• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

hydruxo

Everyone's obsession with the Gahblahblahorn is hilarious.

Rocket launchers are boring. "Ooooo I can pewpew an enemy to death 2 seconds faster than the next best rocket launcher. I must have it."

Why can't you all just be satisfied with any other rocket launcher? Or any other heavy for that matter?

Rocket launchers are boring? That's something I don't think I've ever heard someone say before.

Gjallarhorn isn't just any other RL. It does significantly more damage than the others, and a few seconds faster can be pretty important.

SnakeEyes

Banned

Rocket launchers are boring. "Ooooo I can pewpew an enemy to death 2 seconds faster than the next best rocket launcher. I must have it."

Why can't you all just be satisfied with any other rocket launcher? Or any other heavy for that matter?
Obviously don't have one, huh?

The Godtierhorn is awesome because a) rocket tracking, and b) tracking secondary clusters after the initial explosion.

Done it. People have Horn and did their thing on Crota. But I was on Boomers.

You all going nuts over me trash talking it lol. I'm just messing with you all. I'm telling you the obsession is unhealthy.

Love other weapons. Please. They all need love. #teamNohHorn

There's a reason you were on boomer duty.

Go watch a Crota raid flush with Ghorn's and then go participate in a raid with 0 Ghorn's. Still very doable, but a much different experience.

Steroyd

Lol, there is a massive discrepancy between a Gjallarhorn and the next best Rocket Launcher, which is why it's so sought after.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I would say exotic primaries are best reserved for PVP whereas exotic heavies are best reserved for PVE.

Obviously don't have one, huh?

The Godtierhorn is awesome because a) rocket tracking, and b) tracking secondary clusters after the initial explosion.

Like I said no I don't have one and I am sure I would use it but I don't pray to RNGesus for it like most in here.

And about the suros as a primary. I upgraded mine with Xur and have it one slot from maxed but much prefer my legendary ARs. Wish I would have upgraded the Last Word instead.

I would say exotic primaries are best reserved for PVP whereas exotic heavies are best reserved for PVE.

Sweet that makes me excited about my SGA. I've been using the new raid MG and Corrective measure.

This is the most ridiculous thing about it currently, this guy on LFG denied me and my two friends a PUG because one of them didn't have it. It's absolutely not a requirement to chip Crota down.

Whenever I see that shit on lfg I just smh and keep looking. Don't wanna play with people like that anyway.

Zakalwe

Banned

I take it you've not used a Gahblahblahorn before.

If you have and you still think this stop falling off your chair when you fire it and actually look at the destruction.

Edit: you don't have one, makes more sense. Tag along with someone who has one and stand back while they fire a couple of rounds, it'll make perfect sense.

Gjallarhorn is better than any other weapon in the game. There are many legendary primaries and secondaries that do as good a job (or better) as most of the exotics you can get in those slots.

The best place for an Exotic Primary is PvP, as their perks and performances seem more suited to the multiplayer. Truth, Thunderlord, Pocket Infinity and Plan C are very useful in PvP, but you'll still do just well with a Legendary or even Rare Special and Heavy. I've found that the primaries pull ahead more consistently though.

In PvE, Fatebringer or Vision of Confluence are some of the go to primaries for their elemental damage. Legendaries similar to them work well here and it allows you to use an ExoticSpecial or Heavy (or Mythoclast). If you have Gjallarhorn though, the choice is obvious.

I read a post once that said Gjallarhorn is overkill for anything other than bosses, but I don't see why that's a bad thing. An eliminate the target event shows up and you don't need to wait around for another person to help. Your strike mates quit and you just pop a synth and take down the boss yourself. Your raid group is struggling outside, so you solo the portal and take down the gatekeepers in 10 seconds.

Gjallarhorn is the best PvE weapon because it's overkill. It'd just be another rocket launcher without the Wolfpack Rounds, but those make a tremendous difference. What is it - 12-20 tracking clusters that do 240 damage each? I can never count but the DPS is insane.

todd360

Destiny servers door

Knock-knock-knock

Yo! Let me in! Guardian lord coming through!

Extra locks clicking in the background.

This guardian lord badge is useless.

Steroyd

Even if I can´t even log in to PSN?

I think it tries to log you into psn when you click x, so they go hand in hand.

Gjallarhorn is better than any other weapon in the game. There are many legendary primaries and secondaries that do as good a job (or better) as most of the exotics you can get in those slots.

Yeah until a legendary rocket launcher gets wolfpack rounds and tracking Gjallarhorn ian't going to get usurped or have as an alternative option.

I take it you've not used a Gahblahblahorn before.

If you have and you still think this stop falling off your chair when you fire it and actually look at the destruction.

Edit: you don't have one, makes more sense. Tag along with someone who has one and stand back while they fire a couple of rounds, it'll make perfect sense.

Okay okay guys I'll make my friend show me how awesome it is later. Dat Gaflahorn defense force ;)

Zakalwe

Banned
The best place for an Exotic Primary is PvP, as their perks and performances seem more suited to the multiplayer. Truth, Thunderlord, Pocket Infinity and Plan C are very useful in PvP, but you'll still do just well with a Legendary or even Rare Special and Heavy.

