• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Mindlog

Destiny gameplay is OK. Some of the areas and encounters are very well designed. When teams are really in sync in strikes it almost reminds me of ME3 MP. That's high praise.

Soothing the interminable wait for ME: Contact or whatever.

Destiny gameplay is OK. Some of the areas and encounters are very well designed. When teams are really in sync in strikes it almost reminds me of ME3 MP. That's high praise.

Eh, I think the gameplay/gunplay is the actual best thing about Destiny.

wow it takes a lot of adjustment to get use to Crucible on PS3. It's way laggier even though my connection shows full strength.

Blink jumps and the characters disappear. The blurriness means I can't see enemies further away like I am use to.

Stantron

I stayed up last night to do the double Eris bounty. Got teamed up with two others who were very likely doing the same thing. And we steam rolled through the DLC earth strike. Constant orb generation and chaining of supers. Liberal use of heavy ammo. It was a nice change of pace from the typical randoms. I think I still prefer ME3 MP gameplay by a fair margin though. I should get back into that.

Depends on what you define as "playerbase". What is the peak? What is the lowest value you'd accept as still be valid? People still play UO today, enough to keep it a sub MMO. Sure, not as many as at its height, but enough to keep the servers going. Does that still count? And to who? The people playing, or just observers who don't? If the company keeps it going, even with the "majority" having moved on, does that count, since the company thinks it's still worthwhile? Or is this a battle of usernumbers, where Game A having a million and Game B getting 2 million later, meaning Game B "wins"?

Well the playerbase is everyone who plays. :p

On a more serious note.. the specific amount varies for each game and their developers and publishers. Also on how they monetize. A game like CoD doesn't need quite as much retention over time as long as they can get the players to buy DLC and even barring that it has a Single Player campaign that can satisfy customers. A game like Destiny needs a higher player retention because of perpetual nature in both PvE and PvP. If the game feels empty to new players, they're not very likely to stick around.

Everyone understands that Subscription and Micro Transaction games place barriers to fuel their income but they miss the fact that a game like Destiny needs to keep the players actively playing just as much to keep the game alive as there is no true "solo" facet of it.

That's why I said the hooks need to be there

The hooks are in the grind though. And I define grind as any repetive tasks needed to reach a goal whether you enjoy those tasks or not. So in my view, every game functions through grinding. Sure they could adjust the grind to be "easier" but that just leads to players achieving their goals faster and then moving on. Which, as I said just above, is more detrimental to this kind of game than it is to a standard FPS. It's also worth noting that nearly every FPS out now has instituted a grind to it's MP to both make it feel perpetual as well as provide goals to be achieved. And those grinds are typically quite long.

Okay, so I think I might redbox the PS3 version of Destiny just to get to Xur. But, I don't have TDB on PS3. I have mostly raid armor equipped. What would happen to my gear if I loaded up a character with that stuff on?

If the game feels empty to new players, they're not very likely to stick around.

Point. But I think there is something to be said for the "core" playerbase that keeps the engine going, regardless of the flux in population from sales, trials, etc. If that core is large enough, the thing is perpetual (look at Blur/Halo Wars). I think Destiny has a lot going for it that will give it a stable core large enough to sustain it, though only time will tell. And since the roadmap was already laid out long ago (three games with two xpacs each, your char transfers from game to game), the next 10 years are pretty much set for Destiny, in spite of the initial hurdle and dropoff.

Okay, so I think I might redbox the PS3 version of Destiny just to get to Xur. But, I don't have TDB on PS3. I have mostly raid armor equipped. What would happen to my gear if I loaded up a character with that stuff on?

good question.. same situation here

don't wanna fuck anything up in my desperation to play the game

anyone?

timnich

You can still use any gear you got from TDB, you just won't be able to access the new missions or bounties. This includes the raid.

Bungie refuses to take any opportunity to generate goodwill. Hope you can get online before Xur is gone.

This is not goodwill. This is something that should be obvious since people can't play their game due to their dependence on PSN.

I'm sorry... It sounds like you're expecting Bungie to be reasonable....

Bungie, if you are reading this there is no excuse for you not to extend his stay. Seriously.

phen0m24

This is not goodwill. This is something that should be obvious since people can't play their game due to their dependence on PSN.

Bungie, if you are reading this there is no excuse for you not to extend his stay. Seriously.

Byron not only that but they should FIX the offerings. Seriously No Land Beyond is crap. Lump of coal it is. :)

Point. But I think there is something to be said for the "core" playerbase that keeps the engine going, regardless of the flux in population from sales, trials, etc. If that core is large enough, the thing is perpetual (look at Blur/Halo Wars). I think Destiny has a lot going for it that will give it a stable core large enough to sustain it, though only time will tell. And since the roadmap was already laid out long ago (three games with two xpacs each, your char transfers from game to game), the next 10 years are pretty much set for Destiny, in spite of the initial hurdle and dropoff.

The core isn't something that we can really quantify accurately and if the game feels empty enough (say it takes a 5 minute search to join a normal Strike), then why would any players who experienced that and left, continue to buy the future installments? At the end of the day, despite the road map, each Destiny installment (and to a certain degree the DLC) needs to meet monetary income goals in order for the next installment to come to fruition. Recouping cost and then profiting is a necessary evil. Otherwise I'm certain Activision will cut their losses and get their funding returned which would be terrible for Bungie.

This is why Zipper never recovered from Socom 4, which took a hit both from vocal dissent and the first PSN outage. They put out a few more games after that but couldn't remain profitable so they were shuttered.

