• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

There's been no public comment from DeeJ/Bungie since this started, so I doubt it, unless it's an 11th hour miracle.

Deej made a post on Reddit saying he was going to have a talk with Xur's boss when he gets back from vacation and to wish him luck. I don't envy his job.

Xur has always been tough for me. I work 12 hour shifts that include Friday and Saturday. Factor in sleep, commute time and other family obligations, I have a very small window to get anything from him.

Especially now with the upgrades and glimmer cap you have to keep farming and buying

When the weekend comes and everybody has time to play they want everyone to be grinding destiny instead of playing some other game

That's one of the things that pisses me off the most about this game. It seems like most of the decisions that they make are informed by the fact that they want people to keep playing and that's just dumb. They're more worried about player retention than what's fun and convenient for the player base

If they created something truly awesome they wouldn't be worried about artificially prolonging people's playtime. If the game didn't have so many damn frustrating and mind boggling parts to it people will keep playing it no matter what. They wouldn't need all these roadblocks

Keep in mind, I still think it's fun but my God it seems like Bungie finds a way all the time to make the experience worse.

PSN seriously still down? The fuck am I even paying for? Not renewing my sub after all this crap.

There was (and might still be) a large-scale DDoS against PSN and XBL, and it's Christmas, which compounds the issue due to the flood of new consoles - the same thing happened last year, though not quite as bad due to a lack of DDoS.

If Sony were to include DDoS mitigation and protection in the price of PSN, I doubt it'd be as cheap as it is now. Anyway, this is a complex issue - I think you might just want to wait a week before coming to a snap decision. It sucks that this happens, and happened, but no company in the world is immune from the kind of DDoS we just saw.

PSN is up for a large chunk of people across all regions (PS3 and Vita appear to be back to 100%), while PS4 is still having issues depending on region, and which datacenter you connect to. I suspect Sony might be bringing things back up slowly, checking for any actual intrusion attempts that might have occured during the DDoS.

Bungie, to people who wont be able to upgrade their exotics because of the PSN outage:

50900-Ellen-Page-shrug-gif-Tb30.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You do realize that a) there was (and might still be) a large-scale DDoS against PSN and XBL, and b) it's Christmas, which compounds the issue due to the flood of new consoles - the same thing happened last year, though not quite as bad due to a lack of DDoS.

If Sony were to include DDoS mitigation and protection in the price of PSN, I doubt it'd be as cheap as it is now. Anyway, this is a complex issue - I think you might just want to wait a week before coming to a snap decision. It sucks that this happens, and happened, but no company in the world is immune from the kind of DDoS we just saw.
I was told earlier (though I haven't looked into it further) that Sony has a contract with Prolexic. This hasn't exactly been a red letter week for them/Akamai if true...

I was told earlier (though I haven't looked into it further) that Sony has a contract with Prolexic. This hasn't exactly been a red letter week for them/Akamai if true...

Over in the main thread for the DDoS, we were wondering who Sony's third-party DDoS mitigation providor might be (I was pretty sure it wasn't Norse). If it IS Prolexic, then wow, this is going to reflect badly on them. Although to be fair, a 400Gbps and up attack is quite something, add in amplification and smurfing and you're looking at 1000+ easy, I'm not sure mitigation exists that could provide a decent end-user experience during that.

Especially now with the upgrades and glimmer cap you have to keep farming and buying

Another factor in my decision to take a break. A week or 2 ago, I had to sacrifice a lot of sleep to grind out glimmer for several upgrades. It's just not worth it. With a larger window, I could have gotten it in my own time and not push myself for it.

You do realize that a) there was (and might still be) a large-scale DDoS against PSN and XBL, and b) it's Christmas, which compounds the issue due to the flood of new consoles - the same thing happened last year, though not quite as bad due to a lack of DDoS.

PSN is up for a large chunk of people across all regions (PS3 and Vita appear to be back to 100%), while PS4 is still having issues depending on region, and which datacenter you connect to. I suspect Sony might be bringing things back up slowly, checking for any actual intrusion attempts that might have occured during the DDoS.
Oh I understand, but as a paying customer the DDoS attack should be Sony's problem, not mine. I appreciate that it's a real head-scratcher for them, but if you're going to change for an online service that can be crippled by some illiterate idiot teenagers, figure it out or make it free.

That's one of the things that pisses me off the most about this game. It seems like most of the decisions that they make are informed by the fact that they want people to keep playing and that's just dumb. They're more worried about player retention than what's fun and convenient for the player base

If they created something truly awesome they wouldn't be worried about artificially prolonging people's playtime. If the game didn't have so many damn frustrating and mind boggling parts to it people will keep playing it no matter what. They wouldn't need all these roadblocks

Keep in mind, I still think it's fun but my God it seems like Bungie finds a way all the time to make the experience worse.

Yeah that's how this game has felt since day one. As if it's a collection of mechanics drawn from research and data instead of a game designed to be a fun and cohesive experience.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Typically when discussing online games like this, referring to a time is always based on server time unless otherwise noted and Destiny server time is PST.
And I don't count that one hour into Sunday as anything significant ;)

PSN seriously still down? The fuck am I even paying for? Not renewing my sub after all this crap.
I don't give a shit what is typical, I only care what happens down my neck of the woods. That being said, I should have put NZT in my original post.

And your last comment is rubbish. Go make your complaints in the Lizard Squad thread.

Deej made a post on Reddit saying he was going to have a talk with Xur's boss when he gets back from vacation and to wish him luck. I don't envy his job.
Oh sweet, missed that because I don't visit Reddit. Cheers :)

LordofPwn

Yes a real Sniper Rifle, NLB, lol no, try to get 20 Kills 10 deaths, no camping
I'll buy 1 in your honor

if i went 20 -10 with any sniper I'd be having an amazing match. I average around 14 kills a match as it is. and my average k/d ratio is 1.3 on my best character. 10 kills 5 deaths no camping with NLB only is a challenge i will accept.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They're more worried about player retention than what's fun and convenient for the player base.
This is absolutely 100% true. It's something that everyone who has any interest in Destiny should reconcile with themselves.
Unfortunately as lovely as this sounds it doesn't match up with player habits. :-/
Oh I understand, but as a paying customer the DDoS attack should be Sony's problem, not mine. I appreciate that it's a real head-scratcher for them, but if you're going to change for an online service that can be crippled by some illiterate idiot teenagers, figure it out or make it free.
It's not that simple and you must know it. This attack affected Xbox Live as well and Microsoft's infrastructure kicks the shit out of Sony's.

There is no way to prevent a DDoS. There is no "figure it out" here, unfortunately. Making the service free wouldn't change anything either (look at Steam), but sure, you wouldn't have to pay a monthly/yearly fee for it. Which means Sony has even less funds to spend on mitigation, so they might as well not bother - which means the online service becomes even more prone to being attacked... there really isn't an upside to this.

This is absolutely 100% true. It's something that everyone who has any interest in Destiny should reconcile with themselves.

Unfortunately as lovely as this sounds it doesn't match up with player habits. :-/
It's not that simple and you must know it. This attack affected Xbox Live as well and Microsoft's infrastructure kicks the shit out of Sony's.

Of course the hooks need to be there but the poster has a great point. There is a balance and Bungie seems like they're a long ways off from figuring it out.

realcZk

i think they've had prolexic since 2011

anyhow, just did a quick traceroute to auth.api.np.ac.playstation.net, which reveals that prolexic is definitely still involved
[redacted]
8. ae-12.r08.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
9. ae-2.r20.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
10. ae-12.r21.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
11. ae-44.r06.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net
12. 165.254.191.122
13. unknown.prolexic.com 209.200.184.41
14. unknown.prolexic.com 209.200.184.164
15. ???

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah that's how this game has felt since day one. As if it's a collection of mechanics drawn from research and data instead of a game designed to be a fun and cohesive experience.
*shrug* Ha, now this I disagree with completely.

The supplementary systems- all those things that have to do with something other than killing stuff- are indeed all drawn painstakingly from heartless analysis of player habits and decades of research metrics.

The gameplay, the mechanical experience of actually playing the game, is designed to be extremely fun, cohesive and rewarding. And the fact that it is is why we're all here.

I keep thinking about what the Anti-Destiny would be like. A game where they got all the other stuff right- alllll the other systems designed with the individual in mind, crafted to be extraordinarily simple to understand, fun, convenient, and non-antagonistic, but the gameplay was manipulative, soulless and frustrating.

Pretty sure I'd have quit within 24 hours. :-/

SnakeEyes

Banned
There is no way to prevent a DDoS. There is no "figure it out" here, unfortunately. Making the service free wouldn't change anything either (look at Steam), but sure, you wouldn't have to pay a monthly/yearly fee for it. Which means Sony has even less funds to spend on mitigation, so they might as well not bother - which means the online service becomes even more prone to being attacked... there really isn't an upside to this.
The only "figure it out" is for Sony and MS to assist Law Enforcement and get these fuckers arrested, charged, and either in prison or juvie and away for any form of internet connection.

*shrug* Ha, now this I disagree with completely.

The supplementary systems- all those things that have to do with something other than killing stuff- are indeed all drawn painstakingly from heartless analysis of player habits and decades of research metrics.

The gameplay, the mechanical experience of actually playing the game, is designed to be extremely fun, cohesive and rewarding. And the fact that it is is why we're all here.

I keep thinking about what the Anti-Destiny would be like. A game where they got all the other stuff right- alllll the other systems designed with the individual in mind, crafted to be extraordinarily simple to understand, fun, convenient, and non-antagonistic, but the gameplay was manipulative, soulless and frustrating.

Pretty sure I'd have quit within 24 hours. :-/

Lol are you sure you are disagreeing with me?

I guess my problem is thus: what metric are you using to consider how successful they've been?

A lot of the most dedicated players have a love/hate relationship with the game. Also, the perception of Bungie among dedicated players. You know, things like people questioning their competence.

3DShovel

Is it playable on PS4 yet? I bought the expansion pass with some of the PSN money I got as a gift. Would like to check out some of the new content.

Shito

So, I come back from 2 days at my parents' house, and most surprisingly... I can't connect to psn.
Was thinking maybe some kind of Christmas miracle was going to make me dodge a bullet and that everything would get solved before I was back. Heh. Not necessarily a bad thing, though, I still have gifts to wrap, and I bought some games on steam during the sales that I never launched because of Destiny...

Of course the hooks need to be there but the poster has a great point. There is a balance and Bungie seems like they're a long ways off from figuring it out.

I disagree. The idea is flawed because the majority of players will definitely move on once they feel they've done all they want to. No matter what the game or how popular it was at it's peak, it will lose players over time if there isn't anything new added. There is no realistic possibility of retaining a playbase simply because "it's fun."

rNilla

So much this. Destiny has lots of issues but the gameplay, the core elements of gunplay, shooting, moving, etc. are superb and easily some of the best I have ever experienced.

Is it playable on PS4 yet? I bought the expansion pass with some of the PSN money I got as a gift. Would like to check out some of the new content.

Your mileage may vary. PSN on PS4 is working fine for some, and not for others, randomly.

I disagree. The idea is flawed because the majority of players will definitely move on once they feel they've done all they want to. No matter what the game or how popular it was at it's peak, it will lose players over time if there isn't anything new added. There is no realistic possibility of retaining a playbase simply because "it's fun."

Depends on what you define as "playerbase". What is the peak? What is the lowest value you'd accept as still be valid? People still play UO today, enough to keep it a sub MMO. Sure, not as many as at its height, but enough to keep the servers going. Does that still count? And to who? The people playing, or just observers who don't? If the company keeps it going, even with the "majority" having moved on, does that count, since the company thinks it's still worthwhile? Or is this a battle of usernumbers, where Game A having a million and Game B getting 2 million later, means Game B "wins"?

There are a lot of goalposts for "playerbase" that can be moved around at whim, so it might help to define them more clearly. You are right - no game retains its peak playerbase (that's what makes it a peak, after all). But what is the lower-limit where we stop considering a playerbase a valid playerbase? Half peak? Or just there being enough to keep the game going, instead of shut down?

hydruxo

Every time I play another FPS I can't help but appreciate how amazing Destiny's gunplay is compared to CoD, FarCry, etc. Gameplay is just so much snappier and satisfying in Destiny. So yeah, that's the main thing that keeps me playing.

That's why I said the hooks need to be there

Frenden

Banned
I'm sorry... It sounds like you're expecting Bungie to be reasonable....
It may not be an easy thing to do. I'd be supremely bummed at missing a chance to upgrade Hawk and Baller or No Land Beyond (gotta catch 'em all!), but who knows how difficult it may be to change Xur's longevity mid stream?

I can't get mad at Bungie on this one. Or PSN, really. The outtage is on LS's head.

Top Bottom