• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT10| Working as Intended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinjo

A brief recap of my last week or so in Destiny.

1. Give up on Gjallerhorn and buy the Truth from Xur

2. The next day I solo the nightfall hoping for the Last Word and get Gjallerhorn.

3. The next day I run through the raid hoping for boots or gloves and get my 2nd Vision of Confluence and my 2nd Gjallerhorn.

God damn it.

I see your two Gjallarhorn and I raise you by one.

I also got my second Mythoclast AND Multi-Tool yesterday. Pls gimme new toys game, anything.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm thinking about doing it since I already have a maxed out one for ages. And I feel it's not as useful as my other exotics (IB and Suros).

Not as useful as Regime? Gjallahorn is the best boss killer in the game! I wish Everyone had one.

Well, I have been holding back because everybody seems to be in love the Ghorn; but I really don't think it's as useful as everybody made it sound to be. In the hard raid I typically use the IB to sniper the gatekeepers and leave the praetorians to a good leveled-up void machine gun. They got the job done pretty nicely and I never feel the need of popping the Ghorn out. Of course it's also because I always lose my rocket ammo after a few wipe which makes any launcher much less useful...

The loss of ammo bug is the only thing (potentially) holding it back. Otherwise it deserves all the hype it gets.

Jinjo

Well, I have been holding back because everybody seems to be in love the Ghorn; but I really don't think it's as useful as everybody made it sound to be. In the hard raid I typically use the IB to sniper the gatekeepers and leave the praetorians to a good leveled-up void machine gun. They got the job done pretty nicely and I never feel the need of popping the Ghorn out. Of course it's also because I always lose my rocket ammo after a few wipe which makes any launcher much less useful...

It can literally clear out an entire side on the conflux phase of enemies. One side in trouble? Blindfire a Ballerrocket that way and it relieves the situation A LOT. Plus, a Gjallarhorn carrier can basicly solo a Gatekeeper gate. Even when tagged in the void. Not even mentioning the boss burning or oracle one-shots.

raindoc

They said all the changes are on their end so we won't see anything new. Something about getting ready for the upcoming updates they've promised.

speaking of which - they said they'll boost the Mythoclast's Attack-level beyond 300.
Any guesstimations?

Pickman

Let’s take this time of maintenance to share our tinfoil hat theories!

The races following in the wake of the Darkness were once all homes to the Traveler, which then abandoned them in their time of need to save itself.

The Fallen were living in clans and fighting over resources, separate from one another and occasionally warring at the time the Traveler arrived. He united them to a greater purpose, allowing the Fallen to ascend to the stars where their needs could be fulfilled. They lived in peace for a long time until the Darkness came. The Traveler abandoned them, and the Fallen fell back into a system that while old-fashioned, was not forgotten. They banded together, forming their Houses, and though their world was destroyed by the Darkness, they followed in its wake to pursue the Traveler who had abandoned them and to claim a new home.

The Hive were a great people once with a caste-driven culture of nobility. Something dire happened and their whole world died, left ruined by a star's rage, or a plague, or worse. When the Traveler arrived it was a graveyard, but its energy brought the dead back to life, the Light reviving the dead culture and letting it rise again, more powerful than before. When the Darkness came, the Traveler abandoned these people it had rescued from death, and decay began to set in again. Fading fast, the Hive found a way to harden themselves against death with the power of the Darkness itself, draining the Light and sustaining their lives. They follow the Traveler now like carrion birds waiting for a bull elephant to die, hungry for the Light they can strip from its corpse.

The Cabal lived on a planet where there had once been an incredible, world-spanning war with an absolute and tyrannical leader. Entire generations had grown up in the military regime, and when there were finally no people left to fight, they grew stagnant. They stopped advancing as a culture, explaining why among the races they still rely on chemical reactions with gunpowder and rockets to attack instead of the laser weapons and energy wielded by the other races. The Traveler brought them purpose, inspiring them to reach beyond their globe and explore the stars around them, shrugging off their militaristic ways for a time. When it fled the Darkness, the Cabal was reintroduced to bloody conflict and once more took up the mantle of warlords. They used their new technology to reach out to the stars, and follow the Darkness in order to attain glory with new conquest.