Byron not only that but they should FIX the offerings. Seriously No Land Beyond is crap. Lump of coal it is. :)

Lots of guns had a bad rep early on. HC's were thought to be poor Scouts, Fast RoF/Low Impact AR's thought to be subpar, Scouts thought to be useless in PvP, even Gjall was thought to be pretty bad until people started unlocking Wolfpack Rounds. It's a bit early yet to say it's completely worthless.

I need that Hawkmoon upgrade!!

I also want to upgrade my Helm of Inmost Light and buy the new Warlock gauntlets.

I've got all the coins, shards and glimmer to do it. Just give me 10 minutes in the game! Come onnnnnn

Iceman829

Anyone on XB1 looking to party up for some crucible? I'm working on my bad juju bounty and would rather play with a party than just lone wolfing it.

Has Bungie said anything about extending Xur for PS owners?

50900-Ellen-Page-shrug-gif-Tb30.gif

I disagree. The idea is flawed because the majority of players will definitely move on once they feel they've done all they want to. No matter what the game or how popular it was at it's peak, it will lose players over time if there isn't anything new added. There is no realistic possibility of retaining a playbase simply because "it's fun."

I think you can retain people just by the game being fun. I know the COD is kinda toxic but look at when COD 4 came out. That game basically planted it's flag at the top when it came out cos it was fun and the leveling up system rewarded you for it. You didn't have to wait a freaking week to unlock your red dot sight or your grenade launcher.

Destiny feels like they're trying to capture what infinity ward did what COD 4 but they're just not capable of doing.

Vita sure is handy for being able to move around the house and keep trying to log in via remote play.

I will be taking mine to the family dinner I am at tonight so if PSN does come back up or I somehow get on I will get what I need from Xur at least.

Made sure the disc was in the drive since I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition all day.

I will be taking mine to the family dinner I am at tonight so if PSN does come back up or I somehow get on I will get what I need from Xur at least.

Made sure the disc was in the drive since I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition all day.

Disc? What is this disc thing you speak of? :)

Actually just now the login routine is immediately timing out as opposed to taking a minute to do...which is good I think, *something* is going on/changing. Maybe they are close.

I don't get why a select number can still log on to PSN and Destiny but a majority can't.
I have 25 friends online, 1 in Destiny with me, where i've been for the last 6 hours (PS4 here)

phen0m24

...didn't see this earlier before I got off. Got boring walking around an empty world
Yeah. I have been on since 3:45 am. Was able to switch characters once but got greedy and tried to do it again a few minutes ago. Oops.

Still, turned in 17 bounties, leveled a Gjallarhorn to 331, two manned the first two sections of the raid and got the Salvage trophy.

#havetosayitwasagoodday

Atkison04

Just got to my cabin in the mountains. Totally brought my ps4 and the new 24 inch tv i bought the kids for Christmas. I'm hoping the wifi here works so that i can visit xur "if" Playstation gets fixed while I'm here. I wasn't about to turn my back on that ghorn upgrade!

Yeah. I have been on since 3:45 am. Was able to switch characters once but got greedy and tried to do it again a few minutes ago. Oops.

Still, turned in 17 bounties, leveled a Gjallarhorn to 331, two manned the first two sections of the raid and got the Salvage trophy.

#havetosayitwasagoodday

Dang. I'd like to be levelling up my giggidyhorn right now. Maybe even messing around with that wacky primary sniper for lulz.

phen0m24

Dang. I'd like to be levelling up my giggidyhorn right now. Maybe even messing around with that wacky primary sniper for lulz.
Tyler my son Josh (thank you for running with him, by the way) was optimistic. But even he gave up after a while with NLB. Oh well. He tried.

At least ours was from a drop. I'd be miffed if he had burned coins on that atrocity!

Just got to my cabin in the mountains. Totally brought my ps4 and the new 24 inch tv i bought the kids for Christmas. I'm hoping the wifi here works so that i can visit xur "if" Playstation gets fixed while I'm here. I wasn't about to turn my back on that ghorn upgrade!

Haha, nice. You go camping in the wilderness and bring the grind with you. JDirty in tow :p?

Sucks though, I was just playing with iRAWR and we did some strikes, the Daily, left his fireteam and now I'm back to unable to sign in. Glad I didn't use that Rocket telemetry!

The core isn't something that we can really quantify accurately and if the game feels empty enough (say it takes a 5 minute search to join a normal Strike), then why would any players who experienced that and left, continue to buy the future installments? At the end of the day, despite the road map, each Destiny installment (and to a certain degree the DLC) needs to meet monetary income goals in order for the next installment to come to fruition. Recouping cost and then profiting is a necessary evil. Otherwise I'm certain Activision will cut their losses and get their funding returned which would be terrible for Bungie.

This is why Zipper never recovered from Socom 4, which took a hit both from vocal dissent and the first PSN outage. They put out a few more games after that but couldn't remain profitable so they were shuttered.

True. But we're still talking in hypotheticals here. It doesn't take five minutes to find a Strike yet. And currently, the game is enjoying a rather decent success, in spite of a lot of naysaying. Activision and Bungie have posted very positive reports about the game, which could be blowing smoke, sure, but I don't see a reason why they would at this point.

As for Zipper, there's a bit more to that story, like the failed Vita causing their excellent Vita game to have no sales - so Sony is every bit to blame for them shuttering, just like Studio Liverpool. But I do get what you're saying - I just think it's too early to place bets.

Top Bottom