• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

Well, he has the Hawkmoon upgrade for those lucky fellas owning one.

I was up super late last night. I upgraded my hawkmoon only to realize I already had the upgraded version. So I basically paid a bunch to reset the XP on my leveled gun. Now I do t have enough to upgrade my jellyhorn :c

#firstworldproblems

Fuck. This is bull shit. I need to upgrade stuff!!!

In the mean time, I bought Freedom Wars for my Vita. Also, I found out I'm allergic to paprika. :(

CLBridges

Thought I would wake up and get me some quality Destiny time to get glimmer, upgrades etc. but nope lol! PSN is still overloaded I guess, should've just stayed logged in while I went to bed. Hopefully a spot will open up soon and I can slide on in.

Bungie is also partly responsible for complaints towards their own game when they have bullshit schedules for Xur appearing only 2 out of 7 days a week,

IMO, he should just be there all times

SnakeEyes

Banned
Bungie is also partly responsible for complaints towards their own game when they have bullshit schedules for Xur appearing only 2 out of 7 days a week,

Since he deals in Exotic gear exclusively, I disagree completely. I'm happy with the fact he only appears Friday through Sunday for me.

Rixa

Since he deals in Exotic gear exclusively, I disagree completely. I'm happy with the fact he only appears Friday through Sunday for me.

Yes and no.
Because its not anymore about buying stuff.

Its:
- Buying stuff
- Upgrading stuff
- Some quests (exotic weapons & Eris questline) invole Xur

I was fine with the weekend thing when he only showed up to sell exotics, but if Bungie is really going to make us rely on him to upgrade the old exotics with this stupid ass system of theirs, then yes, he needs to be here everyday.

Deku Tree

I have the CE ghost equipped on my guardian but for some reason on PS3 the CE is not unlocked for me. So the plain grey ghost shows up in game and the CE ghost is greyed out and it says "requires collectors edition " in red even though it stays equipped.

he's not there on Sundays, I wake up in the morning eat my Cheerios and he's not on Sunday.

I got an Exotic Missive Bounty for Super Good Advice. I can't log onto PSN. I just need to pay him a visit to his sorry ass so I can get this stupid Exotic Weapon Bounty started.

But guess what, PSN is down, and Xur will be gone in the twlight of Saturday night.

So I got this Exotic bounty sitting there for 1 week, 2 weeks because I must wait for Xur

Yup. If he's gonna be the most important NPC in the game then he should always be in the tower and they can refresh his stock once a week. But they want you playing on the weekends so...

I just realized I got this game for free on PS3. I heard people are logging in on ps3 fine so worse comes to worst I can access the game before Xur leaves.

Anybody backtracking to PS3 until this blows over, please add me. PSN squidhands

I got a PS4 for Christmas, but it may not get use for a little while. lol

hydruxo

He should be there all the time with a 7 day reset window.

Agreed. I don't get why they thought it would be a good idea to have Xur do the upgrades anyways. I get it, he's the exotic guy, but they should have just let the Gunsmith handle upgrades and have his upgrade stock reset every 7 days. Really not that complicated.

Agreed. I don't get why they thought it would be a good idea to have Xur do the upgrades anyways. I get it, he's the exotic guy, but they should have just let the Gunsmith handle upgrades and have his upgrade stock reset every 7 days. Really not that complicated.

When the weekend comes and everybody has time to play they want everyone to be grinding destiny instead of playing some other game

Ghazi

Are they going to extend xur's appearance if this PSN outage continues through the weekend?
Probably not, don't understand why everyone expects this. There is very likely minimal staff at Bungie right now and I doubt they care that much about this.

With Xur's new uses I think he should stay on Sunday's though.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Are they going to extend xur's appearance if this PSN outage continues through the weekend?
There's been no public comment from DeeJ/Bungie since this started, so I doubt it, unless it's an 11th hour miracle.

DeeJ is probably in Cancún right now with his family, spending whatever phat bonus Bungie staff received from Activision for Destiny sales :)

hydruxo

When the weekend comes and everybody has time to play they want everyone to be grinding destiny instead of playing some other game

I'm sure there's some Destiny players out there who have weekend jobs and can't even hit up Xur too. The novelty of him coming every weekend is fun but I think there's better ways they could do it.

I'm sure there's some Destiny players out there who have weekend jobs and can't even hit up Xur too. The novelty of him coming every weekend is fun but I think there's better ways they could do it.

Yeah it's awful. I mean yeah before he was just an arms dealer but now he's more than that

So I saw that people were having success with psn on ps3 last night and I remembered I have a ps3 copy thru crossbuy and started downloading it last night as a backup. I didn't know I would have to be using it so soon!

After finally downloading all the patches, I am back playing destiny!

I am even using my dualshock4 by usb cable to smooth the transition. I had to switch the l1/l2 & r1/r2 so it works properly. Also I defintely had to adjust look sensitivity. Also you don't get rumble.

The experience largely carries over BUT IT'S SO BLURRY. Also the menus lag way more but I'll gladly take all these just to get my fix.

Good luck to everybody and happy holidays.

Xur has always been tough for me. I work 12 hour shifts that include Friday and Saturday. Factor in sleep, commute time and other family obligations, I have a very small window to get anything from him.

I'm talking NZT here. He appears for me 10pm Friday - 10pm Sunday.

No. See above.
Typically when discussing online games like this, referring to a time is always based on server time unless otherwise noted and Destiny server time is PST.
And I don't count that one hour into Sunday as anything significant ;)

PSN seriously still down? The fuck am I even paying for? Not renewing my sub after all this crap.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Friday through Saturday, brah
It's 4:00AM EST Friday to 4:00AM EST Sunday. Depending on your timezone he could well be there for much of Sunday :p

Xur's arrival and the phase that starts every weekend when people are trying to decide what to buy/upgrade or pass on, asking for advice, and expressing excitement and/or
but really a vastly greater amount of
disillusionment, corresponds with an objective spike in player activity both in communities like this one and in-game, on a weekly basis. The consistently-recurring but highly temporary nature of his visits are one of a countless number of devices encouraging longitudinal play (i.e. "check back next week!"). It's an extremely noticeable effect, not a subtle one- comparable to the surge in activity in our GW2 guild on weekends when we host guild missions, but without requiring any effort whatsoever on the part of individual players to facilitate the activity for others or accommodate the schedules of the host(s). Discounting the frustrations of the individual player (something Destiny does at nearly every opportunity), it is an extremely successful dynamic. I notice it every single week, without fail, in these OTs.

Memetically fun as it may be to imagine that Bungie HQ is a bunch of orangutans on keyboards that lucked into a successful game without any idea what they're doing, there are quite a few design decisions at work here that are pretty well thought-out. :-/

Top Bottom