• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

BLCKATK

I find myself being drawn back to this game again.

I was watching a friend try it out yesterday when he came over to visit and hearing the music and seeing the gun-play again just made me want to delve back in. This game really does have the visual style and flair that I have been waiting for since I was a kid, so anytime I see any videos or screenshots I just feel like jumping back in.

I'm not sure if there was a clear answer to this, but if I want to enjoy this game to the fullest, would picking up the expansion pass be recommended? I'd be playing on 360 which is already a minus, but I'm not sure if they restricted any content or the like to people that don't have the expansion currently. I will say the most enjoyable thing in the game to me was the Vault of Glass, so doing another raid sounds really enjoyable, just made not $20 worth of enjoyment.

jadedm17

Some of us start drinking early...
No kidding, I passed out at ten and woke up at midnight. Spent an hour in crucible and leveled up. Hah

I find myself being drawn back to this game again.

I was watching a friend try it out yesterday when he came over to visit and hearing the music and seeing the gun-play again just made me want to delve back in. This game really does have the visual style and flair that I have been waiting for since I was a kid, so anytime I see any videos or screenshots I just feel like jumping back in.

I'm not sure if there was a clear answer to this, but if I want to enjoy this game to the fullest, would picking up the expansion pass be recommended? I'd be playing on 360 which is already a minus, but I'm not sure if they restricted any content or the like to people that don't have the expansion currently. I will say the most enjoyable thing in the game to me was the Vault of Glass, so doing another raid sounds really enjoyable, just made not $20 worth of enjoyment.

I would have said no a few days ago but the new raid is pretty awesome, though I feel a lot shorter once you know what you're doing. If you've stopped playing in general then probably not. The restricted content was just weeklies the week of release really, nothing too special to make the expansion worth it. Personally I've enjoyed it but I'm one of the people here who has played far too much.

Feep

Banned
(sigh) Picked Destiny as part of Sony's "Four Games PIck One" promotion today...got this.

XRNqgqW.png

C'mon, Sony.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Merry Christmas Guardians!!

To the people who have started a 2nd and 3rd character, did you find it more beneficial to pick the same type and share gear? I have a 31+ Warlock that I love, but I would like some variety in gameplay styles. I want to create a Hunter for variation but I also want to be able to Raid multiple times and get the most out of the weekly stuff. Your thoughts?

I created 1 character of each class type just cause the play-styles are different
You only create 3 Warlock or 3 Hunters if you want to maximize reaching a certain threshold quickly, but you miss out on other things the classes offer

I love switching to different classes and learn their strengths and weaknesses
helps you understand them better

I would get pretty tired quickly running same class 3 times, so don't wanna bother learning or play the other classes

I enjoy all 3 immensely

jadedm17

Some of us don't stop.

I am an alcoholic.

I am a Destinyholic.

This combination is terrible.

I am fucked.

No hangover if you don't stop so that's just smart thinking.

I prefer the greener alternative : I can still shoot and it doesn't punish me after;
Drinking is fun at first but I progressively get horrible in PVP with each drink.
Worst part? I'm never drunk enough to stop thinking "SHIT Woulda had that sober!"

BLCKATK

I would have said no a few days ago but the new raid is pretty awesome, though I feel a lot shorter once you know what you're doing. If you've stopped playing in general then probably not. The restricted content was just weeklies the week of release really, nothing too special to make the expansion worth it. Personally I've enjoyed it but I'm one of the people here who has played far too much.

Thank you for your response. I've put a lot of time into the game, around 150 Hours on two characters but I stopped playing around November. Definitely no stranger to how addictive this game can be..

Well, I think I'll just keep playing and see what happens. If I happen to get expansion loot from an engram or something, I can't equip it right? While my friend was playing he ended up getting a Legendary Engram that dropped some boots with the Expansion <I> symbol on it, but they were for warlock so I couldn't try them on. Can't say I wasn't discouraged.. haha

Lima

It all depends on how much time you want to invest in the game. 3 of the same class is a lot less work because you play with your main a lot and only do the nightfall/weekly/raid with the other two. They don't get any more love.

3 different characters? Like I have to invest much more time than someone with 3 of the same class to be able to do the same every week. It will also take me longer to reach 32 with all of them. 63 vs 189 radiant shards.

Steroyd

Heh, I'm more proficient at rumble than I thought, still not my kind of thing though.

Do you get an Alone at the top medal for just winning rumble, or is it by a certain amount of points? There was a particularly laggy person that made me want to snap my controller in 2, wondering if his points counted.

It will also take me longer to reach 32 with all of them. 63 vs 189 radiant shards.

That pretty much sums it up right there for me. Thank you for all the replies. I really just want to get more chances for loot for my main. So, time to make a second warlock. I'm assuming once you get it to 20, you just transfer gear over and run stuff?

Sullichin

Heh, I'm more proficient at rumble than I thought, still not my kind of thing though.

Do you get an Alone at the top medal for just winning rumble, or is it by a certain amount of points? There was a particularly laggy person that made me want to snap my controller in 2, wondering if his points counted.
You get it for winning by any amount.

Lima

Best medal is Sum of all Tears which you get by winning the game and having more points than the rest of the people combined.

GraveRobberX

Wait you can double dip Vanguard bounties too...

Since when?

I did Eris bounties, then did 5/6 Vangaurd bounties, then logged off, check Eris, grabbed 4 more, went to Bounty Board, same Bounties up again...

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!, I remember trying to double bounty beforehand but it wouldn't work, now it is?
So I could level up my shit faster, FUCK!

Lima

Since when?

I did Eris bounties, then did 5/6 Vangaurd bounties, then logged off, check Eris, grabbed 4 more, went to Bounty Board, same Bounties up again...

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!, I remember trying to double bounty beforehand but it wouldn't work, now it is?

Since the game came out?

GraveRobberX

Since the game came out?

Really? I did try it a few times but shit never worked, wow what a dummy I am
Could have really pushed my Ranks up way high
Now I get how people are 30-40+ Rank in a faction

I spread my shit out on 3 chars so time for 1 character to get pushed with double bounties
Will cycle on and off depending who needs to catch up

Really want to get all factions, expect Crucible to Rank 25+ for all 3 characters
Crucible I'm hoping to hit 10 o all 3 and not worry about it that much
So my stats would be 50% higher if I did do Double Bounties trick @ reset, fuck >=/
BP7BAaY.png

Steroyd

Since when?

Since the beginning, for some reason it didn't work when I tried doing Iron Banner bounties and assumed they patched it out back in November.

Jinjo

Really want to get all factions, expect Crucible to Rank 25+ for all 3 characters

Why would you put yourself through that?

I'm farming exclusion zone. Literally letting the grind steal my christmas lol. If anyone else has no shame too and needs the glimmer, join me. PSN is JinjoNL

Really? I did try it a few times but shit never worked, wow what a dummy I am
Could have really pushed my Ranks up way high
Now I get how people are 30-40+ Rank in a faction

I spread my shit out on 3 chars so time for 1 character to get pushed with double bounties
Will cycle on and off depending who needs to catch up

Crucible I'm hoping to hit 10 o all 3 and not worry about it that much
So my stats would be 50% higher if I did do Double Bounties trick @ reset, fuck >=/
There was a brief time that you couldn't do it, perhaps that's when you tried it. Otherwise, yeah you've been able to do it for a long time. I enjoy doing it with crucible bounties since I tend to play that for about 5 hours or so.

Man reading those comments makres me sad, people regretting not buying the last word, someone regretting sharding theirs... I'm so grateful I read up on weapon reviews in this thread. T_T

Not that I'd not try to collect and keep them all anyway.

i wasn't that impressed when i first used it either. and then i used it in PvP and my eyes were opened.

it has a very high learning curve. if you can consistently 3 shot, you're lethal on the majority of the maps. the throwing knives on top make it the ideal gunslinger loadout IMO. i think the golden gun is even using the last word asset.

Zakalwe

Banned
Looks like my earlier post about similarities between naming conventions of Destiny weapons and the ship Minds from Ian M Banks Culture novels might have more weight to it.

What are the civilian applications?
- Ship name from a certain Culture novel

Civilian Applications
- Rare sniper in Destiny

You can see all the Mind names from the books here (open the Novels tab).

The style of naming is so close, I bet there are a few others either lifted or very similar.

Bungie are great at world building but their designs are always so derivative.

Halo marines and marine hardware - James Cameron's 'Aliens'

Sparrows - 'Star Wars' speeders

Etc...

Top Bottom