In PvE, Fatebringer or Vision of Confluence are some of the go to primaries for their elemental damage. Legendaries similar to them work well here and it allows you to use an ExoticSpecial or Heavy (or Mythoclast). If you have Gjallarhorn though, the choice is obvious.

I read a post once that said Gjallarhorn is overkill for anything other than bosses, but I don't see why that's a bad thing. An eliminate the target event shows up and you don't need to wait around for another person to help. Your strike mates quit and you just pop a synth and take down the boss yourself. Your raid group is struggling outside, so you solo the portal and take down the gatekeepers in 10 seconds.

Gjallarhorn is the best PvE weapon because it's overkill. It'd just be another rocket launcher without the Wolfpack Rounds, but those make a tremendous difference. What is it - 12-20 tracking clusters that do 240 damage each? I can never count but the DPS is insane.

Here's a breakdown of the damage.

You're spot on regarding dage types of raid primaries. VoC, Fatebringer, even Epilogue for void burn. Far too useful to give up to an exotic in pve imo.

Gjallarhorn and Icebreaker just offer too much...

"There's an elven artefact nearby."

Godamn it, hold on a second...

Steroyd

Okay okay guys I'll make my friend show me how awesome it is later. Dat Gaflahorn defense force ;)

Not so much a defense force, it's just objectively better and head and shoulders above the next best thing.

That's not to say, Truth, Crota's Hunger and prior to The Dark Below, Hezen's Vengeance aren't good rocket launchers in their own right, they're just not Gjallahorn.

Hyun Sai

Unless you're running Titan with ruins, an Icebreaker / Hunger of Crota combo is much more versatile though.

I nearly always see people switching to Gjallahorn at the end of the mission / boss if they got an Icebreaker in their bag.

Yes you can get it but will you. I haven't gotten gear the last two weeks

Exactly. People getting lucky and they think it's easy to get drops. My Warlock is level 31 and I only have gotten raid boots 3 weeks in a row. Last night we cheesed crota at the end and I ran it with my level 27 titan and didn't get any armor. Just Hunger of Crota launcher, a shader, and a emblem. :l.

todd360

They aren't going to sell ghorn guys. Never again. Its like they didn't realize how broken it is until they sold it the first time. If they won't even sell praxic fire then there's no way ghorn is gonna be up again. Bungie didn't give us a black xursday and they won't give us a xursmas.

Alucrid

Banned
Unless you're running Titan with ruins, an Icebreaker / Hunger of Crota combo is much more versatile though.

I nearly always see people switching to Gjallahorn at the end of the mission / boss if they got an Icebreaker in their bag.

i pretty much only use gjallarhorn whenever there isn't a burn. since i have black hammer and when i had preydeths, and there's not too much cheese that needs it, icebreaker is on the sidelines

Exactly. People getting lucky and they think it's easy to get drops. My Warlock is level 31 and I only have gotten raid boots 3 weeks in a row. Last night we cheesed crota at the end and I ran it with my level 27 titan and didn't get any armor. Just Hunger of Crota launcher, a shader, and a emblem. :l.

I have everything except the chest piece. And since I took a 2 month break before the DLC I dont have an exotic chest. Hoping Xur has one so I can just focus on shards to get to 32. Crazy how easy it is if you get the right drops.

Here's a breakdown of the damage.

You're spot on regarding dage types of raid primaries. VoC, Fatebringer, even Epilogue for void burn. Far too useful to give up to an exotic in pve imo.

Gjallarhorn and Icebreaker just offer too much...

"There's an elven artefact nearby."

Godamn it, hold on a second...

Haha at least DA:I can be played offline.

Steroyd

I don't know, Black Hammer makes a good case for putting Ice Breaker to the side, granted there's conditions to it, but the semi benefit of an Icebreaker as a legendary with your exotic being the Gjallarhorn is too good to pass up.

Mindlog

There's a reason you were on boomer duty.

Go watch a Crota raid flush with Ghorn's and then go participate in a raid with 0 Ghorn's. Still very doable, but a much different experience.
My last Crota kill had 3.
First try was timing and teaching someone who had never done Crota before.
Second was a quick kill.

When using that kind of overwhelming firepower against Crota the Swordbearer can be certain Crota is going down at the same time every time. It makes everything so much easier.

In PvE an exotic heavy is great because you don't actually have to have it equipped. Switch to it when you need it then switch off to another exotic when appropriate. At least this is how it used to be,.. Then Ruin Wings.
gedCXlO.gif

Or Obsidian Mind and Bad Juju. Give it to me Xur.

Or you could just aim and hit them yourself. Lol why would you ever want your weapon to do that in an FPS? Lol thats like a fucking missile in Ace Combat.

Any chance it gets nerfed a tadbit?

You're kinda missing the point.

Gjallar isn't the only rocket launcher with tracking anyway...

Or you could just aim and hit them yourself. Lol why would you ever want your weapon to do that in an FPS? Lol thats like a fucking missile in Ace Combat.

giphy.gif

Trusting Bungie on tweaking weapons is laughable. Plus that's not the only rocket that tracks.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Sometimes a rocket is just too slow or the enemies are too swift. It's nice to have a perk that backs up one of the strongest arsenal in your game when something goes wrong. In this case, the homing.

Top Bottom