The Vex are perhaps the strangest race, but kind of make sense in a way. Here's where my speculation gets (even more) stretched. Vader is Luke's father. The humans of the golden age created Warminds, great thinking machines that would, without doubt, be able to outlast the lifespan of something like the human race. Eventually the Traveler fled Earth as well, abandoning humans and leaving them to die. The Warmind survived, having been around for so long and absorbing so much data from the Traveler that it was able to enhance and imbue itself with the ability to project itself in a quantum state forward and back in time. Building a more and more advanced quantum array, it consumed the material left behind from mankind's fall and expanded to absorb the resources of the planet itself until in the immensely distant future, the Warminds merged to become the Minds of the Vex at the Black Garden, and in their understanding of time travel and the theory of the multiverse, they began to expand. Each time they found a version of themselves more powerful than the prior in another universe, they became supplicants. They merged their hive mind with its own, and in doing so expanded the network exponentially. With this endless loop established, the Vex finally establish enough computational energy to consume the Traveler in one of these multiverses, breaking down the space magic and energetic potential of it to form the Heart of the black garden. The humans are fighting a Warmind collective from an alternate universe where the Traveler chose to abandon the Earth.

There's no telling how long the previous falls of races took, or when the Traveler chose to abandon them. It may have been wounded grievously as it is now before it abandoned each of the races left in its wake. In time the Traveler may abandon Earth as well, and we'll just become another bitter race hunting it for revenge at bringing us back from restful death to fight a war for it.

lunlunqq

Not as useful as Regime? Gjallahorn is the best boss killer in the game! I wish Everyone had one.

Suro is my most reliable oracle killing weapon. Since RNGesus hates me so much, I have yet to find any raid primary weapons (I'm already lvl 30)... I had 6 raid weapon drops: the sniper and the shotgun, 3 times each... Sometimes I wonder what did I do to piss off RNGesus this much?

Everyone has thier own opinions. Yeah I can see what you mean by using ice breakers and a void MG. I guess what makes ghorn awesome is the amount of dps it can do.

realcZk

I hope Xur brings the ballerhorn this week but I know he'll have the universal remote and <insert random exotic that has a lame grenade augmentation here>. Prove me wrong RNGesus. My heart is growing dark and cold.

SkylineRKR

I hope Xur brings the ballerhorn this week but I know he'll have the universal remote and <insert random exotic that has a lame grenade augmentation here>. Prove me wrong RNGesus.

Pretty sure its either Remote, Hard Light or MIDA.

I just think Xur is not going to offer the top wanted weapons, and the most game breaking ones. Suros was offered twice, but I feel its not game breakingly op. And its only really useful in PvP anyway.

blackflag

You're doing it wrong.

Deku Tree

brilliant, thank you, so glad it was not a perception trick. That explains my whole "I know I oneshot one with Golden Gun" experience too.

Okay, so that being known, Oracles are completely doable. this message is sort of meant for my group but is good info for all... our limiting factors were:

• 29s (including myself) getting oneshot by hobgoblins/being unable to oneshot hobgoblins with the relic
  • The Green side Minotaur pissing in everyone's cereal

Adaptations we should all make for next time:
  • As soon as you are teleported, either side, all three player throw their grenades down at the mobs there. On Mars/Red/Past/Left, the Relic holder can then grab the relic and catch their breath a second if the hobgoblin shields were triggered- there's no immediate threat to the Oracle killers like there is from the Minotaur on Venus/Green/Future/Right. On V/G/F/R, obviously, the Relic holder needs to go on to murder the Minotaur to the best of his ability
  • On Right/Green/Venus side, ONE person needs to continue helping the relic holder with the Minotaur, other person needs to immediately concentrate on Oracles after throwing their grenades. We'll have to call it as soon as we're ported, just after someone calls grabbing the relic, a second person will go "I'm helping with the minotaur, you get Oracles."

With these two tweaks our existing strategy would have worked more than fine. I'm still debating whether or not my loadout was ideal as a 29- might try Pocket Infinity for a round or two and see how it goes.

We also usually send a fourth into the portal on hard to help with the oracles. It shouldn't take more than two to clear out the supplicants.

realcZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKEaGBHVW4

Atheon in 17 seconds on hard with only 4 ballerhorns

SkylineRKR

He did the second week into the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie silently removed it :)

I know, just like he sold IB after the 5th week or so. But I doubt this will happen again seeing how ridiculously useful they are in the most difficult PvE content. The lack of Solar Burn is sort of suspicious too. My Mythoclast and Pocket are waiting for ages now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm never the relic guy but always always shoot a rocket on Venus as soon as we're teleported. It rocks the shield off the Minotaur and I can have my AE ready and pointing at the Oracle in time for its spawn.
Yes, that's definitely a solid approach. The Rocket is more valuable there than fired into Atheon. I had come to this determination after a few wipes as well and was ready to fuck his shit up with the Horn.

