifles and ARs just seem better suited for PvP, IMO. Everyone swears by it, though.
This. Put some distance between you. If auto fire wasn't bugged, it'd be my go-to weapon on Shores of Time / Rusted / First Light / Bastion.

You just have to remember you have it so you don't run in to close range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom