• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

LiK

Welp, no sky diving for me tomorrow. GF is stuck in Delaware due to her car breaking down. she's staying over there with her parents for a few more days because of it, We're still doing it but now we have to settle on a new date. we're looking at sometime during February break now.

I wasn't looking forward to it anyway. My body can rest easy now.

More Destiny

I don't know what's worth fighting for
Or why I have to raid.
I don't know why I whine
And say what I don't mean.
I don't know how I got this way
I'll never be Guardian Lord
So I'm breaking the habit,
I'm breaking the grind
Tonight

xCobalt

Just leveled up my Dead Orbit rank and got the Revenant shader! Goes pretty well with An Insurmountable Skullfort.

kPxluCa.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still looking to learn the Crota raid if anyone is doing it tonight. PS4 ID: Ozone31
I'm doing a relaxed run tonight, 9PM EST, will have at least one slot if you can make it.

We won't be cheesing or quitting at deathsinger or any stuff like that if you're into that sort of thing

SnakeEyes

Banned
Keep this in mind, I designed this rhyme blah blah I tried soooooo harddddd and gottttt soooo farrrrrrr, but in theeeeee enddddd it doesn't even mattteeeeerrrrrrrr.
I still remember this song being used for fan-made Dragon Ball Z music videos, featuring Future Trunks and his shitty future timeline.

Ambitious

Both my Warlock and my Hunter have three 36 light armor pieces now (raid + 1 exotic). I've got 39 radiant shards and 27 radiant energies and I need just ~1500 more rep points with Eris to hit rank 4.
Should have my first level 32 character on Tuesday with a bit of luck.

shem935

Banned
Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between Destiny and Borderlands 1/2?

Main difference in my opinion is the population of random people in your instance of the world. Having a public event happen and it's a target and you are struggling to bring it down and all of a sudden the cavalry comes in from over the hill and you all take it down together. One of the best experiences one could have with destiny. In contrast borderlands feels very closed, even though there is coop the game in no way is built around introducing you to players or making you feel like you are part of a larger world.

Can anyone tell me what are the main differences between Destiny and Borderlands 1/2?
More loot in borderland and it actually has a story. Damn good co-op wouldn't recommend playing alone, but that goes for both games. Better enemie look design. World feels alive. Actual NPCs out in the world.

Destiny...ehhh better pvp I guess. Better enemie A.I.

Let's wait for Destiny 2 before comparing the two. Borderlands 1 was kinda meh compared to 2 imo.

Stantron

Took my whole morning today but that feeling when you finally complete it... And then you have to go kill Xyor :facepalm:

I'm not too worried about Xyor this time around since I'm 31. I remember the last thorn bounty I had was with my Titan so the void sticky grenade helped a lot. This time I need to rely on all weapons.

SkylineRKR

Took my whole morning today but that feeling when you finally complete it... And then you have to go kill Xyor :facepalm:

Took me about 9 crucible games. Epilogue, Final Rest and Corrective Measure/Truth.

Xyor is very hard to solo, I couldn't do it because of the Knights and my lack of a Fatebringer. But with just one friend it was painfully easy to do. Apparently I Horned Xyor in the face as Thorn popped up.

I actually liked that Epic Strike.

Been doing Roc strikes all day trying to grind out some coins and it definitely seems like the DLC rare weapons not only look cooler but a lot of them have really good stat and mod combos.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sure

Borderlands survives and thrives on the following:
-A general irreverent and funny-ass tone with some great characters, even if you never interact with them all that much
-An enormous variety of weapons and modifications, procedurally generated so getting something slightly better than your current equip happens (in comparison to Destiny) pretty much constantly. Much more like diablo in the loot-equip-proceed feedback loop. So far as I understand there are millions of possible guns that can be generated and some are ridiculous. Guns can be traded.
-Solid multiplayer (but nothing in the sense of serious/organized PvP) for 4 players and generally fun, non-competitive atmosphere. A dash of fun vehicle traversal/combat sometimes too.
-MMORPG-style hub-and-fetch questing that puts you "out in the world" frequently even if the tasks themselves are rote
-Clean and attractive (if not that technically impressive) edge-shaded art design

Destiny:
-Rather vastly, unquestionably superior shooting, melee and locomotion mechanics
-More tactical multiplayer gameplay; consider how a communicative team can leverage Orbs of Light. There is an organized/matchmade and very active PvP side in the Crucible
-Much smaller set of obtainable inventory, with mod variety on legendaries and none on Exotics; makes the possibility of frequent upgrades a lot smaller, but also creates a "collect-em-all" atmosphere and makes certain individual guns (that you know are "the right one" if it drops for you) extremely desirable
-Instanced loot drops at all times (in Borderlands, if two players want an item that drops it's first-come-first-serve or flip a coin or whatever)
-Raids, a content type that has no counterpart in the BL games
Main difference in my opinion is the population of random people in your instance of the world. Having a public event happen and it's a target and you are struggling to bring it down and all of a sudden the cavalry comes in from over the hill and you all take it down together. One of the best experiences one could have with destiny. In contrast borderlands feels very closed, even though there is coop the game in no way is built around introducing you to players or making you feel like you are part of a larger world.
This is a good point, but I feel like some of the other stuff I didn't mention that destiny gets right (public events/the psuedo-open-world matchmaking, general great art, sound, and music, the classes/subclass ability trees) didn't really set it apart as much as they are nice touches. I love the sensation of coming across a stranger and cooperating on the fly though, there's no doubt about it.

R0ckman

This game is becoming way too unstable, bugs popping up here and there, is this normal in games that are constantly updated? Or is bungie rushing some of these things?

Jaleel

Took me about 9 crucible games. Epilogue, Final Rest and Corrective Measure/Truth.

Xyor is very hard to solo, I couldn't do it because of the Knights and my lack of a Fatebringer. But with just one friend it was painfully easy to do. Apparently I Horned Xyor in the face as Thorn popped up.

I actually liked that Epic Strike.

Yup, took me less than 10 games today to get Thorn and Bad Juju. AE, Final Rest (Void FR) and The Truth. I won't lie, it definitely puts the pressure on you but it brings the best out. Kind of like Iron Banner. Don't see my titan using JuJu but if Xur ever sells an Obsidian Mind im def rolling a lock.

Top Bottom