Result:
AnchoredGenuineAuk.gif

:(

But yeah, I'll try again next time I'm ported in there, I can get that rocket to the ground quicker. I always forget it homes in even if you don't aim.
You should always use R2 on the ground to finish enemies off. It's a heavier melee attack and better than the R1 imo. I only use the R1 melee when in the air to gain speed/to be erratic as possible. The rest is all R2.
Ground R2 is a short dash & bash that staggers. In my experience, it's faster than jumping up and air smashing again. After that first smash I decide what I need to do more. If I have breathing room, jump->R2, if not or if he's really weak, ground R2.
Damn. No kidding, I didn't think that hitting R2 on the ground did anything at all. I wonder what I've been doing wrong -_-
The rocket ammo glitch is something that affects every launcher and has nothing to do with Gjallarhorn. Ice Breaker is a fine choice for the Gatekeepers but even as a 29 two Gjallarhorn rockets got him down to <25% without any other damage I feel very confident in my ability to solo either Gatekeeper on Normal with it at this point, and at 30 I'm certain I'd be able to on Hard as well. Finally in terms of raw damage to Atheon when everything IS going to plan, nothing beats it.

Does it stack with Nightfall bonus?
Yup. I do the Nightfall on all 3 characters first thing on Tuesday because it stacks under everything. I've been buying as much telemetry as I can so I have a diverse set. I load up a character with three weapons I want to level, 2 Legendaries and an Exotic, I complete 5 bounties, preferably 5000s, and then turn on the 2 or 3 appropriate telemetries (I believe Fusion Rifle and Shotgun Telemetry apply to Vex Mythoclast and Universal Remote, respectively). 25,000 XP * 1.25 Nightfall * 1.1 Telemetry = 35,750 XP applied to each weapon.

Sullichin

I am going to be irrationally furious if Xur doesn't have The Last Word tomorrow. I will also accept 'Horn but don't care as much about that. For the insane amount of time I've played the game it's..starting.. to become a little infuriating I don't have TLW/Hawkmoon.
I have 50 coins, give me something good Xur!

SkylineRKR

Yup. I do the Nightfall on all 3 characters first thing on Tuesday because it stacks under everything. I've been buying as much telemetry as I can so I have a diverse set. I load up a character with three weapons I want to level, 2 Legendaries and an Exotic, I complete 5 bounties, preferably 5000s, and then turn on the 2 or 3 appropriate telemetries (I believe Fusion Rifle and Shotgun Telemetry apply to Vex Mythoclast and Universal Remote, respectively). 25,000 XP * 1.25 Nightfall * 1.1 Telemetry = 35,750 XP applied to each weapon.

Turn in a public event package too. Its 5k on top of it. Can be stacked also.

raindoc

Let’s take this time of maintenance to share our tinfoil hat theories!

The races following in the wake of the Darkness were once all homes to the Traveler, which then abandoned them in their time of need to save itself.
The Vex
are future humans. First we built the Exos out of our desire to life forever (it's somewhere in the grimoire), but that didn't work, so we came up with organic mind-cores.

^maxed out tinfoil hat right there, only thing I'm relatively sure is that
there was no golden age. looking around the Cosmodrome I see nothing that hints at a civilization that was technologically superior to the guys living in the tower.

Mupod

I'm looking forward to finally being able to get an exotic weapon, assuming Xur has something decent. Still using blues except for my rocket launcher - which is actually pretty nice. It's The Cure, holds 2 rounds at once and tracks targets.

lunlunqq

this further proves that in order to find a gjallarhorn in-game you must already own a gjallarhorn

Yup. You not only need to own it already, but also need to be in the mental state of NOT liking it that much. Only then RNGesus will drop several of those on your laps. Try practicing self-hypnosis. Tell yourself repeatedly: "I don't like the Ghorn. I don't need the Ghorn!"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Turned off ps4 completely. Still getting Destiny servers are down message. Goddamit.
Aren't the servers, you know, actually down?
I'm looking forward to finally being able to get an exotic weapon, assuming Xur has something decent. Still using blues except for my rocket launcher - which is actually pretty nice. It's The Cure, holds 2 rounds at once and tracks targets.
If you're anyting like me you'll remember your first exotic and cherish it fondly

This was mine
it's decent.

SkylineRKR

I had 2 Cures and it had only one rocket, so I dismantled.

But one with 2 rockets and tracking is golden. I've used an Exodus Plan with those for very long (which could even reload to 3 rockets). Heavy Payload would be the icing on those RL.

Cømet

Banned
It hurts me because I can see Zakalwe in Crucible through PSN, but I can't get into the game :(

Won't be able to play again tonight now, servers come back up whilst I'm working. Bah.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
people don't realize that fusion rifles are beasts with oracles, i use light beware and its usually two to three charged shots to take them down. on hard
I realize it. I'm thinking Pocket Infinity has a lot of unexplored utility in the raid. The thing chews up Praetorians as well. Hmmmmmmrmmm.

Yup. You not only need to own it already, but also need to be in the mental state of NOT liking it that much. Only then RNGesus will drop several of those on your laps. Try practicing self-hypnosis. Tell yourself repeatedly: "I don't like the Ghorn. I don't need the Ghorn!"

yep I know what you mean. Back when I was 29, every time when I bough an exotic gear, I would get the raid equivalent after I lvl it up.

Zakalwe

Banned
Suro is my most reliable oracle killing weapon. Since RNGesus hates me so much, I have yet to find any raid primary weapons (I'm already lvl 30)... I had 6 raid weapon drops: the sniper and the shotgun, 3 times each... Sometimes I wonder what did I do to piss off RNGesus this much?

Ah, well then. Hope you get a VoC or Epilogue soon.

Cømet;138700525 said:
It hurts me because I can see Zakalwe in Crucible through PSN, but I can't get into the game :(

Won't be able to play again tonight now, servers come back up whilst I'm working. Bah.

Must be bugged man, I was kicked out with everyone else. :(

Pretty much the same happened for me this week. Got The Last Word on Tuesday night in a Nightfall and tried it out in the crucible last night and went 31-6 or something like that my first match. Best I've ever done. Damn thing is a beast and I haven't unlocked any upgrades yet. Was using bounties on my Thorn to get the DoT perk so I can try that gun out in PvP, but I may stop that and just start upgrading TLW. Really starting to fall in love with Handcannons in PvP.

That's awesome to know. It's so good even without upgrades. The rapid fire is fun to use and the gun looks great.

I think overall Thorn is still the more versatile gun for crucible. Maybe it's just my play style or limited experience with TLW so far but Thorn's range and DoT just makes it way more deadly on any given map.

Might just be the way you wrote it, but remember XP is distributed equally so you don't need to funnel it to a single item (just in case you're still going with the old info). A friend of mine was funnelling to a single item until I told him yesterday that technique was debunked weeks ago... He was a little peeved.

And yeh, if you like TLW without upgrades you're in for a treat.

Also, remember it's full auto. So many people don't realise that. I saw a guy using it in crucible and messaged him asking if he knew, he told me he'd been on excited to get it to pay attention. :p

Wait, so when I go to turn in bounties it levels all of my weapons, not just the ones I have equipped? That can't be right...

You're level 30 and you have a GHorn. Trust me when I say that RNGesus loves you.

lunlunqq

Yes, that's definitely a solid approach. The Rocket is more valuable there than fired into Atheon. I had come to this determination after a few wipes as well and was ready to fuck his shit up with the Horn.

Result:
AnchoredGenuineAuk.gif

:(

Ha. I have experienced that too. Especially when I tried to shoot Atheon with the Ghorn. The rocket just exploded right after it leaves the muzzle. It has killed me a few times and that also adds to my impression of Ghorn being less useful in the VoG.

To think that weapons we have nowadays already have this basic safety feature of not arming the warhead unless it has traveled a certain distance away from the launcher, preventing accidental fire at a close-by object from killing the shooter. The creators of the great Ghorn had to leave this feature out...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, I do have Atheon's Epilogue too, forgot I had it on my Warlock, but eh. Most important thing is just hitting each oracle immediately, Hawkmoon will take them apart.

I think the first loadout I'll try for next Atheon attempt will be Hawkmoon, 77, Corrective Measure. Possibly switching to Horn and popping a heavy synth when he's down to <33%. just the strategy adjustments I've learned today should go a long way.

Oh, on the gatekeepers, here's a thing:

I became a big fan of entering from the other side, like going around to the side of the portal that faces Atheon and enter that way, for Green/Right/Venus side. Then the Portal is between you and the Gatekeeper/Ultra mobs. You can take a second and aim and fire off your heavy without any threat. It kept me alive multiple times. Running into that portal as a 29 and being face to face with the Gatekeeper was like near-instant death.
Ha. I have experienced that too. Especially when I tried to shoot Atheon with the Ghorn. The rocket just exploded right after it leaves the muzzle. It has killed me a few times and that also adds to my impression of Ghorn being less useful in the VoG.

To think that weapons we have nowadays already have this basic safety feature of not arming the warhead unless it has traveled a certain distance away from the launcher, preventing accidental fire at a close-by object from killing the shooter. The creators of the great Ghorn had to leave this feature out...
Well, I shot it point-blank at an Oracle, I don't think that points to it being particularly less than useful so much as my horrible positioning and bad luck. If that rocket had been fired 1s earlier and found its mark on the Minotaur, for all we know we might have killed Atheon that round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom