• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

if there is one week that Xur has to disapoint, I don't mind it being this week due to the PSN fuckage.

It would suck royale if Xur had GOOD stuff this week while so many people are locked out.

So, I am not complaining about Xur's shit selection too much today

I'm still locked out

careful, the more you play DAI the less upset you'll be
its a great game and makes it easy to forget about destiny for a while

Just bought Dragon's Age on amazon with some gift cards I got for Christmas. I think Destiny is going to get a bit less playtime in the next month or so. I still love it, but I need to mix it up a bit.

Namikaze1

Yup, and lots of people were like "lol, when am i ever going to waste my exotic slot on a heavy weapon" and i was like tracking clusters seems legit. should be able to kill anything i aim it at. Now i laugh at them. also everyone should have known Ice Breaker was good, and you only needed 17 coins for it. to not have bought it is stupid.
I didn't bought mine. I got lucky with an engram. Just two days before Xur sold it, I got mine. It's been with me since then.

Yup, and lots of people were like "lol, when am i ever going to waste my exotic slot on a heavy weapon" and i was like tracking clusters seems legit. should be able to kill anything i aim it at. Now i laugh at them. also everyone should have known Ice Breaker was good, and you only needed 17 coins for it. to not have bought it is stupid.

lololol who would waste an exotic slot on a heavy??? Sunbreakers are the shit my friend.

Don't go that road...
A lot of people, including myself, played since day one but were not hardcore enough to be able to afford Gjallahorn when Xur had it on week 2.
I was advancing slowly and didn't even know about Xur at that time, only caught up to him the week after...

Yep, it was sold by Xur during his 2nd appearance. I stupidly passed on buying it. :mad:

btw, hows the end-game in gw2? is it just snowball fights or are there raids too? i've have it sitting around unopened for months now, should probably play it sometime

woah now... lets not talk about those days bud, biggest mistake of my life...

hmm... didn't mean to piss a lot of people off. I didn't play Destiny seriously back then, so I didn't even know about Xur until like the 4th or 5th week? I think the first week that I found Xur, he was selling Ice Breakers.

Someone on GAF told me to buy IB even though I really wanted to get whatever armor he was selling at the time (shortage of coins). I was just lucky that he was around.

Been playing this game since launch and I've yet to acquire a legendary void fusion rifle. Had to bring a maxed rare one to the nightfall which actually worked pretty decent, but still, where's the legendaries! I know they exist in the game but are they really this rare or am I one unlucky guardian?
You're not the only one, I've received several arc/solar fusions, but never a Legendary void. I'm even planning on keeping one of the newer 294 rares if it ever pops up. I hilariously tried using my void Secret Handshake for Nightfall to no avail, thankfully I have a trusty 300 Final Boss that makes short work of anything from a distance.

LordofPwn

Don't go that road...
A lot of people, including myself, played since day one but were not hardcore enough to be able to afford Gjallahorn when Xur had it on week 2.
I was advancing slowly and didn't even know about Xur at that time, only caught up to him the week after...

17 coins after 2 weekly heroics. i had saved up 23 expecting all exotic weapons to cost that much. was pleasantly surprised to see Gjallarhorn only costing 17.

Didn't you have the chance to get the Gjallarhorn if you were playing since day one?
You and I both know how it was. Low level that early on meant you had few strange coins. I put a lot of hours in the game earlt and only had enough to buy helm of Inmost Light. Also, 2 weeks in very few people knew the greatness of gjallarhorn. I thought wasting strange coins in a heavy was foolish. How wrong I was.

realcZk

hmm... didn't mean to piss a lot of people off. I didn't play Destiny seriously back then, so I didn't even know about Xur until like the 4th or 5th week? I think the first week that I found Xur, he was selling Ice Breakers.

Someone on GAF told me to buy IB even though I really wanted to get whatever armor he was selling at the time (shortage of coins). I was just lucky that he was around.

haha no worries im not mad, just a little irritated i missed out on the best weapon in the game when i could have had it for all these months...

jaaz

I'm so glad I stocked up on rocket telemetry. Have like 10. Should make it a little less painful to upgrade the G-horn. Assuming of course I can get on-line to buy it...

Shito

Yeah, IB was my first Xur item as well. I could see how OP it could be, but I was short on coins: GlamFM and Steroyd carried my low level ass through the 28 weekly so I could buy it. I died so much, and had less than 10 kills. Such a good memory. <3
My girlfriend got hers a week after, from the first Nightfall we ever completed.

IB was far enough in that it was a known power weapon and people could have easily had the coins. GHorn was an unknown, and personally I had just enough coins for one item that week. I picked armor since the going mindset at the time was "get to 30", and a weapon didn't help with that goal. For them to offer the upgrade for GHorn and not an outright buy, when they have offered Truth and Patience and Time on multiple occasions... I don't know man. Rich get richer indeed.

neither did I. I wasn't hardcore into the game back then and had no idea what strange coins or what Xur was. IB was also the first weapon I bought from him and it has served me well ever since. So I can't hate on Xur too much :p

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I need to get on to upgrade my Ballerhorns. Please don't let Xur leave before then!

Actually, I have 3 Gjallarhorns (RNG was kind to me a while back). One is fully pretty much fully maxed. Do I upgrade 2 and keep the old one around until I max a new one? Or do I upgrade all 3 and go through the pain of not having Wolfpack rounds for a bit?

Jinjo

I'm just spamming the psn sign-in through remoteplay while finally catching up on Homeland.

I need to get on to upgrade my Ballerhorns. Please don't let Xur leave before then!

Actually, I have 3 Gjallarhorns (RNG was kind to me a while back). One is fully pretty much fully maxed. Do I upgrade 2 and keep the old one around until I max a new one? Or do I upgrade all 3 and go through the pain of not having Wolfpack rounds for a bit?

I'm debating the same thing. If I can get enough glimmer I'm definitely upgrading them all though.

Jinjo

Uh yes. Two times scorch = two times flameshield

PSN is down for maintenance, that wont work.

Last I read they where slowly bringing the service back (europe). They can't just open the floodgates, but slowly more people should be able to get on no?

Hoodbury

Trying to solo the first part of the raid and having a tough go seems like 1st world problems about now. :(

If you get a character to the second chest part and I'm online can I get in on that? Missed it last week and would like to get it on both chars this week if possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
btw, hows the end-game in gw2? is it just snowball fights or are there raids too? i've have it sitting around unopened for months now, should probably play it sometime
lol, I'm rather fond of all the holiday events and the snowball arena in particular.

there is no traditional mmorpg endgame whatsoever. no raids, no tiered gear treadmill, only a small number of very challenging PvE combat encounters, PvP is fully normalized (you can play at level 1 with full stats and skills if you want)... in PvE, for any endgame character you have, basically there's a deep cosmetic endgame (getting the armor/weapon skins you want or collecting them in general; there's a robust wardrobe and transmutation system) alongside whatever additional goals for yourself you want to pursue (100% world completion, beating every dungeon path, getting a legendary weapon, doing all the jumping puzzles, various collectathons/scavenger hunts, seeing every zone's big events, etc.), paired with very frequent, small content releases that tell an ongoing story and mix it up a lot in terms of gameplay variety. Each of these releases also comes with challenge achievements tied to it. Then there's the PvP and WvW (server versus server battlefields) that are endlessly replayable if you find them to be your thing.

there's little in the way of hand-holding once you hit 80, you have to decide what you feel like doing, but there's lots to choose from and a pretty good chance at least some of it will be fun for you.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lol I just got a legendary engram, legendary ship and a strange coin from a roc strike. The other two were not pleased.

LordofPwn

IB was far enough in that it was a known power weapon and people could have easily had the coins. GHorn was an unknown, and personally I had just enough coins for one item that week. I picked armor since the going mindset at the time was "get to 30", and a weapon didn't help with that goal. For them to offer the upgrade for GHorn and not an outright buy, when they have offered Truth and Patience and Time on multiple occasions... I don't know man. Rich get richer indeed.

I get that, and i was lucky enough to get voidfang from a legendary engram on the first weekend so i wasn't worried about armor. I find it nice though that bungie stealth sold the best weapon in the game and only those that were hardcore enough to have the coins and had the instincts to see the potential bought it. its nice having something to seek after versus just buy. its why Hawkmoon was so legendary, its why todd is going crazy trying to get praxic fire.

phen0m24

Are you using that lamp canon technique?
It's really easy once you get it down.
Using my son's hunter and I just got all the way to the bridge.

Then the darkness X 10 got me and I couldn't move. :(

Thanks Real. I've been using cloak and blink strike thus far.

What do you do when you get to the circle at the end?

realcZk

lol, I'm rather fond of all the holiday events and the snowball arena in particular.

there is no traditional mmorpg endgame whatsoever. no raids, no tiered gear treadmill, only a small number of very challenging PvE combat encounters, PvP is fully normalized (you can play at level 1 with full stats and skills if you want)... in PvE, for any endgame character you have, basically there's a deep cosmetic endgame (getting the armor/weapon skins you want or collecting them in general; there's a robust wardrobe and transmutation system) alongside whatever additional goals for yourself you want to pursue (100% world completion, beating every dungeon path, getting a legendary weapon, doing all the jumping puzzles, various collectathons/scavenger hunts, seeing every zone's big events, etc.), paired with very frequent, small content releases that tell an ongoing story and mix it up a lot in terms of gameplay variety. Each of these releases also comes with challenge achievements tied to it. Then there's the PvP and WvW (server versus server battlefields) that are endlessly replayable if you find them to be your thing.

there's little in the way of hand-holding once you hit 80, you have to decide what you feel like doing, but there's lots to choose from and a pretty good chance at least some of it will be fun for you.

sounds like a lot of fun, but id have to find friends to play with first :(

i can't really do those games solo

phen0m24

If you get a character to the second chest part and I'm online can I get in on that? Missed it last week and would like to get it on both chars this week if possible.
I made it to the bridge once.

Once.

At the end of my favorite Thrall part. Died there before the bridge formed.

Shito

There's a rock you can stand on, on the right of the last lamp when looking at the bridge.
Jump on it, thralls won't attacks you there. You just need to snipe the Ogre and wait for the bridge to get formed.

realcZk

for the first part, with the titan i run to the second lamp and hop on the rock. MIDA helps to move fast, with all agility perks. after positioning on the rock, it launches me up to the ledge. I follow that to the end and make a right and head past two lamps to the bridge.

when i get to the bridge, i activate the lamp and back up and let it explode. then i activate the bridge circle and immediately hop onto the rock next to the lamp, switch to sniper and wait for the ogre. once the ogre is dead i just sit down on the rock and wait till the path is formed, then sprint across the bridge. the thrall completely ignore you when you're on the rock haha

Ambitious

Jump on one of the two rocks next to the bridge and snipe the ogres. Try to get there with Weight of Darkness being as low as possible, otherwise jumping on the rock might be hard.

Top Bottom